Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Closed Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 18:11   #61
BENCH

So the over sized lead bullet uses that advantage to capture the gases to help propel it? Is that right?
Old 04-15-2012, 18:20   #62
GioaJack
Conifer Jack

There ya go. Blow-by is virtually impossible to eliminate, (watch super slow motion film of any gun being fired and you will see gases escaping ahead of the bullet), but reducing it as much as possible increases propellent efficiency.

Since lead bullets are very size dependent the thousandth over bore reduces the likelihood of leading also.

Jack

A PACIFIST is someone who won't raise their hands to defend themselves...
A COWARD is someone who won't raise their hands to defend someone else.
Old 04-15-2012, 18:43   #63
WiskyT
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioaJack View Post
Barrels don't shave down bullets, (at least not on purpose). A lead bullet is normal sized a thousandth over bore diameter so it can obturate into the lands and reduce blow-by.

Jack
It's not that is shaves them, it's that it swages them just like a sizer. Lee recommends using the largest diameter bullet that will still chamber in loaded round since it will just swage down as it enters the bore. It saves a lot of trouble, since bullets don't have to be just right, they just have to be big enough.

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
Old 04-15-2012, 19:07   #64
BENCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiskyT View Post
It's not that is shaves them, it's that it swages them just like a sizer. Lee recommends using the largest diameter bullet that will still chamber in loaded round since it will just swage down as it enters the bore. It saves a lot of trouble, since bullets don't have to be just right, they just have to be big enough.
Well, what happens too all the shaved lead? Does it build up, and fall into the trigger area?

Sorry for all the stupid questions, I'm still trying to see how all this works.

Over sized lead bullet, enters throat, and is shaved down to fit barrel.

I'm diggin it, because I have 2k of lead bullets for my 44 mag.

BENCH
Old 04-15-2012, 19:13   #65
WiskyT
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENCH View Post
Well, what happens too all the shaved lead? Does it build up, and fall into the trigger area?

Sorry for all the stupid questions, I'm still trying to see how all this works.

Over sized lead bullet, enters throat, and is shaved down to fit barrel.

I'm diggin it, because I have 2k of lead bullets for my 44 mag.

BENCH
The bullet material isn't cut off by some type of sharp edge, the diameter of the bullet is squeezed down smaller as it passes through the tapered forcing cone/throat area. It's just like the sizer used to size bullet. You take a 0.361" diameter bullet and force it through a 0.358" sizer die, the bullet comes out 0.358", but there isn't any lead cut off piling up around the die. It's like a Palydough Fun Factory.

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
Old 04-15-2012, 21:56   #66
Colorado4Wheel

Just like when you use a FCD.

Yep. I said it.
Old 04-15-2012, 22:06   #67
freakshow10mm
10mm Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunred View Post
If you really wanted to do a PSA on Lone Wolf Barrels it should be about the real problem with their barrels.
I'm not concerned with cosmetics, I'm concerned with their chambers and the poor workmanship associated with them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 04-16-2012, 04:27   #68
Colorado4Wheel

I do get a kick out of blaming the barrel and using "internet history" to support it. Just because you have Wi-Fi doesn't mean crap other then you get to complain publicly. Just because your crap doesn't work doesn't mean it's the barrels fault. I would guess that the vast majority of reported problems with LW have nothing to do with the barrel.

Last edited by Colorado4Wheel; 04-16-2012 at 04:28..
Old 04-16-2012, 07:20   #69
Boxerglocker
Jacks #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado4Wheel View Post
I do get a kick out of blaming the barrel and using "internet history" to support it. Just because you have Wi-Fi doesn't mean crap other then you get to complain publicly. Just because your crap doesn't work doesn't mean it's the barrels fault. I would guess that the vast majority of reported problems with LW have nothing to do with the barrel.
I agree with you Steve.... some just don't realize the limitations and think any bullet reloaded can feed into it.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
BLUE Kool-aid drinking team member
Old 04-16-2012, 19:48   #70
man.cave

I wouldn't be so quick to knock LW customer service. They have been great with me. I have bought 3 lw barrels all for my glock 40 cals. no issue. But again I don't shoot lead bullets. Mostly copper plated and jacketed.
Old 04-17-2012, 22:13   #71
dougader

I do know the throats are shorter with the LW barrels. But if I adjust the OAL then I have no problems with lead (or jacketed) bullets. In fact, I run a Beartooth hardcast 265 grain WFNGC in my G21sf with a 6", 4-port LW barrel and have never had a problem.

"In St. Louis, armed Homeland Security agents monitored Tea Party members protesting the IRS. Good idea. When people think their government is out to get them, the best response is to send the government out to get them." -Fred Thompson
Old 04-18-2012, 07:09   #72
Colorado4Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougader View Post
I do know the throats are shorter with the LW barrels. But if I adjust the OAL then I have no problems with lead (or jacketed) bullets. In fact, I run a Beartooth hardcast 265 grain WFNGC in my G21sf with a 6", 4-port LW barrel and have never had a problem.
Shorter then factory or shorter then Storm Lake/KKM.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:22   #73
dougader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado4Wheel View Post
Shorter then factory or shorter then Storm Lake/KKM.
Sorry. Shorter than factory. I have no experience with the Storm Lake barrels.

"In St. Louis, armed Homeland Security agents monitored Tea Party members protesting the IRS. Good idea. When people think their government is out to get them, the best response is to send the government out to get them." -Fred Thompson
Old 04-18-2012, 12:41   #74
Colorado4Wheel

Pretty much all the aftermarket barrels have a shorter throat.
Old 04-18-2012, 13:51   #75
JR
GT Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to JR Send a message via Yahoo to JR
First of all this thread is NOT a PSA. If it was, freakshow would identify his business relationship with LWD by name, thereby establishing accuracy & creditability. I sincerely believe this thread is a direct attack from some disgruntled consumer. The truth of the matter, 99% of barrel issues are self induced.

FYI: Bullet profile and OAL will directly affect the performance of any barrel. LWD barrels are not conducive to use with SWC bullets. Auto pistols will always feed best when using a FMJ or similar profile.

LWD barrels feature chambers that are short (taper) throated. This feature is proven to provide better accuracy. Yes, this feature may create an issue with your pet reload HOWEVER it is YOUR LOAD that is causing the issue. LWD GUARANTEES our barrels to function flawless when using FACTORY ammunition. Try employing a little rocket science before responding to this statement. Think about it.... the barrel accepts factory loads (ie: Remington, Winchester, Federal) but not your load or your local re-manufactures load. This is telling you the issue is with your load. I don't care if your load fits all your other guns and your brothers guns, the issue is with your load.
LWD will rechamber your barrel to fit your loads for $30. If this charge offends you, please tell me where on earth you can get a gunsmith to ream a chamber for cheaper? Yes, LWD formerly rechambered barrels for free however we soon realized the vast majority of rechamber requests were coming from loaders who were to lazy to change their load to fit the match grade chamber. Most barrel (chamber) issues are resolved by simply adjusting the load.

Old 04-18-2012, 14:21   #76
GioaJack
Conifer Jack

I'd say that was actually pretty well said but what do I know since I only have one LW barrel that I don't shoot anymore.

It's not that I have a problem with the barrel, I don't... it's the gun attached to it. Plastic makes me itch.

Jack

A PACIFIST is someone who won't raise their hands to defend themselves...
A COWARD is someone who won't raise their hands to defend someone else.
Old 04-18-2012, 14:27   #77
dkf

Quote:
LWD GUARANTEES our barrels to function flawless when using FACTORY ammunition.
So then why exactly would anyone want your barrel? My factory barrel shoots FMJ already with negligable difference in accuracy compared to your "match grade" barrel.

Your missing the point as to why most of your customer base even buys your barrels, to shoot lead. Most people are under the false impression you can't shoot lead out of a polygonal barrel. With some rounds you can shorten the COAL but on others you get into the ogive of the bullet which screws neck tension.
Old 04-18-2012, 14:37   #78
JR
GT Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to JR Send a message via Yahoo to JR
No, you are missing the point... completely. There are plenty of factory loads using lead bullets. LWD barrels will chamber a factory lead load, factory FMJ, factory plated yada, yada, yada. (factory, factory, factory) FYI: The factory stuff abides by certain parameters (clue)

If your load dont fit, maybe it does not meet the factory parameters?

Old 04-18-2012, 14:40   #79
dkf

So Remington, Winchester, Federal and Speer have plain non jacketed lead loads in say .40 S&W and .357sig? None that I've seen but I'll be waiting for links.

Last edited by dkf; 04-18-2012 at 14:48..
Old 04-18-2012, 14:47   #80
Colorado4Wheel

If someone orders from you directly and sends you some sample ammo, will you cut it to the ammo? Saves on shipping and hassle.

Closed Thread

Tags
38super, glock bulge is a myth, kkm rocks, lwd barrels, match grade glory, who's a democrat?