Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2012, 09:29   #1
ChiefWPD
Senior Member
 
ChiefWPD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Wellfleet MA
Posts: 3,392
Question on which IPad 3 to buy

Im planning on buying an IPad 3 within the next few months. Ive done a bit of research (mostly YouTube videos and some information I located on the web) but wonder if any of you guys could direct me to a place that I could use to learn useful information about which variant to purchase.

I just recently became aware of the ATT/Verizon variants. Im unsure as to how much memory to purchase, whether I should buy the 4G option and what apps I should look to buy.

In regard the last question, I realize this is sort of like asking how high is up. Id like access to the internet of course, also mapping software (stand alone from the internet if possible), plus a reasonably competent office program (word processing and spreadsheet, both compatible with MS system computers).


Thanks!
__________________
Who the hell is Balko?
ChiefWPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:31   #2
Drjones
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: CA, just outside the United States
Posts: 17,912
Blog Entries: 1
Send a message via AIM to Drjones


This depends completely on you, your needs/desires, intentions with the device, etc.

IMO, the iPad is pretty much useless without internet, for all but the most basic users. No internet = no email, no maps, can't download apps or books, etc. Yes, an increasing number of places have wifi, but then you have to deal with is it locked, what's the passcode, is it slow & crappy, etc. etc. Way too much hassle IMO, but again it depends.

If all you're doing is sitting at home reading GT, then by all means, save the $129 & get the wifi only. But if you move around or travel at all & plan on taking the iPad with you, you'll at some point probably regret not getting the 4G version.

I've had the original iPad, got it soon as it came out, and now have the iPad 2.

I use it for email, calendar, task management primarily, but also read a ton of news & books on it. It's great for road trips as a map/GPS. Can't use it as a road map in the car without 4G.

As for size, again it depends, but I'd steer you to at least the 32GB model. I have a 16 and my next iPad is going to be at least 32, maybe 64. Keep in mind that due to the new retina display, the size of apps themselves is increasing, in some cases significantly. So forget about movies & music, just the basic apps you'll want are going to take up more space.

If you think you'll want to load any movies or music onto it, with a smaller capacity you'll obviously be more limited as to the number of songs/movies you can keep, and you'll find yourself shuffling stuff on & off more frequently. Again, a hassle, IMO.

But again it depends on you & your needs. Hope that's helpful....
__________________
The danger to America is not Barack Obama, but a citizenry capable of entrusting a man like him with the Presidency.
Drjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:32   #3
Drjones
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: CA, just outside the United States
Posts: 17,912
Blog Entries: 1
Send a message via AIM to Drjones


Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefWPD View Post
In regard the last question, I realize this is sort of like asking how high is up. Id like access to the internet of course, also mapping software (stand alone from the internet if possible), plus a reasonably competent office program (word processing and spreadsheet, both compatible with MS system computers).


Thanks!

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1418510
__________________
The danger to America is not Barack Obama, but a citizenry capable of entrusting a man like him with the Presidency.
Drjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 13:31   #4
ChiefWPD
Senior Member
 
ChiefWPD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Wellfleet MA
Posts: 3,392
Thanks guys!
__________________
Who the hell is Balko?
ChiefWPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 15:54   #5
michael_b
BRC #1492
 
michael_b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Kansas
Posts: 831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drjones View Post
This depends completely on you, your needs/desires, intentions with the device, etc.

IMO, the iPad is pretty much useless without internet, for all but the most basic users. No internet = no email, no maps, can't download apps or books, etc. Yes, an increasing number of places have wifi, but then you have to deal with is it locked, what's the passcode, is it slow & crappy, etc. etc. Way too much hassle IMO, but again it depends.

If all you're doing is sitting at home reading GT, then by all means, save the $129 & get the wifi only. But if you move around or travel at all & plan on taking the iPad with you, you'll at some point probably regret not getting the 4G version.

I've had the original iPad, got it soon as it came out, and now have the iPad 2.

I use it for email, calendar, task management primarily, but also read a ton of news & books on it. It's great for road trips as a map/GPS. Can't use it as a road map in the car without 4G.

As for size, again it depends, but I'd steer you to at least the 32GB model. I have a 16 and my next iPad is going to be at least 32, maybe 64. Keep in mind that due to the new retina display, the size of apps themselves is increasing, in some cases significantly. So forget about movies & music, just the basic apps you'll want are going to take up more space.

If you think you'll want to load any movies or music onto it, with a smaller capacity you'll obviously be more limited as to the number of songs/movies you can keep, and you'll find yourself shuffling stuff on & off more frequently. Again, a hassle, IMO.

But again it depends on you & your needs. Hope that's helpful....
+1. Pretty much right on.

I rarely use the 3G on my original 16GB iPad, but when you need it, it's great to have.

Since you pay by month you aren't locked into a contract. Pay for a month when you need it, and set it to not auto renew.

As for storage, again I agree. They shouldn't even make an iPad with less than 32GBs of storage.

Get as much storage as you can afford if you plan on keeping it a long time. You can't add any so you get one shot at it.

As for shuffling things on and off frequently, if you set up iTunes right that isn't a big hassle, it'll do your content management for you for the most part. Again, the apps have grown in size quite a bit with the high res artwork that's now required. If you plan on traveling a lot with it, and plan on storing movies, music, books, audio books, etc. go ahead and get 64GB.

Posted from my iPhone
__________________
"The thing about quotes on the Internet is you cannot confirm their validity"- Abraham Lincoln

"Compromise on gun-rights? Did Rosa Parks settle for the middle of the bus?"-Mushinto
michael_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 20:01   #6
Drjones
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: CA, just outside the United States
Posts: 17,912
Blog Entries: 1
Send a message via AIM to Drjones


Forgot to add that both my iPads have been 3G models, I've had an unlimited data plan since the day I bought the original iPad, and I've never, ever regretted for a second spending the extra money for the 3G hardware and data plan.

In fact, I couldn't imagine having the wifi only model....I honestly would have no use for it.

And again, I don't regret getting the 16, but I've definitely outgrown it. Not getting the iPad 3, will almost certainly get iPad 4 next year, and it will be at least 32, maybe 64 as I said above.
__________________
The danger to America is not Barack Obama, but a citizenry capable of entrusting a man like him with the Presidency.
Drjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 20:18   #7
cgwahl
Sheriffs a near
 
cgwahl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: CA
Posts: 11,249
I think the data plan ones include a GPS. If you don't plan on using the GPS, it may be worth considering not getting a 4G one since you'd be surprised how many businesses offer free wifi.

It's not just coffee shops anymore. McDonalds, Home Depot, etc. Not to mention possibly using your phone as a hot spot or for tethering. The only issue of course is having to stop and connect to use it.

I currently use a smart phone without data (used to have it, but switched to a pay by the minute plan without data). I admit, it was hard at first not always being able to pull stuff up whenever I felt like it. But I got used to it. Particularly since I am near a wifi source at least 90% of my day. Work and home being the majority of the time and being near a wifi source like Starbucks or McDonalds the few times I just have to get something off of the internet elsewhere. Also, Google Maps offers a caching ability where if you map out your route, you can then cache it so you don't need a data plan to get from a to b. Of course, if you get the non-3G/4G version, that won't be a concern anyhow.
__________________
The irony of the information age is that we can't necessarily trust all the information.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by cgwahl; 05-02-2012 at 21:55..
cgwahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 20:29   #8
xidica
Senior Member
 
xidica's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 175
I have the 64gb wifi only version and it has gps, you just won't be able to navigate or look up new locations or routes without wifi somewhere. Doesn't matter much to me, since I use the iPhone if I need to get some directions.
__________________
"An amateur practices until he can get it right, a professional practices until he can't get it wrong."
xidica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:36   #9
Hooba
Senior Member
 
Hooba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Indiana
Posts: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by xidica View Post
I have the 64gb wifi only version and it has gps, you just won't be able to navigate or look up new locations or routes without wifi somewhere. Doesn't matter much to me, since I use the iPhone if I need to get some directions.
The wifi only version does not have GPS. Here is an interesting read on it.
http://www.macworld.com/article/1159...ion_works.html
__________________
◄Hooba►
Hooba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 17:00   #10
xidica
Senior Member
 
xidica's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 175
Haven't read the article, but mine has location services and identifies where I am on the map within a few hundred feet when enabled. Good enough for me.
__________________
"An amateur practices until he can get it right, a professional practices until he can't get it wrong."
xidica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 22:22   #11
Low_Speed
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 92
Just a suggestion but always get the one with 3 or 4G access. Yes wifi is at a lot of places but lot of places have secured their access points and refuse to give the password out. Also, if you use Pandora, Netflix of other such apps while traveling then wifi only isn't as useful. On long trips I use Pandora all of the time. 4g and 3G access also comes in handy when using GPS apps that have turn by turn directions. The wifi only units do not have the built in compass.
Low_Speed is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:21.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 681
189 Members
492 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31