SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:05   #1
Apothecurious
Pharmacist

New First HK Day!

Just picked this up a couple days ago. A brand new HK USP 40! This is my first foray into HK handguns. I had a bad experience with a Sig P229 with some serious rail damage that prompted me to get the HK.

I only had to shoot 150 rounds of Federal 180gr FMJ and Federal 155gr HST through the gun and it was flawless. My accuracy was significantly better with this than the Sig (Despite the fact that I feel the Sig has a much better trigger).

This is easily the softest recoiling 40 I have ever shot. I imagine this has something to do with the recoil assembly. But it makes follow up shots VERY easy.

I couldn't be happier. I now understand why people are willing to pay a premium for HK firearms. This gun reeks of QUALITY. This is probably the first firearm I know where I could not locate a single cosmetic blemish (read: screw-up) on it anywhere. (Even my Sigs and my Glocks have some mess up somewhere, the Sig was particularly bad). The gun has ZERO play in the slide rails during lock-up.

I only have a couple very small criticisms of this firearm. It took me a few minutes to get used to the mag release. While it is very easy to use (and I think I actually prefer it now), its different from my other handguns which makes me think about it before I use it. Second, I need to change my technique to reach the slide lock/release. The safety/decocker lever prevents me from reaching directly up with my thumb to get to it. I have to reach 'around' it to reach the lever. And third, I was kind of skeptical about the polymer magazines. They have had no issues yet but I would like to see how they hold up long term.

Now my only problem is that I'm looking to replace my G26 with a P2000SK just so I can have my weapons with the same mag release.

Heckler & Koch Forum
G19 RTF2 - Rnd Cnt 1150, Malf: 0
Wish List: G22 Gen3, G30 Gen3
Apothecurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:14   #2
maddy345
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Congrats on a sweet shooter

HK Club Member #345
maddy345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:22   #3
EmbryRiddle

Congrats, looks good!
EmbryRiddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:56   #4
deeHKman
"It Is Written"

Congrat's, and Welcome to another handgun World!!

deeHKman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:26   #5
varetfed

You have made a wise selection with the HK. I have been a Glock and SIG owner for years and have had good service. Having said that, I purchased a P2000 in .40 S&W about a year ago and began developing muscle memory and handling procedures. Since then, I purchased a 45 Compact and P30. I too have found them to be high quality and flawless in performance. I carry the P2000 frequently as my HR-218 carry pistol. I guess the old saying that quality may cost more, but is well worth the "cost." I'll be willing to state that you most likely will buy another HK pistol sometime in the near future. Enjoy, you have a pistol that you can rely on when the "chips are down.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:27   #6
itstime

Congrats. You made a great choice. One of my last purchases was that same gun. LEO trade in great shape. Couldn't pass on the deal.
itstime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 20:56   #7
HKLovingIT
Resident Evil

Congrats. You will not be disappointed in the P2000sk either.

кто пукнул здесь?
Nescio, sed foetet.
HKLovingIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 22:14   #8
steve1911

Very nice

Congrats!

1911club#410
Old 03-07-2012, 22:19   #9
bac1023

Looks great

Congrats!

1911 Buyer's Guide
bac1023 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 22:41   #10
Hour13
Tah-dah!

First, congrats! First class weapon, fell in love with mine & haven't looked back once.

Heckler & Koch Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apothecurious View Post
Second, I need to change my technique to reach the slide lock/release. The safety/decocker lever prevents me from reaching directly up with my thumb to get to it. I have to reach 'around' it to reach the lever.
Heckler & Koch Forum
Lol, once you get the hang of it, it's great. I carry OWB at 5'oclock. As you draw, thumb sweeps down over the safety, one fluid motion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster Rugburn View Post
She can't say stupid stuff with her mouth full of sausage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hour13 View Post
I have no problem charging somebody stark nekid, with a TP tail hanging from my butt... Maybe they'll go to their maker with a smile on their face.
Hour13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 02:26   #11
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

Once a person owns and shoots a HK, they often ask themselves why they didn't lay down the cash sooner or ever shot anything else!

HK's are great guns and in many ways, better than anything else on the market. They are myself and many others regard as the modern benchmark of quality. They are a outstanding gun.

Congratulations and welcome to the HK club!

Old 03-08-2012, 05:37   #12
HK Dan

LOL--You're right NEO. The mag release is the USPs best feature, hands down the fastest in the business. The slide release? You should be sling shotting the slide anyway. Far safer, as you just don't know if you'll be able to work the slide release in a critical dynamic incident.

Hands down, the HK us the best combat gun out there. It may get beaten un USPSA by the prima donna guns, but on the streeet? She'll bring ya home.
Old 03-08-2012, 17:10   #13
Apothecurious
Pharmacist

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK Dan View Post
LOL--You're right NEO. The mag release is the USPs best feature, hands down the fastest in the business. The slide release? You should be sling shotting the slide anyway. Far safer, as you just don't know if you'll be able to work the slide release in a critical dynamic incident.

Hands down, the HK us the best combat gun out there. It may get beaten un USPSA by the prima donna guns, but on the streeet? She'll bring ya home.
The slide release was never really a deal breaker. I mean, I am coming from most of my experience being with Glocks.

What I didn't say up above was that even though the Glock slide lock is functional, it is a PITA compared to many other guns out there. The HK beats that hands down.

Quick question, do any of you guys detail strip your HK's? Or does this void your warranty? I am able to completely detail strip all my firearms and I want to make sure I can DS my HK as well.
G19 RTF2 - Rnd Cnt 1150, Malf: 0
Wish List: G22 Gen3, G30 Gen3
Apothecurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 17:18   #14
SGT_Calle

I'm new to HKs as well with a HK45c that's about a month old and I'm already looking into getting a P2000sk to accompany it too.
I think what you said about having similar platforms really struck a chord with me. I don't, and probably won't ever, own a lot of guns and I want the ones I decide on to be the highest quality.
SGT_Calle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 21:44   #15
cowboy1964

I only sold mine because it was just too darn large. And the old, original, mags were awful.
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 17:53   #16
ca survivor

Just remember I have one of those, some were in the safe
ca survivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 20:21   #17
skytop

I looked at the new .45 HK compact today at the gun store. I loved the way it looked but quickly found that the ambidextrous release is the fly in the ointment. It has a sharpness to its shape and 'bites' the fleshy part, near the base of your index finger when you are engaging the trigger. Just during the short time I was holding the pistol, the release bit into my finger and bright redness began forming. I can imagine the bruising and blood that would result from firing the weapon 20x or more!

Has anyone else experienced this serious problem? Is there a fix for it? Can the gun be converted from ambidextrous to just single side? How could HK produce a weapon with this design flaw?

Last edited by skytop; 03-13-2012 at 20:23..
skytop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 04:04   #18
ChaneRZ

Congrats! Love my HK USP 40 also.
Old 03-17-2012, 05:44   #19
BuckyP
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apothecurious View Post
Quick question, do any of you guys detail strip your HK's? Or does this void your warranty? I am able to completely detail strip all my firearms and I want to make sure I can DS my HK as well.
It's not too bad. I detail stripped my HK USPc twice. Once to convert it to LEM, once to convert it back. I like LEM, but I have a P2000 that is LEM, so just wanted to go back to DA/SA. Who knows, I'll probably put it back to LEM again at some point.

Never detail stripped the slide, never had the need.

One thing I've found with my HKs vs. GLOCK, the HK doesn't seem to get as dirty. I took both guns to the range and fired 100 rounds of the same ammo through each. Both guns (P2000 and GLOCK 19) were clean to start. The GLOCK was much dirtier, or perhaps the "soot" spread to more areas inside the frame. Not that this matters much, just found it interesting. Anyone else experience this?
BuckyP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 13:04   #20
HK Dan

For the Love of God, don't "detail strip" your USP. You need a book, and a second USP on hand to compare with. The guts of that thing are like a Rubix cube where the instructions are in Chinese. The God they never break, because they'd be a pain to work on. By far the worst part? The trigger itself. Until you pop it out you'll be scratching your head at my comment. Once you do you'll be saying "Yeah, that was a ***** to get back in"
Old 03-17-2012, 13:12   #21
Javelin
Silver Membership
Got Glock?

Very nice pistol. I love my Hk USP 40.

Disclaimer: This writer is not a lawyer. This product is meant for entertainment and fan or political fiction purposes only and writer accepts no liability. All material should be considered as infotainment only. Writer does not own any characters, topics or subject matter in this story. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is for entertainment only. If rash, irritation, redness, or swelling develops, discontinue reading immediately and consult your physician.
Javelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 19:58   #22
oily_oink
###########

Another nice USP!
Old 03-25-2012, 04:05   #23
BuckyP
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckyP View Post
It's not too bad. I detail stripped my HK USPc twice. Once to convert it to LEM, once to convert it back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HK Dan View Post
For the Love of God, don't "detail strip" your USP. You need a book, and a second USP on hand to compare with. The guts of that thing are like a Rubix cube where the instructions are in Chinese. The God they never break, because they'd be a pain to work on. By far the worst part? The trigger itself. Until you pop it out you'll be scratching your head at my comment. Once you do you'll be saying "Yeah, that was a ***** to get back in"
Admittedly, I didn't take the trigger out. It did look a bit tricky. However, didn't find the rest of it all that mind boggling.
BuckyP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:00   #24
Mattducati

The only way you will void your warrantee on an HK is adding internal parts that are aftermarket parts. You can disassemble the guns and upgrade parts with HK parts and not void your warrantee. I had the same question and called HK. They confirmed this is true.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Mattducati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:24   #25
grecco

Congrats on the HK,
a very well engineered and made pistol.
They are addictive.