SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-27-2012, 13:42   #81
Pier23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancher View Post
Why not get a 12 ga. either Remington 870 or Mossberg 590A1 and keep a few slugs in it and also have a few 00 buck and bird shot ready to go. That will take care of anything needing taken care of from bear to small varmints.

My "farm rife" I keep in the truck is a stainless Ruger 10/22 with two Butler Creek mags stuck together. We have black bear here but not enough I worry about. Carry my G17 in a Fobus paddle holster when working and the rifle is in the truck. I feel safe, it's Missouri not Alaska!

Rancher
Well, I have a Mossberg 500 12 ga and a 10/22 and the SKS, but more,as they say, is always better than less...
Pier23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 13:45   #82
M&P15T
Beard One

If you want your thread to be successful, mention brown bears.

Folks come a runnin' to tell all about how to handle a grizzly!!
General Firearms Forum

Last edited by M&P15T; 04-27-2012 at 13:46..
M&P15T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 17:51   #83
OrangePwr9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudbuster View Post
(Addition OT rant): I alway thought it hilarious in the AWB years that bayonet lugs were one of the scary evil features that were restricted. "So, really, you're worried I might stab people with my rifle?"
The country's run by hysterical women. Whaddaya expect?

On Topic: My all-purpose farm gun is a Savage 24 over-under. Got a 24V: .223 over 20 ga. and a later 24F .223 over 12 ga. The rifle barrels in both are quite accurate if you keep them cool. The shotgun patterns are merely "good enough".

Of course, only two shots and that's fine here in NY as the targets can't eat you. But it is nice to have the reach when you need it and some scatter when the target's moving.

Last edited by OrangePwr9; 04-27-2012 at 17:52..
OrangePwr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 20:47   #84
Nestor
Lean & Mean

I think that there are many definitions and ideas of the ranch rifle flying around. All of them are fine, but for me it comes down either to Mini 14 or 30-30 like this one...

General Firearms Forum

R.I.P Jeff (23Skidoo), Chad (CJLandry) & Mark (Okie) You all will be missed.

Last edited by Nestor; 04-27-2012 at 20:49..
Nestor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 21:08   #85
Veedubklown

Quote:
Veed, you comment on the drop-safe issue with "(That's not the design of the gun, but the way they were manufactured. This can be put back, rather easily.)" Are you talking about installing a spring-loaded firing pin?

I've done that on both my SKSes, and while that gives me a lot of comfort, and is probably good enough, the fact is that there is still no firing pin block on an SKS, and the only two convenient ways of carrying them loaded are with an open bolt (possible to slam-fire with only the stock free-floating pin if the bolt gets caught on a branch) or closed bolt with a chambered round -- probably you'd have to drop it from quite a height to overcome the spring on the firing pin, but, say you're 30 feet up in a tree stand hunting deer (actually illegal to use an SKS for deer in Ohio, but a possibility elsewhere) then maybe that's a possibility.

I honestly don't know if anything more than the spring-loaded firing pin is required to make the SKS drop safe, but I do know that the SKS is the only rifle or handgun I've ever had slam-fire on me (and go into full auto mode because the firing pin jammed! Wow, was that a shock! Good thing it was pointed in a safe direction -- that rule's there for a reason!), which is what motivated me to get the spring-loaded pins. I think the spring-loaded pins are tremendously safer.

I think most people don't even know the spring-loaded firing pins are an option, so it's definitely worth pointing out to people that consider the SKS as a truck gun/farm gun/general knock-around gun that the SKS is one of the least safe rifles out there to keep loaded with the free-floating firing pins that come stock on almost all of them
I had a spring loaded pin, and under heat and compression, it failed, collapsed, and jammed my firing pin. Ironic, no? I threw the spring away, and just use murray's firing pin. If the lack of a firing pin block is what concerns you, you likely shouldn't consider 1911's either? That wasn't what I referring to, however. The sears and hammers were made with little consideration for engagement. Most SKS's have neutral to negative. With a little stone work, you can set your sear to positive engagement, and that hammer can't fall off the sear (at least, it's much less likely, and would take a long fall onto the muzzle for it to fall off).
Quote:
Originally Posted by M&P15T View Post

General Firearms Forum
Step 1: Deficate.
Old 04-27-2012, 21:13   #86
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veedubklown View Post
I had a spring loaded pin, and under heat and compression, it failed, collapsed, and jammed my firing pin. Ironic, no? I threw the spring away, and just use murray's firing pin. If the lack of a firing pin block is what concerns you, you likely shouldn't consider 1911's either? That wasn't what I referring to, however. The sears and hammers were made with little consideration for engagement. Most SKS's have neutral to negative. With a little stone work, you can set your sear to positive engagement, and that hammer can't fall off the sear (at least, it's much less likely, and would take a long fall onto the muzzle for it to fall off).

Step 1: Deficate.
Step 2: Shoot hiking partner in the foot.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:54   #87
Haldor
Retired EE

Quote:
(Addition OT rant): I alway thought it hilarious in the AWB years that bayonet lugs were one of the scary evil features that were restricted. "So, really, you're worried I might stab people with my rifle?"
Well there were all those drive-by bayonetings. Taught me to walk on the yard side of the sidewalks in my neighborhood. Just out of easy stabbing range!

Life is stranger than fiction.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...bloodbath.html
Guys! Guys! He's down! Stop kicking him! If he shows up on another thread, Tasers are indicated, but for now, let him slink off into the shadows to lick his wounds and ponder how deeply cool and misunderstood he is!
Hoot nred Mrs. Vr.
Haldor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:59   #88
cloudbuster

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&P15T View Post

General Firearms Forum
I learned everything I need to know about handling bears from Clint Howard!

General Firearms Forum

Oh, and Timothy Treadwell!
"A constitutional guarantee subject to future judges’ assessments of its usefulness is no constitutional guarantee at all." -- Justice Antonin Scalia, DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA ET AL. v. HELLER, June 26, 2008
cloudbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:51   #89
jeager

Yesterday...

...was Timothy's Birthday!
jeager is offline   Reply With Quote