Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-11-2012, 19:58   #1
ctious

going black bear hunting with g20 load help

So i got my bear tag for this fall. I am planning on using 200 gr xtp. I am wondering what everyone has found to push them to the max. I have longshot and 800 x. What one pushes it faster? I have bluedot also but i don't think that will push as fast. I have a 6in barrel and want to hit over 1300 fps closer to 1400 would be better. I have all new brass and cci 300 primers.

Looking for ideas on loads being It's too cold out now (teens) to work up a max load that i will be using in 70 to 80 deg temps.

I will be hunting over bait so shot will be right around 20 yards.

Also i have been thinking about using hardcast also. beartooth if I did.
ctious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 20:18   #2
TRaGiK

Send a message via Yahoo to TRaGiK
Assuming its a aftermarket 6 inch barrel, and not the Glock 6 inch barrel...

Im loading 200gr XTPs over 9.0 gr of Longshot with either winchester or CCI non-magnum primers with a 1.26 oal. Out of my Storm Lake 5.3 inch barrel, im getting 1275 fps. With a 6 inch, 1325 fps should he pretty easy. I've tried this load only in new starline brass.

With a hard cast bear tooth 200gr, im using 9.0 grains of Longshot in that load as well, with win or CCI primers, with a 1.25 oal, and get a 1285 fps average. Get nearly identical averages in once fired Norma brass, and once fired Remington nickel brass.

I couldn't find any info on the cast bullet, so I worked up to 9.0 going off of fmj data, starting low and working up. The XTP data is over book by a good margin iirc, and gives bigger smileys than im comfortable with in a stock barrel.
TRaGiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 20:26   #3
ctious

Yes a lonewolf barrel. Sounds like good speeds. Have u pushed higher at all?
Old 02-11-2012, 20:42   #4
TRaGiK

Went up to 9.2 on the hardcast loads, and got a 1305 average, but recoil was becoming significant at that point. I didnt feel like another 20fps was worth beating up the gun for. If a 200gr hardcast bullet at 1285 fps wont kill whatever im shooting at, its unlikely 1305fps will.

I loaded these specifically for black bear defense (north carolina black bear which are generally fairly small) and feel these should easily do the job.
Old 02-11-2012, 20:47   #5
TRaGiK

One thing to add. At 9.0, im getting some primer flattening in the storm lake barrel. At 9.2, primer flattening is significant. Proceed with caution with this load. What worked for me, might not work for you.
Old 02-11-2012, 20:55   #6
ctious

I have loaded 180s to 9.8 with no problems. I will be sure work up with the 200s
Old 02-11-2012, 23:44   #7
smokeross
GTDS Member #49

Better go for the cubs.

Shoot Low Boys, They're Riding Shetland Ponies.
smokeross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 10:18   #8
ctious

The 10 mm will handle the big black bears fine. It's a 200 gr bullet at 1300 fps. A lot of 200 gr loads in other proven bear guns don't do much more for speed. A well placed bullet will put down the largest black bear.
Old 02-12-2012, 13:20   #9
TRaGiK

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeross View Post
Better go for the cubs.
He's talking about Black bear...not Grizzly's. While there are some that get huge, (1,000ish pounds), that's usually not the case.

He's also hunting, from a stand, at 20 yards...not defending.
Old 02-12-2012, 19:46   #10
Kegs
Ol 8 fingers ;)

I'd go 180, because its plenty heavy and you can build up a lot more speed with it. In this caliber, you will learn (if you are paying attention) that speed = energy. So long as you have the necessary penetration (and the 180s have plenty), get the speed going and things are going to die.

Make sure your shot is well placed and you shouldn't have any problems with even a big (500+ lbs.) bruin.

Up here we have had blackies go 700-800 lbs., but that's max. A 600 pounder is huge by any accounts.

The one who ambles behind my house occasionally might do 150-180, which is more typical. I personally wouldn't take that bear even on the last day of the hunt.
Old 02-12-2012, 19:52   #11
Kegs
Ol 8 fingers ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRaGiK View Post

He's also hunting, from a stand, at 20 yards...not defending.
A quick true story on the news last year - a guy got mauled by a couple bears while in a stand with his bow - illegally deer hunting - and got busted by the game warden (we call them conservation officers up here) for illegally hunting.

Who needs a game warden when you got a couple of bears? He was up in the tree. Blackies climb trees readily, but not post-10mm.
Old 02-12-2012, 20:05   #12
jtull7
Pistolero

10mm Reloading Forum

Every day I face Ogden, Utah, and pray that God might bless John Moses Browning.

Outpost Member #69 I collect and shoot many fine firearms. CCW: NM, CT, and NH. N5JHT. WFR. Former LEO. SAR. Bilateral trans-tibial amputee. Survivor of bubonic plague. Tough sum-*****.
jtull7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 20:06   #13
TRaGiK

Anybody that's hunts bear with a bow is nuts to begin with, and has a mauling in their future. I've seen several shows on tv, and besides bunny rabbits and birds, I've yet to see a show on tv where the game is DRT.

But how the hell do you get mauled, while in a stand, even if all you have is a bow? I understand they can climbh trees, but surely you can get an arrow or two in a bear in the time it takes him to see you and climb the tree...
Old 02-14-2012, 09:41   #14
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.

Send a message via AIM to nickE10mm Send a message via MSN to nickE10mm Send a message via Yahoo to nickE10mm
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctious View Post
So i got my bear tag for this fall. I am planning on using 200 gr xtp. I am wondering what everyone has found to push them to the max. I have longshot and 800 x. What one pushes it faster? I have bluedot also but i don't think that will push as fast. I have a 6in barrel and want to hit over 1300 fps closer to 1400 would be better. I have all new brass and cci 300 primers.

Looking for ideas on loads being It's too cold out now (teens) to work up a max load that i will be using in 70 to 80 deg temps.

I will be hunting over bait so shot will be right around 20 yards.

Also i have been thinking about using hardcast also. beartooth if I did.
I've loaded a 200gr WFNGC up over 1350fps from a 6" fully supported barrel using 800X and CCI300 primers. I'd be a lot more comfortable with this load over an XTP if going after bruins.
10 Ring #1033 - Longslide #1045 - 10mm Loader #1066

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Why do I carry a 10mm?
“Because a 9mm only kills your body… the 10mm kills your soul.”
nickE10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:53   #15
Kegs
Ol 8 fingers ;)

Quote:
Anybody that's hunts bear with a bow is nuts to begin with, and has a mauling in their future. I've seen several shows on tv, and besides bunny rabbits and birds, I've yet to see a show on tv where the game is DRT.

But how the hell do you get mauled, while in a stand, even if all you have is a bow? I understand they can climbh trees, but surely you can get an arrow or two in a bear in the time it takes him to see you and climb the tree...
He was poaching deer and the bears didn't like it. He must have been stinky in the wrong way...
Old 02-24-2012, 08:44   #16
ctrout

Quote:

I hunt bears with a bow and don't feel threatened in doing so. Watch this video and see how fast a wounded bear can make it 20 feet up a tree (and back down again). I doubt even the best archer could make even one well executed shot on a target moving this fast. In this video the arrow passes thru the bear at the 13 second mark.

By the way, when I am bowhunting for bears, I do carry a side arm. Usually a 45 LC with 330gr Beartooth hard cast moving at about 1200fps. Sometimes I carry the 10mm or 45 Super.

Last edited by ctrout; 02-24-2012 at 08:48..
ctrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:59   #17
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.

Send a message via AIM to nickE10mm Send a message via MSN to nickE10mm Send a message via Yahoo to nickE10mm
Wow, ctrout....FAST!!!!!
10 Ring #1033 - Longslide #1045 - 10mm Loader #1066

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Why do I carry a 10mm?
“Because a 9mm only kills your body… the 10mm kills your soul.”
nickE10mm is offline   Reply With Quote