Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-09-2012, 15:09   #1
ADK_40GLKr

Local IDPA

Just learned the Plattsburgh Rod and Gun Club has club level IDPA every Wednesday evening, and decided to give it a try. The club member I spoke with said some modifications are OK.

I'll be shooting my G27 with my black, blind marked LWD 9mm conversion barrel.

For magazines, I have 1 single stack 10 round 9mm mag, and a G26 10 round magazine, plus the three G27 mags that came with my gun.

I have found that the gun runs fine when I load the G27 mags up with 9mm and shoot.

Does anybody think I'll get a hassle about using the .40 caliber magazines with 9mm? It would sure be easier to have 5 mags pre-loaded, or shouldn't I need that many?
Luke 22:36 He said to them, ... if you dont have a Glock, sell your cloak and buy one."

NRA, GSSF, IDPA, NY voter.
ADK_40GLKr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 17:22   #2
SARDG

You will get no hassle shooting 9 mil mags with a .40 cal gun - but I'd check the reliability of your rig. Club level shoots are also less 'picky' about national IDPA rules on all fronts.

In IDPA you need only 3 mags (1 in the gun, 2 on your waist) - if hastily reloading mags between stages doesn't detain or delay you or others. I have 30 mags I load and take to matches, and at least 18 I take to practices so that I can grab already loaded mags when required. YMMV.

Last edited by SARDG; 04-09-2012 at 17:23..
SARDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 17:41   #3
ADK_40GLKr

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARDG View Post
You will get no hassle shooting 9 mil mags with a .40 cal gun - but I'd check the reliability of your rig. Club level shoots are also less 'picky' about national IDPA rules on all fronts.

In IDPA you need only 3 mags (1 in the gun, 2 on your waist) - if hastily reloading mags between stages doesn't detain or delay you or others. I have 30 mags I load and take to matches, and at least 18 I take to practices so that I can grab already loaded mags when required. YMMV.
Thanks, Sardg! Looking forward to getting my feet wet.
Luke 22:36 He said to them, ... if you dont have a Glock, sell your cloak and buy one."

Old 04-12-2012, 05:05   #4
ADK_40GLKr

IDPA local last night

Hey SARDG! I won! I got the highest score!

Actually shot pretty well. I was happy that I got all 30 shots on the target at 25 yards. It was administrative things that hurt worse: forgetting to reload, fumbling my reload, etc.

I hadn't practiced weak hand enough either.

And, as suggested, the local club did not mind the LWD 9mm conversion barrel or the extra magazine being a .40. I found 1 new G26 mag at Gander Mt right before the session, so I had 3 9mm mags.

Since each stage had 30 shots, 6 mags loaded with 6, 6, 6, 6, 3 & 3 would have been perfect and would have saved me and the club a bit of down time while I reloaded them.

Just some things to consider my next visit. And YES, I will be joining the Plattsburgh Rod & Gun Club!

Last edited by ADK_40GLKr; 04-12-2012 at 05:07..
Old 04-12-2012, 06:42   #5
HK Dan

Hmmm...IDPA is limited to 18 rounds perstage. Well, 18 rounds per STRING, I guess, if a stage had 3 10 round strings it would be legal. In that case, run 3 mags, 10, 10, and 10. You can only take 3 mags to a stage with you.

You can shoot a conversion barrel in IDPA, but it must be in ESP Division.

If you shot the highest score, you lost (badly). IDPA wins go to the lowest score, like golf.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:25   #6
ron59
Bustin Caps

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK Dan View Post
Hmmm...IDPA is limited to 18 rounds perstage. Well, 18 rounds per STRING, I guess, if a stage had 3 10 round strings it would be legal. In that case, run 3 mags, 10, 10, and 10. You can only take 3 mags to a stage with you.

You can shoot a conversion barrel in IDPA, but it must be in ESP Division.

If you shot the highest score, you lost (badly). IDPA wins go to the lowest score, like golf.
I think that's why he used the "embarassed face" smiley. He was aware low score won.

As far as the rounds... almost sounds to me like he was shooting a classifier stage, talking about 30 rounds per stage. There are technially 3 stages to a classifier (listed as stages in the rule book), with the first stage having 33 rounds and the second two 30 rounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxerglocker View Post
WTF?! How a cheap can an old, the old fart get?!
ron59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:34   #7
chaplain 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron59 View Post
I think that's why he used the "embarassed face" smiley. He was aware low score won.

As far as the rounds... almost sounds to me like he was shooting a classifier stage, talking about 30 rounds per stage. There are technially 3 stages to a classifier (listed as stages in the rule book), with the first stage having 33 rounds and the second two 30 rounds.
According to the IDPA rule book a classifier is a total of ninety rounds shot in three stages. Extra shots would be a procedural error.
chaplain 31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:50   #8
SARDG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADK_40GLKr View Post

Actually shot pretty well. I was happy that I got all 30 shots on the target at 25 yards. It was administrative things that hurt worse: forgetting to reload, fumbling my reload, etc.

And, as suggested, the local club did not mind the LWD 9mm conversion barrel or the extra magazine being a .40. I found 1 new G26 mag at Gander Mt right before the session, so I had 3 9mm mags.

Since each stage had 30 shots, 6 mags loaded with 6, 6, 6, 6, 3 & 3 would have been perfect and would have saved me and the club a bit of down time while I reloaded them.

Just some things to consider my next visit. And YES, I will be joining the Plattsburgh Rod & Gun Club!
I'm sure that was tongue-in-cheek, but I know the feeling. Match Directors frequently keep track of the Most Accurate Shooter however, and you could strive for that. It's not that unusual for me to get Most Accurate Shooter - but I have NEVER won a match.

What you describe sounds like Exercise-based rather than Scenario-based. If it's the Classifier, those are strange birds with limited mag loads as normally you would load to IDPA capacity of 10+1 to begin a string. You would need several mags for Stage 1 of the normal Classifier anyway, which includes 7 strings.

Keep at it...

Last edited by SARDG; 04-12-2012 at 07:51.. Reason: sp
Old 04-12-2012, 08:03   #9
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:

That is what makes it worth paying to shoot in these matches - not only do you get feedback on how well you did, compared to others, but they force you to practice the skills you have ignored on your own. I consider it a very important part of shooter training/development.
Old 04-12-2012, 12:35   #10
ron59
Bustin Caps

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaplain 31 View Post
According to the IDPA rule book a classifier is a total of ninety rounds shot in three stages. Extra shots would be a procedural error.
I did my math wrong. Yes, it's 3 stages of 30 rounds.

So... sounds like he was describing shooting a classifier, probably didn't realize it or something.

Quote:
Old 04-12-2012, 15:33   #11
ADK_40GLKr

My friend the scorekeeper told me it was a classifier. I didn't really get a classification because of my high score. The 30 that hit the cardboard were in the third stage, in which I was able to rest my wrist against the edge of the barrier.

A score of 270 (269.93) gives me something to shoot for (ugh) if I'm in ESP. If I can shave off 80 points, I'll achieve Marksman. But my main purpose in going is to improve my shooting skills, and this gives me a couple clues as to what I need to work on.

Yeah, the SO suggested we load our mags with 6 shots each as each string was 3, 6, or 12 rounds. That way we didn't have to fumble with clearing the gun after each string?

Old 04-12-2012, 15:54   #12
ADK_40GLKr

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaplain 31 View Post
In my Classifier description sheet, it says to "load 6", but shoot 3 in string 5, then use the 3 remaining in string 6, then "reload from slide lock" and fire 3 more.

It looks like 33 rounds, but strings 5 & 6 only total 9, not 12.

But as I said, this was my first try, and I didn't realize how to understand the sheet (pages 66 - 69 from some book) until I studied it AFTER the match.

I said earlier that I picked up quite a few points on procedural foul-ups, so I ought to be able to improve quite a bit next match by just understanding better how to read the instructions.

Old 04-12-2012, 16:15   #13
ADK_40GLKr

Quote:

This was stage 3. It actually started at 20 yards, behind a barrier (door) and moved to a 55 gallon drum at 15 yards. I could steady my grip against the barrier, which helped me hit the targets. String 2 moved from to 20 yd to the 15 yd barrier.

I noticed in the scoring at the end Of each shooter's stage that it was set up so that each target should have exactly 10 hits, unless we totally missed. That sure simplifies scoring.

All in all, it was a fun evening!

Old 04-12-2012, 20:18   #14
SARDG

Quote:
My friend the scorekeeper told me it was a classifier. I didn't really get a classification because of my high score...
You'll have to join IDPA to get a classification that counts in IDPA sanctioned matches. Truthfully, you'll have to join IDPA to shoot santioned matches.
Old 04-12-2012, 20:58   #15
ron59
Bustin Caps

Quote:
This was stage 3. It actually started at 20 yards, behind a barrier (door) and moved to a 55 gallon drum at 15 yards. I could steady my grip against the barrier, which helped me hit the targets. String 2 moved from to 20 yd to the 15 yd barrier.

I noticed in the scoring at the end Of each shooter's stage that it was set up so that each target should have exactly 10 hits, unless we totally missed. That sure simplifies scoring.

If you're a member... regardless of how "bad" your score is, you're classified. If you didn't score well enough to be in the "Marksman" category, you'd be considered a Novice.

It really doesn't take much practice to make Marksman. Just shoot a little more.
I easily made Sharpshooter 4 months after buying my G17. I just shot a few thousand rounds in that time.

Quote:
Old 04-12-2012, 20:58   #16
xXGearheadXx

Quote:

that's what it's all about. be safe 1st and have a good time with the competitions.

As for those "areas of improvement" you talk about...look for one (or a few) in every match you shoot. After our matches, my buddies and i all state at least one thing we want to work on that made us uncomfortable during that day's match....when we go back to practice we work on those things until they become at least a little more natural.

We also end every practice session with a set of PAR drills (drawing and firing on the target a certain way under a time limit)...and we ALWAYS throw strong and weak handed practice into these drills. They've helped immensely.

Last edited by xXGearheadXx; 04-12-2012 at 21:10..
xXGearheadXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 23:45   #17
Veedubklown

Good thing the club will let you shoot your 40-9 conversion barrel. It's not technically allowed, in IDPA. You also need to use the same capacity magazines, through your stage. I use glock 17 mags.

General Competition

I tried the sleeves, but didn't like them for a couple reasons. You need one for every mag, I have 5. They don't like to fit well in my mag holster. They also made my reloads a bit clumsy. I learned to love the grip with the mag sticking out.

I found that the short sight radius and subcompact size was more difficult to get lower scores with, so I switched to a 9mm 1911 in ESP. Drastic improvement. IDPA is addicting, that's for sure.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:03   #18
waktasz
Gamer Scumbag

Conversion barrels are legal in ESP.

You also don't have to use the same capacity mags. For example if you were shooting a Glock 27 and had 2 stock mags and a spare Glock 22 mag, you could load them all to 9 and use them interchangeably.
waktasz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 17:08   #19
Veedubklown

Quote:
Originally Posted by waktasz View Post
Conversion barrels are legal in ESP.

You also don't have to use the same capacity mags. For example if you were shooting a Glock 27 and had 2 stock mags and a spare Glock 22 mag, you could load them all to 9 and use them interchangeably.
ESP opens up a whole new list of capable modifications, but the playing field is much higher. I wouldn't use mags that drop me a round. I know some guys do, I wouldn't.

Didn't really think about ESP though, since I always shot my glock SSP.
Old 04-13-2012, 21:11   #20
waktasz
Gamer Scumbag

ESP is harder to classify high, but in reality the match results between SSP and ESP are pretty much the same.

I like ESP because I like to do things to my guns that aren't allowed in stock classes.
waktasz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 22:51   #21
Veedubklown

Quote:
Originally Posted by waktasz View Post
ESP is harder to classify high, but in reality the match results between SSP and ESP are pretty much the same.

I like ESP because I like to do things to my guns that aren't allowed in stock classes.
I like ESP because I can shoot a hi-cap 1911 in 9mm.

General Competition