Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:29   #1
EPTSSP
Vigilante

Small .380/9MM for jogging, trail walking.

Hey all,
was looking for suggestions for my Wife to take out on trails jogging or walking the dogs. She is a tall medium framed woman (145lbs). We recently relocated from El Paso to Northern Wisconsin and will be living right off the national forest. I was looking at the LCP .380 as a decent lightweight option, we already have a G23 but that is a little big for her to be jogging around with. Thank you for your suggetions.

EPTSSP.
Old 04-23-2012, 20:50   #2
Uncle Pat

I found a good deal on an LCP w/laser at one of the local stores, and bought it for the missus to stash in her car, etc. Super easy to conceal anywhere, but she still would rather carry the S&W J-frame she picked out.

First loves are hard to replace.
Uncle Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 20:54   #3
mingaa

I hate to mention but this sounds like what the LCP was made for - otherwise start combing through the small single stack 9s!
Old 04-23-2012, 20:59   #4
jmarkt

Diamond Back .380 is nice.
jmarkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:13   #5
FTjoe

co-worker i was with at the gun show is liking the feel of the SIG P238 (.380) over the LCP (.380) and LC9 (9mm). but she wants to wait till the SIG 938 (9mm) comes out to feel it as well as the S&W shield (9mm). the shields were all gone on day 1 of the show so could not test fit any.

walther she tried had a very hard slide to put into battery. the P238 was effortless!!

and she's not to comfortable with the DB, Kahr or Kel-Tec.
FTjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:16   #6
mj9mm

have you seen any bears in the area, keep your eyes open out there
mj9mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:22   #7
mike28w

Make sure that your wife can run the slide and pull the trigger.....
My wife and I tried out a bunch of small 380's and she really struggled with the either the slide or trigger... She loves her Sig 238 ( wouldn't you know, she'd pick an expensive one).
Anyway, if that's what she'll shoot ( and she shoots it well)....that's what she gets !! YMMV, mike
mike28w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:43   #8
eaglefrq
NRA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike28w View Post
Make sure that your wife can run the slide and pull the trigger.....
My wife and I tried out a bunch of small 380's and she really struggled with the either the slide or trigger...
+1

My wife's about the same size as yours, and she has some problems with the slide on our LCP. It's hard for her to get a good grip on it. She doesn't have problems with my Glocks or Shield.

How does your wife plan on carrying while jogging? If you haven't seen these, they look interesting. I don't have one, but I've thought about picking one up.

http://www.pistolwear.com
Old 04-24-2012, 07:51   #9
tooledws2

I have said it before and I'll say it again. My desert eagle micro 380 has been a monster. Zero jams with quality fmj or Corbon glazer ammo. I love mine
Old 04-24-2012, 17:39   #10
fowler

After a year of carry with the little crappy pistol 380 my wife went to a G26 with a kydexx IWB. She shoots it better and likes the 11 rds of full power 9mm over with 100 % reliability and ease of shooting accurate.
fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 04:11   #11
FTjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by fowler View Post
After a year of carry with the little crappy pistol 380 my wife went to a G26 with a kydexx IWB. She shoots it better and likes the 11 rds of full power 9mm over with 100 % reliability and ease of shooting accurate.
what "crappy" .380 was she carrying? was it a jam-o-matic, rough on her hands when she shot it or didnt quite fit her/slide too difficult. if a quality problem, i'd like to stay away from it when considering .380s for my daughter.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:38   #12
ithaca_deerslayer

Most lightweight small .380 have snappy recoil that feels like a .44 mag.

I'm not exagerating too much. It is a matter of perception. My wife hates the recoil of the Ruger LCP. But it is a good gun, reliable, and she still carries it sometimes anyway. But she hates to shoot it!

If you step up in size and weight, and power, to something like a Kahr PM9 or CM9, the felt recoil will actually be less.

Maybe some other small light .380 won't have such snappy recoil. I know my LCP and PPK both do. And I know most men won't notice the recoil (or certainly won't admit to it), while most women might.

Again this is all a matter of perception Just something to think about.

Last edited by ithaca_deerslayer; 04-25-2012 at 09:40..
ithaca_deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:43   #13
Bilbo Bagins
Slacked jawed

Jogging, she may want to look at a fanny pack or some other CC option. Carrying a heavy gun sucks when running. Personally I carry an NAA mini revolver and a good lightweight knife when I run, but that is bare bones protection and I would not expect anyone with minimal training to fend off an attacker with those options.

The Ruger LCP and Kel Tec P3at have a sharp recoil, like Ithaca said. For some it is a handful to shoot the Exploding Credt Card pocket pistols.

The Kahr P380, S&W Bodyguard 380 and the Sig P238 have a very mild recoil for their size, with a slight weight penality when compared to the LCP. You can go 9mm but I would not go above the Beretta Nano, Kimber Solo, or Kahr PM9 weight and size class. I think anything over 20oz or 6" in length gets to be a PITA when jogging or running. Its also harder to hide, and to keep steady when running. You don't want a 2lb 6 1/2" slab of metal whackin' your hip with every step.
Bilbo Bagins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 06:05   #14
FTjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithaca_deerslayer View Post
Most lightweight small .380 have snappy recoil that feels like a .44 mag.

I'm not exagerating too much. It is a matter of perception. My wife hates the recoil of the Ruger LCP. But it is a good gun, reliable, and she still carries it sometimes anyway. But she hates to shoot it!

If you step up in size and weight, and power, to something like a Kahr PM9 or CM9, the felt recoil will actually be less.

Maybe some other small light .380 won't have such snappy recoil. I know my LCP and PPK both do. And I know most men won't notice the recoil (or certainly won't admit to it), while most women might.

Again this is all a matter of perception Just something to think about.
i gotta agree here. a co-worker (female) and i shot a friend's SIG P230. snappy is an understatement! it was hurting her forearm and the webbing between her thumb and index finger. it was hurting my index finger (not sure what i was doing wrong when firing it, but whatever it was i didnt like it. guessing all subcompact light framed 380s are like this?

next trip we'll rent the SIG P238 as our local range has one (as well as a P232) to see how it feels.

waiting for them to get the S&W shield to rent and try out.
Old 04-28-2012, 22:04   #15
Scott3670

I was at the range today and saw a 380 that I have NEVER seen before. It was a Taurus 380 revolver, 5-shot and snubby. If I hadn't seen it I would not have believed it. Might be something to consider for your wife.

Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid.
Scott3670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:26   #16
dudel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarkt View Post
Diamond Back .380 is nice.
I like the DB9 myself. However, in this case, I'd recommend a snubbie in 38Spl. As the pistols get smaller, the recoil spring gets stronger. The slide draw on my DB9 is much more than on my G17 or G37. Also if she's not going to practice enough to stay familiar, a wheel gun is going to be easier IMHO.
dudel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 16:34   #17
Danl Boone

My wife and daughter both love their sig P238's and shoot well with them too. My wife has a hard time racking slides, she couldn't do it on the ruger lcp, but no problem on her p238.
Danl Boone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 19:58   #18
xxlarge

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTjoe View Post
co-worker i was with at the gun show is liking the feel of the SIG P238 (.380) over the LCP (.380) and LC9 (9mm). but she wants to wait till the SIG 938 (9mm) comes out to feel it as well as the S&W shield (9mm). the shields were all gone on day 1 of the show so could not test fit any.

walther she tried had a very hard slide to put into battery. the P238 was effortless!!

and she's not to comfortable with the DB, Kahr or Kel-Tec.
A good friend and his wife both have a Sig238 and I was very impressed with how smooth they shoot. Pulling the slide back was extraordinarily easy and smooth. Sig will have one in 9mm just like the 238 soon. May be worth checking out.
Hi, I'm XXlarge and I'm a Glockaholic. I've fallen off the wagon in the past but have taken the pledge to follow the 12 step program, which means I have only seven more to go. I may have to add a few more steps.
xxlarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 20:45   #19
freedom790

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxlarge View Post
A good friend and his wife both have a Sig238 and I was very impressed with how smooth they shoot. Pulling the slide back was extraordinarily easy and smooth. Sig will have one in 9mm just like the 238 soon. May be worth checking out.
Big +1 on this! My Sig P238 is a very soft shooter. I really thought it was going to snap like my wife's older Bersa Thunder .380 but it felt more like a soft 9mm from a Beretta. I was pleasantly surprised.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:58   #20
FTjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxlarge View Post
thanks XXlarge. will try one out with my daughter next time we're at the range together as they have a P238 as a rental. if she can't make it, then i'll test it and see if its something she should feel. pulling the slide and recoil are most important for her.

also looking forward to handling the 9mm version (P938 i think) this year at my LGS.
Old 04-30-2012, 14:50   #21
mike28w

I don't understand why the Sig 238 is so much more comfortable to shoot than other small 380s....It's not the lightest or smallest of the 380s but it's neither large nor heavy either....

Any guess why ???? mike
mike28w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 16:51   #22
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

I've yet to meet a woman who actually likes her Ruger LCP. If you get a semi-auto, make sure it's not a blow-back action. (Blow-backs tend to have a healthy kick to them - More than most women are comfortable using.)

How about the new S&W, 'Shield'! That might be light enough for your wife to jog with; and still have, 'some punch' should she ever need it.
Arc Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 17:58   #23
Danl Boone

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike28w View Post
I don't understand why the Sig 238 is so much more comfortable to shoot than other small 380s....It's not the lightest or smallest of the 380s but it's neither large nor heavy either....

Any guess why ???? mike
I'll take a guess- because it's sig and they cost twice as much as an lcp. Get what you pay for?
Danl Boone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 17:18   #24
LiebeGlock

Wow, a lot of Sig lovers on this thread. I handled a Sig .380 at a Gun Shop not too long ago and I instantly felt an attraction, but I can't stand paying the price for one of those. Especially, when I can get a Glock for half the price. (Don't ya just love the Military/Law Enforcement Discount Pricing Glock has?)

So, I actually have a Taurus .380 and a Kel-Tech .380. Both have had mods done to them and the Kel Tech kicked bad before I wore it in a little. The reason why I prefer it though to the others because of the belt clip that you can attach on the back part of the frame. It makes for AMAZING conceal carry.. I wore it to the batting cages, out throwing the ball around and even jogging. I am also a small frame girl (120lbs) and it can be tough to find something that is easy to conceal and will stay put!
(If you get the clip that attaches, I reccommend wearing a tank top underneath.)
http://www.google.com/imgres?q=kel+t...,r:9,s:7,i:119

Last edited by LiebeGlock; 05-07-2012 at 17:20..
LiebeGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 15:34   #25
onesureshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc Angel View Post
How about the new S&W, 'Shield'! That might be light enough for your wife to jog with; and still have, 'some punch' should she ever need it.
We got a Shield just after they came out, and it promptly became "HERS". I will be picking one up for myself as soon as I find another one at a reasonable price. Fantastic shooting little pistol with very manageable recoil. Lots of other positive reviews out there too.
onesureshot is offline   Reply With Quote