Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Closed Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 17:29   #161
Archer-one

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakshow10mm View Post
If I ever get back to SHOT show, I'll stop by your booth again. I was there at SHOT 2010 to check out the AR lowers in person. Having two children 5yo and younger limits my travel time.

Sounds like a plan! I'm pictured in my avatar...and besides that; I'm the only bald-headed dwarf, as wide as I am tall in our booth...I'm hard to miss! LOL. So come say hi.
Old 04-24-2012, 17:33   #162
Archer-one

Quote:
Originally Posted by sellersm View Post
Now isn't that the truth!! I always have trouble understanding what's written, I'd much rather just hear it!

Thanks for the invite... And as Freakshow said, kids can sometimes limit the travel arrangements ("Daddy, why can't we just spend the day in the pool?")!
Anytime sellersm; I think that JR has me giving out free hugs at the next show...! HA!
Old 04-26-2012, 07:07   #163
Tom Towns

Well, it looks to me like

I won't be ordering a LWD barrel for my G20.

I have absolutely no desire for a "minimum spec" MATCH chamber that has problems with cast bullets. I'm also a little put off by the attitude displayed by the owner & his employee. Not mad, but a little put off...I've been reloading for over 45 years & generally go the extra steps to ensure my reloads are not only within specs. but exceed the quality standards of most, if not ALL factory loaded ammo...especially when it's going to be used in a semi auto...I'd hazard a guess, that most reloaders do likewise...ymmv.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:18   #164
Bluescot

Tom

I would suggest that you call KKM and talk to them and see if their products are a match for what you are looking for in an aftermarket barrel.

Before and during the order that I placed with them I talked to two different guys at their shop and came away impressed with the courteous and professional manner in which they answered my searching questions about their barrels. They offered suggestions to me and all in all it was a first class experience and their barrels are functioning with my reloads. Quite a difference from the previous importer that I bought two barrels from.

Good luck to you in your search.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:24   #165
Colorado4Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Towns View Post
I won't be ordering a LWD barrel for my G20.

I have absolutely no desire for a "minimum spec" MATCH chamber that has problems with cast bullets. I'm also a little put off by the attitude displayed by the owner & his employee. Not mad, but a little put off...I've been reloading for over 45 years & generally go the extra steps to ensure my reloads are not only within specs. but exceed the quality standards of most, if not ALL factory loaded ammo...especially when it's going to be used in a semi auto...I'd hazard a guess, that most reloaders do likewise...ymmv.
KKM is a match barrel. It is my opinion that LW has pretty broad tolerances compared to KKM. With KKM you know it will be tight but not too tight. He is very proud of his barrels. They are not just mass produced items.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:21   #166
Bluescot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado4Wheel View Post
KKM is a match barrel. It is my opinion that LW has pretty broad tolerances compared to KKM. With KKM you know it will be tight but not too tight. He is very proud of his barrels. They are not just mass produced items.

I agree with you Colorado but, as mentioned by me in this thread, when I did a side by side test of a Lone Wolf Barrel and a KKM barrel I found that that KKM would chamber rounds that the Lone Wolf chocked on. Now that is obviously just a non scientific test of only two barrels and they could be all over the board spec wise.

That being said, I still wonder why, from a pure marketing point, that someone doesn't offer a barrel for Glock shooters that want to pump lead down the barrel that will handle the quality of reloads that most produce????

I know accuracy can be a driving force but you have to get the darn bullet into the gun before it can be accurate.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:42   #167
Colorado4Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluescot View Post
I agree with you Colorado but, as mentioned by me in this thread, when I did a side by side test of a Lone Wolf Barrel and a KKM barrel I found that that KKM would chamber rounds that the Lone Wolf chocked on. Now that is obviously just a non scientific test of only two barrels and they could be all over the board spec wise.

That being said, I still wonder why, from a pure marketing point, that someone doesn't offer a barrel for Glock shooters that want to pump lead down the barrel that will handle the quality of reloads that most produce????

I know accuracy can be a driving force but you have to get the darn bullet into the gun before it can be accurate.

That is what I suggested to LW. One match grade "chamber" one regular chamber. Make the regular chamber just a smidge tighter then the Glock.
Old 04-26-2012, 18:05   #168
blastfact

I have a 5.15" LW barrel in my G20 and like it a lot. The OEM barrel that came with my pistol is, IMHO JUNK. Glocks would be much better pistols if you could by one new less there crap euro trash barrel and whore loose chambers and the support of a old saggy boob. Sands my worthless OEM G20 barrel has never fired one of my rounds. And from the looks of the test fired brass that came with Glock doesn't care about there craptastic barrels.

My LW barrel has chambered every thing I've loaded for it including some SWC lead. It shoots out fantastic! Brass comes out as nice as it went in with no gas leak issues, smileys or swiped primer hits.

I will be buying more LW barrels.
Old 04-26-2012, 18:09   #169
WiskyT
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastfact View Post
I have a 5.15" LW barrel in my G20 and like it a lot. The OEM barrel that came with my pistol is, IMHO JUNK. Glocks would be much better pistols if you could by one new less there crap euro trash barrel and whore loose chambers and the support of a old saggy boob. Sands my worthless OEM G20 barrel has never fired one of my rounds. And from the looks of the test fired brass that came with Glock doesn't care about there craptastic barrels.

My LW barrel has chambered every thing I've loaded for it including some SWC lead. It shoots out fantastic! Brass comes out as nice as it went in with no gas leak issues, smileys or swiped primer hits.

Reloading

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
Old 04-26-2012, 18:12   #170
dkf

I'm happy with my Glock .357sig and .40 barrels. You are not going to get more chamber support with an aftermarket .357sig barrel vs the newer design .357sig Glock barrel. Matter of fact the aftermarket barrels actually have less support at the feed ramp. Glock also updated the .40 barrels several years ago for more chamber support. Still not as much support as the .357sig version but better than they used to be. Glock probably doesn't pay much attention to upgrading their 10mm line of pistols because they are at the very bottom of sales.

Quote:
If I ever start reloading lead and find it doesn't feed right I'll get the sadly only 6 inch kkm.
Before you write KKM off on the longer barrel I would contact them. They make their own barrels and I'm sure they would be willing to make a little longer barrel for you.

Last edited by dkf; 04-26-2012 at 18:15..
Old 04-26-2012, 18:49   #171
Tom Towns

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf View Post
Glock probably doesn't pay much attention to upgrading their 10mm line of pistols because they are at the very bottom of sales.
Must be why I had to order mine off Gunbroker...

Seriously...I hit all the gunshops around here for a couple months before I found one I could handle, but even it had been converted to a .50
Old 04-26-2012, 18:59   #172
Tom Towns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluescot View Post
Tom

I would suggest that you call KKM and talk to them and see if their products are a match for what you are looking for in an aftermarket barrel.

Thanks, I've heard nothing but good about them & that's probably the way I'll go. I'm probably gonna get a little longer barrel & run the guide rod laser & see how that works out.
The gun's on layaway right now & I probably won't take possession of it till the end of next month...plenty of time to get new dies, cases, etc.
Old 04-26-2012, 20:30   #173
68DARKHORSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakshow10mm View Post
LWD should know by now customers buy their barrels to shoot lead, so they should have their barrels throated to facilitate this.
I bought the LWD barrel to shoot 9mm from a g22. I thought that's what most people buy them for. That being said, the LDW website says, "The standard groove and land rifling make this an excellent choice for those who wish to shoot lead, plated or jacketed bullets". I they have a problem with shooting lead, the description should say so. They have no problem telling you that light loads may FTE. "About 1% of our 9mm conversion barrels are affected by the poor performance of low powered 115 grain ammunition causing a Failure To Eject (FTE). A good example of ammunition that is “most likely to fail” is Winchester White Box (WWB). This rare failure is too low a percentage to make an issue, however it is one we are well aware of."

G23 Gen4 .40/9mm - Sig 1911 - UTAC/PSA AR-15 - Mosberg Persuader - 12ga Remington 1100 Autoloader
GSSF Member
Old 04-26-2012, 20:37   #174
Bluescot

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastfact View Post

I've got two LWD barrels, one for a Glock 27 and one for a Glock 30 standard length that I'll sell you cheap.
Old 04-26-2012, 20:40   #175
Bluescot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado4Wheel View Post
That is what I suggested to LW. One match grade "chamber" one regular chamber. Make the regular chamber just a smidge tighter then the Glock.

Let me guess, you haven't heard back yet right?

They seem to be just an importer and the source for their barrels was guessed to be Korea. Sometimes it's hard to control the QC that you get and you can either solve the problem or call your customers idiots. I think we know which one was selected.
Old 04-27-2012, 00:03   #176
dizmodeus

Well it'll be a long time before this gun is ready for a different barrel first I need the long slide and all the other bull**** I'm gonna try with it I don't expect it to run right until I work the hell out of it but that's why I bought a glunk its a project gun something to entertain my mind working all the bugs out I don't want it to be too easy I enjoy a challenge although at this point I haven't had any issues

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Old 04-27-2012, 18:25   #177
JR
GT Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to JR Send a message via Yahoo to JR
Am I the only one that finds freakshow10mm out of line? Do you really find his opening and continuing statements excusable?
1) LWD barrels are notorious for short throats. Here he implies all LWD barrels are at issue when the truth is, only the 40's are his intent. He clearly states in subsequent posts his 45 barrels NEVER had an issue.
2) LWD employs crappy machinists. Yah right, we are the most successful Glock parts company since 1998, fourteen yrs running.... did it all on crap and nobody caught us until now?
3) I was a LWD dealer. The truth of the matter is, you placed 3 orders (years ago) each totaling LESS than our average retail sale. Why would you purposely attempt to elevate your relationship with LWD?
4) Any statistics I offer are made up on the spot. Really? Yours are truth and mine are lies? Try pointing a finger at me.... notice three more on your OWN hand point directly back to you.
5) You have a dozen customers using LWD barrels that will not accept ANY manufacture ammo except your own. Really? If this is true, please provide the spec these billion dollar companies fail to comprehend. You profess to build it, now show it.
6) Most anybody can get a Federal License. The fact that you (maybe) possess a license does not make you an expert ammunition manufacture! You may have a similar license as Remington but that is the closest you will ever come, any other similarity stops right there. I also found MANY threads in other chat rooms indicating you are no longer in business and have plenty of former customer complaints to deal with. I sincerely sympathize with your situation however find it inexcusable you would perpetuate virtually the same thing here. I quote your closing line in one of said threads, "Every time I post an update or response to the threads in the subforum, a mob attacks. Why waste my time there?"

LWD offers a true match grade chamber. We have zero issues with factory ammunition or reloads similar to Remington, Federal, Winchester factory loads.
If you are a reloader and have concerns regarding your load you can send us 4 or 5 dummy rounds (before the purchase) and we will custom cut your chamber (if needed) to fit your load. Thats right, send your loads to us before you purchase a barrel and we will pre-check fit for you.The cost to custom fit your load to your barrel is $30. This is a BETTER solution than any other because your chamber will fit your load exactly. You will not have a chamber that is max cut to fit everybody else's load.

LWD voids warranty if you use reloads. What does this mean? LWD does not have any control over your reloading process. We cannot control the cartridge overall length, bullet diameter, powder charge or the hundreds of other factors that could cause a catastrophic failure. (basically reads: We have no way to control your ++P++ nuclear go faster multi-plex pet load so...) If you shoot reloads from your LWD barrel and you experience a KB (Ka-Boom) we will inspect your barrel for correct hardness. When the barrel is proved to meet the required hardness we will offer you a replacement barrel at a 50% discount.

Fact: Run your loads through a case gauge before shooting. Many reloaders currently use Dillon or Midway stainless case gauges however these manufactures are known to have liberal tolerances. If your Dillon or Midway case gauge works with the LWD chamber you are good to go. If not, we recommend you use the EGW case gauge. The EGW is known to run tighter tolerances. Once the reload is fired from the LWD barrel you should not have a feed problem again.

FYI: Storm Lake never turned a Glock barrel until LWD brought the project to them

Bluescot: Good idea (seriously). Combat Grade Chambers on request! We could offer the same loose tolerance chamber SL and KKM currently provide (and evidently these posters want) and offer this barrel at $99, or maybe for a limited time at $89.95!. It wouldn't meet our match grade specifications therefore must be cheaper to manufacture (right?) Wait a second, if that is true.... why do the other guys charge so much? Oh well, what they charge does not concern me. I simply do the absolute best to provide my customers with the lowest price possible.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 04-27-2012, 18:31   #178
dkf

Reloading
Old 04-27-2012, 18:45   #179
Colorado4Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR View Post
Bluescot: Good idea (seriously). Combat Grade Chambers on request! We could offer the same loose tolerance chamber SL and KKM currently provide (and evidently these posters want) and offer this barrel at $99, or maybe for a limited time at $89.95!. It wouldn't meet our match grade specifications therefore must be cheaper to manufacture (right?) Wait a second, if that is true.... why do the other guys charge so much? Oh well, what they charge does not concern me. I simply do the absolute best to provide my customers with the lowest price possible.
That was actually my suggestion a while back. Your missing some of the point behind the suggestion. You keep mentioning factory specs but you don't seem to understand that lead in 9mm and 40 will never meet SAMMI spec. That is the point of the slightly larger chamber. KKM is not combat size. But it is big enough to work properly with lead.
Old 04-27-2012, 20:34   #180
JR
GT Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to JR Send a message via Yahoo to JR
Colorado4wheel: Yes you were the first to suggest the larger chamber, my mistake, sorry. I also completely understand the SAMMI spec situation, uh, er, factory spec thingy. There is no such thing for lead loads so there is no sense discussing it right? I can hence forth refer to this project as the bigger hole than what we currently offer but is the same as my competitors and fits the few guys load that takes time to read this GT thread. I know, I know, its a long name, tough to market too. Maybe shorten it up to the GT hole?

I am serious. It wont be very many barrels (judging by the few (but LOUD) complaints here) but I could do it. I will take all the barrels that don't meet our requirements (we reject) because of chamber chatter and recut the chamber to match the other guys. Too easy. I will also heavily discount these barrels to show my disdain, disgust for building something like the other guys. How about $79.95? I dont want such things lying around in my shop.

dkf: regarding post #178, nice contribution. When you eat the crayons.... do you prefer red or green?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Closed Thread

Tags
38super, glock bulge is a myth, kkm rocks, lwd barrels, match grade glory, who's a democrat?