SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-26-2012, 07:17   #1
Kevin108
HADOKEN!

US Members: Let's work to get our ATVs street legal

I want ATVs to be treated as motorcycles so I can ride mine to work. I understand needing the basics: signals, a horn, a speedo and DOT-approved tires. They have VINs, titles and insurance already.

I keep thinking about carrying mine to a state inspection station and paying the fee for an inspection just to have documentation for what it lacks. From there, I'll have to take on the DMV and who knows what else.

Have any of you been down this path? Or are any of you already able to ride on city streets? What are the laws and conditions for you?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Kevin108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 17:30   #2
paintballwannab

I would assume its no different then building a street legal dune buggy/rail buggy. The items you listed, along with street insurance(not just theft).

Your best bet is doing what you suggested, taking to a dmv inspection center.

They make kits to do it, and also sell street legal ATV's. Simple google search will pull up a ton of them.
paintballwannab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 05:31   #3
tooledws2

That would be fine by me as long as it keeps up with traffic. I think that we should make bicycles illegal on the road. They don't keep up with traffic and cause a hazard and hindrance
Old 04-27-2012, 05:52   #4
nursetim

We stopped in Casper WY for supplies and saw a couple ATVs on the street.

Interesting observation, Montana and Wyoming had a limited police presence on the highways, Colorado as well. When we got to Oklahoma I noticed more police and Arkansas was huge. Apropos of nothing at all.
Old 04-27-2012, 06:50   #5
glock_collector

I think we should make those motorized chairs illegal on the road too, they get caught in my dually fenders!!
glock_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 06:50   #6
Kevin108
HADOKEN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballwannab View Post
They make kits to do it, and also sell street legal ATV's. Simple google search will pull up a ton of them.
At one time, Polaris was selling street-legal versions for Europe with the typically-required accouterments so I can probably even get OEM parts if I wanted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooledws2 View Post
That would be fine by me as long as it keeps up with traffic. I think that we should make bicycles illegal on the road. They don't keep up with traffic and cause a hazard and hindrance
My girl's 330 will do 60+. I haven't clocked my 500 yet. Might do that today. I just want to ride around town though - mainly back and forth to work on city streets, Depending on my route, 40 mph would be the most I needed to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nursetim View Post
We stopped in Casper WY for supplies and saw a couple ATVs on the street.

Interesting observation, Montana and Wyoming had a limited police presence on the highways, Colorado as well. When we got to Oklahoma I noticed more police and Arkansas was huge. Apropos of nothing at all.
I really want to get up to WV to check out the Hatfield McCoy trail system. There it's entirely appropriate to pull off the trail and ride into town for fuel and lunch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock_collector View Post
I think we should make those motorized chairs illegal on the road too, they get caught in my dually fenders!!
If you get stuff caught in the fenders, around here you'd have to stop and clean them out at the city line because the guys on bicycles riding the wrong way down the road.
|
Old 04-28-2012, 06:58   #7
eracer
Where's my EBT?

No thanks. It took a bunch of calls to the cops to get the new neighbors in the rental house across the street to stop racing their ATV up and down the street.

BrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaa

The cops only came because it was illegal.
Matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration; we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There is no such thing as death. Life is a dream, and we're the imagination of ourselves. And now...the weather! ---- Bill Hicks
eracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 07:38   #8
rhikdavis
U.S. Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to rhikdavis Send a message via Skype™ to rhikdavis
Quote:
Originally Posted by eracer View Post

That's a good reason.

"This thread didn't take long to go full retard." -Nevermore1701
rhikdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 23:16   #9
Kevin108
HADOKEN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eracer View Post
No thanks. It took a bunch of calls to the cops to get the new neighbors in the rental house across the street to stop racing their ATV up and down the street.

I want to be fully compliant with the law. No speeding. No insanely loud exhaust. Wanting to keep law-abiding drivers from operating their machines on the street is the same thing as hoping gun laws that disarm the innocent will protect us from criminals.
|

Last edited by Kevin108; 04-28-2012 at 23:16..
Old 04-28-2012, 23:25   #10
05DodgeDakota
Sheep Dog

I too really want this. Some states allow it. I know according to fl law a motorcycle is defined as having two or three wheels. I think the definition should be changed to having handlebars and a straddle seat. So technically here it would have to be registered as a car and would need seat belts, emissions and crash ratings like a car.

What I am considering doing is buying a salvage dual sport motorcycle, transferring the registration to my quad, and then see how long it takes before I get into any trouble. That is how most dune buggys get away with it. Lucky for me fl has no inspection. I of course will install the proper equipment first and obey traffic laws.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Glock 22, Smith & Wesson 4506-1, Kel-Tec PF-9, Remignton 870 Express Magnum, Springfeild M1903A4, Mosin-Nagant Carbine
05DodgeDakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 15:57   #11
Kevin108
HADOKEN!

Handlebars and a straddle seat is a very logical modification to the language!
|

Last edited by Kevin108; 05-15-2012 at 15:57..
Old 05-15-2012, 16:03   #12
Just_plinking

I think that if this caught on, there would be a lot of accidents. I'm all for doing what I want, and letting others do what they want, but a stock atv is not inherently safe on pavement. I can see the media blitz now.
Old 05-15-2012, 20:06   #13
Kevin108
HADOKEN!

Why does that sound like a familiar argument?

Quote:
I think that if civilians carrying concealed weapons caught on, there would be a lot of accidents. I'm all for doing what I want, and letting others do what they want, but an untrained gun owner is not inherently safe on our streets. I can see the media blitz now.
How is an ATV more dangerous than a motorcycle or trike?
|

Last edited by Kevin108; 05-15-2012 at 20:08..
Old 05-15-2012, 20:15   #14
Just_plinking

wheel alignment, center of gravity, suspension compression and rebound rates. I've rode some on the pavement, but I wouldn't get on the back of one. Just my .02, I'm all for it.
Old 05-16-2012, 22:27   #15
aaronrkelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_plinking View Post
I think that if this caught on, there would be a lot of accidents. I'm all for doing what I want, and letting others do what they want, but a stock atv is not inherently safe on pavement. I can see the media blitz now.
There are several states already where its legal......I havent seen any media blitz.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards." - Claire Wolfe
aaronrkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 21:51   #16
Kevin108
HADOKEN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_plinking View Post
wheel alignment, center of gravity, suspension compression and rebound rates. I've rode some on the pavement, but I wouldn't get on the back of one. Just my .02, I'm all for it.
Not sure what you rode but my Polaris Scrambler doesn't give me any concern at all. Easily adjustable alignment, smooth ride, good braking, low center of gravity, etc.
|