Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-23-2012, 02:40   #1
hammerkill

My dog has chronic bronchitis

The Vet has her on Hydrocodeine syrup after trying everything in the book. They can control it but not cure it. I am up at 4 am listening to her hack. It sounds worse than before. I am taking her to the vets as soon as they open. The hydro is $75 a bottle and I don't think it works all that good. My question is , Has anyone else had a dog with similar problems?
hammerkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 03:24   #2
Dyno

hammerkill ,
I have had problems when a Vet was just treating symptoms and not trying to get to the real problem with my dog. Your best bet is to try a new Vet not in the same office as current Vet.
Ask around for a recommendation for a good vet and get a good second opinion. I think this approach will serve you and your dog much better that just buying more meds @ $75 a bottle to treat the symptoms.

Good Luck , Dyno
Dyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 15:47   #3
Kayaker

My dog's odd reaction

I have two adorable Corgis, a two year old and her five year old mother. We have had them for two years almost. I guess I taught them to come upstairs to my bedroom when I go up there in the evening; giving them a little snack as a reward.

They love it and then trot downstairs to sleep. Last week it was warmer than usual as I was reading up there, so I put on the ceiling fan; first time in ages. It was not night time, but the dogs came up and apparently the little one noticed the fan and it freaked her out. She now will not come all the way up the stairs, looking with apprehension at the stopped fan. Her mother is not bothered at all, but even goodies do not bring her past the landing.

I am assuming that the blades of the fan look like the wings of a large predator bird, and she will not approach. She never did this before she saw them moving, and this is my only guess as to her fear. Ancestral giant condors?
Kayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 22:53   #4
jprj

Send a message via Yahoo to jprj

My vet once told me that medicine for dogs are just the same with humans. Only they need stronger dose. Normally you just have to double it.
jprj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 14:18   #5
vetmedglock30

"My vet once told me that medicine for dogs are just the same with humans. Only they need stronger dose. Normally you just have to double it" This is horrible advice. Their ability to metabolize drugs are different. Some human drugs are used in dogs. Other drugs are toxic.
vetmedglock30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 14:21   #6
vetmedglock30

If you want to PM me I can go into more detail. What work up has been done. Has x-rays, blood work and a Transtracheal Wash been done? Has there been a history of allergies, smoke inhalation (ie dose anyone smoke in the house) or infections?
vetmedglock30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:04   #7
FL Airedale
Dog Breath

That prescription syrup sounds mighty expensive to me. My first wife was taking Hydrocodone syrup when she was ill and it was a really cheap generic.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:40   #8
hammerkill

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetmedglock30 View Post
If you want to PM me I can go into more detail. What work up has been done. Has x-rays, blood work and a Transtracheal Wash been done? Has there been a history of allergies, smoke inhalation (ie dose anyone smoke in the house) or infections?

No smoke not sure of allergies, this is the second vet. At least they are trying unlike the first vet. She is on baytril for week, been on it before, tried cortizone and some others. tamiril and torbitrol for cough. Dog is also diabetic taking 2 shots of insulin a day. She is going blind and hard of hearing but is still lively. The hydro syrup is the generic kind.

Last edited by hammerkill; 03-28-2012 at 10:40.. Reason: can't spell
hammerkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 11:30   #9
ArmoryDoc
Need a haircut

Have you tried a Benadryl tab in a soft treat ? Might check it's toxicity first.

Last edited by ArmoryDoc; 03-30-2012 at 11:30..
ArmoryDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 18:56   #10
Walt_NC

A co-workers MWD once had bronchitis. The vets best guess was that it had something to do with inhaling moon dust, and that paved the way for a viral infection.

1) I don't know anything about Hydrocodone other than that it is a narcotic pain killer. Does it have an anti-inflammatory?
2) Did your vet prescribe an antibiotic? From what I understand, secondary bacterial infections are pretty common with bronchitis.

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmoryDoc View Post
Have you tried a Benadryl tab in a soft treat ? Might check it's toxicity first.
We gave our dogs Benadryl all the time - mostly for skin rashes and allergies. We gave them a half-dose of what you would normally give humans. Seemed to help. There were no negative long term side effects that we saw, but it can make them a little loopy/drowsy for a bit.

/Not a vet, just a handler.

Last edited by Walt_NC; 04-02-2012 at 18:59..
Walt_NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 16:20   #11
dkbrucedvm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt_NC View Post
1) I don't know anything about Hydrocodone other than that it is a narcotic pain killer. Does it have an anti-inflammatory?
Hydrocodone is used in coughing to decrease the cough reflex. It has no anti-inflammatory properties (that I know of), nor can it treat any causes of coughing - just decreases the cough.

To the OP - VetMedGlock30 is going in the right direction. Dogs cough for a reason. If the cough hasn't resolved in a reasonable amount of time, you (and your veterinarian) need to look harder for the underlying cause. Some are benign, but some are not. Offhand, I can't think of many cases where hydrocodone wouldn't do more harm than good.
"I urge you to beware the temptation of pride -- the temptation of blithely declaring yourselves above it all and label both sides equally at fault, to ignore the facts of history and the aggressive impulses of an evil empire..." - Ronald Regan
dkbrucedvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:35   #12
Bill Keith

I had a Mixed breed that coughed quite a bit, and he died after a few years of it. Turns out it was congestive heart failure
Bill Keith is offline   Reply With Quote