Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-24-2012, 06:19   #121
BCR
BIGASS!!!!

What kind of harness do you have for your sled?

PAIN IS MY BEST FRIEND.
BCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 19:33   #122
S.O.Interceptor
Khem-Adam

Wednesday 04-25-2012

Squat(deload):
45 -5x3
95 x5
127.5 x10
157.5 x10
190 x10

I was so sore going into this workout it was unreal. My legs were on fire, but somehow I managed 10 reps on all 3 sets. I had some slight knee soreness during set 1, but I worked it out and it felt fine afterward.

Bench:
45- 10x2
95 x5
125 x3
147.5 x5
170 x5
192.5 x11

This was a horrible shaky session. After 170 I wasn't sure I could get more than 5 at 192.5. But I managed to get 11, which is what I had the last time I tried it. It wasn't as easy, smooth, or solid, and I probably should've stopped at 8 or 9, but I got them.

Dumbbell Press w/ Fat Gripz:
45s -12x3
50s -6x2

I hate Fat Gripz so much. And I love to hate them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCR View Post
What kind of harness do you have for your sled?
It's the one that came with it. It's a nylon strap, 10-12' long, with a carabiner on the end. It clips to the end of the sled. It has 2 adjustable shoulder straps and a chest strap. It's made to pull the sled for sprints, but sometimes I put it on backward and do drags with it.
And if you have to go H-2-H, unload your holster gun first and rely on your concealed BUG, so that if the nut-job gets your holster gun it will be empty.
S.O.Interceptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 21:43   #123
S.O.Interceptor
Khem-Adam

Friday 04-27-2012

Squat(deload):
45 -5x3
95 x5
127.5 x10
157.5 x8
190 x6

My legs felt much better today, but I backed off a few reps so I would be well rested for deadlifts.

Deadlift(standard stance):
135 x3
185 x2
225 x1
250 x5
287.5 x5
327.5 x6

These did not go well. Every rep at every weight felt heavy as hell. I failed rep#7 badly.

Deadlift(sumo):
327.5 x1
350 x1

I decided to try these again. It didn't go well. I really really wish I could sumo deadlift, but I can't. I suck at it. 350 nearly killed me. So I went back to.......

Deadlift(standard):
350 x1
385 -FAIL

350 was much easier with the standard stance than sumo. So I got greedy and decided to try for a PR. Bad decision, I didn't get halfway up and it really frustrated me.

My deadlift sucks badly. Assuming I get through this cycle, I'm going to drop to 5lbs increment increases and add some extra volume each set.

I may also try doing a de-load deadlift earlier in the week just like I do for the squat and see what happens.

Dumbbell Bench w/ Fat Gripz:
55s - 15 x3

These went well. I decided to lower the sets and add more reps. Those 5 extra reps at the end really made a difference. I was going to try 60s or 65s for a few reps, but these wore me out.
And if you have to go H-2-H, unload your holster gun first and rely on your concealed BUG, so that if the nut-job gets your holster gun it will be empty.
Old 04-30-2012, 18:49   #124
S.O.Interceptor
Khem-Adam

Monday 04-30-2012

Another crappy day in the gym. Once again I had a lot of work to do around the house and cars this weekend. I spent 8 hours under a car Sunday, in awkward positions and my back was killing me last night and this morning. I've also lost a few pounds lately(unintentionally). It showed.

Squat:
45- 5x3
95 x5
135 x5
170 x3
205 x1
222.5 x3
255 x3
285 x4

These were crap. After feeling alright during warmups, the actual sets were garbage. By 255 I was squatting high and with terrible form. I was exhausted. I managed to pull it together for 285 and at least squat to depth, but every rep was ugly as hell. My form broke down badly. I was hoping to better my performance from the last time I tried 285, but barely got back to where I was.

Press:
45 -10x2
65 x5
85 x3
105 x1
122.5 x3
140 x3
157.5 x4
157.5 x2

That's not a typo, I did 157.5 twice. These were horrible too. Even the warmups were rough. By 157.5 I could barely budge it. I managed 4 weak, slow, grinding reps, and failed #5. I was so mad that a couple of minutes later I tried again, determined to better my performance. No amount of anger made the bar move any faster and I barely got 2.

Power Cleans:
145 -5x3

These were the only bright spot in an otherwise bleak day. I widened my stance and grip some, and it really helped. My reps felt and looked much better.

Power Clean & Press:
145 - 1x2

I decided to try these. I had heard a lot of people say they press better after cleaning the weight due to the way they catch the bar. Apparently it prepares them to press better than taking it off a rack. Not for me. My grip has to be so much wider for the clean than for the press that it didn't work well. On the 1st try I pressed from the clean grip, and it barely moved. On the 2nd attempt I adjusted my grip on the chest, and it was slightly better, but not great.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:20   #125
BCR
BIGASS!!!!

In regards to your Sumo deads, you may want to give them a chance. Do they physically hurt you? Or are you just not as strong at them?

I originally pulled Conv, but soon went to sumo and stayed that way literally for years without ever trying conv again.

But sumo got stale after a while and i figured conv pulls would help in the long run.

Conv pulls were terrible at first. I had to drop the weights down and concentrate on form and swallow my pride. It sucked at first.

But now my conv pulls are almost on par with my old sumo records, and I never thought that was possible.

PAIN IS MY BEST FRIEND.
Old 05-04-2012, 00:53   #126
S.O.Interceptor
Khem-Adam

Thursday 05-03-2012

Today was a combined workout. The main 5/3/1 lifts from Wednesday and Friday with no accessory work. It's been a hectic week, it's going to get worse, and I had to squeeze in what I could.

Deadlift:
135 x5
185 x3
225 x1
250 x1
270 x3
302.5 x3
347.4 x5

These were much better than last week. I managed 5 good quality reps, and had some left in the tank for more, but was satisfied with meeting my goal, and called it quits.

Bench:
45 -20x2
95 x5
135 x5
160 x3
182.5 x3
205 x8

As usual my bench started off shaky and then came together in the end. Again I could've gotten more reps but I met my goal and called it quits on a high note.

In the near future I may be going back to only 2 days per week due to work and family obligations. 3 and 4 days per week were okay part of the time, but missing a day really threw me off, and it happens too frequently. I figure on a 2 day schedule I can be a lot more flexible.(I can lift M/W, or M/Th, Tu/F, etc) I'll probably do squat/bench on day 1 and press/deads on day 2. Both days will hopefully be longer sessions that will allow me to throw some accessory work in at the end.

Quote:
In regards to your Sumo deads, you may want to give them a chance. Do they physically hurt you? Or are you just not as strong at them?

I originally pulled Conv, but soon went to sumo and stayed that way literally for years without ever trying conv again.

But sumo got stale after a while and i figured conv pulls would help in the long run.

Conv pulls were terrible at first. I had to drop the weights down and concentrate on form and swallow my pride. It sucked at first.

But now my conv pulls are almost on par with my old sumo records, and I never thought that was possible.
I guess they don't "hurt" per say, but they're definitely more stressful on the body to me. It's hard to explain. And they're definitely harder. A 300lbs sumo dead feels like a 400lbs dead. I may try to find a way to throw in some lighter weight sumo deads and try to work my way up.
Old 05-04-2012, 06:19   #127
BCR
BIGASS!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.O.Interceptor View Post
I guess they don't "hurt" per say, but they're definitely more stressful on the body to me. It's hard to explain. And they're definitely harder. A 300lbs sumo dead feels like a 400lbs dead. I may try to find a way to throw in some lighter weight sumo deads and try to work my way up.
I was in the same boat, just reverse of you.

Conv deads felt akward and very weak.

So I started working them in after my sumo pulls. I'd do my sumo pulls, then drop weight, and do some conv pulls.

If I recall, my conv deads were well over 100lbs under my sumo deads. Now they are almost on par.

So you just have to ease in to it very slowly.

PAIN IS MY BEST FRIEND.
Old 05-07-2012, 19:08   #128
S.O.Interceptor
Khem-Adam

Monday 05-07-2012

Cycle 8 Week 3

A pretty good day, especially since I got pretty beat up this weekend grappling with friends. I cut my knee open and was worried about it while squatting, but I was able to survive it.

Squat:
45- 5x3
95 x5
135 x5
170 x3
205 x1
237.5 x5
270 x3
302.5 x3

These went really well. I was sucking wind after warmups so I was a little concerned, but I nailed every rep of every set. I actually had 1 more rep in the gas tank at 302.5, but I met my goal, felt good doing it, so I called it quits.

Press:
45 -10 x2
5 x5
85 x3
105 x1
120 x1
132.5 x5
147.5 x3
165 x2

These were going really well and should have gone better, but I hit my chin on rep#2 of 165 and it really threw me off badly. I lost balance and couldn't recover. I failed rep #3. I think I could've gotten it if I hadn't hit my chin.

Quote:
I was in the same boat, just reverse of you.

Conv deads felt akward and very weak.

So I started working them in after my sumo pulls. I'd do my sumo pulls, then drop weight, and do some conv pulls.

If I recall, my conv deads were well over 100lbs under my sumo deads. Now they are almost on par.

So you just have to ease in to it very slowly.
Depending on how my schedule is coming up, I may add some sumo deads and see how they go.
Old 05-09-2012, 17:59   #129
S.O.Interceptor
Khem-Adam

Wednesday 05-09-2012

Squat(deload):
45 -5x3
95 x5
127.5 x10
157.5 x10
190 x10

Bench:
45 -20x2
95 x5
135 x3
155 x1
170 x5
192.5 x3
217.5 x6

These went alright. The first few sets were shaky which worried me. And 217.5 was shaky and slow as hell, but I managed 6 fairly good looking reps. I couldn't have gotten #7, but I met my goal.

Dumbbell Press:
45s -12, 12, 15

I realized lately that I have developed a bad habit on all of my presses of stopping short on the descents and short-stroking my reps. So lately I've been making sure to come all the way down on each rep. It made all the difference on Monday during my barbell press and today. It really hammered my shoulders and triceps, something that had been missing lately. I can't get as many reps in the press this way, but it's better in the long run.
Old 05-11-2012, 19:27   #130
S.O.Interceptor
Khem-Adam

Friday 05-11-2012

FINALLY!!!! I FINISHED CYCLE 8!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And it went great!!

Squat(deload):
45 -5x3
95 x5
127.5 x5
157.5 x5
190 x5

My lower back was really sore today so I took it easy and only did 5 reps each set to save a little for deadlifting.

Deadlift:
135 x5
185 x5
225 x1
250 x1
287.5 x5
327.5 x3
365 x3-REP PR!!!!!
385 x1 -10lbs PR!!!!!

Finally, deadlifting went the way I've been needing it to. All strong sets and reps. I went for 3 at 365 and got it. I could've gotten at least 1 more but I wanted to take a shot at a new PR so I saved a little gas. All 3 reps were decent speed. 385 felt like a grinder that took forever, but video shows that it was average speed. I probably could've pulled 405, but my recent failures taught me to be more conservative and be happy with any progress, so I went for 10lbs and now I'm happy.

Dumbbell Bench:
55s -15, 13, 13

Much like my presses, I've noticed lately that I have the tendency to short stroke my dumbbell bench reps, so today I focused on going all the way down and taking a decent pause before pressing. It made a huge difference.

I think I'm going to up the weight 5lbs on all dumbbell exercises next cycle.

Now onto a much needed de-load (or maybe an un-load week, I haven't decided) before pressing on to all new PRs. Hopefully next cycle won't take 7 weeks to complete.

Last edited by S.O.Interceptor; 05-11-2012 at 19:30..
Old 05-13-2012, 06:12   #131
BCR
BIGASS!!!!

Way to go!

I'm confident you can pull 405, considering the work you did prior to your 385 PR.

PAIN IS MY BEST FRIEND.
Old 07-23-2012, 21:13   #132
S.O.Interceptor
Khem-Adam

Today I went to a gym full of hardcore lifters and joined. I loved the convenience of my garage but I wanted to give lifting with others a try.

Unfortunately I did not plan this very well. I was sunburned and exhausted from the weekend, so my workout was horrible. I got only the minimum prescribed reps and barely finished those.

FYI, I am going to give the 5/3/1 Full Body template a go again as long as my schedule allows it. I'll be lifting M/W/F.

Squat:
45 -5x3
135 x5
165 x5
195 x3
215 x5
245 x5
275 x5
275 x1

These were horrible. I was sucking wind during warmups and it never got better. I wanted to hit 7 reps on the last set but it wasn't happening. I did 1 more rep after racking to check for depth on camera. There was some question at first.

Press:
45 x10
75 x5
90 x5
105 x3
115 x5
135 x5
150 x5

Again, horrible. I struggled with 135 and barely for 150 up 5 times. I may need to test my max and go down in weight as I haven't done much pressing in a while.

I'll be updating my log more regularly now.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:08   #133
S.O.Interceptor
Khem-Adam

Bench:
45 -20x2
95 x5
115 x5
140 x3
150 x5
175 x5
195 x8

These did not go as well as I had hoped. I figured I'd easily get 10+ reps at 195, but I found a weakness at my new gym; narrow benches. It was hard keeping my shoulders on the 9.5-10" bench. I spent more energy balancing than lifting.

Dumbbell Rows:
70s -5x5 per arm

These did not go as well as I had envisioned. I figured I'd easily get 10 per set, but it wasn't happening.

Glute-Ham Raises:
bodyweight -10x3

I've never had the opportunity to do these before. They killed me. Nothing else to say about them.

At this gym there is so much I can do that I've never had the chance to do, that I find myself wanting to experiment with a lot of stuff between sets. I'm losing focus. So I'm going to rethink what I need to do, what will help, and the things I want to try, then prioritize them and fit them into my schedule.
Old 07-28-2012, 14:44   #134
S.O.Interceptor
Khem-Adam

Deadlift:
135 x5
225 x3
255 x5
295 x5
335 x7

I did not plan for this trip to the gym very well. I forgot my knee socks so their bar almost stripped my shins to the bone. Then my shorts were a horribly tacky material which caught the bar badly, making it hard to pull past the knee. I was lucky I was able to do 7. If I had been prepared I probably could've gotten 10.

Dumbbell Press:
40s -10x3
45s -5x2

These went really well. I was going to do 2 more sets with the 40s, but one of the "bros" in the gym grabbed them when I wasn't looking and took them over to where he was doing his "circuit training" that involved about 15 useless exercises.

Next week I am adjusting my lifts slightly.
Old 07-30-2012, 19:46   #135
S.O.Interceptor
Khem-Adam

Squat:
45 -5x3
135 x5
165 x5
190 x3
230 x3
260 x3
290 -1x2

225 x5

These were horrible. I couldn't even get the prescribed minimum reps. Since my meet I've been working on keeping my back angle up and not letting my chest dip. The squats may have been USAPL legal, but there were ugly. I've been working with a very strong guy who is a pretty good coach at these things. He watched me spot and immediately spotted weaknesses. He said that my lower back appeared weak and that I tend to baby it. He's right since I hurt my back my form has changed a lot. He also noticed my lack of hamstring involvement while squatting. So I've widened my stance a little and am working on my hams and lower back. So far this has meant quite a drop in the weight I can handle. 290 felt like a max so I am going to adjust my training weight accordingly and work back up.

Romanian deadlifts;
135 -5x10

I did these just to get used to the motion and will be adding them in with heavier weight soon.

Ham Glute Raises:
10 x5

By the time I got to these I wanted to die. My legs and ass were on fire.
Old 08-01-2012, 19:44   #136
S.O.Interceptor
Khem-Adam

Squat:
45 -5x3
135 x5
165 x5
195 x5

Clean & Press:
45 -10x2
95 x5
115 x3
125 x3
140 x3
160 x2 +1

These did not go as well as I had hoped, but I knew there was that chance. I haven't done much pressing in a while and I haven't done many cleans either. I failed rep #3 twice, put it down, took a minute, and struggled through 1 more rep.

Dumbbell Press:
40s - x10, 10, 10, 8, 6

These were obviously pretty tough.
Old 08-01-2012, 20:21   #137
California Jack

SOI, you rock.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:05   #138
Glock30Eric
.45 ACP

Yesterday: 3x 10 high burpees, pull ups, and air squat for warm up. (Over 50) 3x clean and jerk #165. (18) 3x deadlift #225.

Sweated as hell.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Glock30Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 11:37   #139
S.O.Interceptor
Khem-Adam

Bench:
45 x20
95 x5
120 x5
140 x3
160 x3
185 x3
210 x5

These were okay. I'm still not used to these narrow little benches where my shoulder blades fight for dominance and push each other off the side every rep. I wanted 6+ at 210, but the 5 I got were decent.

Deadlift:
160 x5
195 x5
235 x3
275 x3
315 x3
355 x4

375 x1

These did not go so well. It all felt much heavier than it should've. I wanted 6 reps at 355 but my form was horrible and each pull was twice as hard as it should've been. Afterward I recorded 375 and it looked real good. I took a lot more time to set up and it was how I wanted my set to be.
Old 08-06-2012, 22:00   #140
S.O.Interceptor
Khem-Adam

I've been in kind of a funk lately squatting. My work/sleep/food schedule has been crazy lately and my lifting schedule and effectiveness have suffered. So I decided to start over on a new cycle of 5/3/1 in my squats.

Squats-max test:
45 -5x3
135 x3
225 x2
275 x1
315 x1

This wasn't a true max. I can and have done more, but I didn't like how ugly my form had gotten. This was all I think I could've done with my chest up properly without a lot of form breakdown and good-mornings.

So I started a new cycle :
185 x5
210 x5
240 x10

These almost killed me. On rep#4 I was hoping to get 5. On 10 I was hoping I didn't have a heart attack. These should not have been this hard but they were. I was completely spent afterward.

Leg Press:
sled x10
sled + 90lbs x10
sled + 180lbs -10x3

These should have been a warmup but I was too tired to add any. By the time I got to 180 it felt like 480.

Glute Ham Raises:
10 x3

What can I say? They're GHRs. They suck massively.

Wednesday I will test my clean&press and bench to see where they sit.