GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-26-2011, 08:12   #21
tomtsr

I'll give them all the info they need but they aren't getting my SSN. Period.

If a Bad Guy can cover 21 feet and attack in less than 2 seconds, how much damage can they do if it takes 2 minutes for the police to arrive?
tomtsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 21:26   #22
11A

Everyone has their way of handling interactions with an LEO. If I have initiated the contact and I'm asked to provide name, SSN, etc. then I will comply. That saves me from the hassle of being mistaken as a wanted person of the same name. It's a very small chance, I'll admit, but I'd rather play it safe.

Fortunately for me, all of the interactions I have had with an LEO have been of a positive nature.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
11A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 21:42   #23
muscles
CLM Number 286
Charter Lifetime Member

asdfsad

Last edited by muscles; 07-25-2012 at 21:47..
muscles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 21:48   #24
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

Quote:
Originally Posted by itisbruno View Post
my ssn is 567-68-0515

hey>>>>>so is mine!

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 22:26   #25
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

Damn the man!

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters".

"A person who won't reason has no advantage over one who can't reason."

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."

“Ignorance is a lot like alcohol: the more you have of it, the less you are able to see its effect on you.”

Originally Posted by Rooster Rugburn:
Didn't the whole sheepdog thing actually start right here on Glock Talk? A bunch of wannabees bought a bunch of T-shirts and took an oath to defend those who won't defend themselves?
TBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 23:37   #26
itisbruno
CLM Number 103
Devious Member

Social Group Forums

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
daily to give food for animals in a shelter or sanctuary...for FREE
itisbruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 23:48   #27
4TS&W
2A RKBA 4EVER

Wow Bruno.. did that guy live? (I'm assuming that was coke he ate?)
4TS&W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 00:13   #28
itisbruno
CLM Number 103
Devious Member

I have no idea, 4T, sorry

Social Group Forums

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
daily to give food for animals in a shelter or sanctuary...for FREE

Last edited by itisbruno; 02-09-2012 at 00:13..
itisbruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 00:55   #29
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

IIIIIIIiiiiiiiiiiiii..............LIKE...........HER...............Oh, was there sound too????????

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 23:19   #30
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

Social Group Forums
Old 03-02-2012, 08:51   #31
FL Airedale
Dog Breath

I will give my SSN to the police and I also put it on the registration forms when I buy a gun from a dealer. Reason: There is another guy in my town with the same name as me. He has been arrested several times for crimes that would exclude him from buying a firearm.

I really don't want to be handcuffed and taken to jail because of mistaken identity.
I used to be a people person but people ruined that for me.
FL Airedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:19   #32
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
NRA Life Member

Don't talk to the Cops.........
faawrenchbndr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:59   #33
GRIMLET
Deceased

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtsr View Post
I'll give them all the info they need but they aren't getting my SSN. Period.
Its not really needed. Your name and address will give enough info for your neighbors ss#. Really. There are programs available to leo's that leave no stone unturned.

Making order out of chaos
GRIMLET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:10   #34
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

Social Group Forums
Old 07-15-2012, 14:18   #35
AZL

The SSN puzzles me. In 23 years...I have never asked for a SSN while taking a routine complaint. If the contact results in arrest...detention officers at the jail will obtain a SSN. So...the reason the officers in question asked for the SSN is pretty simple: Someone above their paygrade told them to.

When you are making a public contact with a complaintant or a subject...you must get all pertinent information...and that includes contact information. All the information regarding the incident also comes at this time, so it can go into the report.

You have NO idea the amount of paper we have to generate for those above us! Even when we get a 911 call from someone who's "neighbor was rude" or my personal favorite "he said the f-word"...we have to write a report. There is information that is expected to be in every report...and if it isn't there...guess what rolls down hill.

All i's must be dotted and all t's must be crossed. From our shift commanders to prosecutors...(professional nitpickers) they want this info and we HAVE to get it. Some departments have personel (not sworn) who's sole job is to enter stats from contact cards into a gee-whizz computer program to show data on call volume/response time ~ type of incident/versus geographical area...it goes on and on and on.

They also want us to account for all the time we don't spend wolfing down donuts, free coffee, and stomping on your civil rights. Because you know...that's what we do according to some folks.

Think of it this way....You're a plumber. Someone calls you to plunge their toilet. When you get there...they say..."No, it's cool, I found my plunger" A lot of calls, even through the 911 system are "plugged up toilet" calls. The fact is SOMEONE made that call, and like a good plumber (but with faster response time)...we have to show up to make sure the turds are gone.

Taken another step...we wouldn't even BE talking to you if YOU hadn't called. YOU, apparently, wanted to talk to a cop. So, we showed up.

You might not believe this...but not everyone who makes the initial complaint is always the true victim. There is such as thing as the "race to the phone"....the kid on the playground who starts a fight, gets his clock cleaned, then runs to the teacher to rat out the kid who he picked on, but got his butt whupped. The interview phase is where we often figure this out. The way that is done, is to get ALL the information possible.

Everyon has a boss...and typically every boss in a department above the rank of patrol sergeant is a tactical desk operator...and have a lot in common with a diaper...always on your butt and usually full of crap.
AZL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 14:58   #36
CitizenOfDreams

Moral of the story: never interact with the police. You get dirty, and the police likes it.
CitizenOfDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:44   #37
nickxrs

You called 911 over where somebody parked, and because a man in his week chair? I'd give you the run around too if you kept calling an emergency line for simple stuff like that. Might want take your own advice and mind your own business. You'll meet someone who won't agree with you, thn you'll really have to call 911.

Posted using [URL=http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/]Outdoor Hub Campfire[/URL]
nickxrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:05   #38
GlockRik

I've only called 911 a couple of times, once in Tn. and a car on fire on I-65. They only asked me for a mile marker. The other in Alabama and a cow in the hwy at night. No personal info required either time, though I'm sure my number was recorded.
Old 12-22-2012, 06:02   #39
Sensai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay1 View Post
I did it again today and don't know why I don't just learn my lesson.

Background: I live across from a school. Kids were drinking and breaking bottles against the shool and I wasn't sure what other vandalism they were doing so I called the police. They came to my house about a half hour later. They sat in my living room, asked for my drivers license, asked for my social security number and interviewed me like I was the criminal for about 20 minutes. Never found the kids or responded to that.

Number two: Guy in a wheel chair, no coat, just a T shirt. He comes down the road in a wheel chair in the snow, this is Wis in the winter. He is shivering and is disoriented. I take him in my garage, couldn't get the big guy up the stairs, give him a hot cup of coffee, call the cops. Again it is all about me. Driver's license, soc number, etc, etc. I asked the guy if he needed my finger prints for caring about the old guy and not letting him die of exposure.

Today, I am in a strip mall infront of a drug store picking up a perscription. Guy pulls into a handicap stall. My Mom has a handicap sticker. I tell him if he leaves it there I will call the cops. He walks up to the door and sees me on the phone then turns around and moves his car, I hang up. This all happened very quickly. I get a call back from the dispatcher asking me if I am OK. I tell her why I called. She says that they have to physically see me to make sure that I am OK. I said that I was within two blocks of the police department and there would be no reason to dispatch an officer for this that I would stop by. She says no problem. I go check in like I told the dispactcher that I would. 10 minutes later she says the cops are still too busy to see me. I say no problem, but I don't have time for this I am leaving.

Now I am waiting for an officer to show up at my door and grill me for 1/2 hr. Why do I care about other people. Why don't I just mind my own business. I told the last cop about the school that I didn't care if the damn thing burned down, I wouldn't call them again if I am treated this way and I went ahead and did it again today. What's wrong with me?
You care,that's who you are. No one said the right thing is the easy thing. My wife and I just had this discussion, and she said "do you want to just not care anymore", my response was, you either care or you don't,it's not a decision you make it's just who you are.
Sensai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 06:58   #40
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by itisbruno View Post
My SSN is 567-68-0515

Better check your local laws before going that route - it's a 1-5 year felony, here, if you give that number when the police ask for your SSN.