Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-08-2012, 00:55   #1
Gnflorida

First Shotgun for HD.

Looking to buy a tactical shotgun for the house for home defense but I'm mostly a pistol guy an not sure which direction to head in. wanting to spend 350-500$ suggestions/advice please!
Gnflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 01:33   #2
theblakester

Remington 870 or Mossberg 500. They make different tactical models. I'd suggest something with an 18.5 or 20 inch barrel with open sights and 6+1, or 7+1 capacity. You can add a tac light if you want.
The speed feed butt stocks are pretty popular. I personally like the Knoxx blackhawk recoil reducing adjustable length of pull w/ pistol grip butt stock. It really does reduce recoil a lot. And you can shorten the length of pull a lot making it more maneuverable. That said I would stay away from a regular pistol grip. Theyre hard for me to shoot accurately while maintaining control of the gun. I would also stay away from a receiver mounted side saddle bc they can bend the steel receiver if tightened too much, causing malfunctions. A simple $5 walmart slide on stretchy walmart ammo carrier works just fine. These add ons are definitely not necessary. Check out shotgunworld.com forums for some good shotgun opinions. I believe they like to stick to the KISS motto-keep it simple stupid
Good luck

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Old 04-08-2012, 01:34   #3
Angry Fist
Lifetime Membership
The Original®

Mossberg 500 Persuader. 20" 8 shot, pistol grip.

Do a wake up drill.
I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, s**t-kickers, Methodists, and the GTDS.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Angry Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 01:54   #4
Buffering
The Cooler

I like Remington myself and would suggest that you spend your money on their model 25077. It has everything one would need for a basic and capable HD weapon right out of the box. Here's a link from Bud's for that gun. Many people like and use that model so if you get one you'd be in good company.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/95077
"Of every 100 men that go to battle 70 should not even be there, 20 are nothing but targets, 9 are true soldiers, and we are lucky to have them for they the battle make but ONE, one is a warrior, and HE will bring the others home." Hericlitus
Buffering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:44   #5
Cole125
Silver Membership

I would suggest a plain Mossberg 500 5+1. Make sure to shoot it a lot before using it as a HD gun, you do need to train with shotguns just like any other gun. Some people do not understand that.

Last edited by Cole125; 04-08-2012 at 10:45..
Cole125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 11:36   #6
countrygun

Mossbergs with any type of vertical grip are problematic to say the least. the safety is on the top tang which many of us feel to be an advantage, the "pistol grip" turns it into the slowest safety system around.
I just love to open a can of worms on this topic by suggesting, specifically, a Mossy, or a Remmy, in 20 ga with a youth model stock. If you are intending it for home defense the 20 has the same velocity as the 12 with, depending on load, fewer pellets. At HD distances the extra pellets of the 12 won't be missed. The 20 is easier to practice with an lighter and handier with the youth model stock.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 11:53   #7
Dalton Wayne
CLM Number 239
Epic mustache

Send a message via MSN to Dalton Wayne Send a message via Skype™ to Dalton Wayne
I just bought this for $300.00
Tactical Shotguns
Dalton Wayne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 11:56   #8
Buffering
The Cooler

Country,

I suggested the Remington that I did however I think the Rem. Exp. Compact Jr. is an excellent 20 gauge gun for a multitude of purposes. Everyone thinks 12 gauge when they they think shotgun and quit simply, that shouldn't be the default answer. I've touted this gun as an excellent firearm and I'd like to pick one up this year and swap out the barrel for a factory 18.5/20 bead that Midway currently sells. It's just getting the wife to go along with the idea.
"Of every 100 men that go to battle 70 should not even be there, 20 are nothing but targets, 9 are true soldiers, and we are lucky to have them for they the battle make but ONE, one is a warrior, and HE will bring the others home." Hericlitus
Buffering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 12:15   #9
theblakester

+1 for the 20 gauge loaded w/ buckshot love. That said, a 20 gauge slug doesnt even come close to doin the damage of a 12 ga slug. I use an 870 20 ga youth model with #3 buck backed up by a G22 w/ Federal HSTs. For those of you who doubt a 20 ga loaded with buckshot http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot22.
The only problem that ive come across using a 20 ga for HD is that it's more difficult to find parts/accessories If you choose to make it tactical/cool. However, I dont think a bunch of add ons are necessary. Maybe a light.

Last edited by theblakester; 04-08-2012 at 12:21..
theblakester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 12:31   #10
countrygun

Actually FWIW a couple of studies have shown that the 20 ga slug penetrates better than a 12 due to smaller frontal area. It may not do the "damage" of the 12 but I don't want to try and catch one in my bare hands.

My wife has an 870 youth 20 for upland game and I think, set up like my Mossy 12 with ghost rings, and an 18" barrel it would be a real handy "thumper" carbine.

Fortunately, or unfortunately depending on how you look at it, my wife likes short 12s.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 17:10   #11
mixflip

Figure out what features you like and want first.

steel or aluminum receiver?
cross bolt safety or tang mounted safety?
slide release forward of the trigger guard or behind the trigger guard?
spring loaded shell elevator or fully retracted shell elevator?
single extractor claw or double extractor claw?

These are the features that will send you in one direction or another. Dont just pick a shotgun based on "what you heard is the best". Buy what fits you, what youre comfortable most with and what you are most proficient and accurate with.

This takes time and research.

Remington & Mossbergs have all the features I just mentioned, you just have to figure out which one has the features you like and want. There are a few that have a mix of both Remington & Mossberg features like the Benelli SuperNova and Winchester.

If someone suggests a gun simply because they like it... ask them specifically "why" they like it. Have them explain how its features are superior to other options. Half the time most folks dont know why they like a certain gun which doesnt help you make a wise decision.

Good luck

Last edited by mixflip; 04-08-2012 at 17:15..
mixflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 19:36   #12
carloglock19

You will get a lot of good recommendations on here. You have a price set so now I recommend that you check some out at your LGS and then decide what you like best. I picked up a Mossberg 590SP ($375) when I was looking for a HD shotgun.

BRC - 2016
carloglock19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 21:05   #13
Gnflorida

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for all the advice, think I'm gonna head over and handle a few. Got a good idea of what to atleast ask to see now!!! Thanks again.

Last edited by Gnflorida; 04-08-2012 at 21:06..
Gnflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 20:53   #14
Veedubklown

+1 to the mossberg 500. I'd get it in 20ga, and they have a kit you can get with the 24" choked/ribbed barrel, and an 18" HD barrel. Awesome.
Old 04-09-2012, 21:12   #15
w30olds

Send a message via AIM to w30olds
Another vote for the Remington 870

Goodness and Mercy shall follow me all the days of my life. I shall dwell in the house of the Lord forever.
-Psalm 23:6
w30olds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 21:42   #16
Milhouse58421

I just bought the Mossberg 500 (ZMB Edition.....because it was what my dealer had) anyway, I like the Mossberg because of the tang mounted safety and the slide release. Both are easy to master for a Southpaw....like me. It is also drilled and tapped, so adding ghost ring sights or a reflex red dot will be easy. I will probably also add a flashlight to it and maybe a 4 shot shell holder.

Last edited by Milhouse58421; 04-09-2012 at 21:44..
Milhouse58421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 22:11   #17
Veedubklown

This one?

Tactical Shotguns

I'm a lefty too, and loved the 500. I also liked that the shell lifter doesn't pinch your finger when you load it, like the remingtons do.
Old 04-09-2012, 22:22   #18
gbanker

I recently bought the 870 synthetic (6+1) for 330.00 at a local store. I added a Laserlyte tri rail, Vtac mount, streamlight polytac light and tacstar side saddle for another 114.00.
Old 04-09-2012, 22:29   #19
Milhouse58421

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veedubklown View Post
This one?

Tactical Shotguns

I'm a lefty too, and loved the 500. I also liked that the shell lifter doesn't pinch your finger when you load it, like the remingtons do.
Yep, that's the one. I don't actually "have" it yet...it's on layaway, and will probably take me a couple of weeks to get home. I'll post some pics when I get it, and get it set up the way I want.

The Mossberg just seems to be ideal for a lefty. In fact, it seems the slide release would be awkward for a right hander to use, although apparently not, because I've never heard it mentioned.
Milhouse58421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 20:39   #20
Aceman

There is absolutely nothing wrong with either an 870 or a 500. they each have a couple of plusses and minuses that are irrelevant in the big scheme of things. anyone who shoots either for an afternoon will completely adapt.

The basic versions/low end of each or the 590 870P....they will all work just the same.

Be sure to get a mount and a light whatever you buy. Buy some ammo of choice and pattern it to see what you / your gun likes. I dig almost any low recoil 00 buck.

A 5+1 is just fine. Add the cheap cuff as mentioned.

Practice, practice, practice. Cheaper gun w/ more rounds of practice is way better than expensive gun and less rounds when talking 500/870.

*and yes, the 20g is great too - but I prefer to have ammo easily available and in many choices.

And even the lowly Maverick 88 is a decent choice (and cheap!). I might argue that it has the BEST controls of either the 500 or 870.

Last edited by Aceman; 04-10-2012 at 20:40..
Aceman is offline   Reply With Quote