Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-20-2012, 19:32   #41
Titurel
Brick Eater

I have both and prefer the Ruger, but it is a close call and depends on the type of usage it will see. The Ruger is extremely durable but rather crude. The first thing you should do with a new Ruger Mklll is get about 1k rounds of bulk cheap ammo and fire them into the dirt as fast as you can, not even worrying about any jams or other problems. Only after this little break in session (and thorough cleaning) should the gun be considered ready to go to the range.

The factory trigger pull is too heavy. This is easily fixed with aftermarket parts, but due to the long linkage there is always a fair amount of jiggle in the trigger mechanism. You can get a pretty nice trigger break, but the sloppiness as you take up the slack is not pleasing. The best way to fix this problem is to get a S&W41.

I shoot the Mklll a lot and so I clean it a lot. To me the take down system of the Ruger is its biggest advantage. Yes you have to pay attention and if you don't do it for 3 months you'll probably forget and need to refresh your memory before proceeding. Mostly you need to understand mechanically why the parts have to go together in a certain way, then it is much easier to get it right. And even then, you will probably need to smash it with a mallet sometimes. But the very fact that you can do that with absolutely no harm to the pistol is itself a testimony to the ruggedness of the Ruger. They are built to last for a few lifetimes (except the plastic grip panels which are quite fragile and should be replaced)

The Buckmark is pretty much the opposite of all these things. It is not crude at all, but neither does it have the ruggedness of the Ruger. The trigger is ok out of the box, certainly better than the Ruger factory, but not better than what you can make the Ruger into and there is no way of improving the Buckmark.

The Buckmark is easier to disassemble, but in fact it is too easy. The gun is held together by screws and lock washers - a terrible way to design a gun. If you need to frequently take it apart for cleaning then these threaded fasteners will invariably begin to lose their grip and you start needing Loctite just to keep the gun together.

The Browning is probably a better choice for someone who is not doing a very high volume of shooting and who has no particular interest in tinkering with the pistol. Shoot a few magazines then brush off the bolt face and run a bore snake down the barrel. The Ruger is more suited to someone who shoots bricks at a time, doesn't mind getting under the hood to fix things up and will regularly run patches of JB paste down the bore with a cleaning rod.
ACOG4X32JN8:12
Titurel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:41   #42
Camu Mahubah
9=Fine

Interesting post Titurel...made me stop and think a bit...while I disagree with you on a few things...you have completely changed my mind in one aspect...

THE AMOUNT OF SHOOTING TO BE DONE. Tit's you have gotten it right. The Buckmark simply will not withstand the amount of shooting the Ruger will without replacing parts.

Take the Ruger down and you will see it is meant to be...take the Buckmark down and you will see that you could have gotten a Beretta Neos and been just as happy for a few hundred less.

Among the things Tit's discussed I disagree on several...but I kinda see his points but he one thing I will publicly disagree with is the trigger...yah the standark MKIII trigger might not be as good as the Buck(I heart the buckmark) but I bought a target model MKIII for a bit more cash...but boy does it have a fine trigger...it is as good as any stock 1911 I have ever fired.

So get the Target Ruger MK III and and a non-marking punch. You prolly have everythang else already. I wouldn't kick a Buckmark outta bed but if I could only have one it would be the Mark III Target. Skip the 22/45. The standard MK III Target feels like an old friend everytime I pick it up. 41 ounces FTW
BRC#109
Camu Mahubah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 11:14   #43
LA_357SIG
Milspectacular

Just to show the ease of disassembly of the Buckmark.

Last edited by LA_357SIG; 04-22-2012 at 11:15..
LA_357SIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 18:57   #44
jay-bird
goin' broke

I have a Mark iii target.
I love it. Love.
Comes with high viz sights and five replacements.
jay-bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 22:27   #45
BigBearCarolina

Buck Mark.

Rimfire Forum

Glock G23,G27,...to be continued.
BigBearCarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:23   #46
Rick O'Shay

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoghunter82 View Post
I know this question gets asked more than any other. I've had the Neos and did not like it. The 22A is too much like the Neos for me. I just simply cannot decide between the Buck Mark or Ruger. No advantage to either on shooting, both do nicely on the range. Biggest thing now is I can actually find a Ruger where as the Buck Mark locally is like a unicorn. When all is said and done, I am a reliability guy. Nothing drives me more insane than a gun that has issues. I will be shooting the blue box Federal Champion 525 stuff exclusively since I got thousands of rounds of this stuff, so if anyone had issues with either on of these firearms with that ammo please let me know. I am not going out and buying fancy CCI ammo to fit the gun. The gun needs to eat Federal Champion 525 like candy. Anyone got any experience? Thanks

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
I have recently owned both, but prefer my High Standards.
All three are very high quality pistols, and it's hard to go wrong with either one.
Rick O'Shay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 17:03   #47
SDGlock23
Glockoholic

Buckmark.

I've had my "camper" model since 1998 and it's seen thousands of rounds, many many boxes of bulk ammo. I works perfectly, with the exception of the occasional bad round since I shoot 99.999% cheap bulk ammo. I put a Tactical Solutions barrel on it and it too has been flawless.

The gun is scary accurate, even with cheapo ammo. I couldn't more highly recommend the Buckmark.

(I don't usually use the thingy on the end...but a suppressor would work mighty nicely...)
Rimfire Forum

Last edited by SDGlock23; 04-25-2012 at 17:05..
SDGlock23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 17:27   #48
dkf

I prefer the Buckmark myself. Like the bolt/slide setup better as well as the overall ergonomics. Plus no gigantic LCI.

Last edited by dkf; 04-25-2012 at 17:30..
dkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 17:18   #49
Jason D
Silver Membership
INFRINGED!

I had the MKIII out last week for a shooting session, but after nearly getting shot by some dbag. I gave up do be having the jitters.

I did get to run it through it's paces this morning though.
Today makes it close to the 1500 round count and 1000 without a gun induced malfunction. Nor an ammo malfunction for that matter. That's good considering she was a problem child before it was tricked out.

Alexander Hamilton, author of Federalist No. 1. 10/27/1787
Jason D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 18:25   #50
Titurel
Brick Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason D View Post
I had the MKIII out last week for a shooting session, but after nearly getting shot by some dbag. I gave up do be having the jitters.
That really sucks. I have had this happen a few times, the most serious ones have been by the totally clueless girlfriends brought to the range by their moron boyfriends on a date. I feel the range officer supervision (or lack thereof) was to blame for this and now I go to a place that is very strict and controlled, at least for my indoor shooting.
ACOG4X32JN8:12
Titurel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 18:46   #51
guncats

I'd try to hunt down an older model (pre-2000) buckmark. The newer slide is not as robust as the old stuff.

Buckmark has better factory trigger ( plus you can flip a spring and get it down to 2.5LB), the take down is easier.

If you shoot a lot and eventually wear out a barrel ( I guess that will be at least 50,000rd)..... the replacement barrel's are $60 a piece....
guncats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 20:41   #52
cpolk

Flip a coin. Both are excellent and make great suppressor hosts.
Old 04-27-2012, 04:54   #53
Tom Towns

I've had about a half dozen MK's over the years. The one I now have is the MK 3 stainless target model that I bought for squirrel hunting & informal target shooting...it's super accurate with a couple different types of ammo...for a walking plinker, my next is gonna be the Ruger SR 22.

Rimfire Forum
Tom Towns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:18   #54
GSSF17
...2 of 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by guncats View Post
I'd try to hunt down an older model (pre-2000) buckmark. The newer slide is not as robust as the old stuff.

Buckmark has better factory trigger ( plus you can flip a spring and get it down to 2.5LB), the take down is easier.

If you shoot a lot and eventually wear out a barrel ( I guess that will be at least 50,000rd)..... the replacement barrel's are $60 a piece....
True, true, and true. I bought my Buckmark in 1996, and 15 k rounds later, it is literally perfect. The Heggis flip makes the trigger amazing. I will NEVER get rid of it.
-Rimfire Club#1097 -Florida Glockers Club#1097 -Black Rifle Club #1097 -Certified Glock Armorer

RIP John Noveske- 1976 - 2013
GSSF17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 16:33   #55
Jason D
Silver Membership
INFRINGED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titurel View Post
That really sucks. I have had this happen a few times, the most serious ones have been by the totally clueless girlfriends brought to the range by their moron boyfriends on a date. I feel the range officer supervision (or lack thereof) was to blame for this and now I go to a place that is very strict and controlled, at least for my indoor shooting.
It was a kid that just bought his first gun.
I suppose I should have taken the time to help him out instead of making him leave. I was pretty angry though.

This is a private club that pretty much takes anyone's money. There is no supervision whatsoever.

Alexander Hamilton, author of Federalist No. 1. 10/27/1787
Jason D is offline   Reply With Quote