SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-11-2012, 21:21   #26
Jackalo626

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meathead9 View Post
No I didn't remove all the sights from my Glocks. I also shoot USPSA/IDPA, and shoot recreationally with them. That being said, if I needed to shoot a threat inside my room like your scenario, I guarantee you I'd never get a proper sight picture. My room is only about 20'x20', and I can definitely point shoot accurately enough inside 7yds.

You're missing my point. I'm not just going to start blasting in the dark just because I can see 3 glowing green dots. Even if it's Low Light, if I can properly identify a threat, I can get an adequate sight picture with black Sevigny Carry sights. Otherwise I'll point shoot. There are so many variables in SD scenarios. We can "what if?" this all day long, but I still don't think night sights are a necessity. Training, situational awareness, and knowing your gun are far more important than glowing sights.

You say they don't provide an advantage to you which is fine but do they hurt anyone?
Jackalo626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 21:26   #27
Jackalo626

Night sights also don't give away your position like a flashlight. There is a time and place for all tools and to have them on you doesn't mean you have to use them all. It is what fits the job best then.
Jackalo626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 22:03   #28
Hour13
Tah-dah!

Flashlight is for making your target visible in low light.

Night sights are for making your sights visible in low light.

I used to feel the same way bud. "I can see my sights good enough against my flashlight beam." And it's true, once you throw that beam out, you can usually make out the sights well enough to make the shot.

But then I picked up a 1911 with Trijicons on it. What a difference! Dry practicing at home in low light, the change was immediate. I didn't need to "find" my sights, they were just there. Acquiring the sight picture became natural, no different than daytime shooting at the range.

Same reason most of us carry with one in the pipe, I run night sights now on all handguns. Going to be adding trijicons to the irons on my "at home" AR as well.

When faced with a fight for your life...

Faster=Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster Rugburn View Post
She can't say stupid stuff with her mouth full of sausage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hour13 View Post
I have no problem charging somebody stark nekid, with a TP tail hanging from my butt... Maybe they'll go to their maker with a smile on their face.
Hour13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 23:21   #29
okietom

I don't think that night sights are a necessity, they are a nicety. The first Glock that I shot many years ago had night sights. A friend brought it by around dusk and we shot it in my back yard. (country home) I loved them. When my carry permit arrives I will most likey make that an addition to my Glock. The shop I bought the gun at will install them for free.
okietom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 00:25   #30
WarEagle 1
Pirate Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyR View Post
True,

I agree with you regarding night sights in personal and home defense. They are, however, very important in both law enforcement and military applications.
This right here ^^.. But also people don't realize how effective night sights are until you're in a lowlight situation.
Old 04-12-2012, 00:56   #31
Glock40man

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarEagle 1 View Post
This right here ^^.. But also people don't realize how effective night sights are until you're in a lowlight situation.
Agreed.
Old 04-12-2012, 01:51   #32
post-apocalyptic
magnifi ba$tard

I think that many would be content to use standard Glock sights if they were still made of steel.

Since they're not, if you're going to be replacing the sights anyway, ya might as well have the advantage of night sights.
Old 04-12-2012, 02:35   #33
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

No gun that I would every carry will be without a set of night sights. They make a heck of a difference especially if you like to do a lot of low light shooting like I do. Try shooting without a set of night sights during a night shoot. Then go to the same shoot with a gun that has a set. You won't ever want to be without them again.

Last edited by NEOH212; 04-12-2012 at 02:35..
NEOH212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:03   #34
TxGlock9
2014 RACE TIME!

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondd2 View Post
Night sights only show you your sights. Night sights can't show you that your potential threat is your kid sneaking back into the house in the middle of the night. Spend a money on a good flashlight instead.
That's not the point. The question wasn't to get a flashlight versus night sights. It's whether the owner should get night sights in addition to his flashlight.
Old 04-12-2012, 05:47   #35
smokintonye
Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4TS&W View Post
I just like 'em!

The TFO's are really cool, but I worry about folks saying the front sight has a tendency to come off during shooting..
Just put a dab of Superglue on the top of the front sight. I did that to mine when I had them, and never had anissue.

-MN PTC Instructor,NRA Instructor
www.sureshottraining.com
smokintonye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:32   #36
Bill Lumberg
BTF Inventor

For ccw, not really a big deal. For home defense, maybe useful. For LE use, indispensable. Depends upon your usage. Having a flashlight with you doesn't have anything to do with night sights, unless you plan on holding the flashlight behind you so you can illuminate your sights. That said, for permittee carry, the ranges at which you would have no other choice but to shoot (no way to retreat) would be such that sights would probably be unecessary anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by truetopath View Post
I have the stock sights on my G27 and shoot just fine with them. The G27 is also my EDC and I always have a flashlight on my person too as part of my CC get up. So low light really isn't an issue for me. So what's the benefit of night sights? Not trying to start a war over stock sights vs. night sights. Just curious about any added benefit by having night sights.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:48   #37

I like the Glock factory sights, they provide a good sight pisture.

I also liked the concept of the XS Big Dot sights, so I replaced the OEM sights with the Big Dots. The fact they were also "night sights" was a happy bonus.

Since the first rule of shooting is "never point a gun at anything you do not wish to destory," I think it's a good idea to be able to see where your gun is pointed ... even in the dark!
153 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:05   #38
John Biltz

I sort of think for EDC flashlights are not that important. Home defense sure but if a mugger pops out at you if you have to pull a flashlight to determine a threat you have probably already lost the fight.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:14   #39
dpadams6

If nothing else. They help you find your gun on nightstand quicker.
dpadams6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:26   #40
Louisville Glocker
Urban Redneck

Night sights make your gun significantly better in low light conditions, in my opinion.

You may never need them.

Is the extra $50-100 bucks a good choice for you? My guess is that if you do someday need them, then it will have been a great investment. If you never need them, then not as good (but your gun is perhaps worth a little more). So it is a gamble. Or, you could think of it as more like insurance.

The question is..."do you feel lucky?"

EDIT: PS, I have 'em for one of my glocks, not the other.

Last edited by Louisville Glocker; 04-12-2012 at 07:27..
Louisville Glocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:33   #41
Z71bill

If you have YOUNG eyes and only shoot outside during day light hours - you don't need night sites.

For all other situations they are worth the extra $.

When I turned 50 I started to notice I don't see as well at night - a little extra glow on my sites is a good thing.

The lighting at the indoor range I shoot at is not that bright - night sites help.
Z71bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:59   #42
AgentM79
Platinum Membership

Night sights are certainly worth the money invested, in that they enable you to have a sighting reference in complete darkness and low-light situations. They will never be a hinderence to your shooting.

In regards to the OP's question, the Glock OEM polymer sights actually DO offer a very decent overall sight picture. The goalpost/dot is easy to pick-up, and the white inlays ARE visible in dim light. The "goalpost" outline in the rear sight works well for me, and I use Glock's OEM steel version of this sight, with a Hi-Viz red front, on one of my G17's. If you (the OP) prefer the white outline rear sight, consider (for durability purposes) getting the steel Glock OEM white outline rear, and a Glock OEM tritium front. That way, you have the best of both worlds.

I'd pass on the TruGlo TFO sights. The damned front pipe always shoots loose sooner or later. These aren't professional quality. Glock OEM tritium sights offer a corrosion resistant finish, and are inexpensive compared to other brands. Trijicon still offers the best quality, though. You get what you pay for. So, I recommed Glock OEM or Trijicon.
Smith & Wesson 13-2, 16-3, 36, 66-3, 681-3, 3000
Tactical Shotgun Club Member #3000
AgentM79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:19   #43
Beanie-Bean

I can do with or without for now, but it sure is nice to have that option available for any added advantage over an attacker.

HD nightstand has TFOs and Crimson Trace laser pointer, just for that extra degree of accuracy.

While reading through this thread, I was thinking about the car I drive--it's a 6-speed manual transmission. Why do you need an automatic transmission? Or big rims? Or tinted windows? Air conditioning?...

If the person carrying their Glock will find themselves with the upper hand against zombies and bad guys because they have night sights installed, then more power to 'em.

Just for the record, all of the weapons in my carry rotation have night sights

Beanie-Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:20   #44
Sgt.K
They Just Work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpadams6 View Post
If nothing else. They help you find your gun on nightstand quicker.
+1 and better to have and not need... .
Sgt.K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:28   #45
mcflyfyter

I'm sorry, but that is a very silly question. If you only "EDC" during daylight hours, and never enter buildings without lots of skylights, then no, you don't need them.
mcflyfyter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:34   #46
kodiakpb

Another reason some change the sights is because they don't like the distraction the stock rear produces with that giant white goal post. They also may want a little more light surrounding the front post. So a quality set of aftermarket sights solves that issue, being night sights becomes an added benny.
kodiakpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 20:37   #47
m814

I have a hard time understanding some of these comments. I look at the comments and it reminds me of things so off the wall it resembles arguments with the anti-gun media. I can't even comprehend how someone would not see the benefits of night sights on a carry gun. Range guns are different, their job is to fire under controlled circumstances.
For the last twenty years I have had night sights on all of my serious carry pieces. This came about in the early 90's when I needed to shoot a coyote that had no fear and was about 15 yards from me. It was right at dusk, the period where eyes haven't adjusted yet. I drew my Browning HP with factory sights and attempted to get a sight picture on the dark animal. With the grayish lighting, black sights, and dark gray/black coyote standing there looking at me, I could not pick up the dang sights. In the moment it took me to decide whether or not I had an acceptable sight picture, he turned and ran off. The next week, I sold the HP, had Trijicons put on both Glock 19s, and the only pistols I have now without tritium sights are either collectible or .22LR. I typically will not carry a pistol without Tritium sights. Now, I prefer the front sight to be brightest or only dot, and actually run a marker over the rear on Trijicons due to the brightness.

These sights are not designed to allow you to shoot when you can't see your hands in front of your face. They are not some miracle target identification laser beam that works magic. What they do is allow you to pick up your sights on a target of any color under any low light condition when you can still see your target. And YES, they are very much worth the 50-100 dollars they cost to me.

Last edited by m814; 05-29-2012 at 07:39..
m814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 23:44   #48
Lindenwood

After getting my Big Dots and experimenting in various light intensities, I realized there are MANY situations in which it is light enough to recognize friend from foe, but still WAY too dark to see non-lit sights.

I EDc a flashlight and keep one next to the gun, but there is obviously a realistic chance that I won't be able to immediately get to both every time.
Lindenwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:18   #49
truetopath

Thanks for all the insight all, it's good to hear the different viewpoints.
truetopath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 11:10   #50
truetopath

Update: Well I went and ordered night sights yesterday and should get them Wednesday to install. I'm looking forward to shooting with them. Thanks for all the input.
truetopath is offline   Reply With Quote