Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-19-2012, 19:18   #1
gringogigante

Question about gun sellers/FFL's

I was told that with an FFL, you must have all guns purchased from suppliers shipped to the address of your business that is on file with the ATF.

But i was curious the legality of selling the guns offsite(by selling, I mean that they actually transfer the money to you and you transfer the gun to them after they fill out the proper form). If I have the guns shipped to my house (I don't want to have a store front), can I then have the buyer pick them up at my office or wherever we meet. I plan to sell to friends, family, and students (I'm a firearms instructor) only with no advertising....word of mouth only.

This would also apply to gun shows, I guess. I'm assuming that since an FFL can sell guns off-site (a gun show in this case), then I can too.

Any of you FFL's have any thoughts?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
- North Texas CHL HQ

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

CHL class Dallas, TX
CHL class Plano, TX
gringogigante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 21:05   #2
dbyer1

No you an only sell at the place the lic is issued for gun shows are exempt but only certain ones
dbyer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:02   #3
dbyer1

Oh left this out with a ffl you can buy guns any where in the u.s. you want or from any one you want. If i am 300 miles from home and have a copy of my ffl with me and the seller will sell to me I can buy the gun and take with me no 4473 and no waiting period no nothing hand them my money walk out with gun
Old 04-22-2012, 08:34   #4
Mongosafari
El diablo verde

The address on the FFL is your place of business. There is the within your state gun show exception but it must be a bonafide gun show.

If the majority of your 4473/records show off site transfers you will raise the attention of the ATF. I mean the dealer business requirements set forth by ATF when you apply for the license. In the application you will state your daily business hours.

Quote: "... legality of selling the guns offsite(by selling, I mean that they actually transfer the money to you and you transfer the gun to them after they fill out the proper form). If I have the guns shipped to my house (I don't want to have a store front), can I then have the buyer pick them up at my office or wherever we meet..."
No, that is not in accordance with FFL protocall. If you are honest and state this from the begining in the application/interview process; I'm confident you will be denied an 01 Dealer in Firearms other than destructive devices license. If your caught later doing "that" you may not like the consequences.

I don't work for ATF but I have an 01 FFL (home business) and I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night....

Last edited by Mongosafari; 04-22-2012 at 08:38..
Mongosafari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:27   #5
dbyer1

They will not let you just do buisness at gun shows, I have been to no gun shows but if you look at it from a small dealer point of view they are not worth it, example hotel for a night 100, figure 2nights, table fee 75 dollars, electrical hook up 20 dollars, so you are at 3 bills and have not sold any thing average mark up 13% so you have to sell 3000 dollars worth of guns to break even, how much inventory do you have, to make it worth it you need to take 10 grand of inventory to make it worth the trip, and sell every bit of it
Old 04-22-2012, 11:21   #6
gringogigante

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongosafari View Post
The address on the FFL is your place of business. There is the within your state gun show exception but it must be a bonafide gun show.

If the majority of your 4473/records show off site transfers you will raise the attention of the ATF. I mean the dealer business requirements set forth by ATF when you apply for the license. In the application you will state your daily business hours.

Quote: "... legality of selling the guns offsite(by selling, I mean that they actually transfer the money to you and you transfer the gun to them after they fill out the proper form). If I have the guns shipped to my house (I don't want to have a store front), can I then have the buyer pick them up at my office or wherever we meet..."
No, that is not in accordance with FFL protocall. If you are honest and state this from the begining in the application/interview process; I'm confident you will be denied an 01 Dealer in Firearms other than destructive devices license. If your caught later doing "that" you may not like the consequences.

I don't work for ATF but I have an 01 FFL (home business) and I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night....
That's cool. I definitely won't be doing that then!

- North Texas CHL HQ

CHL class Dallas, TX
CHL class Plano, TX
Old 04-22-2012, 11:22   #7
gringogigante

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbyer1 View Post
Oh left this out with a ffl you can buy guns any where in the u.s. you want or from any one you want. If i am 300 miles from home and have a copy of my ffl with me and the seller will sell to me I can buy the gun and take with me no 4473 and no waiting period no nothing hand them my money walk out with gun
Holy smoke! That is so cool! What are your experiences buying used guns? That seems to be a good way to make some money.

- North Texas CHL HQ

CHL class Dallas, TX
CHL class Plano, TX