Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Closed Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 17:11   #61
garebel

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG23 View Post
Dosnt necessarily mean hes going to always see the gun on my hip. And thats Ok ill hide my gun so he can shoot you first.
unit1069 is correct though, Andrew.
Old 04-08-2012, 17:12   #62
slickt0mmy

I'm 23. Got my CHL when I was 22. A few of my friends just turned 21 and are taking their class next week.
Old 04-08-2012, 18:56   #63
Contact

Send a message via AIM to Contact Send a message via Yahoo to Contact
While I support anyone's right to carry however they feel comfortable, I don't do it. I believe open carrying gives up the element of surprise, which is a very precious advantage to give up so willingly. Anyone who believes that an openly carried gun will scare off a confrontation will be very surprised when they find themselves being the first ones taken out by a hardcore criminal, or group of criminals.

As far as describing the typical person who open carries, I've been to a few open carry events and I can tell you they have all turned into a bunch of guys talking about grassy knolls and other conspiracy theories, caliber wars, and how the gubmint wants yer gunnzzz. Additionally, the majority of the people I have ran into outside of these events who open carry seem to do so because they like the effect that it has on other people, whether they admit it or not.

People can deny it all they want, but I feel that there is a VERY large percentage of OC'ers who are open carrying because of the reaction it gets from others. Case in point, the OP who places an amount of importance to how the people he meets react to his gun, and insinuate that they think he's a bad ass for OC'ing.
Old 04-08-2012, 19:14   #64
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contact View Post
W Anyone who believes that an openly carried gun will scare off a confrontation will be very surprised when they find themselves being the first ones taken out by a hardcore criminal, or group of criminals.
Example?

I'm not saying that isn't possible. I am sure it either has happened or will happen...but I believe deterrence is far more likely. I'd rather the armed robbers wait for me to leave or pick somebody else than have to use my element of surprise.

BTW: We have a very well documented example of an armed robbery crew waiting for a couple of open carrying guys to leave before robbing a restaurant.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Old 04-08-2012, 19:55   #65
DeLo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG23 View Post
Just because i OC i cant have a sense of humor? I have to be straight edged even while sitting on my own laptop?
You're a tool. Good luck getting the girls now that you're so BA you can carry.

Last edited by DeLo; 04-08-2012 at 20:02..
Old 04-08-2012, 20:43   #66
Sammael
Ich tu dir Weh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeLo View Post
You're a tool.
Old 04-08-2012, 20:49   #67
Contact

Send a message via AIM to Contact Send a message via Yahoo to Contact
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp View Post
Example?

I'm not saying that isn't possible. I am sure it either has happened or will happen...but I believe deterrence is far more likely. I'd rather the armed robbers wait for me to leave or pick somebody else than have to use my element of surprise.

BTW: We have a very well documented example of an armed robbery crew waiting for a couple of open carrying guys to leave before robbing a restaurant.
An example could be 2 guys running into a bank with AK47's demanding money, and they see a guy standing in line waiting to cash his check with an OC gun, and several other people in line with him...guess who gets popped first?

As far as the restaurant scenario goes, If eliminating those guys from the situation by waiting until they leave works, then it works. But lets say they are more like the typical idiot criminal, and run in without noticing the OC folks. Could have turned out quite a bit differently once things start getting a little hairy.

As I said before, I am all about people carrying the way they are the most comfortable, however when you cowboy up and decide to carry openly, you lose your status as just another face in the crowd, and lose your ability to blend in with everybody else. There are plenty of ways to deter criminals from targeting you without needing to openly strap a gun on your hip to "scare them off."

Think of the girl carrying bags of merchandise from the mall swinging from her arms, a purse swinging from the other arm, talking on the phone and looking at the ground, vs another girl who has her purse over her shoulder, looking at her surroundings, and walking with a purposeful stride. One is just harder to steal from plain and simple, and she didn't need to strap a gun to her hip to prove it, it was a state of mind that made her a harder target, not an object she had to show off.

I guess my only opinion on OC vs CC is that OC makes it a bit harder to go on about your daily life, so aside from the "Oooh/Aahh" factor, I don't think OC is a great idea when you need to go on about your daily life. I will, however, always fight for someones right to carry in the manner they choose, because part of someone's ability to survive a deadly threat is them being comfortable with how they are protecting themselves, even if it's not the best for me.
Old 04-08-2012, 20:53   #68
MaximaDrvr

Started OCing when I was 22 (6 years ago), then became the Director of NC for Sudents for Concealed Carry.
I wore a beard, as without one I looked like a teenager. This may have helped me some, but I never had any problems OCing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Students for Concealed Carry State Director

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by MaximaDrvr; 04-08-2012 at 20:53.. Reason: .
Old 04-08-2012, 21:13   #69
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
An example could be
I am not asking for a "make up a story and post it" 'example', I am asking for a "this is what actually happened one day" example.

Because we have at least one VERY good "this actually happened" example where an armed robbery crew was deterred by open carriers. And who knows how many we don't know about.

You seem to be making a very big deal out of something that does not see to have ever happened (in modern times in the US that we are aware of). Sure it is possible...but basing your decisions on something that is apparently extremely unlikely just doesn't seem to make sense.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Old 04-08-2012, 21:14   #70
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Think of the girl carrying bags of merchandise from the mall swinging from her arms, a purse swinging from the other arm, talking on the phone and looking at the ground, vs another girl who has her purse over her shoulder, looking at her surroundings, and walking with a purposeful stride. One is just harder to steal from plain and simple, and she didn't need to strap a gun to her hip to prove it, it was a state of mind that made her a harder target, not an object she had to show off.
Now make it girl #2 and a girl #3, who is identical to #2 with the exception of an openly holstered pistol on her belt. Guess who is most likely getting robbed? #2.

Closed Thread