Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-10-2012, 06:26   #1
MagTen

Hunting AK & CN big bears

I do have another question for you guys and gals that have hunted either big bears up north. I have been doing some penetration tests with all my 35s and my 45 WM shooting thru one gallon oil jugs with 5/8" plywood stacked in between the jugs. Give me an idea the diameter and about size of a 1000-1200# shoulder bone? And how thick would his shoulder meat be before you get to his vitals? And if the shoulder bone was lying on the ground could you break thru it with an axe? Give me an idea?? Or a photo.

Below is 265 gr. Cast Performance for 45WM.

Hunting, Fishing & Camping
MagTen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:34   #2
smokeross
GTDS Member #49

I have shoulder blades from a 9 1/2' Brownie that I shot with a .348 Winchester model 71. None hit the blades though. No pass through shots either. i have killed 30 moose, but only one was hit in the shoulder blade, and that was with a .300 mag at fairly close range. It was ugly, and the penetration was not good. The bullets that day were not a good choice for moose (or bear for that matter) You want a premium quality bullet for these large, and dangerous animals. If you are using a handgun, use the hardest, heaviest bullet for your caliber. In a long gun such as a .300, .338, .375 go with something like a Barnes X. In the large, slower moving calibers like .45-70 and the like, go again with a heavy hard bullet. Just FYI. I checked into what the guides carried for backing up their clients on Kodiak when I moved here over 30 years ago. The weapon of choice THEN was the .375 H&H magnum. With the proliferation of so many new cartridges, the .375 may not be the king today, but it for sure is still a popular choice. You can't have TOO much gun when you are around Brown bears. Griz are a lot smaller although some people lump them in with the Brownies. Good Luck on your hunt.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:11   #3
MagTen

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeross View Post
I have shoulder blades from a 9 1/2' Brownie that I shot with a .348 Winchester model 71. None hit the blades though. No pass through shots either. i have killed 30 moose, but only one was hit in the shoulder blade, and that was with a .300 mag at fairly close range. It was ugly, and the penetration was not good. The bullets that day were not a good choice for moose (or bear for that matter) You want a premium quality bullet for these large, and dangerous animals. If you are using a handgun, use the hardest, heaviest bullet for your caliber. In a long gun such as a .300, .338, .375 go with something like a Barnes X. In the large, slower moving calibers like .45-70 and the like, go again with a heavy hard bullet. Just FYI. I checked into what the guides carried for backing up their clients on Kodiak when I moved here over 30 years ago. The weapon of choice THEN was the .375 H&H magnum. With the proliferation of so many new cartridges, the .375 may not be the king today, but it for sure is still a popular choice. You can't have TOO much gun when you are around Brown bears. Griz are a lot smaller although some people lump them in with the Brownies. Good Luck on your hunt.
Thanks a bunch. How thick are the blades and if you have seen the shoulder bones how would they measure? My primary gun will not be a handgun. I have both 350 remmag and 35 whelen that I hand load the new TTSX bullets.
MagTen is offline   Reply With Quote