GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2012, 16:12   #26
Fastbear
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 364
Running a Dillon 550B in 9mm with range brass. The bulge issue caused problems (FTF) in both Glock and LW barrels. Removed the Dillon sizer die and installed a Lee sizer down on the shell plate holder. No more problems with either barrel feeding as the bulge was removed. Too much radius in the Dillon die to remove the bulge. The radius makes for easier feed but range brass needs the Lee Sizer.
Fastbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 16:16   #27
ron59
Bustin Caps
 
ron59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: near Charlotte, NC
Posts: 6,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastbear View Post
Running a Dillon 550B in 9mm with range brass. The bulge issue caused problems (FTF) in both Glock and LW barrels. Removed the Dillon sizer die and installed a Lee sizer down on the shell plate holder. No more problems with either barrel feeding as the bulge was removed. Too much radius in the Dillon die to remove the bulge. The radius makes for easier feed but range brass needs the Lee Sizer.
Yup, exactly why I went to the Lee die long ago.
__________________
Ron M. ('59 is my birth year)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxerglocker View Post
WTF?! How a cheap can an old, the old fart get?!
ron59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 16:18   #28
Shadyscott69
GT Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Lexington, SC
Posts: 3,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastbear View Post
Running a Dillon 550B in 9mm with range brass. The bulge issue caused problems (FTF) in both Glock and LW barrels. Removed the Dillon sizer die and installed a Lee sizer down on the shell plate holder. No more problems with either barrel feeding as the bulge was removed. Too much radius in the Dillon die to remove the bulge. The radius makes for easier feed but range brass needs the Lee Sizer.
Same here. loaded 300 more rounds on the LnL last night. They all gauged fine.
Shadyscott69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:11   #29
lturnerwa
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 29
I'm having the same issue with 9mm on Dillion 550b. I just got a box on MG 124 gr JHP and after load a 12 or so I found 4-5 would not go into my case gauge, hangs at the very bottom.

I'm going to some testing where I resize and prime, then test in case gauge, then load and test again.

What is it about a Lee die that works better?
lturnerwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 13:07   #30
Shadyscott69
GT Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Lexington, SC
Posts: 3,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by lturnerwa View Post
I'm having the same issue with 9mm on Dillion 550b. I just got a box on MG 124 gr JHP and after load a 12 or so I found 4-5 would not go into my case gauge, hangs at the very bottom.

I'm going to some testing where I resize and prime, then test in case gauge, then load and test again.

What is it about a Lee die that works better?
It sizes farther down on the case.
Shadyscott69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 13:30   #31
ron59
Bustin Caps
 
ron59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: near Charlotte, NC
Posts: 6,750
[QUOTE=lturnerwa;18684000]I'm having the same issue with 9mm on Dillion 550b. I just got a box on MG 124 gr JHP and after load a 12 or so I found 4-5 would not go into my case gauge, hangs at the very bottom.

I'm going to some testing where I resize and prime, then test in case gauge, then load and test again.

What is it about a Lee die that works better?[/QUOTE]

That was explained above. The mouth of Dillon die is FLARED more, allows smoother feeding of the brass into the die. That is nice. The downside is it can't size the base of the brass so well.

The Lee? Doesn't have that flaring. So it sizes the brass better. It also has a downside. If you run a piece of brass several times through the powder station (where it gets belled)... it won't want to feed into the Lee die too good.
__________________
Ron M. ('59 is my birth year)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxerglocker View Post
WTF?! How a cheap can an old, the old fart get?!
ron59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 11:44   #32
Romokid
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Central MA
Posts: 14
Since you guys are on the issue of bulged brass, I have a question. If after sizing my .40 brass it fits in my dillon case gauge I should have no need for the Lee Bulge Buster kit, correct? All this talk of bulged cases and how to correct it has me a little confused. Some of the brass will fit the case gauge before sizing but the majority will not.
I've reloaded 9mm for about 10+ yrs and .223 for 2+ years but I just started with .40 S&W and most of my .40 brass is once fired LEO range pick-ups.(I know they use Glocks) My 9mm & .40 dies are Lee carbide and my .223 is a combination of Dillon and Lee.
Thanks in advanc.
Romokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 11:52   #33
Shadyscott69
GT Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Lexington, SC
Posts: 3,909
Is long as they gauge, you should be fine. It really depends on what kind of gun you are shooting your reloads from. I never really had any problems until I switched to an STI.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Shadyscott69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 11:59   #34
Romokid
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Central MA
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadyscott69 View Post
Is long as they gauge, you should be fine. It really depends on what kind of gun you are shooting your reloads from.

That is what I thought, but just wanted to double check. I will be shooting them out of a M&P 40C, which I was under the impression that it has a fully supported chamber.
Romokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 13:27   #35
Shadyscott69
GT Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Lexington, SC
Posts: 3,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romokid View Post
That is what I thought, but just wanted to double check. I will be shooting them out of a M&P 40C, which I was under the impression that it has a fully supported chamber.
Use your barrel as a gauge and you will know for sure. I suspect you will be fine

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Shadyscott69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 15:56   #36
F106 Fan
Senior Member
 
F106 Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romokid View Post
Since you guys are on the issue of bulged brass, I have a question. If after sizing my .40 brass it fits in my dillon case gauge I should have no need for the Lee Bulge Buster kit, correct?
You should be gauging the loaded round, not the resized case. The case will tend to expand a little where the bullet is seated and, while I don't imagine it would ever be an issue, you should still check the loaded round.

BTW, the gauges also check for rounds that are too long. If the bullet isn't totally within the gauge (like the bullet hangs out the end), it is too long for the SAAMI standard.

Of course, just because the length gauges as not too long, it doesn't mean the round will fit the magazine or slide up the feed ramp. It's just a check, not a testament to your OAL.

Richard
__________________
"No matter how cynical you become, it's never enough to keep up." - Lily Tomlin
F106 Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 16:02   #37
gator378
Gator378
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: St. Peters, Mo, USA
Posts: 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMMERHEAD View Post
You probably knew this already, but I'll post it for others who may be reading this thread.
From the Lee web site;
This is why I do not like Glock barrels. Barsto on the Glock 20 and thinking about swaping out the Glock barrel on the Glock 21. Since the Barsto barrel on the Glock 20 about 8 years ago no smileys, no reloading problems, just shoot and have fun.
__________________
gator378
gator378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 17:30   #38
TX Archer
Senior Member
 
TX Archer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 231
I shoot 9mm and .40 S&W Glocks and pick up range brass from Glocks. I use Dillon dies but have never had any problem with my loaded rounds gauging in my Dillon gauges. I have only been loading for 5 months so I don't have a ton of experience. Why is it that I have never had these issues? Am I just lucky? Are my pressure levels just not that high? Did I hit some magic sweet spot with my sizing dies? I've considered buying Lee sizing dies because of all I've read but I haven't run into an issue that makes me think I need them - yet.

This may sound a little sarcastic but it's not intended to be. I'm honestly interested.
TX Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 17:33   #39
Colorado4Wheel
Senior Member
 
Colorado4Wheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: CO
Posts: 14,148
Lee is just trying to scare people to sell their kit. Fall for the hype if you like.
__________________
Steve
Colorado4Wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 19:04   #40
F106 Fan
Senior Member
 
F106 Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX Archer View Post
I shoot 9mm and .40 S&W Glocks and pick up range brass from Glocks. I use Dillon dies but have never had any problem with my loaded rounds gauging in my Dillon gauges. I have only been loading for 5 months so I don't have a ton of experience. Why is it that I have never had these issues? Am I just lucky? Are my pressure levels just not that high? Did I hit some magic sweet spot with my sizing dies? I've considered buying Lee sizing dies because of all I've read but I haven't run into an issue that makes me think I need them - yet.

This may sound a little sarcastic but it's not intended to be. I'm honestly interested.

I never had a problem with the Dillon dies either. If there was a real problem it would be all over this Internet thing.

However, I was picking up Glock brass and it seemed like a good time to experiment with the Lee sizing die. I knew it would size a little farther down (if it mattered) but I was concerned that the smaller radius would impede operations on the 550 (now 650). It didn't.

So, what to do? I solved a problem I didn't have and I still have the Dillon sizing die which, in my view, is a much better die. I especially like the spring loaded decapping pin. That primer is gone! Sometimes clear across the garage floor...

Oh well, it was just an experiment. I may put the Dillon sizing die back in the press and just save the Lee die for another day.

Richard
__________________
"No matter how cynical you become, it's never enough to keep up." - Lily Tomlin
F106 Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 19:23   #41
TX Archer
Senior Member
 
TX Archer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado4Wheel View Post
Lee is just trying to scare people to sell their kit. Fall for the hype if you like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by F106 Fan View Post
I never had a problem with the Dillon dies either. If there was a real problem it would be all over this Internet thing.

However, I was picking up Glock brass and it seemed like a good time to experiment with the Lee sizing die. I knew it would size a little farther down (if it mattered) but I was concerned that the smaller radius would impede operations on the 550 (now 650). It didn't.

So, what to do? I solved a problem I didn't have and I still have the Dillon sizing die which, in my view, is a much better die. I especially like the spring loaded decapping pin. That primer is gone! Sometimes clear across the garage floor...

Oh well, it was just an experiment. I may put the Dillon sizing die back in the press and just save the Lee die for another day.

Richard
That's good to hear. Now I won't keep anticipating a problem that won't likely appear. Thanks, guys.
TX Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 21:54   #42
F106 Fan
Senior Member
 
F106 Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX Archer View Post
That's good to hear. Now I won't keep anticipating a problem that won't likely appear. Thanks, guys.
This thread started out discussing a real problem and its solution. It's worth keeping the solution in the back of your mind. Just in case...

Richard
__________________
"No matter how cynical you become, it's never enough to keep up." - Lily Tomlin

Last edited by F106 Fan; 03-10-2012 at 21:58.. Reason: Clarify
F106 Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 23:26   #43
squirreld
Senior Member
 
squirreld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: US of A
Posts: 3,940
C4W,
I went and readjusted the decapper/sizer die and sized 10 cases.
I sized them all and measured them.

4 were right at .424, SAMI max, at the base.
6 were .421-.423 near the base.

I flipped the 4 over and they were all Winchester brass.
The other 6 were blazer, federal, and remington.

I think I just found out why I am getting some cases a lil larger than all the others. They are either made that way at the factory, or they are weaker.
squirreld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:49   #44
Colorado4Wheel
Senior Member
 
Colorado4Wheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: CO
Posts: 14,148
That is still good news because they are all within SAAMI spec. The chamber is bigger then that spec. Even a tight KKM is bigger then that spec. They will work fine as long as the crimp is right and the bullet is seated straight.
__________________
Steve
Colorado4Wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:34   #45
squirreld
Senior Member
 
squirreld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: US of A
Posts: 3,940
Out all of my reloads, the largest diameters is always at the base. I've never had the case come in larger around the bullet than at the base.
squirreld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 13:20   #46
fredj338
Senior Member
 
fredj338's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: so.cal.
Posts: 21,158
Blog Entries: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by F106 Fan View Post
BTW, the gauges also check for rounds that are too long. If the bullet isn't totally within the gauge (like the bullet hangs out the end), it is too long for the SAAMI standard.

Of course, just because the length gauges as not too long, it doesn't mean the round will fit the magazine or slide up the feed ramp. It's just a check, not a testament to your OAL.

Richard
You are saying yes & no. A case gage can NOT tell you if OAL is correct. They are mostly set for max SAAMI length, not helpful @ all. As you note, it has to fit your mag & bbl. OAL is ALWAYS gun & bullet specific, a gage is almost worthless for checking OAL.
__________________
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 03-23-2012 at 13:23..
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 13:40   #47
squirreld
Senior Member
 
squirreld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: US of A
Posts: 3,940
In the reloading manuals, are the dimensions given on each calibers load data SAMI max?

I have always thought of case gauges as diameter and headspace checks.

OAL, have to use a bbl and or magazine.

Last edited by squirreld; 03-23-2012 at 13:41..
squirreld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 13:57   #48
Shadyscott69
GT Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Lexington, SC
Posts: 3,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by squirreld View Post
In the reloading manuals, are the dimensions given on each calibers load data SAMI max?

I have always thought of case gauges as diameter and headspace checks.

OAL, have to use a bbl and or magazine.
I load to 1.185 vs. SAMI spec of 1.135 for 40 S&W. I have been loading to 1.212.
By shortening the round a little, I raised the pressure to tune my load without adding more powder. The gun still runs fine. Generally the magazine will be the limiting factor in OAL.

Last edited by Shadyscott69; 03-23-2012 at 13:57..
Shadyscott69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:48.



Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,094
325 Members
769 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42