Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Closed Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 07:01   #141
SFCSMITH(RET)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBlue View Post
I have been walking more. I walked 3 miles in my work (dress cloths) one day this week. After three miles, my feet hurt and I had a very sore wear spot on my balls. I will be working on the shoes, but I have no idea what to do about the wear spot on my balls.

The other item I have been working on is money... I opened a Roth IRA account at TD Ameritrade. It looks like I can put 5K in for 2011 until April 15th 2012.
Try "monkey butt" powder. Very big in the cycling world, as is "chamois butter" you may honestly need to try different undies for hiking. I wear boxer/briefs most of the time, but for hiking and long walks, learned many a foot march ago that tighty whiteys were what worked for me.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:27   #142
greatwun

Send a message via AIM to greatwun
Picked up a Marlin Model 60 from Wally World at $177 out the door. Even though I just got my 22 rilfe now, for the past year Ive been buying a 500 pack of 22LR ammo at the end of each month. I still think $20 a box now is a bargain compared to what it will go for during SHFT.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:51   #143
TangoFoxtrot
OIF 04-05

More dry goods to store and revised some bug in plans.
Old 02-26-2012, 20:15   #144
LongGun1
StraightShooter

Well, this afternoon I installed the new SS Guiderod & 15 lb spring in the G19..

..removed the shok buff..

..and still could not get the PRIVI 147 gr to cycle!

Survival/Preparedness Forum

Lubed the weapon thoroughly, shot it stiff armed, with & without the AWC Abraxas..

..still would not cycle the slide!

The G19 cycled fine with the hotter lightweight ammo...such as the 115 & 124 gr...Corbon +P & similar.

But for maximum quiet...cycling the slide manually....the PRIVI could be very useful.

While at the private range...got a chance to see a new binary explosive target compound in action..

..very impressive!

Also got a chance to play with a bud's new toys...

..his new Trijicon ACOG/RMR combo...

..and his new Thermal Monocular....a FLIR Recon M-24

..rugged, compact, submersible, & can be used in weapons targeting applications with IR Lasers.

This may be the year I take the plunge & finally get a thermal monocular!

"Accuracy first, Speed second.....Speed first, Accuracy never"

Last edited by LongGun1; 02-26-2012 at 20:16..
Old 02-26-2012, 20:19   #145
emt1581
Curious Member

What is that??....A Pocketable FLIR monocular???

We have FLIR at my station but the last time I saw the model the fire-side used it weighed about 10lbs and was about a one foot cube in size with a handle under it. I'm guessing a pocket version would easily be between $2K and $10K.

-Emt1581
Old 02-26-2012, 21:30   #146
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by emt1581 View Post

We have FLIR at my station but the last time I saw the model the fire-side used it weighed about 10lbs and was about a one foot cube in size with a handle under it. I'm guessing a pocket version would easily be between $2K and $10K.

-Emt1581
Sounds like the unit I've seen and played with. It was cool. In a pocketable monocular it would be badass. And I'm thinking a good pocketable would be closer to that $10k mark...if not over! But I never looked into them

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)

Last edited by Warp; 02-26-2012 at 21:30..
Old 02-26-2012, 21:32   #147
LongGun1
StraightShooter

Quote:

-Emt1581

This one is $6K & about 14 oz....IIRC

The FLIR Recon M-24 is the most compact unit I have used...IIRC

http://www.gs.flir.com/products/sold...utions/M24.cfm

http://www.flircms.com/uploadedFiles...2012012010.pdf

I have been holding out for affordable color thermal..

..but with events staging worldwide (Iran/Israel is very concerning)

..affordable Mono Thermal beats waiting for affordable Color Thermal!

Last edited by LongGun1; 02-26-2012 at 21:41..
Old 02-26-2012, 21:33   #148
emt1581
Curious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp View Post
Sounds like the unit I've seen and played with. It was cool. In a pocketable monocular it would be badass. And I'm thinking a good pocketable would be closer to that $10k mark...if not over! But I never looked into them
Same here. At this point in my life it'd just piss me off to waste $10K+ on something like that. Not that I couldn't but I'd rather break up that amount on a TON of other stuff. Hell, I could build a portable home, fill it with preps and buy the vehicle to pull it with for $10K!!

-Emt1581
Old 02-26-2012, 21:35   #149
emt1581
Curious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongGun1 View Post
This one is $6K & about 14 oz....IIRC

The FLIR Recon M-24 is the most compact unit I have used...IIRC
Good to know. Thanks for the info!

However, $6K for that is not worth it to me at this point in time. In the future I'd definitely love to have one!!!

Thanks

-Emt1581
Old 02-26-2012, 21:35   #150
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Same here. At this point in my life it'd just piss me off to waste $10K+ on something like that. Not that I couldn't but I'd rather break up that amount on a TON of other stuff. Hell, I could build a portable home, fill it with preps and buy the vehicle to pull it with for $10K!!

-Emt1581
I don't even have a semi auto rifle beyond a couple .22lrs and an SKS yet.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Old 02-26-2012, 21:38   #151
emt1581
Curious Member

Quote:
I don't even have a semi auto rifle beyond a couple .22lrs and an SKS yet.
I'm not sure of your financial resources but an AR or AK would be at the top of my list, right about the same level of at least a case of ammo, if I didn't have one.

Still an SKS is MUCH better than nothing. That is one capable rifle!!! I've got 3 or 4 of them.

-Emt1581
Old 02-26-2012, 21:49   #152
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
I'm not sure of your financial resources but an AR or AK would be at the top of my list, right about the same level of at least a case of ammo, if I didn't have one.

Still an SKS is MUCH better than nothing. That is one capable rifle!!! I've got 3 or 4 of them.

-Emt1581
I am far more concerned with handguns/carry guns. I have a nice shotgun and the SKS isn't terrible, either.

Every time spendable money comes up there is always something higher on the list. Last year I could have swung a a BR or EBR or whatever if I did it right/differently but ended up handing two new handguns in new calibers instead.

Old 02-26-2012, 22:21   #153
emt1581
Curious Member

Quote:
I am far more concerned with handguns/carry guns. I have a nice shotgun and the SKS isn't terrible, either.

Every time spendable money comes up there is always something higher on the list. Last year I could have swung a a BR or EBR or whatever if I did it right/differently but ended up handing two new handguns in new calibers instead.
It's late on a Sunday....what exactly is a BR/EBR?

What do you mean by "handing two new handguns"? You got them or gave them?

I'd agree that CCW pieces are a more important place to start at this particular place in time. I'd want a pump 12ga. right after than and then a semi-auto x39/5.56 next though.

-Emt1581
Old 02-26-2012, 22:28   #154
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
It's late on a Sunday....what exactly is a BR/EBR?

What do you mean by "handing two new handguns"? You got them or gave them?

I'd agree that CCW pieces are a more important place to start at this particular place in time. I'd want a pump 12ga. right after than and then a semi-auto x39/5.56 next though.

-Emt1581
Battle Rifle/Evil Black Rifle. I don't usually use acronyms but I figured regulars on this forum would be familiar.

I'm up to three Glocks (all with good holsters, ammo, and night sites), two good revolvers, a nice 870 (knoxx spec ops stock, tritium ghost rings, side saddle), a couple .22lrs, a Mosin Nagant and the SKS.

I might get a lever action .357/.30-30 next though.

Last edited by Warp; 02-26-2012 at 22:29..
Old 02-26-2012, 22:38   #155
emt1581
Curious Member

Quote:
Battle Rifle/Evil Black Rifle. I don't usually use acronyms but I figured regulars on this forum would be familiar.

I'm up to three Glocks (all with good holsters, ammo, and night sites), two good revolvers, a nice 870 (knoxx spec ops stock, tritium ghost rings, side saddle), a couple .22lrs, a Mosin Nagant and the SKS.

I might get a lever action .357/.30-30 next though.
IMO, lever actions serve no purpose compared to a semi-auto (AK/AR). I've never owned one and don't plan to. But that's me. I also HATE pistol calibered carbines other than .22lr..

Good luck with whatever you buy!

-Emt1581
Old 02-26-2012, 22:46   #156
quake

Quote:
...I also HATE pistol calibered carbines other than .22lr...
Oy; don't get me started on that...

"Only problem with women my own age, is they're so damn old." - my dad at 89...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 02-26-2012, 23:01   #157
LongGun1
StraightShooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by quake View Post
Oy; don't get me started on that...
If you get a chance..

..take a look at my post earlier this evening concerning the PRVI 147 gr performance with the 15 lb recoil spring.

Old 02-27-2012, 00:44   #158
jkd301
Retired Cop

Quote:
What was the name of the class? I've taken tons of them and never heard of such a thing.

-Emt1581
Advance Acquisition Planning was the title of the course and after I checked my records it was 07 I took it. It was actually one part of a 4 day school I attended. The instructors were DHS, FBI and military can't remember what branch. It was for LEO's from various agencies mostly police chiefs and sheriff's ect. there were even some SWAT people there from someplace in Texas. I noticed on the paperwork it says "DO NOT DISEMINATE" OOPS

Last edited by jkd301; 02-27-2012 at 00:45..
Old 02-27-2012, 10:25   #159
quake

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongGun1 View Post
If you get a chance..

..take a look at my post earlier this evening concerning the PRVI 147 gr performance with the 15 lb recoil spring.
That's messed up. Did you happen to chrono any of it? I shoot a fair amount of 147 & 158 9mm subsonics and other than one particular (old) Federal load, I don't recall having any functional problems with any of it.

Makes me wonder if that PRVI stuff is seriously light-loaded velocity-wise, especially with the reduced-power recoil spring. Not sure, but isn't the factory standard recoil spring on a G19 something like 17-18 lbs? If it won't cycle a 15-lb - although potentially niche-useful as a manual repeater - I'd be very leery of it power-wise. Subsonic 9mm's are inherently weak from an energy perspective, and an under-loaded subsonic would be getting unecessarily low power-wise.

"Only problem with women my own age, is they're so damn old." - my dad at 89...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 02-27-2012, 17:34   #160
LongGun1
StraightShooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by quake View Post
That's messed up. Did you happen to chrono any of it? I shoot a fair amount of 147 & 158 9mm subsonics and other than one particular (old) Federal load, I don't recall having any functional problems with any of it.

Makes me wonder if that PRVI stuff is seriously light-loaded velocity-wise, especially with the reduced-power recoil spring. Not sure, but isn't the factory standard recoil spring on a G19 something like 17-18 lbs? If it won't cycle a 15-lb - although potentially niche-useful as a manual repeater - I'd be very leery of it power-wise. Subsonic 9mm's are inherently weak from an energy perspective, and an under-loaded subsonic would be getting unecessarily low power-wise.

We were having too much fun with the binary explosive & new toys to set up a chronograph!

Next range session I am going to bring some other brands of subsonic....like the Remington just purchased...just to be sure it is not a platform issue.

The new 40Osprey will be in jail for the next 1/2 year or so..

..but I will see if there are other cans (with a Nielson) available to recheck compatibility & reliability.

I may also get a 11 and/or 13 lb spring for testing..

..but have concerns of increased noise thru the ejection port while suppressed.

All that being said....it appears your assessment is "spot on"..

..& the PRVI is simply wimpy!

Which is sad, because the price is right..

..about 1/2 the price of the Remington 147 gr..

..and I have been very pleased with their other offerings..

..especially concerning accuracy & reliability.

Concerning the recent forecast on the increased amount of opportunistic cannibals if SHTF..

..good inexpensive reliable subsonics could play an important part!

Last edited by LongGun1; 02-27-2012 at 18:12..

Closed Thread