Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:30   #101
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by noway View Post
Nope
not for this hombre.

This is year I'm really thinking about hunting one of the black bear zones in NJ and guess what......not doing it with a 10mm anything.

I can't really see any one using a 10mm in any SD fashion for a animal such as bear and be sane at doing it. I guess if that's all you have , than use it.

If i was going into a wilderness with a know bear populous and known bear attacks, I would be armed w/ more than a 180-200gr bullets & 10mm handgun.

Amigo,

Hope you know I was just kidding ya !

You know what I use and carry. 10mm is fine for two legged SD but I have no real further use for it.

My 45LC Rugers have always served me well along with big bore rifle's and heavy hard cast bullets. I see your now shooting 45's as well. Sound wisdom pard.

Later. Good luck on you jersey hunt.

CM

http://www.prorodeo.com/

Jesus said: You who are without sin cast the first stone.. John 8: 7
CanyonMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:50   #102
Jdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by noway View Post
We should have a count down clock , for the next bear defense thread. Comical if you ask me.
this isn't a new thread... it was dug up from 2007. There's enough information here to not have to dig it up again..I suppose some people just love forum debates.... but yes... very comical
Jdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:11   #103
MagTen

I have lately been doing a bunch of reloading of hard bullets and also expanding bullets shooting them into water jugs. The responses from others have been varied and obvious that there are those that like hard bullets and prefer penetration. The mushrooms I have seen in different bullets have also given good results. For those who might like penetration the hot 10mm load I think would probably give a thru & thru shot most times. The thru & thru rounds I don't think give the large explosive effects as do mushrooms. After my tests I would have to say that I would load my 45 WinMag or 10mm for that matter with 2 good built expanding rounds followed by a few solid rounds.
MagTen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 17:14   #104
oldman11

A 10mm is the most powerful semi auto that Glock makes. I would prefer a 44 mag as a minimum. I am a lot more accurate with the 10 than with the 44mag however. All this is assuming you just don't want to carry a rifle, either a 45-70 or a 308 will do nicely.

Last edited by oldman11; 03-13-2012 at 10:29..
oldman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 17:38   #105
MagTen

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman11 View Post
A 10mm is the most powerful semi auto. I would prefer a 44 mag as a minimum. I am a lot more accurate with the 10 than with the 44mag however. All this is assuming you just don't want to carry a rifle, either a 45-70 or a 308 will do nicely.
Not quite, Grizzly 45 WinMag just to name one.
Old 03-12-2012, 20:07   #106
oldman11

I thought the Grizzly 45 WinMag went out of production some years back. But you are right, there is also the 50AE which I forgot about.
oldman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 21:52   #107
noway

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman11 View Post
I thought the Grizzly 45 WinMag went out of production some years back. But you are right, there is also the 50AE which I forgot about.
bingo and don't forget the 41 and 44magnum where chamber in semi-auto handguns. One must be crazy to really think the 10mm is the most powerful handgun load semi-auto

Regardless that it's, the most powerful semi-auto in a glock frame, does that make it a ideal bear killer.

Also quite a few more rounds have been chambered in the handgun for auto-loaders; the few I can remember AMT 1,2,3,4,5 variants, Conan and the 44mag-auto. All would out do any 10mm pistol.

just sayin
noway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:54   #108
ss30378

Since were talking autos guess we can add the 45 and 475 Wildey mags and the old gas operated wildey big boys. Back to 10mm for bear, for black bear sure, for browns id be changing my underwear. I know some folks who use the 10mm as their primary hunting arm for black bear and it has worked well enough for them to keep using it. Pepper spray may work for the occasional run in but a mother protecting her cubs? I think that pepper would just make me taste better. As former law enforcement ive taken spray a few times and i can push through it and keep doing what i have to when the adrenaline is flowing. If i can i know a bear can.
ss30378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:45   #109
smokeross
GTDS Member #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagTen View Post
I have lately been doing a bunch of reloading of hard bullets and also expanding bullets shooting them into water jugs. The responses from others have been varied and obvious that there are those that like hard bullets and prefer penetration. The mushrooms I have seen in different bullets have also given good results. For those who might like penetration the hot 10mm load I think would probably give a thru & thru shot most times. The thru & thru rounds I don't think give the large explosive effects as do mushrooms. After my tests I would have to say that I would load my 45 WinMag or 10mm for that matter with 2 good built expanding rounds followed by a few solid rounds.
Here in Alaska, where we have to deal with REALLY large bears, only the newcomers would consider carrying a mushrooming bullet. It is non-expanding you want up here. Go deep, and break bones. Reach the vitals. There are plenty of stories around about bullets glancing off the skull of a fast approaching bear. Also, you most likely won't get off more than one shot. I know plenty of experienced outdoors people who have been mauled without even getting off that first shot. It happens REAL quick.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:30   #110
ss30378

Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeross View Post
Here in Alaska, where we have to deal with REALLY large bears, only the newcomers would consider carrying a mushrooming bullet. It is non-expanding you want up here. Go deep, and break bones. Reach the vitals. There are plenty of stories around about bullets glancing off the skull of a fast approaching bear. Also, you most likely won't get off more than one shot. I know plenty of experienced outdoors people who have been mauled without even getting off that first shot. It happens REAL quick.
Two holes are better than one. Heavy hardcast are my go to bullets. For the alaskan bruins it'd be my 475 with 420s+
Old 03-23-2012, 13:25   #111
smokeross
GTDS Member #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss30378 View Post
Two holes are better than one. Heavy hardcast are my go to bullets. For the alaskan bruins it'd be my 475 with 420s+
I recently picked up a .500 S&W with a couple boxes of 440 grain Buffalo Bore. Have yet to shoot it.
Old 03-23-2012, 13:25   #112
MagTen

Quote:
That is what I have wanted to here from you experienced guys. This week I ran the jug tests again while adding a sheet of good plywood after the first jug. I am seeing a slowing down of the mushrooming bullets but still get decent penetration. The solid Berry bullet .. it is not much slowing it down. Thanks for the comments. Here in Carolina we do get black bears upwards of 850#s and in the coastal jungles they are no fun.

Last edited by MagTen; 03-23-2012 at 13:26..
Old 03-23-2012, 14:05   #113
capttommie
glock 30-10mm

man you guys are just making me lmao!!! I have no dog in this fight because I live in Fl. and the bigest bear that I have seen around here would go 120lbs I carry a 10mm and have killed 400lb hogs with it and I think it's a pretty good round for most anything around where I live.
I kill alligators and hogs mostly with a knife, it's a lot funner that way. I don't think I would reccomend that on a bear though...
capttommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 15:10   #114
smokeross
GTDS Member #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by capttommie View Post
man you guys are just making me lmao!!! I have no dog in this fight because I live in Fl. and the bigest bear that I have seen around here would go 120lbs I carry a 10mm and have killed 400lb hogs with it and I think it's a pretty good round for most anything around where I live.
I kill alligators and hogs mostly with a knife, it's a lot funner that way. I don't think I would reccomend that on a bear though...
I know several people who have killed bears with a home made spear. It is done from a tree stand. I have my own spear that I made from an old chainsaw bar. The handle is 3/4 black pipe. It is unbelievably sharp. Ground it into the profile I wanted with a grinder, then filed with a flat file. Lucky bears have avoided the stand so far when I have been waiting for them.
Old 03-23-2012, 16:44   #115
Shadyscott69
GT Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStreetKing View Post
Yes it's 100% Effective, Bears need their senses and without them their pretty much helpless. I can guarantee you that anyone is going to be more accurate with spray than a handgun when their being charged by a bear. Spray shoots a big stream that saturates the face entirely. Can't say that with a 10mm Bullet can you, That and the fact that spray works instantly is another factor. I used bear spray in Upper Michigan on Black bears before and it worked as described. Actually think your going to stop a bear with a handgun caliber when it's charging you, Highly doubtful. But with spray i can say that it will.

Ummmm, wrong.

Bear spray fails for Montana hikers

http://www.examiner.com/bear-spray-i...montana-hikers

Nothing is 100%.
Shadyscott69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 19:03   #116
MagTen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadyscott69 View Post
Ummmm, wrong.

Bear spray fails for Montana hikers

http://www.examiner.com/bear-spray-i...montana-hikers

Nothing is 100%.
I read the article and it is totally true. It is a scientific fact that NC black bears are more in tune with the pepper spray than grizzlys. The grizzlys all live in a totally smog free environment and the NC black bears live in smog laden zones. Therefore are used to the spray.
Old 03-26-2012, 20:55   #117
Ak.Hiker

The solid Berry bullet .. it is not much slowing it down.

Berry bullets are fine for targets. But being plated they are not as tough as a true cup and core FMJ design. FMJ's from Hornady for example have thick jackets as does the Montana Gold bullet that Buffalo Bore and Double Tap load in their 200 grain 10mm FMJ loads. CorBon also makes a thick jacketed FMJ for their 10mm load called the Penetrator. I would be concerned that a thin plated bullet would deform when hitting heavy bones. As far as plated type bullets the Speer TMJ seems to be tougher than the typical plated design. Another good option would be a quality hard cast bullet.
Ak.Hiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:00   #118
smokeross
GTDS Member #49

I am gonna hose a bear real soon. I want the meat. I have a pile of guns to choose from, but will most likely use a Marlin in .45-70 or .444 with heavy bullets. Might use the Winchester in .375 H&H Mag with a 300 grain Barnes bullet. I will have a .44 mag or .454 with hard, heavy bullets on my hip. You cannot be over gunned, but it is easy (and dangerous) to be under gunned.
Old 04-01-2012, 01:19   #119
duncan
Lifetime Membership

My G20 or G29 rides on my hip as a BUG when bears abound.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:17   #120
ss30378

Quote:
I recently picked up a .500 S&W with a couple boxes of 440 grain Buffalo Bore. Have yet to shoot it.
Had a bfr .500, i sold it when i needed some bill $$$ but the 440s from buffalo bore felt like catching a hockey puck going 80mph. After 5 my hand was literally bruised. Still loved that gun though...
Old 04-02-2012, 11:04   #121
smokeross
GTDS Member #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss30378 View Post
Had a bfr .500, i sold it when i needed some bill $$$ but the 440s from buffalo bore felt like catching a hockey puck going 80mph. After 5 my hand was literally bruised. Still loved that gun though...
I am looking forward to shooting it. I have owned several .454's and .480's. I still have a Freedom Arms I picked up a long time ago in 454. I sold the Super Redhawks though. Can't keep them all.
Old 04-02-2012, 13:15   #122
MagTen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ak.Hiker View Post
The solid Berry bullet .. it is not much slowing it down.

Berry bullets are fine for targets. But being plated they are not as tough as a true cup and core FMJ design. FMJ's from Hornady for example have thick jackets as does the Montana Gold bullet that Buffalo Bore and Double Tap load in their 200 grain 10mm FMJ loads. CorBon also makes a thick jacketed FMJ for their 10mm load called the Penetrator. I would be concerned that a thin plated bullet would deform when hitting heavy bones. As far as plated type bullets the Speer TMJ seems to be tougher than the typical plated design. Another good option would be a quality hard cast bullet.
AK, I picked up the Berry bullets a year ago not to hunt with them but to reload and use for what ever. Believe it or not they were in a marked bag "225gr" but they were 250grainers. Could have lost my hand. I just ordered today a 100 of cast bullets from Cast Performance that are 265gr. I look forward to testing them.
Old 04-03-2012, 16:12   #123
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagTen View Post
AK, I picked up the Berry bullets a year ago not to hunt with them but to reload and use for what ever. Believe it or not they were in a marked bag "225gr" but they were 250grainers. Could have lost my hand. I just ordered today a 100 of cast bullets from Cast Performance that are 265gr. I look forward to testing them.

You must be talkin about "loaded ammo". I been buying lead for my 44's and 45's to hand load from Cast Performance for over 15 years and never seen lead for a 10mm.

CM

http://www.prorodeo.com/

Jesus said: You who are without sin cast the first stone.. John 8: 7
CanyonMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 17:09   #124
MagTen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanyonMan View Post
You must be talkin about "loaded ammo". I been buying lead for my 44's and 45's to hand load from Cast Performance for over 15 years and never seen lead for a 10mm.

CM
No, it is lead for my 45 winmag.
Old 04-03-2012, 17:21   #125
Clay1

I had a friend ask me about a 44 mag for Alaskan bear and I asked him if he would consider the 30 30 a griz gun? He said no, I told him that the 44 is one half the power of a 30 30 and brown bears and black bears are not the same. 338 win mag, 375 H&H or 12 G with lots of slugs, not a 44 much less a smaller 10mm.