GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-07-2012, 00:44   #21
DRAGON1970

I love to buy used Kimbers with discolored barrels. I just throw them in my blast cabinet and hit the barrel with glass beads at about 60psi and give them a nice matte finish. I have even run a couple over a felt polishing wheel and they cleaned up nicely. I have gotten some really good deals on these defective kimbers.

I have found the best way to avoid future "rust" is to apply a nice thin even coat of oil.

Last edited by DRAGON1970; 02-07-2012 at 00:45..
DRAGON1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 04:24   #22
mace85
NRA GOA USPSA

I just picked up an RIA compact. I know the officer sized 1911 may not be what your looking for. But I am quite impressed with it. I have fondled with some ATI's at a gun shop and I was also impressed. The STI spartan is a decent gun for the money too.

My Blog
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
mace85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:42   #23
MajorD

with patience and searching find a good used Colt 80 series in that price range. All the other guns you mention are foreign made( do not think this means they are not well made- most are) of those you mention the sti spartan would be my choice- there'd never be any need to upgrade anything on one -they come set up pretty wel right out of the gate
MajorD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 15:54   #24
DubfromGA

My Range Officer is the best value of any pistol I've owned.

Great trigger, highly accurate...crazy accurate, no FCS, no ambi, excellent sights....all I need to do is add a gold bead to the front sight.

1911 Forums

Zero regrets. Very pleased.
DubfromGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 16:55   #25
brickboy240

Been rocking a TLE II Kimber down here in hot and humid Houston for years and never seen rust.

Blue Wonder Armadillo is your friend. Coat the barrel and you'll never see rust.

I was told that the early XDs also had slide rusting problems but again...Blue Wonder Armadillo and in 10 years I have never seen any rust.

If metals is going to rust....it WILL do it here....still no rust on the Kimber or XD.

Buy a Kimber and use this:

http://bluewonder.us/BlueWonderArmadillo.html

- brickboy240
Old 02-07-2012, 18:06   #26
Ruggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickboy240 View Post
Been rocking a TLE II Kimber down here in hot and humid Houston for years and never seen rust.

Blue Wonder Armadillo is your friend. Coat the barrel and you'll never see rust.

I was told that the early XDs also had slide rusting problems but again...Blue Wonder Armadillo and in 10 years I have never seen any rust.

If metals is going to rust....it WILL do it here....still no rust on the Kimber or XD.

Buy a Kimber and use this:

http://bluewonder.us/BlueWonderArmadillo.html

- brickboy240
Yep I am south of Houston, nearer to the coast. We can rust anything baby!
Ruggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 18:29   #27
Usmcfox

I absolutely adore the sa range officer and if Hickok45 likes it it's more than good enough for me. And on the Kimber issue I went to the gunshot today and checked out an eclipse that had been in the counter for a while and low and behold rust on the bbl. that's truly disappointing for the money it's like buying a 2011 mustang with rust on the hood and the dealer telling you it's just cosmetic.
Usmcfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 01:22   #28
Walkertl

1911 Forums

The top one is an ATI Compact in 45acp which I just picked up tonight. It will see the range tomorrow. Dry feeding, it strips and ejects snapcaps, round nose, and Hornady XTPs. With tax, I paid $463 out the door.

The bottom is an RIA Compact in 9mm, and it shoots beautifully. The two-tone was a bit hard to find, and I picked it up used.

Fit and finish on both are very nice, slide to frame on both are a tight fit, no slop. Triggers are both smooth and break clean.

The RIA has a 4" bull barrel, the ATI is a standard 4.25" barrel with bushing and 1/2 length guide rod.

The 9mm holds 9+1, the .45acp holds 8+1. The RIA weighs 2lbs 10oz, and the ATI weighs 2lbs 13oz. For comparison, a Glock 23 loaded weighs 2lbs, a full size MilSpec Springer loaded weighs 2lbs 15oz, and a Sig RCS with it's alloy frame weighs 2lb 4oz loaded.

Each one came with one mag, the RIA came in a plastic carry case, the ATI came in a padded cardboard box.

So far, I'm happy with them and would recommend them to anyone.

Walker
Walkertl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1911, 45acp, para ordinance, sti, taurus