GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2012, 19:18   #1
gringogigante
Senior Member
 
gringogigante's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Richardson, TX
Posts: 194
Question about gun sellers/FFL's

I was told that with an FFL, you must have all guns purchased from suppliers shipped to the address of your business that is on file with the ATF.

But i was curious the legality of selling the guns offsite(by selling, I mean that they actually transfer the money to you and you transfer the gun to them after they fill out the proper form). If I have the guns shipped to my house (I don't want to have a store front), can I then have the buyer pick them up at my office or wherever we meet. I plan to sell to friends, family, and students (I'm a firearms instructor) only with no advertising....word of mouth only.

This would also apply to gun shows, I guess. I'm assuming that since an FFL can sell guns off-site (a gun show in this case), then I can too.

Any of you FFL's have any thoughts?
__________________
Chris McCollum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
- North Texas CHL HQ

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

CHL class Dallas, TX
CHL class Plano, TX
gringogigante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 21:05   #2
dbyer1
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Trenton GA
Posts: 84
No you an only sell at the place the lic is issued for gun shows are exempt but only certain ones
dbyer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:02   #3
dbyer1
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Trenton GA
Posts: 84
Oh left this out with a ffl you can buy guns any where in the u.s. you want or from any one you want. If i am 300 miles from home and have a copy of my ffl with me and the seller will sell to me I can buy the gun and take with me no 4473 and no waiting period no nothing hand them my money walk out with gun
dbyer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:34   #4
Mongosafari
El diablo verde
 
Mongosafari's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: currently stationed in Maine
Posts: 508
The address on the FFL is your place of business. There is the within your state gun show exception but it must be a bonafide gun show.

If the majority of your 4473/records show off site transfers you will raise the attention of the ATF. I mean the dealer business requirements set forth by ATF when you apply for the license. In the application you will state your daily business hours.

Quote: "... legality of selling the guns offsite(by selling, I mean that they actually transfer the money to you and you transfer the gun to them after they fill out the proper form). If I have the guns shipped to my house (I don't want to have a store front), can I then have the buyer pick them up at my office or wherever we meet..."
No, that is not in accordance with FFL protocall. If you are honest and state this from the begining in the application/interview process; I'm confident you will be denied an 01 Dealer in Firearms other than destructive devices license. If your caught later doing "that" you may not like the consequences.

I don't work for ATF but I have an 01 FFL (home business) and I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night....
__________________
“Politicians and diapers both need to be changed regularly and for the same reason.”

Last edited by Mongosafari; 04-22-2012 at 08:38..
Mongosafari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:27   #5
dbyer1
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Trenton GA
Posts: 84
They will not let you just do buisness at gun shows, I have been to no gun shows but if you look at it from a small dealer point of view they are not worth it, example hotel for a night 100, figure 2nights, table fee 75 dollars, electrical hook up 20 dollars, so you are at 3 bills and have not sold any thing average mark up 13% so you have to sell 3000 dollars worth of guns to break even, how much inventory do you have, to make it worth it you need to take 10 grand of inventory to make it worth the trip, and sell every bit of it
dbyer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 11:21   #6
gringogigante
Senior Member
 
gringogigante's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Richardson, TX
Posts: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongosafari View Post
The address on the FFL is your place of business. There is the within your state gun show exception but it must be a bonafide gun show.

If the majority of your 4473/records show off site transfers you will raise the attention of the ATF. I mean the dealer business requirements set forth by ATF when you apply for the license. In the application you will state your daily business hours.

Quote: "... legality of selling the guns offsite(by selling, I mean that they actually transfer the money to you and you transfer the gun to them after they fill out the proper form). If I have the guns shipped to my house (I don't want to have a store front), can I then have the buyer pick them up at my office or wherever we meet..."
No, that is not in accordance with FFL protocall. If you are honest and state this from the begining in the application/interview process; I'm confident you will be denied an 01 Dealer in Firearms other than destructive devices license. If your caught later doing "that" you may not like the consequences.

I don't work for ATF but I have an 01 FFL (home business) and I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night....
That's cool. I definitely won't be doing that then!
__________________
Chris McCollum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
- North Texas CHL HQ

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

CHL class Dallas, TX
CHL class Plano, TX
gringogigante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 11:22   #7
gringogigante
Senior Member
 
gringogigante's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Richardson, TX
Posts: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbyer1 View Post
Oh left this out with a ffl you can buy guns any where in the u.s. you want or from any one you want. If i am 300 miles from home and have a copy of my ffl with me and the seller will sell to me I can buy the gun and take with me no 4473 and no waiting period no nothing hand them my money walk out with gun
Holy smoke! That is so cool! What are your experiences buying used guns? That seems to be a good way to make some money.
__________________
Chris McCollum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
- North Texas CHL HQ

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

CHL class Dallas, TX
CHL class Plano, TX
gringogigante is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:39.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 710
160 Members
550 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 16:42