Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-08-2012, 19:36   #1
JLA

Revelation

Went to a gun show this Saturday morning and took $70.00 with me. I was trying to see if I could find a decent deal on ammo. Ammo prices weren't too bad but as I was looking I overheard this guy right next to me trying to deal with one of the vendors. All the vendor did was to ridicule the guy's 2 guns that he was selling. This is wrong...that is wrong....blah blah blah.

The vendor was saying that he would not pay more than 40 bucks for the .22 that the guy was trying to sell. The vendor had every right not to buy the gun as I am fully aware of. It just chaps my hide to keep hearing crap like that.

Anyway.... I keep looking at the table and I hear the vendor say to his partner..."Damn. I about got that gun really cheap". "It was a nice gun".

My face got red. All he did was critisize the guy's gun while he was trying to sell it. I mean he could have said something like.." It's a decent gun but I can only give you $40.00 for it... or... The gun's not in the best of shape, that's why I can only give you $40.00". Something along those lines would have seemed more honest and much nicer.

Anyway... I wasn't looking to buy a gun but I got curious about the .22 as he was at the next table looking around. I asked him if I could look at it and he said "sure". It was kinda rough in spots but overall it was pretty nice. The bore was very shiny and it function smoothly. The blueing was pretty good. I asked him what he would take for it. He said $70. I said " It's a pretty decent gun and it's worth $70.00 but I only have $60.00 on me". "Would you take $60 ?" He said "sure". "That guy only offered me $40".

The guy that sold me the gun didn't know that I overheard their conversation between he and the vendor. I never told him as it was really none of my buisiness. Although , I did do the transaction as the vendor was watching us. A little satisfaction on my part for me.

This has been a huge pet peeve of mine for some time now when you go to your local gun shop or gun show and most of the vendors or owners will do nothing but put down or degrade any firearm you are trying to get a fair price for.

Anyway...I got a Revelation 120, a soda, and some yessss....jerky out of the $70 I took. Took it home and shot 50 rounds through it without a hiccup. It shot nice!

Rimfire Forum

Rimfire Forum

Rimfire Forum

Last edited by JLA; 04-08-2012 at 19:41..
JLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 06:30   #2
GSSF17
...2 of 'em

Good grab- will continue to provide years of service for ya, I'd bet. Congrats!
-Rimfire Club#1097 -Florida Glockers Club#1097 -Black Rifle Club #1097 -Certified Glock Armorer

RIP John Noveske- 1976 - 2013
GSSF17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 13:21   #3
bac1023

Very nice

Congrats!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 16:25   #4
dglockster

You can easily judge the character of a man by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
- General Wayne Downing

Lone Star Glockers #3236, Top Guns 357Sig Club #3226, Niner #2632, .40 S&W Club #2332, Kalashnikov Klub 11147, Wheelhouse #2357
dglockster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 17:34   #5
vafish

Looks like a marlin 60.

Is it stamped "western auto supply"

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
educate children." -- Confucius

Last edited by vafish; 04-11-2012 at 17:37..
vafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 17:51   #6
JLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by vafish View Post
Looks like a marlin 60.

Is it stamped "western auto supply"

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Precurser to the 60.
Yep... It is stamped Western Auto Supply.
I got lucky. This thing shoots beautifully. This is my 4th squirrel gun.
JLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 21:39   #7
vafish

As for the jerk that didn't buy it. It really is a $70-$80 rifle. If I were a dealer buying it to resell I wouldn't pay more then $40 for it either. Yeah he could have phrased it better, but he was right on the price.
educate children." -- Confucius
vafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 21:46   #8
smokin762

Nice looking rifle. Congrats on the buy.
smokin762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 23:17   #9
toshbar
Timber Baron

I was offered $300 for a 1943 Springfield Garand. The bore was dark and the stock beat up. I just laughed and walked out.

Sold it on armslist for $700 a week later.
2 4 R

Last edited by toshbar; 04-13-2012 at 23:17..
toshbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 09:27   #10
Mongosafari
El diablo verde

Quote:
Originally Posted by vafish View Post
As for the jerk that didn't buy it. It really is a $70-$80 rifle. If I were a dealer buying it to resell I wouldn't pay more then $40 for it either. Yeah he could have phrased it better, but he was right on the price.
I'm an 01 FFL holder and agree that I would try to get the rifle as cheap as possible. I'm going to invest time and material into a detailed cleaning, maybe sanding the stock down, apply Tru-Oil finish, touch up blue and the rifle may sit on the shelf for a year before I get $70-80 for it. Listing on Gunbroker isn't free... Then of course some cheapskate will offer $35 to take the gun off my hands after the gun it looking good and running 100%.
BUT I treat people much better than the dealer in the initial story of this thread.

About 10 years ago I got into the gun business because I love firearms...I still do but I don't like people anymore.

Last edited by Mongosafari; 04-21-2012 at 09:29..
Mongosafari is offline   Reply With Quote