Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-23-2012, 16:34   #1
GSX-MAN

Please be patient, 1911 noob questions

Hi all,

Short description of my situation:

I am living in The Netherlands, where we have a limit of 5 firearms, limited to sporting or hunting purposes. I currenly own a Parker Hale .30-06 match rifle, a High Standard .22 target pistol, an AR15 with 2 uppers (counts as 1 firearm) and a Smith & Wesson 5906 9mm pistol.

My S&W 5906 is a piece of crap. I can't hit the broad side of a barn with it, unless I spend an extreme amount of training on it. Quite frankly, I'm sick of it and I need to get rid of it. It's taking valuable license space and I only use it in matches to keep my friends company. I really need a decent match pistol.

Enter 1911...

Currently, i'm involved in two kinds of matches. A semi-dynamic pistol competion, for which any gun with a six round capacity would fit the bill, and an IPSC-like competion, for which I sometimes need a sidearm with a high capacity.

If I get rid of the S&W, I would have 2 open spaces on my license, so I'm thinking of getting 2 guns. The current choices would be a Taurus PT1911 and a CZ75 SP01 Shadow.

Any thoughts on the Taurus? It seems a quite complete package for a decent price. They sell for about 745 euro's, that's about 915 dollars, and that's a decent price for a pistol with an extended beavertail, decent sights, ambidextrous safety and a picatinny rail.

Of course I like the STI Trojan better, but that one's over 1900 dollars, double the price. A SIG 1911 would be rather nice, too. That one would set me back about 1550 dollars.

If I go for the Taurus, I would spend the same amount of money on a CZ Shadow, which would mean I have 2 brand new pistols for about 1850 dollars.

Advice, feedback or blunt rudeness is greatly appreciated.
Rimfire club member #106
GSX-MAN is offline   Reply With Quote