Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Closed Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 18:53   #226
novasquid

i have a gen4 g19 with the newest RSA and ejector.
Old 03-15-2012, 18:55   #227
dusty_dragon

okay, so forget about what i said, would only work on a gen.3, sorry
Old 03-15-2012, 19:03   #228
gunner76

I polished my extractor in my Gen4 G19 with all the updated parts the other day and tried the gun out. With just the top and bottoms polished until it was pretty shiny the ejection was alittle better but I was still getting a few cases to the head. So then I started taking some off the step, it took a couple of tries and I think I got it right now. I only had 5rds left after making the second adjustment to the step, but all 5 casings ejected to the right and made a high arc out of the gun and landed in a fairly nice pile.

Also, I was wondering how will the extractor act if you remove too much material? I have enough taken off the top/bottom so that the extractor falls out under it's own weight. I only took enough off the step to remove the blueing and maybe a touch more.
Old 03-16-2012, 03:47   #229
dusty_dragon

so the canting of the "oversized" extractor in it's channel in the slide must really be a problem of the newer MiM-extractors.

on my G17 / G19 both gen. 3, the extractors fall out by themselves while disassembling, no canting, pushing, forcing.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:22   #230
rootpass

I have not heard anything about how the spent brass looks. On my late model G19 test fire date 10/10/11, with the stock recoil spring, my fired brass shows a mark on the rim at 3 o'clock From the extractor and then a small dent about 4-5 o'clock from what appears to be hitting the bottom of the ejection port. There are also brass marks left on hood of the slide. SS recoil spring eleminated this. I have the 336 ejector and non updated recoil spring. This was with Winchester WWB. FWIW

Last edited by rootpass; 03-16-2012 at 04:33..
Old 03-16-2012, 06:57   #231
newbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridder View Post
I received the LWD 9mm LCI extractor today.
It has a "3" on it and does not have a dip like the stock-Glock extractor (which also has a "3" on it).
Hold up... Your original Glock extractor has a "3" on it? Is that on a Gen 4 G19? Mine has a "2" on it. Do I have the wrong extractor? It sure doesn't seem to grip the lip of the casing very well...
Old 03-16-2012, 07:01   #232
voyager4520
-----

According to Glock, the numbers on the newest extractors relate to which mold cavity they were formed in, not different designs of extractors.
Old 03-16-2012, 07:48   #233
MNBud

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post
I polished my extractor in my Gen4 G19 with all the updated parts the other day and tried the gun out. With just the top and bottoms polished until it was pretty shiny the ejection was alittle better but I was still getting a few cases to the head. So then I started taking some off the step, it took a couple of tries and I think I got it right now. I only had 5rds left after making the second adjustment to the step, but all 5 casings ejected to the right and made a high arc out of the gun and landed in a fairly nice pile.

Also, I was wondering how will the extractor act if you remove too much material? I have enough taken off the top/bottom so that the extractor falls out under it's own weight. I only took enough off the step to remove the blueing and maybe a touch more.
I am very confused why people are removing material from this step, the only thing that step does is locate the position of the extractor when there is NO round in the chamber. Once there is a round under the extractor this step is OUT of the process.I believe that too much messing with this step people are going to have issues with the extractor being in the correct location while CHAMBERING a round.

Sub club #622
Certified Glock armorer
Old 03-16-2012, 08:07   #234
newbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyager4520 View Post
According to Glock, the numbers on the newest extractors relate to which mold cavity they were formed in, not different designs of extractors.
Doh! I knew that.

Thanks!

Sent with Outdoor Hub mobile on iPhone
Old 03-16-2012, 09:47   #235
novasquid

i installed the glock .40 extractor into my gen4 g19 9mm about a half hour ago. i loaded 10 speer lawman cartridges to see how it would eject. first cartridge got stuck on the extractor, oops not a good sign! so i took an arkansas stone to the claw and filed the top part of it thinking it would help slide onto the cartridge case. it worked. i loaded about 4 magazines worth of speer lawman and snap caps, and they all ejected to the 4 o'clock consistently, almost within a 1" landing zone.

i'm planning to take it to the range saturday morning and i'll report back how it goes, but so far it looks like the .40 extractor is a viable fix for the g19.

edit: it was actually the top part of the claw that was too tight. i initially thought it was the lower part of the claw that i filed down, but it was the top part of it.

Last edited by novasquid; 03-16-2012 at 10:56..
Old 03-16-2012, 11:47   #236
kodiakpb

Glad to hear your not limp wristing anymore.....I'M JOKING, just a joke don't shoot me. Glad things are looking up.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:02   #237
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBud View Post
I am very confused why people are removing material from this step, the only thing that step does is locate the position of the extractor when there is NO round in the chamber. Once there is a round under the extractor this step is OUT of the process.I believe that too much messing with this step people are going to have issues with the extractor being in the correct location while CHAMBERING a round.
One other thing in addition to what you've already written: The size of the extractor's shoulder also determines how much, 'bite' the extractor claw takes on a cartridge rim.

If a small amount of material is removed from this shoulder then cartridge cases are going to be more positively grabbed by the inward-directed claw.

Where the extractor claw rests when there is no cartridge in the chamber is, consequently, irrelevant.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:27   #238
dusty_dragon

can you please post a pic with a red-encircled "shoulder" part that you mean
Old 03-16-2012, 13:28   #239
ak103k

Quote:
If a small amount of material is removed from this shoulder then cartridge cases are going to be more positively grabbed by the inward-directed claw.

Where the extractor claw rests when there is no cartridge in the chamber is, consequently, irrelevant.
I disagree. When there is a case under the extractor, that shoulder contacts nothing, so there is nothing to retard its inward travel. As MNBud stated, it only comes in contact with the slide when there is no case present.

You can remove the whole shoulder, and it wont have any more inward travel than a factory extractor if a case is present. The more you remove, the more likely youre going to have a feeding issue due to the extractor being improperly positioned in the slide, which is what I believe MNBud was getting at.
Old 03-16-2012, 15:56   #240
Noponer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak103k View Post
I disagree. When there is a case under the extractor, that shoulder contacts nothing, so there is nothing to retard its inward travel. As MNBud stated, it only comes in contact with the slide when there is no case present.

You can remove the whole shoulder, and it wont have any more inward travel than a factory extractor if a case is present. The more you remove, the more likely youre going to have a feeding issue due to the extractor being improperly positioned in the slide, which is what I believe MNBud was getting at.
Exactly. Well-stated.

Removing material from that shoulder will not tighten the grip on the case at all & may cause problems with the next round feeding up from the mag... not to mention someone trying to drop the slide on a round in the chamber (never a good idea, of course).
Old 03-16-2012, 15:59   #241
gunner76

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusty_dragon View Post
can you please post a pic with a red-encircled "shoulder" part that you mean
there is a picture on the first or second page that shows the shoulder.
Old 03-16-2012, 16:33   #242
dusty_dragon

@guner76:
you mean page #1 post #23 picture #1, which is commonly refered in this thread as "the step", right?
Old 03-16-2012, 17:28   #243
bentbiker
NRA Member

General Glocking

Last edited by bentbiker; 03-16-2012 at 17:28..
Old 03-16-2012, 17:32   #244
dusty_dragon

thanks bentbiker, perfect service, as always *thumbs up*

that was exactly the part i was thinking about, but it is always refered to as "the step" in this board not as " the shoulder", right?

Last edited by dusty_dragon; 03-16-2012 at 17:32..
Old 03-17-2012, 08:23   #245
novasquid

today was my 3rd hour long session with my gen4 g19 and i shot 405 rounds of speer lawman 124gr. today was the first time with the glock .40sw extractor, and not a single erratic ejection throughout the entire hour. the previous 1st and 2nd hour long sessions with the g19 oem extractor caused erratic ejections about half hour into each session, but today it was all flawless. thanks to voyager4520 for mentioning the .40 extractor in several previous threads, otherwise i probably would've never picked up on it.

if the polishing doesn't work for you as it didn't for me, try the .40 extractor.

Last edited by novasquid; 03-17-2012 at 08:25..
Old 03-17-2012, 14:41   #246
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noponer View Post
Exactly. Well-stated.

Removing material from that shoulder will not tighten the grip on the case at all & may cause problems with the next round feeding up from the mag... not to mention someone trying to drop the slide on a round in the chamber (never a good idea, of course).
Are ya sure!

(Remember, we're not talking about a properly working extractor; nor are we talking about an extractor that is in motion.)
Old 03-17-2012, 15:12   #247
ak103k

If the shoulder was out of spec, and somehow contacting anything with a round under extractor, then the LCI would not fit flush with the slide on an empty chamber, and would protrude away from the face of the slide.

If you remove material at that point, then it will also not fit flush, but now in the negative, and would be to far inboard towards the breech face, and possibly interfering with the rounds coming up from the mag.

As far as it being in motion, from hand cycling a bunch of live rounds in a number of my Glocks, the extractors LCI still protrudes from the face of the slide all the way to ejection, and never drops to flush with a round under it. If it sits flush when empty, how can it be contacting anything if the case holds it away while there?
Old 03-17-2012, 15:13   #248
ken grant

My 19 had a dip extractor and crazy ejection. I replaced the extractor with a non-dip and my ejection got worse.

I then polished the non-dip and it even got more crazy.

I then polished the dip that came in the 19 and the ejection was even worse than it was to start with before I did anything.

All polishing was only done on the top and bottom of the extractor.
Nothing was done on the stem or step.
Old 03-17-2012, 15:30   #249
voyager4520
-----

Quote:
Originally Posted by novasquid View Post
today was my 3rd hour long session with my gen4 g19 and i shot 405 rounds of speer lawman 124gr. today was the first time with the glock .40sw extractor, and not a single erratic ejection throughout the entire hour. ...
if the polishing doesn't work for you as it didn't for me, try the .40 extractor.
Congrats!

Last edited by voyager4520; 03-17-2012 at 15:31..
Old 03-17-2012, 16:03   #250
AustinTx

"Fixing" your gun, by installing an extractor made for the next larger caliber, just doesn't seen too smart, to me.

If you are having ammo feeding problems, just use the next larger sized magazine? I'm sure that I have misunderstood something, there. The whole thing is sorta abstract, I reckon.
Closed Thread