Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-19-2012, 05:21   #26
Bren
NRA Life Member

Without reading this thread, a shoulder holster or cross-draw holster is easiest to use while seated in a car. An ankle holster also works and I do know a guy who shot a guy with the gun in his ankle holster because his car seat blocked him from drawing the one on his hip (which will happen if you have to duck down below the dash for cover, since that puts you on top of a gun worn on your strong side).

Last edited by Bren; 04-19-2012 at 05:22..
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 13:20   #27
jack76590

After thinking about this issue I decided on a dedicated "vehicle gun" which I take out of vehicle at night. If I park in bad area or anywhere at night I put vehicle gun in some type of case and take with me.

But generally leave in vehicle, when parked and lock doors. Some people will say you can have your gun stolen. True but for decades I have often made stops, esp at grocery stores on the way home from the range, with many unloaded guns and ammo in the trunk. Yes a bit harder to break into trunk and would have to load guns, but really not much different.

I do think vehicle gun should be well concealed, as visible gun would certainly make your vehicle a target. I presently put steel J frame in compartment under center armrest.
jack76590 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 13:46   #28
mingaa

I drive a Mitsu Eclipse GT-a car that you sort of pour yourself into. I also carry IWB appendix. Im cautious of outer garments, often removing them and adjust my shirt if needed for access to my gun. I'm fortunate that the seatbelt clasp and the belt configuration are conveniently placed allowing me easy access to draw. Fortunately things fall easily into place in my car sounds like you have some challenges. If I were jammed up some of the suggestions are certainly good ones.

Concerning stopping before drawing-that may sound good on paper but I'm in the 'every situation is unique' school and I've made sure that I can draw with confidence and control while moving.

Concerning racking a round and using the steering wheel-the answer is one in the chamber. Period. IMHO, of course. Do/die as you wish. "oh did I say that out loud?!"

Last edited by mingaa; 04-19-2012 at 13:49..
mingaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 15:47   #29
Blackshirt

Since you have no idea if you will be able to completely resolve a situation while seated in your car, you should continue to use the best all-around rig you can find. If the seatbelt gets in the way of presenting your weapon, you must develop a technique that includes unbuckling your seatbelt. Once you figure this technique out, you must practice it sufficiently to commit it to muscle-memory. Once you have your piece in-hand, conventional shooting techniques will be difficult to execute, so you must experiment with improvised techniques such as off-hand shooting or contact shots. Most important is recognizing when it is safe to break contact and get away from the problem...
Old 04-21-2012, 17:44   #30
Jake Starr

Quote:
Concerning racking a round and using the steering wheel-the answer is one in the chamber. Period. IMHO, of course. Do/die as you wish. "oh did I say that out loud?!"

The Christian faith is in no way pacifistic.
Jake Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 20:38   #31
mlanush

Send a message via AIM to mlanush Send a message via Yahoo to mlanush
instead of taking advice from "sea Lawyers" I would seek professional training and/or find videos and books written by professionals, I sure you could go on the ask the professionals on this forum and get a better answer........

Btw,

It is possible to cleanly draw your weapon from a 4'o clock IWb holster concealed with the seatbelt on.... (the israelis have a very simple method, look up the lotar method...)

I recently took some training and we worked on drawing from a seated position in a car ; by no means am i a xpert so i will refraim from trying to explain...

Also, remember training DVD's do not take the place of seeing the instructor in person in a training class

George S. Patton
SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!!
mlanush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:56   #32
Jake Starr

Quote:
It is possible to cleanly draw your weapon from a 4'o clock IWb holster concealed with the seatbelt on.... (the israelis have a very simple method, look up the lotar method...)
It is indeed possible. I too just took a training class with some former IDF Spec Ops guys and this was part of the training...can be done and was done in just a few seconds... even from C3 firing one handed through the passenger side window, then exiting the vehicle with a mag change and engaging a second threat target.

The Christian faith is in no way pacifistic.
Jake Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 19:03   #33
FFR Spyder GT
Ex-Gunslinger

BigAl,

You posted " I wondered how difficult it would be to pull from my crossbreed holster at the 4 o'clock position"

Couple of tips.........

1.) Get rid of the crossbreed holster.

2.) Stop carrying at 4 o'clock.

3.) Practice your draw with your EDC pistol and holster while seated in your car. More than one car? Practice with all of them.

One of the ranges in my area has this situation in one of their IPDA stages.

Spyder
FFR Spyder GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:37   #34
pspez

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringerTGO View Post
If anyone is lacking reading comprehension skills, you should look in the mirror.
He asked about drawing a weapon while seated in his vehicle...... not for a lesson in martial arts, strategy, or philosophy.
pspez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:49   #35
mlanush

Send a message via AIM to mlanush Send a message via Yahoo to mlanush
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFR Spyder GT View Post
BigAl,

You posted " I wondered how difficult it would be to pull from my crossbreed holster at the 4 o'clock position"

Couple of tips.........

1.) Get rid of the crossbreed holster.

2.) Stop carrying at 4 o'clock.

3.) Practice your draw with your EDC pistol and holster while seated in your car. More than one car? Practice with all of them.

One of the ranges in my area has this situation in one of their IPDA stages.

Spyder
I agree with 1 and 3 but 2 that is bunch of hog-wash

why tell someone to stop carrying there concealed where they find it comfortable, I carry mine 4-430 and have NO issues drawing from CONCEALMENT in the car, that was after lots of practice and taking a class by a professional on how it can be done........

George S. Patton
SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!!
mlanush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 14:34   #36
Misty02

Does this help any?

The only place where my carry mode yields better results than that of my sons is in the vehicle. Depending on what they are carrying it would be your traditional 4 o’clock, ankle or pocket. I carry mostly in a fanny-pack; the movements involved in the draw are nearly unnoticeable to someone observing from the outside. Additionally, I can have a full grip without the pistol being fully exposed. They’ve tried my method, like it, but won’t go as far as using a fanny-pack to carry in the vehicle. Not a problem as lost as they maintain the firearm on their person and it goes with them (without a second thought) if they have to quickly exit the vehicle or it overturns.

Whichever method(s) you use, practice them as much as you can.

Good luck finding what works best for you.

"In making tactical dispositions, the highest pitch you can attain is to conceal them." - Sun Tzu

Outpost Member #69
Misty02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 14:41   #37
Misty02

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlanush View Post
instead of taking advice from "sea Lawyers" I would seek professional training and/or find videos and books written by professionals, I sure you could go on the ask the professionals on this forum and get a better answer........

Btw,

I recently took some training and we worked on drawing from a seated position in a car ; by no means am i a xpert so i will refraim from trying to explain...

Also, remember training DVD's do not take the place of seeing the instructor in person in a training class
I too have done it during training classes, in spite that not being the way I carry. I’m not as efficient since it is not something I practice often, but if I can do it, anyone can.

"In making tactical dispositions, the highest pitch you can attain is to conceal them." - Sun Tzu

Outpost Member #69
Misty02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 16:19   #38
JAMROCK
Working Member

This might help you.

Tactics and Training

See review and pics here.
JAMROCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 17:53   #39
barth
six barrels

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl at GT View Post
There is bridge construction near my home. I pulled up to a temporary red light with concrete barriers on each side. There was a guy in front of me in a convertible car. He was carrying on about something, waving his arms and yelling. The light changed, he pulled away, nothing happened. When I pulled in to my driveway, I wondered how difficult it would be to pull from my crossbreed holster at the 4 o'clock position, while in bucket seat, with a seatbelt on... So I unloaded the gun and gave it a try. It's damn near impossible to do gracefully or quickly. Any tips on how to do this successfully?
I carry cross draw.
Usually pull my shirt up and expose the grip so I can easily
draw and fire if a carjacking or whatever suddenly unfolds.
barth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:46   #40
HK Dan

Shoot some IDPA. You'll discover new ways to deal with this using the gear you have, or discover new gear!
Old 05-24-2012, 08:44   #41
Matthew Courtney
CLM Number 285
Instructor #298

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc Angel View Post
Know what? I forgot to mention something about keeping your car windows rolled up and your car doors locked! First thing I do when I get inside a car is lock the doors and make sure the windows are all up. These things don't get opened for anyone. I've thought a lot about this, too. I've decided that, if I have to, I'll die where I'm sitting; but the windows stay closed, and the doors remain locked.

And here I thought I was the only one!

Yeah, appendix carry is a big change for me too; but I like it - Especially in the car. After reading the after-action reports (debriefings) on the FBI's, 'Miami Gunfight' I'm convinced, more than ever, that your pistol should remain on your person for as long as the vehicle is moving.

Yes, that is very true. Not everyone has an obsessive-compulsive trigger finger in the same way that I do; but, still, I'm going to keep your remarks well in mind. (I usually carry in C-3 anyway!)

No, I've learned not to do that. The console holster might work, though. I, once, heard of a guy who got the drop on a rabid hitchhiker he'd picked up by secreting a small pistol under his thigh before he stopped to pick the fellow up. The moral? Don't pick up hitchhikers.

I'm most comfortable and feel more secure when I have direct control of the gun. Whatever happens to my body, the gun goes with me. I was, once, losing consciousness during an ambulance ride. Afraid that I'd pass out and endanger someone, I told the ambulance nurse that I was carrying a gun. She asked me where; I told her; she frisked me, and missed the piece. She went on to tell me, 'Just relax, Sir, you're hallucinating.' 'You don't have any gun!' So, trying to be helpful, I reached behind my back and pulled out the gun - A beautiful little Armoloy-finished German Walther with a Behlert trigger job.

Well, the woman freaked! She began screaming, 'Oh my God, he's got a gun!' 'There's a gun in my ambulance!' So I put it back in the holster, and dutifully passed out until we got to the hospital. When it was time to unload me. A good looking white-haired man in a suit came over to the gurney. He asked me where the gun was. He immediately found it, took it out, and whistled! Then he dropped the magazine, jacked the slide, and caught the ejected round in his support hand. I was impressed! I winked at him and said, 'You've been practicing!'

He replied that he was a retired police detective and had been looking for a German Walther for the past several years. I told him that if I lived, it wasn't for sale; if I didn't, he could talk to the widow. He smiled and replied, 'I promise you I'll take good care of this.' 'When you're ready to leave the hospital come and see me.' As things turned out I got to leave the hospital; and he did, indeed, take very good care of my little Walther.

That tailgating incident I related? Interstate Route 80, eastbound, in the vicinity of Stroudsburg, PA.

The only problem with a crossdraw is that the rest of the time, when you're not sitting inside a vehicle, it presents your gun's butt to a potential adversary.
I carry two, one on each side. The cross draw pistol is my primary when I am seated, while the one carried on my strong side hip is my primary when I am standing. After I get into my car, before I buckle up, I shift the cross draw forward to 10:30-11:00, where it is accessible. After I unbuckle, before I exit the car, I shift the crossdraw back to 8:30 where it is accessible to me in a calvary style draw, but not to anybody else. Belt loops on some pants had to be moved.

Vest carry, ankle holsters, and shoulder holsters are also alternative carry techniques frequently used by those in the executive protection field who drive while working.

www.louisianashooters.com
Matthew Courtney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:46   #42
Cherokee Slim

"The only problem with a crossdraw is that the rest of the time, when you're not sitting inside a vehicle, it presents your gun's butt to a potential adversary."

For decades Tennessee's Troopers carried in a cross-draw. I never did understand why and no trainer could ever explain it. It was easier to draw if you were in the car, but once you got out the butt was presented to the BG all the time. It was common for me to carry a High Standard DA derringer in my pocket so that I could slide the holster back to my left rear hip when we would raid a honkey tonk or something. I never lost mine but was in several fights trying to keep somebody from getting another Trooper's gun. I liked having the gun behind me when anything physical was happening just to protect myself.
Cherokee Slim
Cherokee Slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:24   #43
Matthew Courtney
CLM Number 285
Instructor #298

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherokee Slim View Post
"The only problem with a crossdraw is that the rest of the time, when you're not sitting inside a vehicle, it presents your gun's butt to a potential adversary."

For decades Tennessee's Troopers carried in a cross-draw. I never did understand why and no trainer could ever explain it. It was easier to draw if you were in the car, but once you got out the butt was presented to the BG all the time. It was common for me to carry a High Standard DA derringer in my pocket so that I could slide the holster back to my left rear hip when we would raid a honkey tonk or something. I never lost mine but was in several fights trying to keep somebody from getting another Trooper's gun. I liked having the gun behind me when anything physical was happening just to protect myself.
Cherokee Slim
Why would you expect a trainer to be able to explain a policy? Policies are determined by legislative bodies and/or administrators and those are who you should go to to have someone explain policy rational. Most trainers simply teach people techniques that will help impliment policies. If the policies are good policies that are conducive to survival, the techniques will likely be good techniques conducive to survival. The inverse is true as well. If a technique is executed as planned, credit the trainer. If it is a crappy technique that gets you killed, have your heirs sue the policy makers, only to include the trainers to the extent that they determined the policy.

Does anyone actually believe that policy on what to teach in most firearms courses is set by the trainers who are working with them?

www.louisianashooters.com
Matthew Courtney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 13:14   #44
FFR Spyder GT
Ex-Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlanush View Post
I agree with 1 and 3 but 2 that is bunch of hog-wash

why tell someone to stop carrying there concealed where they find it comfortable, I carry mine 4-430 and have NO issues drawing from CONCEALMENT in the car, that was after lots of practice and taking a class by a professional on how it can be done........
mlanush,

Get a timer like the ones they used at IDPA matches and time your draw from 4-4:30 and from 3:00 or 2:30.

Myself, I'm about .1 seconds faster at 2:30 than I am at 3:00 and another .1 seconds faster than from 4:00.

Same with 3:00 compared to 4-4:30, about .1 seconds faster from the beep to 1st round on target.

Plus you might want to find a new "professional".

Spyder

Last edited by FFR Spyder GT; 05-25-2012 at 13:15..
FFR Spyder GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 18:03   #45
mjkeat

I took a "fighting from a vehicle" class on the 19th. The instructor mentioned he removes his seat belt every time he enters a parking lot, driveway, etc.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
mjkeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 18:28   #46
concretefuzzynuts
Brew Crew

This has probably been said, but I remove my weapon from the holster or pocket and tuck the muzzle under my right thigh. The grip is positioned in a natural position for me to grab if needed. When I exit the vehicle I re-holster it. Simple.
GTDS Member #7
GOTOD Member #757
Snub Club Member #757
NRA Member
concretefuzzynuts is offline   Reply With Quote