Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-12-2012, 13:31   #21
DannyII

IT WORKED!!!!

At 10:30 this morning, I dropped off a copy of my letter to local restaurant (Dairy Queen) that has had a "No Firearms" sign posted for quite a while. I had a brief conversation with the manager, and just asked her to please read my letter detailing my thoughts on the sign. I thanked her for her time, and left.

When I drove past at 1:00, the sign was gone!

Sa-weet!!!
Old 04-12-2012, 13:45   #22
pipedreams

For those that still want to post a sign what about something like " Lawful firearms carriers welcome"

I think sometimes when people put up signs their not thinking about lawful carriers but instead just the bad guys.

Never look down on anybody, unless you're helping them up.
pipedreams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 13:50   #23
DannyII

Buckeye Firearms Association has just such a pro-CCW sign oin their website http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/Download-Literature

But I'm not sure anyone but a gunshop, or range would post it for fear it might freak out some anti-gun folks.

To my way of thinking, concealed means concealed. Kinda like don't ask, don't tell. Well, sort of.
Old 04-12-2012, 14:07   #24
pipedreams

Good point. Some time ago someone had posted about pro gun signs being spotted in some stores and banks in TX. I believe. Those signs sort of put bad guys on notice they might run into trouble. But I agree no signs at all are best.

Never look down on anybody, unless you're helping them up.
pipedreams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 17:23   #25
Spike52

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyII View Post
IT WORKED!!!!

At 10:30 this morning, I dropped off a copy of my letter to local restaurant (Dairy Queen) that has had a "No Firearms" sign posted for quite a while. I had a brief conversation with the manager, and just asked her to please read my letter detailing my thoughts on the sign. I thanked her for her time, and left.

Sa-weet!!!
Shut the front door!
That's awesome, D!
See what I get for being a naysayer?
You realize you'll be branded an "activist" now.
Congratulations. :thumbup:
-S

Last edited by Spike52; 04-12-2012 at 17:23..
Spike52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 17:41   #26
DannyII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike52 View Post
Shut the front door!
That's awesome, D!
See what I get for being a naysayer?
You realize you'll be branded an "activist" now.
Congratulations. :thumbup:
-S
Thanks! I was pretty shocked, too!

I prefer "bystander emeritus" to activist.
Old 04-12-2012, 17:59   #27
Spike52

Doesn't matter what you prefer... You're a "Propaganda Distributing Neocon Nutjob" now.
May as well own it. :D

You know... The best thing about being a patriotic gunowner is that it makes the spotted owl-kissing, tree-hugging antis insane. Buahahahaaaa...
-S
Spike52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 13:30   #28
Rustin

First of all let me say thanks Danny, and that this is a brilliant idea. I've considered writing letters like this but it's not easy. Only thing is, I would be more pressed to tell them how they won't be getting my business, or my families or friend's or something of that effect written in a sensible, intelligent way. I'm definitely bookmarking this. Thanks for your commitment in securing our rights. Like you said, Ohio is a long way off from becoming a no permit state, but with people like you who are willing to educate and persuade others, hopefully we're on the right track. Thanks bud.
Rustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 22:53   #29
ScottieG59

I find firearms and concealed carry is one of those concepts that some people do not get until something happens. My wife was always uncomfortable knowing I had firearms. It was not something she liked knowing about and overall, I was fine with not discussing it.

A few weeks ago, a neighbor had a home invasion in which a family member was murdered. We live in a rural area and the area was covered with police and investigators. It was a bit unnerving for her to see something so violent so close to where we live. I discussed the issue of having firearms and that scenarios like this is one reason I have them. She told me that if someone kicked the door in like at the neighbor's house, I would not be able to get to the safe, open it and get the gun quickly enough. It kind of surprised me that she never noticed, but I told her I always carry where I legally can and would never have to go to get the gun, because it is always on my person. She finally got some insight as to what I was talking about. For the first time, she finally felt okay with my packing a loaded firearm.

I have discussed the issue with others I know and even people with law enforcement backgrounds do not carry unless the are forced to.

Others who fear or otherwise oppose concealed carry have to feel the helplessness of being a victim before they understand what it feels like. As to businesses I have seen in the area, Nebraska Furniture Mart is one of the few with a no gun (free fire zone) policy. Of course, Warren Buffet is one of the owners and is a leftist in his ivory tower. I have seen other stores that have no gun signs, but Kansas describes a very specific format the sign must have. Only Nebraska Furniture seems to have posted the signs in accordance with the Kansas Law.

Recently, Kansas is considering a law to require gun free businesses to have security and metal detectors at all entrances as a condition to be recognized. This will at least address the idea that the people inside are easy targets. I do not know how this would be implemented. Having a retired door greater with a wand will not deter an attack.

Out there in fly-over country...
ScottieG59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 06:31   #30
DannyII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustin View Post
First of all let me say thanks Danny, and that this is a brilliant idea. I've considered writing letters like this but it's not easy. Only thing is, I would be more pressed to tell them how they won't be getting my business, or my families or friend's or something of that effect written in a sensible, intelligent way.
Thanks!

I know that "no guns = no $$$" is the theme of a lot of those type of cards, but I wanted my letter to be more reasoned persuasion than threatening. I suppose if after receiving the letter, and them still posting the sign, the "no guns = no $$$" would be appropriate. Sort of a step 1, step 2 approach.

Feel free to use all, or part of the letter for your own.
Old 04-14-2012, 06:41   #31
DannyII

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottieG59 View Post
I find firearms and concealed carry is one of those concepts that some people do not get until something happens. My wife was always uncomfortable knowing I had firearms. It was not something she liked knowing about and overall, I was fine with not discussing it.

A few weeks ago, a neighbor had a home invasion in which a family member was murdered. We live in a rural area and the area was covered with police and investigators. It was a bit unnerving for her to see something so violent so close to where we live. I discussed the issue of having firearms and that scenarios like this is one reason I have them. She told me that if someone kicked the door in like at the neighbor's house, I would not be able to get to the safe, open it and get the gun quickly enough. It kind of surprised me that she never noticed, but I told her I always carry where I legally can and would never have to go to get the gun, because it is always on my person. She finally got some insight as to what I was talking about. For the first time, she finally felt okay with my packing a loaded firearm.

I have discussed the issue with others I know and even people with law enforcement backgrounds do not carry unless the are forced to.

Others who fear or otherwise oppose concealed carry have to feel the helplessness of being a victim before they understand what it feels like. As to businesses I have seen in the area, Nebraska Furniture Mart is one of the few with a no gun (free fire zone) policy. Of course, Warren Buffet is one of the owners and is a leftist in his ivory tower. I have seen other stores that have no gun signs, but Kansas describes a very specific format the sign must have. Only Nebraska Furniture seems to have posted the signs in accordance with the Kansas Law.

Recently, Kansas is considering a law to require gun free businesses to have security and metal detectors at all entrances as a condition to be recognized. This will at least address the idea that the people inside are easy targets. I do not know how this would be implemented. Having a retired door greater with a wand will not deter an attack.

Out there in fly-over country...
You are so right! The term Sheeple is so appropriate. The majority of folks walk around in blissful ignorance, until something happens to them, then they are shocked and outraged. Even reading about crime in their city doesn't phase them usually. It has to be in their face. It's the same thing as installing an alarm system after a burglary. Too little, too late.

I prefer to be a Sheep dog. I couldn't care less what others think of my carrying. I carry to protect me, and mine.

My wife had not even held a gun until after we got married. She didn't understand, or like me carrying at first. But now before we head to visit family in Detroit, or Memphis, she makes sure I'm "packing", as she says. One time we took a wrong turn in Memphis and ended up in a not so good part of town. She asked me if I was carrying, and said, "I'm really glad you're carrying right now."
Old 04-14-2012, 06:57   #32
truetopath

Congrats on the success, keep on advocating!!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
truetopath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 12:02   #33
tim12232
Pistolero

You should make your letter a nice PDF file and then send it to GT members who PM you! Its well written and seems to be working at Dairy Queen, now if we can get her husband "Burger King" to do the same we will have breakfast, lunch and dessert covered!
I also had no need for NV, so I went with the 512. As far as the submersion, if I'm 10 feet under water and still holding onto my rifle, something has gone terribly awry and I don't think an extra 23 feet is going to matter to me. YMMV
G21 Club #858
tim12232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 15:22   #34
DannyII

Ha ha!

You can copy & paste my #1 post into a Word document, with narrow margins (.5" all around), and 12 point Times New Roman and it fits on one 8-1/2 x 11" sheet. That way you can edit it to suit your own needs, or make it applicable to your state.
Old 04-15-2012, 14:47   #35
ca survivor

I'll make it simpler, sign is up, I can't spend my money there.

Last edited by ca survivor; 04-15-2012 at 14:48..
ca survivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 17:30   #36
Gunnut 45/454

You should hand that to the owner/manager and then state your leaving to take your buisness else where! Why would you spend your money in a place that doesn' twant you there? If they ask why your leaving -tell them right out as long as you post the sign your money will go else where. I don't have your problem as sign don't mean anything here.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:29   #37
dherloc
X-Nuc

Quote:
IT WORKED!!!!

Sa-weet!!!
Good Job!
dherloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 15:00   #38
DannyII

Well...it worked again!

This morning my business took my near the local JC Penney, and I noticed their "No firearms" sign posted. I got a copy of my letter, went in and spoke very briefly with the manager about how I felt the store's "no firearms" sign was actually counterproductive to increasing the safety level of the store, and handed him my letter and politely asked him to read it. I thanked him for his time, and left. I was in and out in about 3 minutes.

That was at 10:30. I had to go back near there at 3:00, and the sign was down!!!!

Another victory!

That makes two letters, and two signs down! We're 2-0!
Old 05-01-2012, 16:09   #39
NvrDwn

Quote:
Well...it worked again!

This morning my business took my near the local JC Penney, and I noticed their "No firearms" sign posted. I got a copy of my letter, went in and spoke very briefly with the manager about how I felt the store's "no firearms" sign was actually counterproductive to increasing the safety level of the store, and handed him my letter and politely asked him to read it. I thanked him for his time, and left. I was in and out in about 3 minutes.

That was at 10:30. I had to go back near there at 3:00, and the sign was down!!!!

Another victory!

That makes two letters, and two signs down! We're 2-0!
Thats awesome. I will copy this letter.
NvrDwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 18:28   #40
DannyII

Thanks.

I admit that I'm a bit surprised at the positive reception the letter is getting.