Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-19-2012, 23:16   #1
PlasticGuy

NFA Form 4 Wait Times

I finally got my approval back yesterday on my Surefire 5.56 and 7.62 cans, after 7 1/2 months. It's stupid that I should have to wait that long, but it was worth it. Just a heads up for anybody still waiting.

Mailed August 30, 2011

Approval received April 18, 2012
Old 04-20-2012, 18:17   #2
xXGearheadXx

yeah it's getting ridiculous. I dropped my paperwork for a form1 off at the 24th of January(a tuesday). Chief LEO had it back to me that Friday. ATF received it on the 31st of January (i had delivery confirmation on the envelope) and it didn't go pending until the 8th of March...given their lead times are around 6 months, 2 weeks from pending it looks like i'll be waiting a while. I was hoping to have my suppressor (bought at the beginning of this month) by Christmas but i don't see it happening.
xXGearheadXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 21:48   #3
PlasticGuy

You won't have it by Thanksgiving, but you might have it by Christmas. It just depends on whether they continue to get more backed up. If they can hold the current wait times, you should be okay. If not...
Old 04-21-2012, 09:58   #4
r2kba
Relax

Government likes to spread the misery equally. And IMO this 6 month time frame is intentional.
BIGDAWG #444 / Wheel#444

"I'd rather hunt with Dick Cheney than ride with Ted Kennedy ."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
r2kba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 12:27   #5
ronin.45

I agree. They are keeping the number of employees low to intentionally make us wait. Just like the tax stamp itself, they want to discourage us.
Old 04-22-2012, 04:10   #6
glockaviator

It does make you wonder just what the ATF was doing for that many months. Obviously, they aren't like calling around, investigating the applicant, doing a background check all that time. They probably just use the FBI background check, and if you can buy a gun you get ok'd. And an FBI background check can typically be done in less than a day.

Does anyone that passes the FBI check to buy a firearm fail the ATF check to buy a supressor?

I dunno.
Old 04-24-2012, 17:53   #7
Firecop203

The Internet has caused an NFA explosion. I never knew anything about any of the NFA stuff till I got the internet. By then, it was already after 1986 and prices were rising. Now that the word is out, everyone wants to play the NFA game in one form or another. One sign of progress is that Alabama changed their law to allow SBR's. I'm sure that the date that became effective the wave of paperwork flooded the BATFE examiners.
“Neither cold, nor darkness will deter good people from hastening to the dreadful place to quench the flame. They do it not for the sake of reward or fame; but they have a reward in themselves, and they love one another.”
Benjamin Franklin
Firecop203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 17:54   #8
Bravo 1
CLM Number 143
Serious Infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin.45 View Post
I agree. They are keeping the number of employees low to intentionally make us wait. Just like the tax stamp itself, they want to discourage us.

Well, it is the same fee as it was in 1934.

And those dollars were worth alot more than the current fiat currency.

So maybe, if everybody complains enough they will update the fee to todays dollar.

"Don't toy with me Ernie,I've already dispatched with Mr. Hooper,I've got six armed men stationed outside Big Birds nest,and as for Linda? Well its rather difficult for a deaf woman to hear an assasin approach now isn't it?-Stewy
Bravo 1 is offline   Reply With Quote