SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-10-2012, 20:23   #41
TX Archer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado4Wheel View Post
Lee is just trying to scare people to sell their kit. Fall for the hype if you like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by F106 Fan View Post
I never had a problem with the Dillon dies either. If there was a real problem it would be all over this Internet thing.

However, I was picking up Glock brass and it seemed like a good time to experiment with the Lee sizing die. I knew it would size a little farther down (if it mattered) but I was concerned that the smaller radius would impede operations on the 550 (now 650). It didn't.

So, what to do? I solved a problem I didn't have and I still have the Dillon sizing die which, in my view, is a much better die. I especially like the spring loaded decapping pin. That primer is gone! Sometimes clear across the garage floor...

Oh well, it was just an experiment. I may put the Dillon sizing die back in the press and just save the Lee die for another day.

Richard
That's good to hear. Now I won't keep anticipating a problem that won't likely appear. Thanks, guys.
TX Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 22:54   #42
F106 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX Archer View Post
That's good to hear. Now I won't keep anticipating a problem that won't likely appear. Thanks, guys.
This thread started out discussing a real problem and its solution. It's worth keeping the solution in the back of your mind. Just in case...

Richard

Last edited by F106 Fan; 03-10-2012 at 22:58.. Reason: Clarify
F106 Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 23:26   #43
squirreld

C4W,
I went and readjusted the decapper/sizer die and sized 10 cases.
I sized them all and measured them.

4 were right at .424, SAMI max, at the base.
6 were .421-.423 near the base.

I flipped the 4 over and they were all Winchester brass.
The other 6 were blazer, federal, and remington.

I think I just found out why I am getting some cases a lil larger than all the others. They are either made that way at the factory, or they are weaker.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Part 1
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Part 2
squirreld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:49   #44
Colorado4Wheel

That is still good news because they are all within SAAMI spec. The chamber is bigger then that spec. Even a tight KKM is bigger then that spec. They will work fine as long as the crimp is right and the bullet is seated straight.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:34   #45
squirreld

Out all of my reloads, the largest diameters is always at the base. I've never had the case come in larger around the bullet than at the base.

Part 1

Part 2
Old 03-23-2012, 13:20   #46
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by F106 Fan View Post
BTW, the gauges also check for rounds that are too long. If the bullet isn't totally within the gauge (like the bullet hangs out the end), it is too long for the SAAMI standard.

Of course, just because the length gauges as not too long, it doesn't mean the round will fit the magazine or slide up the feed ramp. It's just a check, not a testament to your OAL.

Richard
You are saying yes & no. A case gage can NOT tell you if OAL is correct. They are mostly set for max SAAMI length, not helpful @ all. As you note, it has to fit your mag & bbl. OAL is ALWAYS gun & bullet specific, a gage is almost worthless for checking OAL.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 03-23-2012 at 13:23..
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 13:40   #47
squirreld

In the reloading manuals, are the dimensions given on each calibers load data SAMI max?

I have always thought of case gauges as diameter and headspace checks.

OAL, have to use a bbl and or magazine.

Part 1

Part 2

Last edited by squirreld; 03-23-2012 at 13:41..
Old 03-23-2012, 13:57   #48
Shadyscott69
GT Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirreld View Post
In the reloading manuals, are the dimensions given on each calibers load data SAMI max?

I have always thought of case gauges as diameter and headspace checks.

OAL, have to use a bbl and or magazine.
I load to 1.185 vs. SAMI spec of 1.135 for 40 S&W. I have been loading to 1.212.
By shortening the round a little, I raised the pressure to tune my load without adding more powder. The gun still runs fine. Generally the magazine will be the limiting factor in OAL.

Last edited by Shadyscott69; 03-23-2012 at 13:57..
Shadyscott69 is offline   Reply With Quote