Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-04-2012, 11:59   #41
dannym
Kill 'Em All

I have a wife, 3 daughters, FT job, house choirs like yard work, etc, plus other hobbies like Battlefield 3, beer, more beer, more Battlefield 3, shooting range, etc....I don't have time to spend reloading nor any interest in ever doing it. Oh, and I have no problem with steel case .223 ammo.
dannym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 21:19   #42
TangoFoxtrot
OIF 04-05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluestreakfl View Post
Was wondering if shooting steel case ammo through an AR can have any negative side affects. I see there is a huge difference in price vs brass but when something's that much cheaper, there's usually a catch. Any pros and cons of steel vs brass would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my phone booth
I can't understand why all the gun snobs of this forum spend thousands on their rifles but cheap garbage steel cased ammo through their rifles.
TangoFoxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:15   #43
PlasticGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoFoxtrot View Post
I can't understand why all the gun snobs of this forum spend thousands on their rifles but cheap garbage steel cased ammo through their rifles.
So you shoot nothing but the best match grade ammo money can buy? You gotta draw the line somewhere.

Sometimes I need the accuracy of a hunting or match grade load. Other times the extra trigger time I get with Wolf is more of a benefit. That's not cheap. That's smart.
Old 05-05-2012, 18:31   #44
hotpig
CLM Number 211
IAFF Local 4766

For plinking I use my reloads. If I'm going to burn through a few hundred rounds with my Slide Fire stock I use Wolf or Tula. At my price it is not that much more than using my reloads.
Old 05-05-2012, 22:37   #45
eyelikeglasses
Hooah, Hooah.

Any time ammo runs from me, I just shoot it with a different brand.
eyelikeglasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 23:14   #46
shotgunred
reloading nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Courtney View Post
Could you break down that figure for us? How much value are you imputing for your time? How many times are you calculating that you can reload a 5.56 case? By what method are you calculating the depreciation of your reloading equipment?

Lastly, How will you have enough time to pick-up brass and re-load the cases during a zombie apocalypse?
How much value are you imputing for your time? none It is call an opportunity loss. Ask the IRS what that is worth.

How many times are you calculating that you can reload a 5.56 case? It doesn't matter. Several times a year I shoot TAC rifle with some law enforcement guys. They don't pay for or pick up their brass. So I have a steady supply of free brass.

By what method are you calculating the depreciation of your reloading equipment? I owned a Dillon 550 for 4 years before I upgraded to a 650. I sold my 550 for $35 dollars less than I payed for it. Dillon has a forever warranty on my 650. So I don't worry about $8 depreciation a year.
In order to make reloading 223 worth your time you have to buy in bulk. I just bought 16 pounds of powder and 10k primers at once. I buy my bullets by at least 3k at a time.

Lastly, How will you have enough time to pick-up brass and re-load the cases during a zombie apocalypse?I keep it 5 gallon buckets no need to pick it up.

Honestly If you are not already a reloader it isn't worth it to buy all the gear just to do 223. But if you are a competition shooter shooting 20k rounds a year then it is just stupid not to be reloading. My 550 payed for itself in four months. That being said reloading only pays back well if you have the money to buy in bulk. If you don't have a spare $ 500 to $1000 to buy everything in bulk you are not going to see a big difference in cost.
and motivated by pride and vanity.

Last edited by shotgunred; 05-05-2012 at 23:21..
shotgunred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 12:52   #47
Weezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin762 View Post
I used to eat junk food. Now I don't. I only eat healthy food.

I used to shoot (throw rounds down range) steel case ammo. Now I don't. I only shoot quality brass case ammo.

I prefer to treat my firearms as the same as I treat myself. With respect. It's just me.
Yeah. Wait....what??
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 19:14   #48
MStarmer
In Jail...

I attended a 2 day tactical rifle class last weekend and surprisingly there were quite a few people shooting steel cased ammo. One reason is during a class it's next to impossible to recover you brass cases so you don't feel bad leaving them behind. I shot 600+ rounds of Hornady TAP training ammo without any issues. Clean, accurate and relatively cheap. One guy showed up with a case of Tula, a $600 S&W sport with iron sights and was grouping about 4inches at 200yrds. I was barely able to do that good with my Acog equipped Spike's gun for 5 times that cost.

If you don't want to reload .223/5.56 buy the BCM bolt upgrade kit and don't sweat it. I don't shoot wolf but I will definitely try the Tula stuff after seeing it perform at the class. I'm set up to reload .223 but with all the case prep involved I've never really warmed up to the idea. If I sent the brass out to be processed I may do it but by the time you do that you might as well just buy ammo.
Old 05-06-2012, 19:26   #49
smokin762

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
Yeah. Wait....what??

If you want consistent accuracy with minimal problems, then use good ammunition. It will be worth the extra money in the long run.

If you don’t mind inconsistent accuracy and FTF and FTE problems,than keep using steel case ammunition.

It kind of makes me shake my head when I see guys talk about their $1,400.00 AR and they are too cheap to buy quality ammunition for it.

Last edited by smokin762; 05-06-2012 at 19:27..
smokin762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 20:05   #50
ggarciatx
Cold War Sailor

steel cased

No problems in my Bushmaster or Mini. Sure is dirty though. Is accurate enogh and I have bought both the Academy Monarch brand and Tula they are carrying now. The Monarch was better than the Tula.

In Memory of my Father Jose C. Garcia USMC 2ND Marine Division WW2. Tarawa, Saipan, Tinian, Okinawa and Occupation forces of Japan. 4th battalion/10th Marines :usmc:
ggarciatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 04:24   #51
TangoFoxtrot
OIF 04-05

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasticGuy View Post
So you shoot nothing but the best match grade ammo money can buy? You gotta draw the line somewhere.

Sometimes I need the accuracy of a hunting or match grade load. Other times the extra trigger time I get with Wolf is more of a benefit. That's not cheap. That's smart.
No. I use Federal ammo mid-grade stuff. If you owned a BMW would you put recap tires on it??
TangoFoxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:03   #52
dannym
Kill 'Em All

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoFoxtrot View Post
If you owned a BMW would you put recap tires on it??
If you knew that after a dinner date you could take the girl to your house and bang the crap out of her, everytime, why bother spending money on an expensive dinner, everytime?
dannym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:47   #53
GSSF17
...2 of 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannym View Post
If you knew that after a dinner date you could take the girl to your house and bang the crap out of her, everytime, why bother spending money on an expensive dinner, everytime?
Where logic and humor collide to prove an excellent point!
-Rimfire Club#1097 -Florida Glockers Club#1097 -Black Rifle Club #1097 -Certified Glock Armorer

RIP John Noveske- 1976 - 2013
GSSF17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:21   #54
hotpig
CLM Number 211
IAFF Local 4766

I'm glad that some are bias against the metal case ammo. It means more ammo for me.

Many American mfg have been talking about switching to metal on their lower end rifle and pistol loads.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:28   #55
smokin762

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpig View Post
I'm glad that some are bias against the metal case ammo. It means more ammo for me.

Many American mfg have been talking about switching to metal on their lower end rifle and pistol loads.
That's cool.

I hope that more companies do start using steel for new ammunition. Maybe it will force the price of new brass down for the reloaders.
smokin762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:56   #56
MStarmer
In Jail...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpig View Post
That's why I bought two cases of the Hornady TAP training ammo. If steel was good enough for their ammo it was good enough for me. Plus it was about $100 per thousand less than brass cased when I bought it a few years ago.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:19   #57
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin762 View Post
If you want consistent accuracy with minimal problems, then use good ammunition. It will be worth the extra money in the long run.

If you donít mind inconsistent accuracy and FTF and FTE problems,than keep using steel case ammunition.

It kind of makes me shake my head when I see guys talk about their $1,400.00 AR and they are too cheap to buy quality ammunition for it.
If your combat rifle can't digest service grade ammo...then it's a rifle problem and not a price or ammo problem.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:53   #58
Airhasz

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
If your combat rifle can't digest service grade ammo...then it's a rifle problem and not a price or ammo problem.
Yeah, when shtf and its all you can find your rifle has to be able to eat up and spit out steel case ammo without a thought..
Airhasz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 15:47   #59
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

If my 100-years-old design/40-years-old vintage handgun can eat steel case ammo with aplomb and a fancy dandy combat rifle can't...

Something sucks and it ain't the ammo.

Black Rifle Forum
Old 05-07-2012, 17:43   #60
gen423mike

my friends buddy has a lwrc that gobbles up tul ammo with no problems...