Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Closed Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 10:08   #121
Boxerglocker
Jacks #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado4Wheel View Post
So I went to SAMMI now that I am in front of a real computer. 9mm is .3555 and they don't give any data for Lead in 9mm or .40. .357 has unique data for Lead and Jacketed. That is what JR doesn't get. People want his aftermarket barrel to work it Lead in those Glock calibers but he doesn't account for it.

http://www.saami.org/specifications_...wnload/205.pdf
I agree and he advertises LWD barrels as an alternative to be used FOR lead, so what gives?
One other thing I was waiting to ask JR was he recommended using a case gauge mentioning the pros/cons of the Dillon and EGW. My loads fit both loaded out to 1.169 SAMMI max yet not the LWD. WTF?!
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
BLUE Kool-aid drinking team member
Old 04-20-2012, 10:20   #122
Colorado4Wheel

EGW has a throat cut to min specs. Dillon does not. So you can't use the Dillon as a OAL gauge. BUT, EGW is made to min spec and if it fits the gauge it should fit a properly made barrel.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:35   #123
GioaJack
Conifer Jack

Thompson Center's warranty is unique in the industry, most notably in their line of black powder rifles.

Warrantying against damage from reloads is actually a small part of their warranty/customer service since they warranty against literally everything except loss or theft, including obvious owner mishaps such as running over your gun with your truck and crushing your stock, shooting out a barrel or simply screwing up a barrel with a cleaning rod.

Over the last couple decades I've shot out 3 barrels to the point of severe accuracy degradation and they've replaced all three with no questions asked.

They also offer, (or at least used to) competition grade barrels, quick load barrels for hunting, etc. Pretty much demonstrates that barrels, (and other parts) are designed and bought for specific purposes and intended to be used for those purposes.

If you bought a Smith model 52 and discovered that no matter how hard you tried to couldn't develop a 158 grain SWC load that would feed would you say the barrel was defective? If you bought a Colt Gold Cup would you claim the barrel was defective because the chamber was much tighter than you were used to or that the throat on your new CZ is so short that you can't use the same loads you use in your Glock or other guns? No, of course not, that's why the barrels are designed the way they are, to meet a certain purpose.

If you want a barrel to shoot lead out of your Glock, (assuming that it's necessary), you have choices among several different barrel manufacturers at different price points. If you want a barrel that's magically going to change the design geometry of a gun to feed a bullet profile it wasn't intended to feed, well, that's probably not going to happen.

Jack

A PACIFIST is someone who won't raise their hands to defend themselves...
A COWARD is someone who won't raise their hands to defend someone else.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:40   #124
Boxerglocker
Jacks #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado4Wheel View Post
EGW has a throat cut to min specs. Dillon does not. So you can't use the Dillon as a OAL gauge. BUT, EGW is made to min spec and if it fits the gauge it should fit a properly made barrel.
Exactly my point.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:41   #125
Colorado4Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxerglocker View Post
Exactly my point.
I realize that. But you mentioned the Dillon and it simply is not designed to check issues with the throat. Wanted to be sure others understood that.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:05   #126
Bluescot

Apparently JR is the owner of Lone Wolf and it would be interesting to hear from him if the Glock chambers in the LW barrels are minimum SAAMI specs, maximum SAAMI specs or somewhere in between.

Also it would be interesting for some guys to know where the barrels are being made as many of them are into buying USA products.

Things seem quiet of JR's end but with around 2200 views on this thread I think there are some potential sales moving to other vendors. JMHO
Old 04-20-2012, 11:38   #127
Boxerglocker
Jacks #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluescot View Post
Apparently JR is the owner of Lone Wolf and it would be interesting to hear from him if the Glock chambers in the LW barrels are minimum SAAMI specs, maximum SAAMI specs or somewhere in between.

Also it would be interesting for some guys to know where the barrels are being made as many of them are into buying USA products.

Things seem quiet of JR's end but with around 2200 views on this thread I think there are some potential sales moving to other vendors. JMHO
He's been looking I caught his profile yesterday that he was viewing this thread.
&
Old 04-20-2012, 11:44   #128
Colorado4Wheel

I would hope this thread makes him think a little about his product. He has developed a great niche for himself but this is one area that he has a great opportunity IMHO. Lot's of people are not wanting the tighter chamber that all these aftermarket barrel have. I think it's pretty fair to say LW is even tighter then the rest (but that is anecdotal and based on the amount of barrels he sells may be skewed a bit because he sells so many). Either way. People who own Glocks want to shoot lead and reloads. They don't always want a tight as crap chamber in the process. I know I don't and I have owned two of these barrels for my G34.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:07   #129
Archer-one

Bluescot:
in all fairness; that Hickcock video really doesn't prove anything, as far what supposedly is the reason for this post. In that video; Hickcock clearly was trying to point out how great his G21 was in "stock form". The ammo he fed the LWD barrel was basically some "lowe-grade" loads, that he admitted to the fact that he "didn't sort his brass" and that basically he knew that they were pretty crumby; even though he had seated the bullet deeper to circumvent any chambering issues.

What he didn't mention was anything about power factor or anything about how many rounds he had through the barrel to designate where it was at in the whole seating process. Then when he has a string of shots that fail to return to full battery; he switches out to a stock, OEM barrel and then FACTORY, WWB loads...that (surprise) run flawlessly! LOL. He does mention that (referring to LWD barrels) "they usually run just fine"...and that he guesses that he "has to do some more experimenting". Also in his closing statement he mentions how a stock, OEM Glock...using "factory loads" functions flawlessly; wrapping up the whole point of his post.

And also; these types of threads do not ever seem to accomplish what is "supposedly" the objective behind them. They only lead to a mob mentality; whipped to a frenzy by someone with an ulterior motive. JR has been quiet on this post; probably because he is tired of being brow beat by a couple of parrots who claim that they just want a LWD barrel to THEIR specs. You draw a lot more flies with honey rather than vinegar; or however the old saying goes.
How many company CEO's even engage in threads of this sort? Or even publicly address the consumer; for that matter? I would count it as a major positive that a head of a company takes the time to interact socially with his customers and is willing to take the time to listen to viable concerns or suggestions. If you would just approach things in a more constructive manner; your "needs" might actually get addressed!

If that is not good enough and you HATE LWD barrels; fine! Buy a different barrel; but I highly doubt that you will be 100% satisfied, anymore than you are now...and will probably continue to have "issues" that you are upset over.

And for the OP; who claims that he was a LWD dealer for a period of time and then stopped dealing with us due to "customer" complaints...I would hardly claim ordering three barrels and a slide between 2008-2009; as being a "dealer"...but that is another thing all together and I'll leave it at that.

For anyone else that has a specific load that they would like their barrel tailored too; just give us a call! Yes it is a $30 charge; but this is only for the "shop time" it takes to make it so. Like what was mentioned previously; if you are a re-loader and want to make sure that your particular load will feed flawlessly and want to avoid any headaches, it's not a bad idea to just send in a handful of dummy rounds before you place your order and be done with it.

I am more than happy to help anyone with their order or answer any questions; just give me a call at the shop!
Luke J: 208-448-0600, ext: 111
Old 04-20-2012, 12:13   #130
F106 Fan

Quote:

Why not just measure the chamber? All it takes is some Cerrosafe and a decent micrometer and set of calipers:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=3...-CASTING-ALLOY

Then you KNOW what you have instead of relying on Internet gossip.

Richard
Old 04-20-2012, 12:16   #131
sellersm
disciplinare

Fine, so don't answer legitimate questions (like mine about defining 'factory')... Thanks for your time to tell us to quit complaining and come buy your product. There have been a few legit questions to you that are still unanswered: which spec do you manufacture to (yes, again, SAAMI is a range)? How do you define 'factory'?

I'm not complaining, btw, my LWD 9mm barrel and comp work fine. Thank you!

Prosecute criminals, not guns!
Old 04-20-2012, 12:19   #132
Archer-one

sellersm: I will make sure that JR is aware of your question and has a chance to answer.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:31   #133
F106 Fan

I thought the Hickok45 video was a little off the track as well. I really expected to see him shoot lead in both barrels and was looking forward to the results.

However, he has said before that he is not going to shoot lead in Glock barrels and, sure enough, he didn't.

It would have been a more balanced demo if he had shot the same bullets in both barrels. I wouldn't care which he chose to shoot but whatever was selected should be shot in both barrels. So, dubious reloads don't work in the LWD barrel while factory loads work in a Glock barrel. So what does that prove?

I would be very interested to see someone measure the LWD and the Glock chambers and compare them with SAAMI.

The fact that SAAMI doesn't intend to accomodate lead bullets (0.001" larger diameter than FMJ) should give some indication that even if the chamber meets the spec EXACTLY, the lead bullets may not work (I haven't actually worked through the numbers). Then you get into the issue of on what basis can a barrel manufacturer decide to arbitrarily change away from a published and industry standard spec. Sure, Glock can do it; they're huge.

I wonder how some of these reloads would function in other guns. Maybe a Sig P220 or Sig 1911 in the case of .45 ACP. I KNOW that my reloads work.

Richard
Old 04-20-2012, 12:44   #134
freakshow10mm
10mm Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer-one View Post
And also; these types of threads do not ever seem to accomplish what is "supposedly" the objective behind them. They only lead to a mob mentality; whipped to a frenzy by someone with an ulterior motive.
No that was not the intent. The intent was to inform.

Quote:
If that is not good enough and you HATE LWD barrels; fine! Buy a different barrel; but I highly doubt that you will be 100% satisfied, anymore than you are now...and will probably continue to have "issues" that you are upset over.
As I stated previously, I never had an issue with my LWD .45 ACP G30 threaded barrel, nor my KKM .45 ACP G30 barrel, nor my KKM 45-10mm conversion barrel. I haven't had issues with either of the three personally owned barrels from two different manufacturers, your company's included.

Quote:
And for the OP; who claims that he was a LWD dealer for a period of time and then stopped dealing with us due to "customer" complaints...I would hardly claim ordering three barrels and a slide between 2008-2009; as being a "dealer"...but that is another thing all together and I'll leave it at that.
I bought a few things directly from LWD, but soon found a distributor that had your barrels for cheaper than you offered dealer direct, so I went through them instead of LWD. I stopped ordering from LWD due to price. I stopped dealing LWD barrels due to customer complaints. "Ordering from" and "dealing in" are two completely different things.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:52   #135
Colorado4Wheel

Quote:
And also; these types of threads do not ever seem to accomplish what is "supposedly" the objective behind them. They only lead to a mob mentality; whipped to a frenzy by someone with an ulterior motive. JR has been quiet on this post; probably because he is tired of being brow beat by a couple of parrots who claim that they just want a LWD barrel to THEIR specs. You draw a lot more flies with honey rather than vinegar; or however the old saying goes.
How many company CEO's even engage in threads of this sort? Or even publicly address the consumer; for that matter? I would count it as a major positive that a head of a company takes the time to interact socially with his customers and is willing to take the time to listen to viable concerns or suggestions. If you would just approach things in a more constructive manner; your "needs" might actually get addressed!
We are merely suggesting the LWD philosophy for designing the barrel to minimum chamber specs DOES NOT meet the needs of the Glock Reloading Market. His insistence that "my stuff works with factory" highlights the point that he does not understand this portion of the aftermarket glock barrel market (reloaders). The fact that SAMMI does not have a LEAD standard proves that designing to MIN spec can easily cause problems even with well made ammo. Lead is .001" larger then FMJ. Most Glock guns are not designed around calibers with a LEAD spec from SAMMI. LW markets to lead shooters.

Quote:
The standard groove and land rifling make this an excellent choice for those who wish to shoot lead, plated or jacketed bullets.
http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.a...272598&CAT=238

So the barrel is designed to SAMMI spec, but SAMMI doesn't have a lead spec for most the calibers. It's no wonder the barrels have issues.

I think the above are fair statements. They have not been addressed at all by you or JR.
Old 04-20-2012, 13:35   #136
SJ 40

Quote:

From his replies earlier in the thread if I wanted a aftermarket barrel,I certainly would look to another source for one. SJ 40
Old 04-20-2012, 14:41   #137
Bluescot

Archer-one

Sounds like you are an employee of Lone Wolf so your defense of their products is understandable.

I disagree with most of your recent posts. No big deal no HATE as you mentioned, but interesting that you would make that jump so quickly. Sounds a little or a lot defensive, but that's just my impression.

I think that the Hickock45 video does prove something. Needless to say that he has probably shot and reloaded more than most on this board. I have watched his videos and he does have a lot of experience with a lot of brands of pistols and revolvers. If he has struggles with your barrel and I think that it gets up to 5 shots out of 10 shot clip, with his background in reloading and also after being aware of the need to shorten his OAL, then it's not a far stretch to see how Joe Reloader would also struggle. I know that I don't shoot as many times nor as well as he does and probably not come close to reloading as much as his does. But that video of your barrel chocking on his reloads does say something to many of the regular reloaders that make up you client potential base. No HATE there just the fact.

These threads start out as informative or questioning or asking for someone else's experience with a product or a problem. They can get heated when the importer's response is "You can't reload worth a crap". Accompanied with a corporate statement of "The customer is always wrong". I guess many of us are not use to getting the treatment like the above.

I don't HATE Lone Wolf barrels, just disappointed in the marketing, warranty, customer service, and quality control of your barrels. Wait a second.......that's a long list, isn't it??? Just disappointment and not a returning customer. After the call to the customer service desk and the sweet response given to me, I did follow your advice and ordered two barrels from KKM which should be here soon. No issues to continue with the disappointment as they are a different company.

It's interesting that you would disclose the business activity of the OPwith your company in a public forum, even to try and discredit him. Not too high on confidentiality huh?

As Colorado4Wheel stated I just think that Lone Wolf is failing to meet the expectations of the Glock owners that come to your company for a replacement barrel when most of them are doing so to shoot lead reloads. This apparently is a difficult paradigm shift for your company so my guess is that you will always struggle in this area.

No HATE just wishing you the best in your business struggles.
Old 04-20-2012, 17:16   #138
Archer-one

Yes; as I stated before, I am an employee of LWD. And my responses were not meant to attack or offend anyone. So I apologize if I did so; I was out of line by even getting involved in this thread and was not authorized to post in any official capacity as an employee of Lone Wolf Distributors. JR is well aware of this thread and will respond to any questions when he sees fit to do so.

That being said; anyone is more than welcome to come shake my hand in person at any of the Industry events, or gun shows we attend (I am at most of them). Words spoken in person go over a whole lot better and farther than through a keyboard.
Old 04-20-2012, 22:06   #139
freakshow10mm
10mm Advocate

If I ever get back to SHOT show, I'll stop by your booth again. I was there at SHOT 2010 to check out the AR lowers in person. Having two children 5yo and younger limits my travel time.

Old 04-21-2012, 11:51   #140
sellersm
disciplinare

Quote:
That being said; anyone is more than welcome to come shake my hand in person at any of the Industry events, or gun shows we attend (I am at most of them). Words spoken in person go over a whole lot better and farther than through a keyboard.
Now isn't that the truth!! I always have trouble understanding what's written, I'd much rather just hear it!

Thanks for the invite... And as Freakshow said, kids can sometimes limit the travel arrangements ("Daddy, why can't we just spend the day in the pool?")!

Prosecute criminals, not guns!

Closed Thread

Tags
38super, glock bulge is a myth, kkm rocks, lwd barrels, match grade glory, who's a democrat?