Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-28-2012, 23:09   #1
Kahr_Glockman

My Health Thread

Okay, in the same vein as Cochese and S.O. Interceptor, I started the couch to 5k program that is available on Itunes.

I had gotten up to right at 300 lbs and a big 44" waist.(I should have been a 46" but I made the 44s work) I knew that I was out of shape and in bad health but i kept putting off trying to get into shape. I was consuming 3-4 32 oz of Dr Pepper on a daily basis. For those that are interested, that is roughly 1700 calories on the upper end, which was the common end of the soda consumption.

1700 calories a day in soda alone!

Anyway, 3 weeks ago I gave up soda. I did not switch to diet, I just quit drinking it period. I started drinking a lot of water. Upwards of a gallon a day. If I drink less, then I feel it. I have dropped 15 pounds and my 44" pants are loose and my gunbelt needs to be adjusted to fit properly.

Last week I started exercising pretty hard core. I started the Couch to 5k and am running everyday. The weight has started just peeling off, and I am surprised at how well my body is responding to the running. I have not experienced the shin splints that I have had before, and I am running farther and faster every day.

Much like Cochese, I am getting to where I am enjoying the running and look forward to it all day. I have really modified my diet and am making lifestyle changes to better myself and my health. Overall I am hoping that I can get down to around 200 lbs. I dont have a set timeline on that goal, but that is my end goal.

Who else is doing something like this and what are the results so far?
Quote:
Roering
Trying to fight the police off is one thing. Trying to do it while naked takes real commitment.
Kahr_Glockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:36   #2
k9medic

Good for you! Hopefully that weight will keep coming off with ease. Sometimes you will plateau but keep working and eventually it will change again in your favor.

I've been stuck at 215 (down from 225) for the past 2 weeks. It's hard to remember that you are not only losing weigh but getting fitter as you exercise.

Remember every day that you don't train or workout, a bad guy does.

Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
k9medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:47   #3
RussP

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9medic View Post
Remember every day that you don't train or workout, a bad guy does.
That is motivation...

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 06:26   #4
DoogieHowser
Eh

k9medic just remember muscle weighs more than fat.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:02   #5
puckhead

Started the p90x and a healthy whole foods type of diet. Already seeing big gains. Better lung function, not always hungry, better energy and the loose pants is a plus too!
puckhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:20   #6
happyguy
Na Ben Don Chat

Just take it easy on the running and don't ramp it up too fast. 300lbs is a lot of weight unless you are 6'15".

I just retired and after working 70 hour weeks for a while I found I was also fat and out of shape. Wow, big surprise [/Sarcasm]

I have lost 11 pounds since 1/1/12 and my weekend long run is up to 6.5 miles.

I nearly always run with a HRM and I recommend them highly to runners that are prone to injury. Of course, good shoes are a no-brainer.

Regards,
Happyguy

"Nobody should ever run a race where they are lapped by the sun."

Last edited by happyguy; 02-29-2012 at 07:26..
happyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 14:08   #7
Denikes

Send a message via AIM to Denikes
I'm in week three of P90X. It can be rough to find the hour or more a day you need but I'm already seeing results and I was only about 10-15 over ideal for me. Some of the resistance workouts are no joke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckhead View Post
Started the p90x and a healthy whole foods type of diet. Already seeing big gains. Better lung function, not always hungry, better energy and the loose pants is a plus too!
Denikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 15:56   #8
DaBigBR
No Infidels!

Soda is terrible. Diet or regular. I drank diet soda about like you did (minimum two 44oz at work per day, plus whatever I would have at home). Quit doing that, dropped 20 pounds. Go figure.

-David Simon in "Homicide"
DaBigBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 16:31   #9
Cochese
CLM Number 209
Most mackinest

I'm down to 224 lbs.
Old 02-29-2012, 17:46   #10
tx.45

Congrats on the weight loss. I have been doing the same thing getting ready for my academy that starts in March. I used to drink 6-7 cokes a day, I cut it back to one coke a day. Began working out doing cross fit & running everyday for 1hr30min to 2hrs depending on how long my trainer works me. I used to weigh 212lbs now down to 193lbs and I'am 6'2. You may want to consider taking a multi vitamin pack, that has made a big difference for me to as far as energy.
tx.45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 17:48   #11
Cochese
CLM Number 209
Most mackinest

Yep, vitamins are important. As long as they are quality. I avoid Centrum and the like. Also, consider a glutithione accelerant.

www.maxgxl.com
Old 02-29-2012, 18:00   #12
tx.45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochese View Post
Yep, vitamins are important. As long as they are quality. I avoid Centrum and the like. Also, consider a glutithione accelerant.

www.maxgxl.com
Yes you are right, I order mine thru puritan and get the mens daily pack.
tx.45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 20:51   #13
Kahr_Glockman

I am taking a good multi vitamin. I am using the gummy kind, there have been several studies of the vitamins not dissolving in the stomach if they are the regular hard kind. I noticed a huge difference when I started taking them.

I am down to 282 right now. I am losing about a pound a day. I am drinking about a gallon of water a day to stay hydrated. I think I am goin to grow gills.
Quote:
Roering
Trying to fight the police off is one thing. Trying to do it while naked takes real commitment.
Kahr_Glockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 21:17   #14
txleapd
Hook 'Em Up

I changed my eating habits (thanks to the Lose It app) about 8-9 months ago. I was the heaviest I had ever been at almost 220. The wife and I started back at the gym around Thanksgiving. I've got a bum shoulder (among other things) so I swim while the better half attends cardio and weight classes. I usually get about an hour of laps in five days a week. I started doing P90X four days a week. Two days a week I do both. I'm down to 180, which is the least I've weighed since SWAT school, ten years ago. I'm in the best shape I've been in years. I'm shooting for my old Marine Corps weight of 170. I don't know if I'll make it, but that's my current goal.

I don't consider it dieting, as much as a lifestyle change. I feel great. The important thing to remember is that this didn't occur overnight.
1911 Club #75
Kahr Club #286
Lone Star Glockers #919

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud
txleapd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 21:22   #15
happyguy
Na Ben Don Chat

Quote:
Originally Posted by txleapd View Post

I don't consider it dieting, as much as a lifestyle change. I feel great. The important thing to remember is that this didn't occur overnight.
^^^^^THIS!

Regards,
Happyguy

"Nobody should ever run a race where they are lapped by the sun."
happyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 21:46   #16
FanForLife

I just started the Mens Health Spartacus Workout. 3 INTENSE days a week.....I've been running 2 miles for time for awhile now and working on the heavy bag for an hour. Bas Rutten has an audio CD out that will kick your butt on the heavy bag. The MMA version is 10 2 min rounds or 9 3 minute rounds. I'd endorse these any day.
Old 02-29-2012, 21:47   #17
Metro566
Gunfighter

Congratulations on the decision to move to a healthier lifestyle...as the stresses of the job can get to even the healthiest of officers, maintaining your body and mind is essential to our emotional survival.

Do not allow yourself to get discouraged when you start to plateau...it will happen and happens to everyone (I am plateauing at 200lbs...and now since I am lifting like a monster I can't break the 205 barrier)...at that point, your body is telling you it is time to switch it up.

I will be starting "Insanity" next week....it's like P90x but all cardio based...I need to break through my personal plateau.

Once again, congratulations and well done, brother!

Metro566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 22:06   #18
Goldendog Redux
Shut your mouth

Running is good-to a point. Just look at all the fat people who complete marathons. Obviously diet is key because you cannot out-exercise a bad diet.

Picking up heavy stuff and putting it down is fantastic for changing your body composition. Ultimately it is not about how much you weigh its about dumping fat and building muscle. Running will not do that. There are lots of ways to dump fat, build muscle and endurance.

i ran for a long time and I got pretty good at it but I pretty much just got good at running. It wasnt until I started focusing my efforts elsewhere that change real change happened. Even now that I rarely run over 800 meters at a time/multiple sets, I can go out and do a long run no problem. Obviously I would have to train for something longer than a 10k but I don't have much interest in doing that.

Doing something is better than nothing for sure.

MF
Old 02-29-2012, 23:34   #19
Hollywood D

Good for you. Most people don't realize that your diet is the most important thing. You can spend 23 hours a day in the gym and not lose a pound if you're not eating right. And that's regardless of what your goals are, whether you want to bulk up or slim down.

I'm a naturally thin person so being overweight isn't a concern for me. But, I do plan out my meals, take snacks at work and always hit the gym before shift so that I can at least maintain my current weight.

Phased plasma rifle in 40-watt range

Last edited by Hollywood D; 02-29-2012 at 23:36..
Hollywood D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 06:26   #20
DoogieHowser
Eh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahr_Glockman View Post
I am taking a good multi vitamin. I am using the gummy kind, there have been several studies of the vitamins not dissolving in the stomach if they are the regular hard kind. I noticed a huge difference when I started taking them.

I am down to 282 right now. I am losing about a pound a day. I am drinking about a gallon of water a day to stay hydrated. I think I am goin to grow gills.
What kind of gummies?