Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-04-2012, 14:09   #1
orangeride

Anybody try a recoil buffer?

Im looking at trying a recoil buffer in my 20sf, and wondering if anyone has had a good, or bad experience using one.
orangeride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 14:53   #2
Ethereal Killer

as a general rule, recoil buffers used in a weapon not originally equipped with one are a bad idea. they have a habit of breaking and jamming the action or causing cycling issues.

best thing to to is a stronger spring and/or reducing your loads. I hear a compensator also reduced slide speed some.
Ethereal Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 16:04   #3
bear10

recoil?

what recoil? the G20 absorbs recoil so well I don't notice any recoil.
bear10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 20:51   #4
WeeWilly

I ordered one the other day for my G20SF. Thought I would try a few different combinations and loads, should be fun, pretty cheap.

Even if I didn't have any feeding issues, I doubt I would leave it in for use on animate objects. But it can't hurt to ease the strain on the receiver for recreational use, IF the gun will feed.
WeeWilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 20:56   #5
gunsmithlee

I tried one way waaaaaay back when I got my first Glock. Honestly, I didn't notice any difference, so didn't waste anymore time on it ever since. They are nice in a 1911. From what I understand they will actually increase the life of an alloy framed gun. But a Glock is polymer, there is no metal on metal slapping stress to dampen.
gunsmithlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:29   #6
akjaeger

I bought one and put in into my 20sf. It seems to cause feed issues. I get failure to feeds with it installed (stock spring)
I've tried it several times with the same result.
akjaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 13:01   #7
ModGlock17

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeride View Post
Im looking at trying a recoil buffer in my 20sf, and wondering if anyone has had a good, or bad experience using one.
Do you have a purpose in mind? or Are you trying it for the sake of trying it?

I retired my stock G20 barrel with a 6" KKM barrel. My purpose was to get more accuracy. The extra mass of the longer barrel actually tamed the recoil quite a bit. It's now a rather soft shooting gun with ammo in the 700ft-lbs range.

EDIT: Never mind. I saw your postings regarding frame battering. The combination of heavier spring and heavier barrel may help.

Last edited by ModGlock17; 04-06-2012 at 13:38..
ModGlock17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 19:32   #8
orangeride

Quote:
Originally Posted by akjaeger View Post
I bought one and put in into my 20sf. It seems to cause feed issues. I get failure to feeds with it installed (stock spring)
What brand of buffer where you using?
Old 04-06-2012, 22:58   #9
akjaeger

It was a Wilson from Midway
akjaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 01:21   #10
Any Cal.

Do you have a way to weigh both barrels? I would be interested in seeing what the difference was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModGlock17 View Post
Do you have a purpose in mind? or Are you trying it for the sake of trying it?

I retired my stock G20 barrel with a 6" KKM barrel. My purpose was to get more accuracy. The extra mass of the longer barrel actually tamed the recoil quite a bit. It's now a rather soft shooting gun with ammo in the 700ft-lbs range.

EDIT: Never mind. I saw your postings regarding frame battering. The combination of heavier spring and heavier barrel may help.
Any Cal. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 07:06   #11
Lowjiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsmithlee View Post
...They are nice in a 1911. ...
I've used them in all my 1911's for many years, but not in any other pistols.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
Lowjiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 07:09   #12
FishDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by akjaeger View Post
This was my experience with them as well.
FishDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 07:56   #13
ModGlock17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Any Cal. View Post
Do you have a way to weigh both barrels? I would be interested in seeing what the difference was.
I don't have a precise way to do that. I used the wife's scale in the kitchen (a $5 scale ?).

Stock barrel showed 4 ounces. KKM 6" showed 6 ounces, 50% more ?

It's inertia that should be of interest, not just weight but the distribution of that weight. So the 2 extra ounces, again measurement precision is not the strength here, hangs off the front end by comparison.

Also, it takes the bullet longer to exit the 6" barrel so that may delay the full impart of recoil, or spread it over a longer period of time. Therefore, you should "feel" less recoil ?

So if we were to compare the two, the KKM suggest somewhere below 50% less recoil ? I haven't have my coffee yet. LOL

Edit: I was wrong. You'd have to take the 2 extra ounces in comparison to the total weight of the gun. Much less than 50%.

Last edited by ModGlock17; 04-07-2012 at 08:20..
ModGlock17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 13:59   #14
Any Cal.

Thanks. I have been running a comp, which adds about two and a half oz, and wondered how the six inch barrel compared weightwise.
Any Cal. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 21:29   #15
orangeride

Update on my experiance with a "buffer technologies" buffer in my 20sf. Tonight at the range I went through 2-3 hundred rounds from very light to mid range hot 135's. I also tried several weight springs from 24 down to stock. Everything worked great but I did notice much weaker ejection especially with the heavy springs. I did have one problem when practicing rapid fire drills the empty from the last shot did drop back into the gun, but the slide was locked back. At least in my gun I think the buffer is fine for the range, but I'll be pulling it the rest of the time.
Old 04-17-2012, 21:14   #16
WeeWilly

I got my Wilson Combat buffer for my G20SF and tried it the other day. I had a few FTF's in the first 50 or so, so I replaced the 22# recoil spring with stock unit and tried again. Same result, stirpped it and put the big spring back in. So much for that idea.
WeeWilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 18:28   #17
Blowout

Hope it isn't bad manners on this forum to revive an old thread...but I just came across this one.

I have Buffer Tech buffers in a G23, CZ75 and Hi-power for over 15 years. I have only had a stoppage in the Hi-power when it was first installed when it seemed to be seating in. I checked and reinstalled and no issue ever after. I strip the gun and remove these while cleaning every time. I can only say good things about these buffers. The G23 also has a Haart spring guide, but I think the buffer made more of a difference in taming recoil. Just my experience with the Buffer Tech buffer.

Last time shooting the 1911's with my son, he mentioned something was wrong with the gun he was shooting and found the buffers had begun to disinegrate in both guns. They were Wilson buffers I believe, but were years old and probably 20k+ rounds through each after the buffer was installed. I have grown so accustom to a buffer in the guns I didn't realize how rough they ran without one.