Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-27-2012, 13:12   #21
GIockGuy24
Bring M&M's

When the Chinese SKS was really cheap, $60 - $70, It started becoming popular to convert them for detachable magazines. In 1993, the ATF made a rule that the ATF has to be notified of any firearm converted from fixed to detachable magazine. This has nothing to do with the 1994 AWB. The rule does not ban the conversions, but the ATF might deny permission to perform the conversions. But the rule doesn't ban the conversions. It looks like more of a way to keep up with detachable magazine semi auto rifles, for future regulations, such as the 1994 AWB. Especially if companies bought hundreds or thousands of $60 SKS rifles and converted them. The rule itself does not ban the conversions and simply requires that ATF be notified of them.
Old 04-27-2012, 17:48   #22
wavetrain75
Useless Member

STEP AWAY FROM THE RUSSIAN

If you want to start hacking up an SKS, find an old Yugo. Aside from the legal issues you will do nothing but destroy the value and make it less reliable. Russians in original condition are a nice collectors piece, modified you'd be lucky to get 60% of the current value.

Saigas are great candidates for mods.
Old 04-27-2012, 20:37   #23
CTfam
DREAM BIG.

I would dump that SKS to fund an AK or more mags and ammo. Unless you are a collector and want to pull it out of the safe every once in a while for fun... It is a poor choice for a fighting rifle. Just my opinion... 10 round stripper clips? No thanks.
Old 04-28-2012, 11:07   #24
Pier23

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyelikeglasses View Post
OP, I'll send you an AKM if you wanna trade? And no, before you ask, not my prized WASR.
Hmmm...dunno...pm me details on the AKM.

Don
Pier23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 11:21   #25
Pier23

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakotasdad View Post
Psst... A ball punch is coming your way if you do silly stuff to your Russian SKS...

Do not barney/bubba your SKS, you've been warned.
Well, Im a leave stock kinda guy...I thought the replaceable mag conversion was more "drop-in" than it really is.
Old 04-28-2012, 12:34   #26
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTfam View Post
I would dump that SKS to fund an AK or more mags and ammo. Unless you are a collector and want to pull it out of the safe every once in a while for fun... It is a poor choice for a fighting rifle. Just my opinion... 10 round stripper clips? No thanks.

Of course it's a wonderful Country where we can, in the free States, own what pleases us and I am glad i can own the mags i want for the guns I own, but in all of my research I am having a hard time finding an example of an individual citizen either surviving because their rifle held more than ten rounds or dying because it didn't hold more than ten. I don't think there is anything wrong at all with preparing for what and individual is concerned about, but, on the other hand, people who might choose a lesser capacity rifle don't really have any actual examples that indicate they have made an incorrect choice.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 14:24   #27
Pier23

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavetrain75 View Post

If you want to start hacking up an SKS, find an old Yugo. Aside from the legal issues you will do nothing but destroy the value and make it less reliable. Russians in original condition are a nice collectors piece, modified you'd be lucky to get 60% of the current value.

Ok, so, clearly I know nothing about SKSs...what is FMV for a 1953 unaltered Russian SKS? I think orig purchase price was in the $115 area, and I think that included 20 rounds of ammo...

Where are the Saigas comimg from?

Do the SKSs fall into the same general preference patterns of AKs: Russia, China, Romania then everywhere else...assuming I have the AK order correct...???

A whole world is opening for me. This is fun!
Old 04-28-2012, 17:25   #28
wavetrain75
Useless Member

Russians are pushing $500, I wouldn't pay that but some people will. They will be the highest priced of the common SKSs. A North Korean will be well into the thousands but there's only a handful in the US.

As a rule, the Norincos and Yugos are the most common and have the least collector value, Romanians are the rarest of the commonly available, Albanians are a little bit of an odd ball. Russians are considered the best built and there's no reason they can't be a shooter but should be treated better than a truck gun.

Saigas are a Russian made AK action and available in a variety of calibers all over the 'net and maybe at your local friendly firearms dealer. They have no collector value and endless available mods. I should probably get one some day.
Old 04-28-2012, 20:57   #29
Pier23

Thanks, Wave...nice rundown. i appreciate it.
Old 04-29-2012, 20:33   #30
michael_b
BRC #1492

Quote:

I have an old Russian, any idea of their worth? All matching serial numbers.

Posted from my iPhone

"Compromise on gun-rights? Did Rosa Parks settle for the middle of the bus?"-Mushinto
michael_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 13:05   #31
michael_b
BRC #1492

Quote:
Russians are pushing $500, I wouldn't pay that but some people will. They will be the highest priced of the common SKSs. A North Korean will be well into the thousands but there's only a handful in the US.

As a rule, the Norincos and Yugos are the most common and have the least collector value, Romanians are the rarest of the commonly available, Albanians are a little bit of an odd ball. Russians are considered the best built and there's no reason they can't be a shooter but should be treated better than a truck gun.
$500? Seriously? Wow... I wish I could get find someone to bite on that price. I tried selling my 1952 Russian- excellent condition- for $400 and had interest but no takers.

Posted from my iPhone

"Compromise on gun-rights? Did Rosa Parks settle for the middle of the bus?"-Mushinto
Old 04-30-2012, 19:28   #32
Milhouse58421

My LGS HAD a Russian SKS sitting for a looonnnngggg time at $325. I went in the other day to put $$ down on it to hold it, and it was gone.......tears in my eyes.

Moral: Snooze, you lose......
Milhouse58421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 20:14   #33
michael_b
BRC #1492

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milhouse58421 View Post
My LGS HAD a Russian SKS sitting for a looonnnngggg time at $325. I went in the other day to put $$ down on it to hold it, and it was gone.......tears in my eyes.

Moral: Snooze, you lose......
I wish I could sell mine. They are fun plinking rifles.

Posted from my iPhone

Old 04-30-2012, 22:30   #34
toshbar
Timber Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_b View Post
I wish I could sell mine. They are fun plinking rifles.
2 4 R

toshbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 22:55   #35
Duct Tape

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Don't hurt the Russian!
Duct Tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:51   #36
Pier23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duct Tape View Post
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Don't hurt the Russian!
So the conversion kit I saw on the web to convert the SKS to handle my Glock 9mm mags and ammo would not be a good idea? <ducking>
Old 05-01-2012, 06:55   #37
FireForged
Millenium #3936

Look for a norinco sks that was desiged to take AK mags... The problem with modifying anything- is reliabllity. I wouldnt put a duckbill mag on anything.

Last edited by FireForged; 05-01-2012 at 06:55..
FireForged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 19:44   #38
eyelikeglasses
Hooah, Hooah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pier23 View Post
Hmmm...dunno...pm me details on the AKM.

Don
Unfortunately, I was only joking. I just really want an SKS.
eyelikeglasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 20:35   #39
Pier23

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyelikeglasses View Post
Unfortunately, I was only joking. I just really want an SKS.
<gggg> Steak yesterday, steak tomorrow, never steak today...
Old 05-02-2012, 20:42   #40
eyelikeglasses
Hooah, Hooah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pier23 View Post
<gggg> Steak yesterday, steak tomorrow, never steak today...
Free Beer! (Tomorrow)

Last edited by eyelikeglasses; 05-02-2012 at 20:44..
eyelikeglasses is offline   Reply With Quote