Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-17-2012, 21:13   #41
flyfishrman

Picked this gun up in a swap today. Can't wait for deer season!Hunting, Fishing & Camping
flyfishrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 00:43   #42
Travclem
Lifetime Membership
Badass Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishrman View Post
Picked this gun up in a swap today. Can't wait for deer season!Hunting, Fishing & Camping
Very cool, let us know how the bisley grip treats ya.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Old 04-18-2012, 11:05   #43
chevy01234

A few more critter-getters

Hunting, Fishing & Camping

chevy01234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:24   #44
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.

Send a message via AIM to nickE10mm Send a message via MSN to nickE10mm Send a message via Yahoo to nickE10mm
Great pics, Chevy! I never take pics of my dillers but I probably should!
10 Ring #1033 - Longslide #1045 - 10mm Loader #1066

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Why do I carry a 10mm?
“Because a 9mm only kills your body… the 10mm kills your soul.”
nickE10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 16:56   #45
chevy01234

I don't take pictures of all of them but every now and then I remember to take a picture! I've killed a ton of them with my little airweight since it is usually in my pocket. Same with the Buckmark, since it's usually in my truck!

chevy01234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 22:16   #46
noway

Quote:
Nice six shooter you have
noway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:22   #47
bustedknee
Curmudgeon

G17

Old 04-20-2012, 21:03   #48
flyfishrman

Quote:
Originally Posted by noway View Post
Nice six shooter you have
Many thanks. Not a reloader, so I'm in full research mode to find the right loads for deer season. Thinking Buffalo Bore hard cast. Any suggestions are welcome.
Old 04-23-2012, 22:21   #49
noway

Quote:
Many thanks. Not a reloader, so I'm in full research mode to find the right loads for deer season. Thinking Buffalo Bore hard cast. Any suggestions are welcome.
BB hardcast might be a little bot overkill for deer and pricey imho. Doubletap makes a 255gr cats option at about 8-10dollars less than BB iirc.

A deer does not take alot to kill it imho.
Old 04-24-2012, 19:34   #50
flyfishrman

Quote:
Originally Posted by noway View Post
BB hardcast might be a little bot overkill for deer and pricey imho. Doubletap makes a 255gr cats option at about 8-10dollars less than BB iirc.

A deer does not take alot to kill it imho.
Thanks noway. I'll be looking into those. I tend to be the king of overkill so I appreciate the advice. Any experience with the Hornady or Winchester commercially available loads?
Old 04-25-2012, 11:32   #51
noway

Quote:
Thanks noway. I'll be looking into those. I tend to be the king of overkill so I appreciate the advice. Any experience with the Hornady or Winchester commercially available loads?
Hate to say but no. Every thing that I killed in the last 20years with handguns have been corbon or recently handloads in 45 or 44magnum. Canyon has his preference and advice and you might want to see/hera his input.

For the big bore or anything bigger than .429 The new trend is to get handloads or use a cast lead over copper jacket or solid copper.

I'm doing the hardcast for now to death and have no intentions of going back to a jacketed hp for hunting outside of the .429 XTP bullets in my muzzleloaders.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:12   #52
Cwlongshot

I am currently building a G20 for hunting/survival/wilderness.

But I have long relied upon my Ruger Bisley 45Colt. Before that a 14" Contender 357Herrett. My first was a 8" Colt Whitetailer that I still own. As a small game getter a Ruger MkIII w/ Lupy 2x.

CW
Cwlongshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 12:35   #53
jwhite75
Gubmint Worker

Anybody use any of the loads from Grizzly Cartridge?
Old 04-26-2012, 15:44   #54
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Quote:

Hey flyfishrman

Noway sorta dropped my name in the pot on post 51, I think it was... Don't know that I can help ya. But I take it you do not reload. I use 98/99% Hard Cast bullets for "everything", Period. But I do like XTP's in 2nd place. They have always given very good penetration and are a tuff bullet.

I hand load all my stuff with Hard Cast Bullets Period. I will use an XTP every now and again for a specific purpose, but as I said I would say 99% Hard Cast is all I shoot.

Since your not a hand loader, I will try to help ya with some factory stuff for up to deer size.

To Make this simple.. BB bullets are more than you need for your deer, "unless" you have really been shooting thousands of rounds and shoot most every day, and at long range.

Why do I say this? Because if your planning on longer range shots, the Hard Cast Bullet is the only way to go, and will give you down range 'bone busting penetration' over the JHP's.

Out to 100yds a Heavy XTP is fine. XTP's are good. I like heavy for caliber in what ever I shoot, so if your buying commercial ammo, I would go with the heaviest XTP Hornady offers for the caliber of that good looking hog leg you got there amigo. To be honest, for deer, even the 240gr is fine for ya .

It does not take much to kill a deer with good placement. I just use the Hard Cast because I grew up using them on the ranch since I was a tad pole, and because I have more penetration capibility out at longer range with a HC bullet than I will get from a JHP. Also if I take a shot at an oblique angle the HC plows through non stop. I am NOT talking about un-ethical careless shots, but shot that are more oblique that I know my HC bullet will still get through to plenty of vitals and smash bone in the process.

No need for me to give you "load data," here for the HC bullets since you do not yet hand load.. (you do need to though man ! )

But again pard, out to 100yds a Heavy for the caliber you have there (i did not catch what it was 44/45) XTP factory load will work fine for 'deer', no worries and you'll be good to go out of that length barrel especially. (and in 44mag even the 240gr XTP as I said is plenty).

Well I just looked at Hornady's site and they do not have a dang thing for a 45LC That I would 'even' reccomend. For the 44mag you can use their 240gr/300gr XTP.

Any walmart 44mag 240gr bullet will kill deer dead as a brick, so if this is what your shooting, (44mag) buy a box of WW 240gr Flat nose soft points at WM, and rest assured they will work just fine.

If that is a 45LC you have there, then even a 225gr WW Silvertip out of your barrel length will give you at least 1,000fps and that is still plenty good for deer at the ranges most folks shoot. BB is truly waaaay to much Horse power for deer, but use it if you want to, it ain't going to hurt a thing but the Buck !

You not being a Hand Loader, I am just tossing options out to you..

Bottom line" For "ME", If I were going to use factory ammo for deer out of a hog leg like yours and it is a 44mag... Anything walmart has will be plenty good enough, i truly assure you, OR the 240/300gr Hornady factory XTP will be more than enough as well.

If that is a 45LC, then I'd go with the WW silvertip and at your velocity, you'll be fine, and if ya don't like that, I guess BB would be next on the list. I just am not that familiar with all the other factory offerings since I never really use them. BB, and Hornady, and WW 240gr soft point.. Their all good untill you start hand loading. Your not hunting moose, HA, so these will work fine for ya Pard.

Hope this helps !

Good hunting.
You too Noway..

CM

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Jesus said: You who are without sin cast the first stone.. John 8: 7

Last edited by CanyonMan; 04-26-2012 at 21:50..
CanyonMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:45   #55
ithaca_deerslayer

.44mag

7-30waters

Last edited by ithaca_deerslayer; 05-02-2012 at 12:45..
ithaca_deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote