SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Closed Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 23:18   #281
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Upgraded the house fire preps a bit. Got a nice, big extinguisher for the garage, a new kitchen extinguisher, and another smoke detector.

Sexy preps are sexy.

(yes, I do amuse myself)

Survival/Preparedness Forum

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Old 04-28-2012, 08:39   #282
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp View Post
Upgraded the house fire preps a bit. Got a nice, big extinguisher for the garage, a new kitchen extinguisher, and another smoke detector.

Sexy preps are sexy.

(yes, I do amuse myself)

Survival/Preparedness Forum
Good for getting the extinguisher and smoke alarms.

But.....you couldn't decide on one type? One size and shape couldn't fit all your needs?
Old 04-28-2012, 08:40   #283
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

I am boring. I funded my Roth.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:59   #284
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBlue View Post
Good for getting the extinguisher and smoke alarms.

But.....you couldn't decide on one type? One size and shape couldn't fit all your needs?
The PASS protocol applies equally to all of 'em, just like most every fire extinguisher. Well, except for the 6 year old little kitchen one with the puny push button on top.

I'm not concerned in the least with getting a 'matched set'

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Old 04-28-2012, 12:02   #285
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp View Post
The PASS protocol applies equally to all of 'em, just like most every fire extinguisher. Well, except for the 6 year old little kitchen one with the puny push button on top.

I'm not concerned in the least with getting a 'matched set'
Don't get me wrong, I think is great that you have several fire extinguishers. I just don't understand how you ended up with none of them matching. I don't think I could get that variety if I tried.
Old 04-28-2012, 12:09   #286
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBlue View Post
Don't get me wrong, I think is great that you have several fire extinguishers. I just don't understand how you ended up with none of them matching. I don't think I could get that variety if I tried.
Why would they match?

They are fire extinguishers. Other than the funky "kitchen" BC models, they are virtually identical to every other run of the mill extinguisher out there. Also, two of them ARE the same, they just happen to be different colors. The other two are different because, well, they aren't the same size. In case you haven't noticed when shopping for said items recently, the larger ones tend to cost more, and can be more difficult for some people to use due to the size and weight. As such, differing sizes are worth having.

I feel like I should take the ones out of the vehicles and put them in the family portrait as well, since they are different still, lol.

Edit: Oh yeah, I have another one, not pictured because it is some years old and needs recharged. It too is different than the rest, lol. It is one step down in size from the largest pictured, but has a different cylinder design. lol

Last edited by Warp; 04-28-2012 at 12:17..
Old 04-28-2012, 13:31   #287
newcc

Went to the dentist- to have all my crowns done and cavities filled. Sounds odd but this kind of upkeep could be important when you have a problem and can't get the work done for whatever reason.
Old 04-28-2012, 13:37   #288
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcc View Post
Went to the dentist- to have all my crowns done and cavities filled. Sounds odd but this kind of upkeep could be important when you have a problem and can't get the work done for whatever reason.
Doesn't sound odd at all and you are far from the first person to post dental work. I finally had my wisdom teeth (one partially impacted) out last week and you bet your ass I posted that.

Old 04-28-2012, 15:28   #289
LongGun1
StraightShooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcc View Post

One of the best preps is having any dental work up to date...IMO!

"Accuracy first, Speed second.....Speed first, Accuracy never"
Old 04-30-2012, 19:30   #290
LongGun1
StraightShooter

Getting anxious waiting on the CZ 75 P-07 Duty Pistol (w/ threaded barrel & suppressor sights) to be released...

..so I decided to get an unthreaded version while waiting!

http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-p07-duty/

So today, I ordered the P-07 Duty (comes with 2 each 16 rd magazines, cleaning rod & case), an extra 16 rd magazine & a holster!

Also ordered a couple of modified MagLULAs for more rapid trouble-free pistol mag loading.

Ordered more electrical accessories/mods to the V-Strom as well..

..going to be a very busy Friday installing & modding!

Last edited by LongGun1; 04-30-2012 at 19:36..
Old 04-30-2012, 19:43   #291
emt1581
Curious Member

CZ...aside from the surplus guns which are totally different I've never even held a CZ, what's so special/different about them?

Thanks

-Emt1581
Old 04-30-2012, 23:21   #292
LongGun1
StraightShooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by emt1581 View Post
CZ...aside from the surplus guns which are totally different I've never even held a CZ, what's so special/different about them?

Thanks

-Emt1581

Well, I have been very enamored of CZ products for a long time for many reasons!

http://www.czub.cz/en/Default.aspx

Focusing on just the CZ 75...

..the base design is one of the most copied pistols in the world..(for good reason)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CZ_75

..and the variations on the mid-70's era base model continue today.

The CZ-75 & copies/variants are staples in IPSC & other fast paced, combat styled shooting sports

Some really interesting pistol competition videos here...

http://www.czub.cz/en/Shooting-Team-...t=Videogallery

The CZ-75 (& clones) are some of the most esthetically comfortable pistols I have used..

.. & the most esthetically superb "wonder-9" single/double action combat pistol I have used.

The accuracy is superb (due to the full length internally fitted slide & other reasons... like the really good stock FCG)
A variation (TZ mfg'd copy actually) of that model (a tuned Springfield Armory P9LSP) generated the best groups (2 sets of 15 rds...2 different types of ammo...printed in a 2 3/4" x approx 12" pattern...@90 yards...back-to-back ) I have ever generated with an unscoped centerfire semi-auto pistol.
After the 1st round rung the 2 3/4" wide steel target (drill stem?) 90 yards distant, my shooting partner laughed out loud & stated "you could not hit it again in a million years"...29 consecutive times later both he & I were nothing less than astounded! The front sight was the width of the piece of plywood the drill stem was holding up & what was the actual point-of-aim ....the drop was considerable...

The same day..the tuned P9LSP thoroughly trounced my shooting partner's "new" SIG-Neuhausen P210-6....about $2,000 worth of Swiss craftsmanship & considered by many the most accurate 9mm combat pistol in the world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SIG_P210

But all of the pluses aside..

..weight & size have kept the CZ & TZ from being one of my CCW....

Enter the new polymer framed CZ 75 P07 Duty..

..besides the previously mentioned "CZ75 qualities" ..

It has a redesigned FCG (i.e Omega Trigger) that is superb (using that word a lot ), it sports a lightweight polymer frame, it is more compact (but still carries 16 + 1), internal tapered slide, pistol can be used as a decocker (SIG style) or cocked & locked (1911 style) by swapping out one mech for another (both included), comes with 2 magazines (standard)

http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-p07-duty/

The pistol is very reasonably priced....I got mine for just over $400..

..and the new threaded version with raised suppressor sights should be around $450 or so..

..about 1/2 the price of "suppressor ready" offerings from other manufacturers.

Last edited by LongGun1; 04-30-2012 at 23:36..
Old 05-03-2012, 05:01   #293
TangoFoxtrot
OIF 04-05

New flood light sensor system around my house.
Old 05-05-2012, 22:43   #294
M1A Shooter

Send a message via Yahoo to M1A Shooter
added a glock 23, gen 3, to the collection. swapped out for an extended slide stop lever, smooth trigger and glock minus connector as i do on all 4 of them so far.
also ordered 2 sets of the ameriglo hackathorn night sights for my g35 and g23.
enough components for 2K rounds of .40 and the dies.
also ordered an Insight WL1-AA pistol light. i am really excited to see how it compares to the m3 and m3x i have owned in the past. i have gotten to where i really hate cr123 batteries so between this and my greg mcgee c3-907s, i am all AA battery for all of my working lights, with the exception of a couple D cell maglights i keep in the cars to double as batons.

also, lastly i ordered a Comp-tac paddle holster and 2 single mag pouches for the glock 35.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:51   #295
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Been riding to work on the bicycle.

Recharged the rechargables in storage. (I think the rechargables are not storing as well as they did to begin with.)
Old 05-15-2012, 12:20   #296
DoctaGlockta

Found some 308 milsurp today. Most places online seem to be out of stock. Talked to one shop today and got the 'election' excuse. However I have never seen such a shortage of milsurp 308 even around last election.

- Barack Hussein Obama
Old 05-17-2012, 10:42   #297
Devans0

I tried making fire by sticks. I need more practice... But alternatively picked up a Zippo, some 90% isopropyl alcohol and rainproof tinder, and 2 fresnel magnifying sheets.

Reminded me of my burning ants as I started fire in seconds with the magnifier. I had way too much fun for an adult with it. I have a blind spot on my vision now. I'll get a darkened shade with the magnifier so I don't cause real damage, next.

I like this thread. It keeps me focused on task to triage my plans and skill building.

Last edited by Devans0; 05-17-2012 at 10:53..
Old 05-17-2012, 16:44   #298
wjv

Refreshed my gas supply (25 gallons in containers)

Tossed it all in the suburban and then took a road trip.

Filled up the suburban with 30+ gallons of gas when I got back. Also refilled the 25 gallons worth of containers.

The urge to save humanity is almost always a false-face for the urge to rule it.
- H. L. Mencken -
Old 05-17-2012, 16:49   #299
dissthis
Gun Fan

Got a couple of knives; SOG and K-Bar. And got a Glock e-tool.
Set up a new ROTH account through USAA in case the world doesn't come to a screeching halt and I can actually retire...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Old 05-18-2012, 11:57   #300
LongGun1
StraightShooter

My Arkansas Concealed Handgun License arrived (non-resident Florida permit previous to that)!

3 more CZ P07 Duty magazines arrived!

Resolved several issues with the V-Strom..

..balanced the throttle bodies with a homemade manometer..

..and upgraded the electrical system (again)..

.. & found a minor electrical issue causing major problems.

Put another 1K on the V-Strom in the last week..

..running much better after the mods/maintenance!

Little Ole Lady in a big Cadillac tried to turn me into a hood ornament just outside of Little Rock..

..during packed rush hour traffic on I-40..

..thank goodness for situational awareness, reflexes & air horns!

But the most interesting...& one that really needs sharing is this...

While doing research for female friends/relatives concerning the development of their situational awareness & response curves relating to self-defense..

(several have purchased CHL firearms, are taking CHL Classes or personal training by me & are stepping up to take personal responsibility for the safety of themselves & family...either due to their husbands extended absences due to work, their husbands unwillingness to address personal security to their satisfaction, etc, etc)

..I came across a very interesting read on the subject.

In short, I was trying find "Study Material" for them to bridge the gap between my (fairly rich & raw at times) life experiences & their very limited ones..

..trying to articulate "truly bad" & "evil"..

(& how to recognize those developing "life changing" scenarios that might turn their lives into a chalk line & crime statistic or worse)

..to those whose worst personal encounters tends to stop at a few brief basically "rude" interactions!

Also since I am the opposite physically (6' 7", 295lb)..

..combined with "if I am dressed...I am armed"

..seasoned with (many more than I would like) survival experiences in my early years..
(formative years in bad side of town, later lived in a predominately Islamic country rife with terrorism, a military coup & shoot-to-kill martial law, etc)

..so what worked & worked well for me....

(concerning recognizing, avoiding, posturing & sometimes addressing violent encounters...including those wielding knives, clubs, broken bottles, guns, etc)

..likely will not apply to them in the same way.

Basically...young females tend seen as easy prey to predatory humans..

..me...not so much!

And that is where I came across this gem!

The book mirrors my personal views..

..which is the best 'fight' or 'assault'..

..is the one recognized early & skillfully avoided..

..and if violence is inevitable...put him, her or them down as quickly & efficiently as possible!

This book is a "must read" for anyone in this forum...IMO

Facing Violence: Preparing for the Unexpected

A "Must Read"..

..not only by those females I am discussing..

..but for anyone wanting to understand the psychology of violence as it relates to their situational awareness..

..anyone wanting to cultivate & hone a trained response to developing situations..

.. & anyone wanting to increase their personal/group safety while in public!

Only $7.89 for the Kindle Version (free reader for PC or Mac)..

..1/2 way thru it...

..and one of my best purchases...ever..

..Highly Recommended!!

A disclaimer...it covers very graphic subject material...

..the language & descriptions are not for the squeamish!

Quote:
Seven Steps to Legal, Emotional and Physical Preparation

This book stands alone as an introduction to the context of self-defense. There are seven elements that must be addressed to bring self-defense training to something approaching ‘complete.’ Any training that dismisses any of these areas leaves you vulnerable.

1. Legal and ethical implications. A student learning self-defense must learn force law. Otherwise it is possible to train to go to prison. Side by side with the legal rules, every student must explore his or her own ethical limitations. Most do not really know where this ethical line lies within them.

2. Violence dynamics. Self-defense must teach how attacks happen. Students must be able to recognize an attack before it happens and know what kind they are facing.

3. Avoidance. Students need to learn and practice not fighting. Learning includes escape and evasion, verbal de-escalation, and also pure-not-be there avoidance.

4. Counter-ambush. If the student didn’t see the precursors or couldn’t successfully avoid the encounter he or she will need a handful of actions trained to reflex level for a sudden violent attack.

5. Breaking the freeze. Freezing is almost universal in a sudden attack. Students must learn to recognize a freeze and break out of one.

6. The fight itself. Most martial arts and self-defense instructors concentrate their time right here. What is taught just needs to be in line with how violence happens in the world.

7. The aftermath. There are potential legal, psychological, and medical effects of engaging in violence no matter how justified. Advanced preparation is critical.

Any teacher or student of self-defense, anyone interested in self-defense, and any person who desires a deeper understanding of violence needs to read this book.

Last edited by LongGun1; 05-18-2012 at 11:59..

Closed Thread