Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-06-2012, 11:22   #1
XDm2Glocks&w

RTF grips smooth?

I wore my gen 4 G23 for the first time under my shirt with my Bladetech OWB holster and it rubbed my side raw.
My question is this: has anyone smoothed out the one side of the grip on there Glocks and if so how?
XDm2Glocks&w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 22:28   #2
Jane221B

I have a couple of RTF2 Glocks, whose texture is a bit rougher than the Gen4's. For the most part, I like it, but on one (the big one), I would get a raw spot on the palm of my hand; right in the crease between the fleshy part of my thumb and my palm (the 'life' line, or some such nonsense..?)... If I put more than a couple magazines through it, it would really start to sting; drove me nuts...

So, I identified the area to address by dabbing a small line of grease on the spot where it was abraded, then grabbing the grip tightly . The grease transferred perfectly to the grip without smearing too much, and I circled the area with a chalk pencil... Next I stuck some adhesive-backed 600-Grit sandpaper to a small wood sanding block, and VERY carefully hit the little 'pyramids' just along the spine of the backstrap, where I'd marked it... After getting it smoothed out some [again, VERY LIGHTLY] , I took an old 3M Scotch Brite pad, and just lightly went over the area to knock off any tiny burrs or anything, and to clean it up a bit...

That did the trick. I didn't take them ALL the way down, you can still see where they were, because I didn't want the sandpaper to actually start cutting into the surface of the grip; then you gotta deal with trying to making the sanded area's surface texture match the surrounding area (unless you don't care)...

Now, having explained all that, it occurs to me that maybe you'd be better served by getting a textured rubber grip-sleeve, like the excellent ones made by Hogue:
[url]http://www.getgrip.com/main/overview/handall.html[/url]
I've had these before, and while they do have a surface texture, its NO WHERE NEAR what the Glock RTF texture is like, and its rubber, so it should do the trick. Plus it would probably [definitely] be a better option than sanding one side of your grip smooth; this would severely negatively affect the resale value of your gun, whereas the sleeve will actually protect it some, keeping it in better shape for if/when you do sell it...

Anyway, I hope this helps, and either way, good luck with getting it to where you like it..! Cheers!
Old 02-18-2012, 07:45   #3
ElrodCod

I think this forum is for help with the website.

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=498372