SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-24-2012, 03:11   #61
DetroitMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Rod45 View Post
Before returning home to get them I went to Home Depot to get a brass punch. To my surprise they said they didnt carry them. I then called Harbor Freight, Sears, Advance Auto, and Autozone and got the same reply! Where the HELL do you find a brass punch these days???
Funny, I said the same thing after coming from Home Depot and Lowes empty handed. Go figure.
Old 03-24-2012, 08:25   #62
farscott

Brownells has lots of brass punches.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=6...RASS-PUNCH-SET
Old 03-25-2012, 14:51   #63
DetroitMike

OK, now I've got a wiggle in my front sights...#DAMN!
Old 03-25-2012, 14:59   #64
Jhawk412

Send a message via Yahoo to Jhawk412
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsb1829 View Post
Their warranty sucks, hope I never have to use it. I love the sights day or night they are high visibility.
Their websight won't give you the specific warranties by product. I just looked. But their blanket warranty is 90 days. If the tritium fails after that time, and I had three different sets that failed after 90 days but before one year, they won't cover anything.

Compare that to Meprolight or Trijicon, both of which has 12 year warranties. No brainer for me.

"We're Texas Rangers....our jurisdiction is wherever we happen to be."Texas Ranger Augustus "Gus" McCrae (Steve Zahn) in "Comanche Moon""
Jhawk412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 18:05   #65
SARDG

I just installed 4 sets of TFOs on Glocks this afternoon - 2-Gen3s and 2-Gen4s. These were the 'new' stock TFOs with lighter color packaging instead of the blackish packaging. The new ones now come with shorter screws that bottom out without grinding to make them shorter, so TruGlo seems to have gotten that memo.

One thing I seemed to confirm - the dovetail on Gen4s is tighter than Gen3s. I installed some other night sights (forgotten which brand now) on a Gen4 about a month ago and I thought it was usually difficult to push the rear sights on, but I attributed it to the sights themselves being 'tighter'.

Now today, installing 4 identical TruGlos on 2 each Gen3s and Gen4s, I can say that the Gen4's dovetail is tighter/smaller and the sights more difficult to push on. What that may mean to you folks who insist on beating on sights with punches I cannot say, but my MGW sight tool was huffin' and puffin' with the Gen4s.

As always............. YMMV!
SARDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 21:16   #66
vrex

They are gimmicks that reduce your sight radius to nothing. Get a set of trijicons and be done with it.
Old 03-25-2012, 21:37   #67
SARDG

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrex View Post
They are gimmicks that reduce your sight radius to nothing...
Really? Who knew??
SARDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 21:43   #68
T-Rod45
Loves The Glock

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrex View Post
They are gimmicks that reduce your sight radius to nothing. Get a set of trijicons and be done with it.
First thing I noticed when I saw the TFO's was the decrease in radius. However, I highly doubt the difference between TFO's and Trijicons will affect accuracy during a defensive shoot at less than 10 yards...
•23 Gen4 (/19 conversion)
•M&P •Ruger •Smith&Wesson •Kel-Tec •Mossberg •LWRC •Glades Gun Works
T-Rod45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 23:44   #69
vrex

Quote:
First thing I noticed when I saw the TFO's was the decrease in radius. However, I highly doubt the difference between TFO's and Trijicons will affect accuracy during a defensive shoot at less than 10 yards...
You are correct, in fact, at that distance, the shorter sight radius will be faster to align. I tried them years ago and noticed a serious drop in my work PAST 10 yards. The semi exposed fiber optic tubes never won my confidence for durability, and the distracting sight pictures just lends itself to giving me flashback of the movie Close Encounters as a kid
Old 03-25-2012, 23:50   #70
vrex

Quote:
You are correct, in fact, at that distance, the shorter sight radius will be faster to align. I tried them years ago and noticed a serious drop in my work PAST 10 yards. The semi exposed fiber optic tubes never won my confidence for durability, and the distracting sight pictures just lended itself to giving me flashback of the movie Close Encounters as a kid

To each his on but I think Trijys, Meps or Heinies are a real "steel" in terms of service reliability and sense. Go check out how many TFO's you will see on an IDPA or IPSC circuit, compared to Heinies and such, not real world, granted, but all about fast sight aquisition and using your front sight to stay on target.
They do look really neat and your friends will ohh an ahh them (the TGO's) I'll give them that
Old 03-26-2012, 00:03   #71
DetroitMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimden View Post
I have Tru Glo on 2 of my Glocks and haven't had any problems. I have about a 1000 rds on each gun. One trick when mounting the front sight is to no only put loctite on the screw but under the base of the sight to help it adhere to the frame.
Loctite it is, then.
Old 03-26-2012, 15:15   #72
ozy

tfos on all my gen4s- no major problems to report. had to tighten the front one on one of my 19 once. that's it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Gen4 17, 19, 34,Gen 3 17L
SIG 226 E/E,229 XTREME,226DARK ELITE, P938,
226XTREME, 229E/E,229ELITE DARK.
ozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 17:54   #73
RYT 2BER

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitMike View Post
Loctite it is, then.
Right.. the best idea is to glue them down to the slide..

What a joke... that's why I tossed mine... I wasn't going to "rig" it to get them to work right...
Old 03-30-2012, 05:15   #74
stupendousman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RYT 2BER View Post
Right.. the best idea is to glue them down to the slide..

What a joke... that's why I tossed mine... I wasn't going to "rig" it to get them to work right...
Isn't using Loctite on front slides a normal procedure for installation? It's been recommended in a lot of instructional armorer videos I've seen. If it's recommended by manufacturers and experienced gunsmiths for other models, I'm not sure how that is "rigging" it.
stupendousman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 18:56   #75
ZardozCZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeLo View Post
really sucks, I saw a sweet new vertical sight picture but can't find out the name of the sights. Any help here is the picSights, Optics and Lasers

Looks like the Kahr dot the i style. I like it.
ZardozCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 21:38   #76
RayB
Retired Member

The fact is, TFO's have been fraught with more problems than any other sight brand mentioned in this forum. These problems as cited by their owners have included:

- Lamp Failure
- Fiber Optic Rods Falling Out
- Poor Fit
- Poor Finish
- Poor Workmanship
- Durability Issues
- Crappy Warranty

That's not to say TFO's aren't cool, clever, unique, etc. Because they're all of that.

And they have a loyal following despite their shortcomings. One GT member went so far as to describe in detail how he remanufactures his TFO's to make them more durable.

I can't help but notice that the manufacturer isn't all that up front about their crappy warranty...

No, I have not personally owned a set of TFO's... The fact is, I generally don't make it a point to buy products that are known to be problematic, whether they're cars, cameras, or gun sights. But I can read... And I remember what I've read.

It does seem, however, that complaints about TFO's have become less frequent. That this indicates that the product has vastly improved since its troubled years, I can't say.

Usually, the warranty is a good indicator of a manufacturer's confidence in their product.

--Ray
RayB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 04:30   #77
stupendousman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayB View Post
The fact is, TFO's have been fraught with more problems than any other sight brand mentioned in this forum. These problems as cited by their owners have included:

- Lamp Failure
- Fiber Optic Rods Falling Out
- Poor Fit
- Poor Finish
- Poor Workmanship
- Durability Issues
- Crappy Warranty
I don't have any night sights on my G19 yet, so I'm coming at this with little bias.

I've seen complaints in regards to many of the same things you've mentioned with other brands as well.

The TFO's seem very popular. With very popular products, you generally hear more when someone has a problem with them, and for every 1 problem there are 10 who had no problems chiming in. I know of two people who have them on their guns and have had no problems. I have a friend with Trijicon sites whose lamps went dim WAY sooner than the warranty stated. That wouldn't stop me personally from buying a set of Trijicon's because I know that the majority of those have no problems as well.

Quote:
That's not to say TFO's aren't cool, clever, unique, etc. Because they're all of that.

And they have a loyal following despite their shortcomings.
Maybe because their benefits far outweigh any possible shortcomings in many people's eyes?

Last edited by stupendousman; 04-27-2012 at 04:32..
stupendousman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 04:37   #78
harleytech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman_73 View Post
So has anyone NOT had issues with these? Been debating between TFOs or Big Dots.
Put my TFO's on 3 months ago and they are just fine...
Now I don't use my G19 as a hammer either...

Last edited by harleytech; 04-27-2012 at 04:38..
harleytech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:46   #79
ZardozCZ

While some may amass anecdotal evidence and spew it forth as their battle cry upon something they've never directly experienced in an attempt to get others to join them in railing against it, I go about my decision making somewhat differently than following the loudest ballyhoo.

The TFO's on my new G27 have held great for their first 300 rounds. My LGS installed them for me for $20 with the proper tools and methods. They've held up well with hundreds of draw-fire-reholster shots. It took a box to get used to them over the Glock sites, but should these fail I'll stick with the TFOs. They give me what I want in sites for most any situation. I do have a tube of super glue in my range bag in case they ever loosen. Some suggest using it to prevent loosening.

They are superb in dusky light where my aging eyes aren't as sharp as they used to be, and the time where both I and predators are quite active. I don't want to guess at my aim. The night glow is fantastic once my eyes have dark adapted. I got Green front and Yellow rears as the green appears to be a touch brighter than the others, so it is the first/best noticed and that does help me to get on target quicker.

I also got a 13rd mag with grip extender for the G27, and put a flashlight ring base plate on it, and a 210 lumen flashlight in that. Now for camping I have what brought me to the Glock in the first place. A small light powerful high capacity reliable not dirt fussy rugged pistol that I can hang from my hammock ridge line at night or wear comfortably on my person. The TFOs certainly help give me what I set out to get in a hand gun!

I'm not a banner waving fan-boy of anything, as I first gather information and then make purchase decisions based upon parameters that I feel are important to meet my needs. Both Glock and the TFO's were carefully considered to give me what I wanted without being overly expensive.

Do Due Diligence, think for yourself first then see how you feel about it. Don't first become infected by someone else's ailments and stop there. Life is too important to cheat yourself that way.

Now where's my coffee?
ZardozCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:07   #80
DeLo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZardozCZ View Post

The TFO's on my new G27 have held great for their first 300 rounds. My LGS installed them for me for $20 with the proper tools and methods.
So you feel that 300 rounds is a good life span for night sights?