Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-18-2007, 20:36   #1
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Cast Iron cooking

Talk to me about your cast iron recipes.

I have a couple frying pans, but would like to get some dutch ovens.
RWBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 22:28   #2
spero525
HE did it.

I pretty much do all my pan cooking in cast iron...no recipes specific to it (except for the Cajun blackened chicken--requires a super hot cast iron skillet and one must remember to temporarily turn off the smoke alarm ). I'll work on finding the recipe.

Otherwise, I just use cast iron like I would any other skillet/ pot (I love my dutch oven--keeps soup hot for hours after the flame is off). Only difference from other cookware in terms of handling is that I season the cast iron.

"When God shuts a door, don't bang on it!" -Dad
spero525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 22:43   #3
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Spero, I would appreciate your Cajun Blackened Chicken.

I have a feeling I use my pans like you use yours, but I want to do more. What about cooking over fire? In the woods?
RWBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 23:09   #4
spero525
HE did it.

Still looking for the recipe (recently moved = moderate chaos).

I have no personal experience with cooking over an open flame, but it would make perfect sense to me to doso. The only thing is I know there are varying levels in quality, and the lighter cast iron cookware wouldn't hold up as well. My knowledge about specific brands is limited.

Perhaps one of these sites would be useful? I read the first link, scanned the second.

Cooking On An Open Fire

Open Fire Cooking

Old 08-19-2007, 23:48   #5
tat2guy
Silver Membership
NRA Life Member

My wife always preapres cornbread in the cast iron skillets. I'm not sure why, but it does come out good, so I'm not telling her to do otherwise!

I personally make fried chicken in 'em, using the "Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook" recipe, and it comes out great every time. The seret is patience- the chicke WILL stick to the pan at first. When it's ready to turn, however, it releases.Try to turn it too soon and it gets all shredded.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
tat2guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 10:47   #6
spero525
HE did it.

Cajun Blackened Chicken
(Note: most recipes say to do this outside...if you do it inside, open all the windows, turn off the smoke alarm, and be very, very careful )

Cajun seasoning (from store, or your own blend if you have one)
skinless, boneless chicken breasts
olive oil

1) preheat cast iron skillet on high heat until it is very, very hot (do not put any oil or butter in it)
2) preheat oven to 350

3) lightly coat chicken with oil
4) sprinkle Cajun spices on both side of chicken
5) carefully place chicken in skillet, cook for one minute on each side (do this one breast at a time)
6) place in baking dish and bake 30-40 minutes, until done (time varies a bit depending on the thickness of the chicken)

I have my own Cajun seasonings blend...unfortunately that's a separate recipe card. I'll look for it next.

Old 08-23-2007, 18:07   #7
wallyglock

we also use cast iron....

wife does cornbread an it is from a receipe we got about 30 years ago and the original itself is way older than that !
it DOES come out perfect EVERY time !

we have 2 lodge pizza pans and use them on grill for delicious pizza and have also used them for grids to cook other dishes.
we have even cooked lasagna by warming up the cast pizza pan then putting her pan she usually uses in the oven on top of that and cook it like so.
comes in handy in the hot months if you crave lasagna and dont want to heat up your house to light the oven......!

if any one wants the lodge pans they are usually available thru the grill lovers catalog.
we were in the lodge factory outlet store near pidgon forge tenn. a couple of years ago and even they did not stock the pan all year round.

ours have paid for their selves a long time ago !!
Old 03-23-2009, 14:36   #8
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

I decided to dig some good threads out of the past.

I still have my frying pans. I do not have any dutch ovens.
Old 03-23-2009, 14:42   #9
mitchshrader
Deceased

outdoors cast iron is heavy, dirty, sooty, heavy, hard to clean and harder to KEEP clean..

it does however cook nice food. it's not as good as stainless over propane for convenient, low maintenance, and lightweight.

if you want nostalgia type cooking get a 10 or 12 quart dutch oven, that'll do biscuits, stews, beans..

if you want convenient food get some stainless and a 2 burner propane stove. cast iron flunks convenient outdoors, and i own some and like cookin' with it.

but i don't intend to take it to the woods for fun. it's tedious.
Old 04-30-2012, 20:45   #10
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

bump...
Old 05-01-2012, 08:47   #11
alexanderg23

dutch ovens all the way.
love some peach cobler.
just add 2 cans of peaches 1 box of yellow cake mix, put 12 coals on top 7 on bottom, wait 30 min or so
Old 05-01-2012, 08:49   #12
alexanderg23

Old 05-01-2012, 09:08   #13
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

I was looking at this the other day, but wasnt sure if it was worth the money.

Is this something you have and love, or is it very basic?
Old 05-01-2012, 09:16   #14
Glock30Eric
.45 ACP

I cook my iron casts with everything I have. You'll just need to season it right then it will serve you well.
Glock30Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:22   #15
eracer
Where's my EBT?

It's the only way I cook steaks. Fast sear on a white-hot cast iron pan, followed by oven roasting @ 425°F

Sliders. Racquetball-sized patties squashed flat onto a very hot cast iron pan. Cook for two minutes, mound onions, flip, cook another two minutes, then assemble roll, burger, and cheese and cook for additional 3-4 minutes in 400° oven to melt cheese, crisp bun, and finish cooking burger.

Southern-Fried Chicken. Plenty of good recipes out there.

As mentioned by others, an excellent ventilation system is a must.
Matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration; we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There is no such thing as death. Life is a dream, and we're the imagination of ourselves. And now...the weather! ---- Bill Hicks
eracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:33   #16
alwaysshootin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchshrader View Post
outdoors cast iron is heavy, dirty, sooty, heavy, hard to clean and harder to KEEP clean..

it does however cook nice food. it's not as good as stainless over propane for convenient, low maintenance, and lightweight.

if you want nostalgia type cooking get a 10 or 12 quart dutch oven, that'll do biscuits, stews, beans..

if you want convenient food get some stainless and a 2 burner propane stove. cast iron flunks convenient outdoors, and i own some and like cookin' with it.

but i don't intend to take it to the woods for fun. it's tedious.
Damn!

One word "Lodge" when it comes to cast iron it's the be all. Get yourself a dutch oven with legs, and play around with charcoal. It is a skill you have to learn from experimenting. Like Mitch said, it isn't for convenience, it's more of a way of life, or a way of living. Meals in the "wild" are more of climatic build to the ends, the meal. Believe me it takes years to get down, and no one can tell you just how it's done.

Get yourself a chimney, and a bag of Sams Choice charcoal. Place 12 briquets under your dutch oven to heat. Get about 8 ounces of top sirloin, chop up in 1/2" squares, and a whole vidalia onion, and chop it up. About halfway through browning the meat throw the onion in. While that is gong on cube up four red potatoes, two carrots, and a can of corn. Thro them in. Open a paper container of beef stock, some salt, and pepper, pour over ingredients in oven. Resupply charcoal as needed, boil for 1/2 hour. Serve stew, either as a soup, or drain for just the hearty goods. There is a start!
Old 09-30-2012, 20:57   #17
Ferdinandd

I'm a fan of cast iron cooking. I only make stuff it my two ovens that won't mess up the seasoning. I've baked sweet rolls and calzones/strombolis in them, with good results. I can make chicken marsala and sausage with peppers and onions, and all kinds of other good entrees. For anyting too acidic, I use a pot on my travel grill. I have a drum lid that I use with mine to contain the heat and mess. Learning to control temperature is the whole key to this. And this varies with wind and weather. Have fun learning!
Ferdinandd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:52   #18
Nutt51

Lodge all the way, still made in the USA, watch for the
enamel plated, some are foreign.
Secret of cast iron, get it seasoned, never use soap.
Once heated, cast iron holds the heat steady, that's why
it cooks so good.
Best homemade buttermilk biscuits I ever had come out of
a Lodge dutch oven. Our re-enactment unit cook makes the
dough, puts them in a greased pan inside a large dutch oven.
The pan sitting off the bottom of the oven by three or four
small stones about 1/2 inch. Coals under the oven and coals on top. The oven holds in the moisture and they come out moist and browned.
You better believe the guys are all standing around when they come off the fire, with bacon, sausage and jelly at the ready.
It is definitely an art form.
I can make some darn good cornbread in my old black skillet, but biscuit making needs some work.

"I figure that a man's only good for one oath at a time. I made mine to the Confederate States Of America".
"John Wayne", "The Searchers".
Nutt51 is offline   Reply With Quote