Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-07-2012, 11:30   #1
Grappler112

My old savage

Just made my first range trip with a old savage .22 rifle that was once my grandfathers. Probably hasn't been shot since the 70s or 80s and was made between 1923 and 1933. still shoots just fine though, it is so heavy it felt like a bb gun, and the magazine is stuck so it is a single shot bolt action basically, but really fun to shoot

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Grappler112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 11:37   #2
JimIsland

Cool....I picked up a Savage 22 on sale at Dicks several months ago. It came with a little cheap scope and was around 140.00. Took it to my buddies farm and got it sighted in. I can keep a tight group out to 100 yrds. Pretty impressed with a very inexpensive .22 plus it not a bolt action....it's a semi auto with a 10 shot clip.
JimIsland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 17:43   #3
smokeross
GTDS Member #49

I love those old guns. I still shoot and hunt with my Dad's old .22 Winchester. He won't let go of his Colt Woodsman Target yet. He is 86 and has a tough time seeing the sights, so he shoots from the hip. Never misses. Keep using and shooting that old Savage.

Shoot Low Boys, They're Riding Shetland Ponies.
smokeross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 22:05   #4
bac1023

Very cool

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 19:58   #5
Grappler112

Pic will come tried to post with my phone but didn't work Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Last edited by Grappler112; 04-09-2012 at 20:00..
Old 04-09-2012, 22:07   #6
Veedubklown

Here's my old NRA match, model 23A I think.

Rimfire Forum

I'd like to figure out how to drill/tap a period correct appearing scope/mount to it. Any ideas?
Old 05-09-2012, 16:51   #7
Grappler112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veedubklown View Post

Rimfire Forum

I'd like to figure out how to drill/tap a period correct appearing scope/mount to it. Any ideas?
I would also like info on this, though as a future project. I did get the magazine out and that has uped the shooting fun.
Old 05-09-2012, 17:14   #8
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veedubklown View Post

Rimfire Forum

If you decide to devalue it severly by tapping it, finding the scope an mount isn't that hard. I have a couple of spares like the one on my Savage in the "beautiful rifle" thread. they are not that hard to find, althought my "spares" need refinishing due to our costal climate. I have pulled a couple off older rifles I've restored. Most of the mounts are pretty universal just curved to fit on the left side of round receivers.

Of course complete shame on you if you ruin such a fine rifle by actually doing that.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 22:21   #9
Veedubklown

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
If you decide to devalue it severly by tapping it, finding the scope an mount isn't that hard. I have a couple of spares like the one on my Savage in the "beautiful rifle" thread. they are not that hard to find, althought my "spares" need refinishing due to our costal climate. I have pulled a couple off older rifles I've restored. Most of the mounts are pretty universal just curved to fit on the left side of round receivers.

Of course complete shame on you if you ruin such a fine rifle by actually doing that.
I paid $125 for it, and going off of sold GB auctions, that's what they're worth. If you feel this rifle is especially valuable, I'd be willing to part with it. Just sayin. A scope would make it more fun.
Old 05-10-2012, 03:58   #10
Bob Hafler

My neighbor knows I like old rifles. Monday he gives me a .22 Marlin bolt action tube fed DL81 made probably around 1953 as near as I can tell. It has and old 3/4" Weaver G4 scope on it that is supprisingly clear. Has a little surface pitting on the outside of the barrel but the bore is clean and bright and everything works fine after a little cleaning up and lubing. I have a newer 10/22 that is darned accurate, but I believe this little Marlin would be more accurate than the 10/22 at longer ranges. What's also nice about it is it shoots Short /Long/ Long Rifle rounds. Old rifles are a blast and usually pretty inexpensive to buy and shoot.

Last edited by Bob Hafler; 05-10-2012 at 05:44..
Bob Hafler is offline   Reply With Quote