Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Closed Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 14:50   #81
F106 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR View Post
FYI: Bullet profile and OAL will directly affect the performance of any barrel. LWD barrels are not conducive to use with SWC bullets. Auto pistols will always feed best when using a FMJ or similar profile.
Sir,

This is regrettable. The only reason I would replace my G21SF barrel is to shoot lead and I primarily shoot LSWC in .45 ACP. They feed fine in all my stock 1911s and I kind of like the big hole they punch in the target.

I'm not good enough as a shooter to actually shoot pistol bullseye but, if I did, I would be shooting 185 gr jacketed SWC. But again, a SWC design...

But these bullet choices are just the ones I have made. Others will choose differently.

Quote:

LWD barrels feature chambers that are short (taper) throated. This feature is proven to provide better accuracy. LWD formerly rechambered barrels for free however we soon realized the vast majority of rechamber requests were coming from loaders who were to lazy to change their load to fit the match grade chamber. Most barrel (chamber) issues are resolved by simply adjusting the load.
In terms of .45 ACP, I would think that all match shooters would be using 185 gr jacketed SWC. Perhaps that's not true today but it sure used to be. The tighter chamber may help accuracy but to require RN FMJ seems problematic.

And, no, I don't have a better answer. I don't even have a dog in this hunt because I have never thought of the Glock as a competitive target pistol. Action pistol? Sure! Bullseye? Not so much... In my view...

Richard

Last edited by F106 Fan; 04-18-2012 at 14:51..
Old 04-18-2012, 14:53   #82
Bluescot

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf View Post
So then why exactly would anyone want your barrel? My factory barrel shoots FMJ already with negligable difference in accuracy compared to your "match grade" barrel.

Your missing the point as to why most of your customer base even buys your barrels, to shoot lead. Most people are under the false impression you can't shoot lead out of a polygonal barrel. With some rounds you can shorten the COAL but on others you get into the ogive of the bullet which screws neck tension.

Bingo.

If you didn't want to shoot lead, a guy would stick with the Glock factory barrel and go on his way.

Also not all reloaders are able to duplicate the factory specs of the factory ammo. Simple. There are ways to do so and can require more equipment to augment their current set up and some guys may not want to buy those pieces or may not be aware of them.

Another solution: REALLY SIMPLE accommodate the needs of your customer base by not producing a short tight chamber. I know that many will say that the accuracy will go away but for the average guy I would deem it negligible and know that many would disagree with me. I'm guessing that the reason that LWD started charging for correcting their chambers was due to the volume of product coming back at them.

Why not produce a product that will have the type of grooves that the lead shooters want in a chamber that meets most of their reloading expertise as long as it doesn't exceed max SAMMI??? Again Simple but maybe the plant in Taiwan is not capable of this change??? I dunno.

I'll never buy another LWD product.
Old 04-18-2012, 14:56   #83
Colorado4Wheel

It's not exactly difficult to make the ammo he is discussing. It's rather simple. Just use a good sizer (Lee springs to mind), a OAL the barrel likes and crimp it properly. That is pretty much it.
Old 04-18-2012, 14:56   #84
dkf

Quote:
FYI: The factory stuff abides by certain parameters (clue)

If your load dont fit, maybe it does not meet the factory parameter?
I go by SAAMI specs. Enlighten me on these "factory specs". If you didn't notice there is also a range (tolerence) in the SAAMI specs and recommended reloading data most commonly falls within that spec.
Old 04-18-2012, 15:05   #85
JR
GT Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to JR Send a message via Yahoo to JR
Yes you can send us your ammo and we will ream the chamber to fit however the vast majority of loaders already reproduce loads that have no issue. If there is an issue it is usually directly related to bullet profile, OAL or a swelled case. All of these issues can easily be resolved with a simple adjustment to your reloading process.

I have a few LWD barrel customers that have successfully modified their barrels to accept SWC loads. Problem is, these barrels now lack the full support. The best comprise I am aware of is to use a Truncated Cone profile. This profile seems to run flawless and punch a visible hole without the issues discussed here.

Let me quote all the factory specs you can handle. Drop a factory round in the chamber. Notice it fits! Now make your load fit the same way.

LWD supplies more Glock barrels than ALL THE OTHER AFTERMARKET MFG'S COMBINED. Less than 1% barrel purchasers have an issue. If you have an issue, see the sentence directly above this statement.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 04-18-2012, 15:15   #86
WiskyT
Malcontent

Quote:
First of all this thread is NOT a PSA. If it was, freakshow would identify his business relationship with LWD by name, thereby establishing accuracy & creditability. I sincerely believe this thread is a direct attack from some disgruntled consumer. The truth of the matter, 99% of barrel issues are self induced.

FYI: Bullet profile and OAL will directly affect the performance of any barrel. LWD barrels are not conducive to use with SWC bullets. Auto pistols will always feed best when using a FMJ or similar profile.

LWD barrels feature chambers that are short (taper) throated. This feature is proven to provide better accuracy. Yes, this feature may create an issue with your pet reload HOWEVER it is YOUR LOAD that is causing the issue. LWD GUARANTEES our barrels to function flawless when using FACTORY ammunition. Try employing a little rocket science before responding to this statement. Think about it.... the barrel accepts factory loads (ie: Remington, Winchester, Federal) but not your load or your local re-manufactures load. This is telling you the issue is with your load. I don't care if your load fits all your other guns and your brothers guns, the issue is with your load.
LWD will rechamber your barrel to fit your loads for $30. If this charge offends you, please tell me where on earth you can get a gunsmith to ream a chamber for cheaper? Yes, LWD formerly rechambered barrels for free however we soon realized the vast majority of rechamber requests were coming from loaders who were to lazy to change their load to fit the match grade chamber. Most barrel (chamber) issues are resolved by simply adjusting the load.
I could see JR being a little peeved aT Freak, but I don't understand his contempt for the people that buy his products. I guess he doesn't have a problem with me because I haven't sent him any of my money and I never will.

Anybody that takes a barrel out of a gun that is made by a multi-million dollar, multi-national company with all the R&D etc that goes with that and switches it out for one made by a guy like this deserves any grief they get.

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
Old 04-18-2012, 15:23   #87
JR
GT Sponsor

Wow, I simply dont see where I deserved that? You quoted multi million dollar company will not allow reloads or lead loads through their gun. LWD makes it happen.

We have over a MILLION satisfied customers. Here is another one

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 04-18-2012, 15:33   #88
dkf

Quote:
You quoted multi million dollar company will not allow reloads or lead loads through their gun.
It is the gun companies warrenty requirements. Thats about it. Basically a determination made by a lawyer.

Last edited by dkf; 04-18-2012 at 15:35..
Old 04-18-2012, 15:41   #89
Colorado4Wheel

JR, you should really consider the process you guys use on the barrels. Perhaps a "non-match" chamber for those that want one a little looser. Perhaps not as loose as factory but not as tight as KKM/LW/SL tends to run. Our pistols really don't benefit much from such a short throat and tight chamber. My understanding of CS is that if 1% complain 10X more actually had the problem and didn't complain. That would explain some of the venom you see in threads like this. I think the problem is more then what you might think. I personally owned a barrel that worked fine for me but the friend I sold it to just could not get it to work. He never contacted you, just had a local guy ream it. I know it wasn't your fault but at the same time he surely saw ZERO benefit from that "match chamber". Just the opposite. Only difference between his and mine was a Lee die for sizing.
Old 04-18-2012, 16:11   #90
JR
GT Sponsor

I don't know what to say Steve? As you clearly pointed out, the issue your friend had was clearly a reloading (sizing) issue. Easily overcome if you ask me.
We offer custom reaming service for those that are not willing to adjust their loads. We just stopped doing the reams for free. EVERY other barrel manufacture charges for mods. They charge more for the barrel and more for the mod? What gives?

BTW: (1) I am not peeved at anybody. (2) Our barrels are not made in Taiwan.

Last edited by JR; 04-18-2012 at 16:17.. Reason: BTW add
Old 04-18-2012, 16:33   #91
F106 Fan

I have read that it might not be a good idea to shoot lead in a Glock barrel. I have also read that Glocks won't feed SWC bullets. Heck, I read a lot of things... No, I don't read the National Enquirer.

Next time I am at the range I'm going to see if any of that is true. I think my LSWC will feed just fine. I don't know about the leading part of the deal but I'm willing to try. If I can get 300 rounds down range without fouling the barrel too much, I'll be happy.

Richard
Old 04-18-2012, 16:40   #92
Fuerte
Cigar?

I have owned several LWD barrels. No issues at all. I think they are awesome.
Old 04-18-2012, 18:47   #93
shotgunred
reloading nut

I have three lone wolf barrels and don't have a problem with the barrels themselves. But for the love of god has anyone ever said they don't detest horrendous wolf logo.
The only good thing about it is the black buffs off easily.

Quote:
JR, you should really consider the process you guys use on the barrels. Perhaps a "non-match" chamber for those that want one a little looser. Perhaps not as loose as factory but not as tight as KKM/LW/SL tends to run. Our pistols really don't benefit much from such a short throat and tight chamber.
I know that if I could choose between a "match barrel" and one to Glocks specifications that was good for lead I certainly would choose the looser chambered barrel.

Quote:
I have read that it might not be a good idea to shoot lead in a Glock barrel. I have also read that Glocks won't feed SWC bullets. Heck, I read a lot of things... No, I don't read the National Enquirer.
My G23 certainly doesn't like to chamber SWC's. I haven't tried them in any of the others. Conical-Nose bullets make a perfectly good hole in cardboard.
and motivated by pride and vanity.

Last edited by shotgunred; 04-18-2012 at 18:49..
Old 04-18-2012, 18:50   #94
Colorado4Wheel

Quote:
I don't know what to say Steve? As you clearly pointed out, the issue your friend had was clearly a reloading (sizing) issue. Easily overcome if you ask me.
We offer custom reaming service for those that are not willing to adjust their loads. We just stopped doing the reams for free. EVERY other barrel manufacture charges for mods. They charge more for the barrel and more for the mod? What gives?

BTW: (1) I am not peeved at anybody. (2) Our barrels are not made in Taiwan.
If it has to be perfect to work then some
people just won't be able to make the cut. Simple as that.

Last edited by Colorado4Wheel; 04-18-2012 at 18:51..
Old 04-18-2012, 20:28   #95
Bluescot

I could be all wrong but it just seems to me that if

you're getting a lot of customer complaints (not necessarily in a video format, although, check out Utube for some blasts against LWD) then a prudent business man would look to see what is the basis for the problems.

If it's quality control, change the quality. If it's under performing in the minds of the customers, disclose the limitations of your product before hand rather than debate the "rightness" of your position after the sale has been made. If you are getting a lot of complaints about your customer service department, monitor it and staff it with different people/personalities.

The other alternative is to blame the very people that you rely on for their business, maybe even repeat business, and word of mouth referrals and tell your customers that they are incompetent.

Seems like this is the one the LWD has chosen as their mission statement. Just my own opinion, but I like it.
Old 04-18-2012, 21:15   #96
JR
GT Sponsor

I chalk it up to the 80/20 rule even though our sales reflect far better than that (more like 95/5). LWD is the uncontested aftermarket barrel providers of this industry.
Factory ammo fits and functions flawless, we guarantee it.
If your favorite load has an issue we will modify the chamber because I cant convince you the issue is with your load, not the barrel chamber.
I cant do any more than that.

Here is another web link posted by a reloading genius: http://rhk111firearmsblog.wordpress....els-for-glock/ take a second to read his comments and tell me what is wrong.... the load or the barrel. My comment was the last in line and I simply directed him to our FAQ section.

Old 04-18-2012, 21:23   #97
Colorado4Wheel

You clearly don't care. Done again I would buy Storm Lake and recommend the same. Or a KKM which is what I traded up to for my personal gun.
Old 04-18-2012, 21:49   #98
JR
GT Sponsor

You are clearly wrong. I care. I care enough to try and explane what the real issues are. I am truly amazed (a few of) you guys think otherwise?

Maybe we could compromise? Factory ammo fits the LWD chamber and your reload does not. Lets all join together and get the factory to change their loads! This way LWD will change their chambers to fit the new factory loads (and your reloads too).

Have a great night, I sorta enjoyed the conversation.

Last edited by JR; 04-18-2012 at 21:50..
Old 04-18-2012, 22:15   #99
Colorado4Wheel

Reloads are NOT factory ammo. I get my reloads to factory specs but it's not easy. I also case gauge my ammo. My ammo works. But it's clear to me and most others that you know very little about reloading and what reloaders want. Most people don't want to hunt for the just the right die to make the ammo work. The want it to work with off the shelf Dillon stuff. Your tight barrel usually will not. You can shoot out "but factory ammo works" all you want but a good portion don't ever buy factory ammo. They want it to work with the reloads made with common equipment. The irony of it all is that you came here to defend your product and basically made the OP's point for him.
Old 04-18-2012, 23:34   #100
El_Ron1
AAAAAAAAGHHH!!!

Quote:
First I've heard of any issues with LWD barrels.

Reloading

Closed Thread

Tags
38super, glock bulge is a myth, kkm rocks, lwd barrels, match grade glory, who's a democrat?