SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-27-2012, 19:19   #1
Sgt.K
They Just Work!

Should I Open These Mag Packages?

Just wondering if you think there is/will be any collector value to these? Or should I just open them up and use them? Bought them while standing in line at the gun show this weekend. Paid $30 for the pair. BTW they have price tags of $94.12.

Glock Collector's Club

Thanks.
Sgt.K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 19:27   #2
patcrad
Great White Box

What does the baseplate look like (plain with no logo or button hole, or Glock logo) or does it have a manufacture date on the packaging? I would leave them in the package if you plan on re-selling.
patcrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 19:49   #3
Sgt.K
They Just Work!

Base plate has Glock 3206 and the button. Package has no date. Follower is 9mm1.
Old 02-27-2012, 20:15   #4
patcrad
Great White Box

open them and shoot away. they should make great range mags. only use newer mags for personal defense carry as they are more reliable.
Old 02-27-2012, 21:24   #5
samuse

If they're pre-bans, I'd sell 'em for a reasonable market price to someone in a ban state.

I feel the urge to sell everything pre-ban I can find to people in ban states.

Quote:
You suck at...well, everything so far.
samuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 21:58   #6
glockfanbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuse View Post
If they're pre-bans, I'd sell 'em for a reasonable market price to someone in a ban state.

Yep it's usually a win win for both the buyer and seller.
glockfanbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 22:22   #7
Sgt.K
They Just Work!

Thanks for the info, comments and advice. I'm going to keep them for now.
Old 02-28-2012, 17:19   #8
ragged rebel flag

Not to hi-jack the thread, but explain about the bottoms of the mags. What are the differences and what do they mean? Thanks, John
ragged rebel flag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 17:58   #9
Boot Stomper

MORE Pictures, More Pictures!!!!!
Boot Stomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 20:59   #10
IMTHESKI

Quote:
Originally Posted by patcrad View Post
open them and shoot away. they should make great range mags. only use newer mags for personal defense carry as they are more reliable.
What makes these less reliable? I highly doubt a few years makes any difference. I could see it if they were stored in some extreme weather condition and who knows how these were stored. If what you are saying is true, should you buy a new pistol every couple of years for reliability purposes?

If you don't want those mags maybe offer a trade to someone who collects Glock items. It would be cool for the collector with a NIB gen 1 G17!

Last edited by IMTHESKI; 03-02-2012 at 21:02..
IMTHESKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 04:56   #11
Sgt.K
They Just Work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMTHESKI View Post
What makes these less reliable? I highly doubt a few years makes any difference. I could see it if they were stored in some extreme weather condition and who knows how these were stored. If what you are saying is true, should you buy a new pistol every couple of years for reliability purposes?

If you don't want those mags maybe offer a trade to someone who collects Glock items. It would be cool for the collector with a NIB gen 1 G17!
Later mags have a redesigned followers for improved feeding and reliability. Here is a pic of some of the 9mm followers:

Glock Collector's Club

I plan on keeping these, thanks. HTH

Last edited by Sgt.K; 03-03-2012 at 19:27.. Reason: Correct "design flaw" as I don't believe there is or was
Old 03-12-2012, 19:01   #12
IMTHESKI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt.K View Post
Later mags have a redesigned followers for improved feeding and reliability. Here is a pic of some of the 9mm followers:

Glock Collector's Club

I plan on keeping these, thanks. HTH
When I originally read patcrad's post I automatically thought of some sort of unreliability issue due to the polymer deteriorating or something over time. The followers never crossed my mind. Oops. I never have had a single issue with a mag made by Glock. Doesn't mean that problems didn't exist. Just got lucky I presume. It does raise the question of when will they get it right though. Six different followers, wow. Even if a few were for the non metal lined mags(which I have never used) that is still an excessive amount of followers. Like I said I have been lucky and haven't had any issues with any Glock mag. All my problems have been due to ammo, limp wristing or aftermarket springs.

Pretty cool find on the mags though. Wonder if the price tag was placed on there during the up or down swing of the ban pricing. I remember mags going for the $150 range. Those days are thankfully gone. Then mags went for $20! I miss those days. $25 isn't that bad considering the quality of the product. More fun getting 5 per $100.
Old 03-12-2012, 19:17   #13
Sgt.K
They Just Work!

I've never had a Glock mag problem either, IAMTHESKI, even with the NFML/NDF 17's that I have. I hear you about the prices. Thing is I lost a lot of money when the AWB ended because all of my mags were only worth about a 3rd of what I'd paid for them. Glad it is gone though.
Old 03-12-2012, 19:57   #14
patcrad
Great White Box

Quote:
When I originally read patcrad's post I automatically thought of some sort of unreliability issue due to the polymer deteriorating or something over time. The followers never crossed my mind. Oops. I never have had a single issue with a mag made by Glock. Doesn't mean that problems didn't exist. Just got lucky I presume. It does raise the question of when will they get it right though. Six different followers, wow. Even if a few were for the non metal lined mags(which I have never used) that is still an excessive amount of followers. Like I said I have been lucky and haven't had any issues with any Glock mag. All my problems have been due to ammo, limp wristing or aftermarket springs.

Pretty cool find on the mags though. Wonder if the price tag was placed on there during the up or down swing of the ban pricing. I remember mags going for the $150 range. Those days are thankfully gone. Then mags went for $20! I miss those days. $25 isn't that bad considering the quality of the product. More fun getting 5 per $100.
The reliability issue does not result from "deteriorating polymer" or anything related to the mags being "old". Glock has redesigned it's magazines because of known issues as it tweaked it's designs and manufacturing processes. I have been using Glock firearms and magazines extensively since 1990 and I have had issues with certain generations of Glock factory magazines. Glock has been good about fixing those issues and changing it's designs, followers, springs, etc as needed to fix the problems. If you are in a line of work that occasionally places you in dangerous situations, you need 100% confidence in your sidearm. I have no problem shooting old Glock magazines in training or casually on a range. However, if I am at work I will use the most reliable magazines that have been tested and run on multiple occasions as I can not afford a "malfunction". If I am carrying a sidearm for personal protection I use the same philosophy and would not use anything that I did not have the ultimate confidence in. I collect all kinds of "old" gen 1 Glock magazines and occasionally shoot them on weekends at a local range without issue, but I would not have 100% confidence to use them for personal defense.
Old 03-12-2012, 20:20   #15
IMTHESKI

Quote:
Originally Posted by patcrad View Post
The reliability issue does not result from "deteriorating polymer" or anything related to the mags being "old". Glock has redesigned it's magazines because of known issues as it tweaked it's designs and manufacturing processes. I have been using Glock firearms and magazines extensively since 1990 and I have had issues with certain generations of Glock factory magazines. Glock has been good about fixing those issues and changing it's designs, followers, springs, etc as needed to fix the problems. If you are in a line of work that occasionally places you in dangerous situations, you need 100% confidence in your sidearm. I have no problem shooting old Glock magazines in training or casually on a range. However, if I am at work I will use the most reliable magazines that have been tested and run on multiple occasions as I can not afford a "malfunction". If I am carrying a sidearm for personal protection I use the same philosophy and would not use anything that I did not have the ultimate confidence in. I collect all kinds of "old" gen 1 Glock magazines and occasionally shoot them on weekends at a local range without issue, but I would not have 100% confidence to use them for personal defense.
Agreed. Not sure why the deterioration thing came to mind besides I forgot all about the followers. I do have 100% confidence in all of my Glock products. Then again I only CCW them and am not in the same situation such as a police officer or similar professions. Speaking of old mags....for some reason I feel the urge to own some of those completely orange mags.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:41   #16
MakeMineA10mm
Lifetime Membership
300AAC brass

Quote:
Well, really 5, because the 2183s were for the 10-rd limit Clinton magazines.

Also, keep in mind all companies go through this. Look at S&W 3rd Gen. Auto's different-colored followers. Those were upgrades too (just don't ask me to identify the progression of the colors... ).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Looking for: FBI 100yr, Bell Helo, FOP Lodge1, Kiowa Warrior, SCI, and any new/unknown-to-me commemoratives.
MakeMineA10mm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 15:02   #17
robtest

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuse View Post

Now I understand why I see pre-ban's sell for so much on gunbroker... Not being in a ban state, I couldn't understand why someone would ask so much for a magazine...

robtest is offline   Reply With Quote