Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-01-2012, 11:26   #26
Bren
NRA Life Member

Looked pretty gentle compared to how police K9 trainers treat them.

Seems like a girlfriend trying to get revenge, but a pretty weak attempt.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:03   #27
Mayhem like Me
Semper Paratus

Yup she may be in Trouble ....................And she is civily liable if he is damaged by this Woo hooo

Publication may also constitute the crime of “tampering with private communications,” a misdemeanor. N.Y. Penal Law § 250.25. A person is guilty of this crime when he divulges the contents of a private letter or communication knowing that it has been opened or read. N.Y. Penal Law § 250.25.
Old 05-01-2012, 13:13   #28
HOTHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggarciatx View Post
ths video came to us in CT to get our reactions.
To the OP, do you personally know this girl and trying to get our opinion due to our profession to see if he is unfit?
Call me cynical, but I can see you asking this cause you have a dog in this fight
Cynical,
No dog, found the story to be being blown way out of proportion. In fact it has reached quite a few local radio shows in town, and has become quite the buzz. My reasoning for posting it here was to see if the Deputy's "peers" felt that this would in any way reflect his ability to do his job, or if anyone thought he did in fact have "anger issues". that would reflect on him being an authority figure/role model.

I had made mention earlier that I was also involved in debating the topic on local forums, and my intention was to have the point of view of other LE to add points to those arguments. (I already admitted I like to stir the pot)

Seriously fella's One thing I have discovered here though, there are quite a few people in this forum that assume my intention was to make accusations, when in fact it was quite the opposite. I was all but called a cop hater, and now I'm banging this guy's old lady .Never once did I say anything poorly about the individual, even from the beginning. I guess it must depend on the situation and the type of people you deal with on a regular basis. In my experiences, as long as I'm not out "perpetratin" why would it be assumed that your actions are suspect, or that you have any kind of hidden agenda. I was legitimately asking what your opinion was on the topic, with the intent of using your opinion to make valid points in a debate with another person.
HOTHEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 13:18   #29
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

It's obvious the former GF is pissed because the guy took his Bravia back.

/end]

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters".

"A person who won't reason has no advantage over one who can't reason."

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."

“Ignorance is a lot like alcohol: the more you have of it, the less you are able to see its effect on you.”

Originally Posted by Rooster Rugburn:
Didn't the whole sheepdog thing actually start right here on Glock Talk? A bunch of wannabees bought a bunch of T-shirts and took an oath to defend those who won't defend themselves?
TBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 13:27   #30
msu_grad_121
BOOSH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
Looked pretty gentle compared to how police K9 trainers treat them.
A-friggin-men. I've seen more than one K9 officer and trainer correct a misbehaving or out of control dog in a manner that I as a man wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of. All I saw in this video was him taking hold of the dog by the scruff of the neck, which is where you're supposed to take hold of dogs and cats. Does it look bad? Yes. But as I've said to countless people who freaked out when I picked up a cat or dog that way, "That's how their mothers carry them, how bad could it really be?"

Granted, he was pissed. Guess what? There's no law against being pissed, especially in your own home. Hollering and dropping F bombs? Again, perfectly legal within the correct context. I saw no abuse on the part of the dog owner, only a scorned former girlfriend trying to pander to the masses to screw this guy over in any way she can. Huge surprise there, huh?

I did love how she kept using the word "brutal" when the only video evidence that she can come up with is him grabbing the dog by the scruff. The whole second recording (the one with NO video whatsoever) was beyond useless, but again, the masses tend not to react based on logic and reason, only emotion.

Do I think he should lose his job? Not based on this video. Hell, I don't think this should even have been brought up with regard to his profession. I might even write an open letter to the Chief to that effect (I've got time - it's my day off). Do I think it will have some bearing on his work based on the outcry by the community? Undoubtedly. Too bad, too.
Old 05-01-2012, 13:31   #31
txleapd
Hook 'Em Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOTHEAD View Post
Cynical,
No dog, found the story to be being blown way out of proportion. In fact it has reached quite a few local radio shows in town, and has become quite the buzz. My reasoning for posting it here was to see if the Deputy's "peers" felt that this would in any way reflect his ability to do his job, or if anyone thought he did in fact have "anger issues". that would reflect on him being an authority figure/role model.

I had made mention earlier that I was also involved in debating the topic on local forums, and my intention was to have the point of view of other LE to add points to those arguments. (I already admitted I like to stir the pot)

Seriously fella's One thing I have discovered here though, there are quite a few people in this forum that assume my intention was to make accusations, when in fact it was quite the opposite. I was all but called a cop hater, and now I'm banging this guy's old lady .Never once did I say anything poorly about the individual, even from the beginning. I guess it must depend on the situation and the type of people you deal with on a regular basis. In my experiences, as long as I'm not out "perpetratin" why would it be assumed that your actions are suspect, or that you have any kind of hidden agenda. I was legitimately asking what your opinion was on the topic, with the intent of using your opinion to make valid points in a debate with another person.
Forgive us for being a little touchy. We get an influx of people asking us to question other officers, mixed with a healthy dose of bashing. We tend to be leery of such threads, and sometimes question motivations.

All we ask for is the benefit of the doubt. No reason not to extend a little of the same. Let's all cut HOTHEAD a little slack here...
1911 Club #75
Kahr Club #286
Lone Star Glockers #919

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud
txleapd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 13:45   #32
ancient_serpent

I don't like it when someone tries to sell me on a biased point of view.
This video did little other than piss me off. Waste of time with the sappy cry baby song and sniveling comments.
The guy seems a little like a ******, but no more so than a lot of other people. Where is the abuse?
ancient_serpent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 14:23   #33
Ohio Copper

Didn't read much past the first page. She sounds like a vindictive ***** who is doing everything she can to ruin him.
Ohio Copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 14:24   #34
pipedreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL Airedale View Post
I'm a dog lover and have spent a lot of time training dogs and going to dog training classes. I mean classes that are taught by professionals.

I saw no abuse in this video. So he used the "f" word. He threatened to beat the dog. Saying it and doing it are two different things. The dog didn't seem to care.

If he'd ever actually abused the dog physically, the dog would have behaved very differently.

He grabbed the dog by the scruff and put her down. She actually fell down when he scruffed her. He didn't have to wrestle her down, indicating to me that he'd done it before.

This is a humane way of showing a dog who is boss. I've done it and my 125 pound wife has done it. We have large terriers and they can be headstrong. It's a lot better than hitting a dog.

The guy was in a bad mood and that is not the best time to train a dog. That doesn't tell me that he is not fit to be a police officer or own a dog. He's human and anyone can have a bad day.

The dog also seems to have an advocate in the household. Abuse the dog and he is going to have to deal with the woman too.
Rather than a lengthy post I will just say this post was pretty much right on. It was a young dog but maybe the training should have started sooner with it being a Rottie. I have owned, showed, and trained several Rotties and they respond to a gentle voice better than a harsh yell that just confuses them. If he wants a good dog he needs to gets some good professional training.

Never look down on anybody, unless you're helping them up.
pipedreams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 14:32   #35
L-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOTHEAD View Post
I'm asking if from this video, and what information you have of the back story, you think there should be a public outcry for this individual to loose his job.
Whoever posted this did a great job playing on everyone's emotions. Clearly they did an outstanding hatchet job on the Deputy.

Nonetheless, you cannot remove someone from a civil service position because you do not like them, or you disagree philosophically with how they live their life, or you do not like their relationship with their girlfriend or pet. Instead, the law requires you to demonstrate that they have violated the law, or the policies of their department, or the direct orders of a supervisor.

In response to you question as to whether the Deputy should lose his job, I must first ask you a question. Can you please point out what laws, department policies or direct orders this individual has violated and how he did so? You cannot be generic. You will need to cite the specific law and carefully articulate how he met the elements of the violation. You will need to do this because this is what will need to be established in a civil service appeals hearing in order to sustain his firing. If you are unable to establish this, then there is no basis for taking his job away.
L-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 14:55   #36
NYcarry
Banana!Banana!

I don't see anything on the local news sites here about it.
NYcarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 15:55   #37
DaBigBR
No Infidels!

I agree that the video is clearly extremely biased, self-serving, and vindictive.

The video provides absolutely zero context to what it shows. My completely amateur opnion is that he's acutally probably not being firm enough with the dog, or has not been in the past. The cussing and swearing means a lot more to you and I than it does to the dog, who is probably only getting "angry" out of it, and not any real direction. Holding the dog down on her back and telling her "no" is a common and accepted training practice, too. It helps establish and maintain dominance.

-David Simon in "Homicide"
DaBigBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 16:10   #38
Mayhem like Me
Semper Paratus

At least he did'nt blade...
Old 05-01-2012, 16:18   #39
HOTHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by txleapd View Post
Forgive us for being a little touchy. We get an influx of people asking us to question other officers, mixed with a healthy dose of bashing. We tend to be leery of such threads, and sometimes question motivations.

All we ask for is the benefit of the doubt. No reason not to extend a little of the same. Let's all cut HOTHEAD a little slack here...
Thanks, No harm no foul, I completedly understand. I by no means felt as if anyone was rude. I will say that my first post in CT will be memorable, and would like to say howdy to all and thanks for the input.
HOTHEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 16:18   #40
SGT HATRED

I would consider myself a dog lover, but what I saw in this video doesn't alarm me as much as if I had seen him actually strike the dog, which needs to be done sometimes to a certain extent. If someone was recording some of the things I say to my dog (which more often is just a threat) I would look just as bad. Dogs need to know who's the pack leader so by forcing them on the ground and using an angry voice is acceptable IMO. And lets remember dogs don't understand english so the cursing is moot.

The fact that this guy is leo doesn't really matter to me much. As much as I don't care for the police it doesn't negate that they have stressful jobs and can get angry with loved ones or pets in their off hours. So all in all this seems like someone is blowing the situation out of proportion. Maybe said person is a member of PETA?
SGT HATRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 16:54   #41
txleapd
Hook 'Em Up

Said person is an ex-girlfriend.... Actually worse than PETA.
1911 Club #75
Kahr Club #286
Lone Star Glockers #919

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud
txleapd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 17:07   #42
SGT HATRED

Maybe in some cases but you gotta admit PETA is pretty bad...
SGT HATRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 17:29   #43
msu_grad_121
BOOSH

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT HATRED View Post
Maybe in some cases but you gotta admit PETA is pretty bad...
I dunno, PETA at least believes they have some greater good they serve, even though they are misguided. This ***** is doing nothing more than trying to tear down her ex out of spite and vindictiveness.

And let's not forget: Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned. Funny they don't have a quote like that for PETA...
Old 05-01-2012, 19:57   #44
4949shooter

It looks like the GF knew the relationship was in the dumps and set him up.

Okay...I saw nothing "brutal." The guy's actions are pretty much what you would have to do to establish dominance, as has already been mentioned. Grabbing by the scruff is what the K-9 mother will do to her pups. This puts the dog in an inferior position, so the dog knows he/she is not the boss, and the owner is. Also, the dog being placed on its back puts it in a compromising position as well. Make the dog feel like it is the less dominant of the two. Think like a dog and you should get results. These methods work with my 86 pound Doberman.

That having been said, this owner needs to attend some EAP/anger management classes. If this tape were referred to the sheriff/police chief he most likely (and should) be referred to EAP. I would also like to know what type of complaint record he has on his department.
Old 05-01-2012, 23:20   #45
scottydl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
Seems like a girlfriend trying to get revenge, but a pretty weak attempt.
That pretty much says it all.
scottydl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 23:35   #46
countsk

Usually I'm the first on the scene when you have an out of control "Barney". Kicked a few out of the military who have went on to become "successful" cops. However, this isn't or wouldn't be my technique for training a dog but I don't think we can equate this to being a bad police officer. Next topic for dicussion.

Disclaimer - I come from a long line of miltary and cops (some both) and we enjoy busting each others junk. "Hey, didn't I chapter your *#% back in '95 and now your're writing me a ticket." "Be nice to even the bad ones but remember if you can't hack it in the military you probably won't work out as a LEO either. It's the flash to bang in between that sucks for the rest of us."
countsk is offline   Reply With Quote