GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-05-2012, 09:02   #21
vram74

Got rid of mine. Accurate pistol but boring to shoot. Sure I could spend $20 and shoot all day, but never enjoyed it. Read instructions, watched videos, did everything to the letter and never could get the upper off the frame. When you are told by the manufacturer to whack the back of your gun with a mallet repeatedly, something went wrong somewhere designing the firearm. There are things that could be changed to make it better, but Ruger isn't going to bother. It's not like they don't hear the complaints.
vram74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:29   #22
MadMonkey
Spershul Furces

Send a message via AIM to MadMonkey Send a message via Yahoo to MadMonkey
This is why I like my Beretta 948.
MadMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 15:12   #23
Alizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxGun View Post
Read the instructions and follow them to the letter. Far too many people have zero problems with reassembly for it to be some mysterious science or a particular brand of magic. Once you understand the process, it's easy. If it's not, reassess your mechanical apptitude.
All I know is, the owner of the one Mk III I worked on tried to disassemble it per instructions and it got so jammed up nobody could get ANYTHING to move. Eventually, we had all five of use from the bullseye shooting league working on it (two of us gunsmiths capable of blueprinting a Mk II) and we could not get it freed up. Gave it back to the owner of the range (bought it there) and he gave up. Gun had to be shipped back to Ruger.

RIDICULOUS!

Last edited by Alizard; 05-05-2012 at 15:12..
Alizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 17:27   #24
Bob Hafler

If you can't read and follow instructions and watch and understand the video's on how to take five pieces apart and put back together, then yes maybe you should not buy a Ruger MKIII. No it will not fall apart like a Glock when it comes to field stripping. Yes it will take some thought, but it's not the rocket science, or the PITA some seem to make it sound.. Good grief guys it's five pieces that have to go back together in a certain sequence.
Bob Hafler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 17:37   #25
itstime

The reason I don't own a MK is because of reading postske this.
itstime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 18:08   #26
doc540

Don't even imply that I'm mechanically incompetent.

I've owned 14 used BMW's and do most of my own work.

Trust me, I know the meaning of "over engineered".

Not only did I sell my first Ruger Mk, when I was considering a rimfire semi for my training classes I avoided it like the plague. It should win the Rube Goldberg Memorial Citation.

Ruger SR22? Now, that's how things are supposed to work.
doc540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 18:29   #27
Alizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hafler View Post
If you can't read and follow instructions and watch and understand the video's on how to take five pieces apart and put back together, then yes maybe you should not buy a Ruger MKIII. No it will not fall apart like a Glock when it comes to field stripping. Yes it will take some thought, but it's not the rocket science, or the PITA some seem to make it sound.. Good grief guys it's five pieces that have to go back together in a certain sequence.
Yeah, I'm sure you're right. All this talk about Mk III reassembly problems is just hot air.

Quote:
Okay, my Ruger Mark III 22/45 has been giving me some problems lately.

One day after shooting about 100rnds through it I disassembled (which I've done many, many times before), cleaned, and began reassembly but the main mainspring housing assembly wouldn't slide all the way up through the frame for some reason... I let my dad take a look at it and he thought he "fixed" it.

Turns out this wasn't the case. I was about to go shoot it again and realized the safety wouldn't move from the firing position. Anyways, a few weeks went by trying a few different things and to shorten things I'll just get to it.

...I got the gun back together but the bolt is no longer as smooth and sticks when wracked back. Once I noticed this I tried to take it back apart, but now the mainspring housing assembly is stuck in the fame and I can only pull it out about a quarter of an inch.

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/non-xd-...need-help.html

Quote:
Somehow I did it wrong, and now I can't insert magazines into the gun because the tiny little latch at the bottom of that part, that folds into the main grip of the gun, the latch is too high or something and so I can't insert a magazine past an inch. And it's stuck now, the part, and I can't remove it more than a tiny bit, the rest is stuck in the gun. When I do undo that little latch and pull it out, I can put a magazine in. Help?

http://rugerforum.net/ruger-rimfires...eassembly.html
Quote:
I have always had problems with disassembly and reassembly of my Ruger 22/45 MK III. I have had to call Ruger 2 TIMES to get this thing back together. I got fed up with it and put it away for awhile. I recently brought it out to clean it to start shooting steel. When I went to swing the main spring housing out of the back strap, it would not swing up. The last time I put it back together was when it called Ruger. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Quote:
MK III disassembly/reassembly problem
Despite my best efforts to follow Iowegan's manual, I missed a step somewhere. As a result, I left the magazine in during disassembly. Now the mag won't drop out, and I can't get the bolt back in.

I never did manage to get the receiver off the grip frame.

The pistol is brand new--less than 300 rounds through it.

Any suggestions for getting that mag out? If I could get the pistol back together, I could start over. . . .

http://rugerforum.net/ruger-rimfires...y-problem.html

Quote:
So after shooting my Mk III yesterday, I went to disassemble it today to clean it and ran into a problem almost immediately. After opening the rear springed lever, it wont pull out of separate from the handle. It rotates out about half inch and is still sprung but wont pull out any further.
Quote:
Glad to hear I'm not the only only with a "problem" field stripping a Ruger. I just bought a new Mark III 22/45 and went to disassemble it for the initial cleaning before taking it to the range. I already have a Ruger Mark III SS Hunter that I have field stripped a few times with only a few hitches, so felt fairly confident, followed the instructions to the letter I beleive, got as far as starting to take the barrel off of the base and it would not move.
Quote:
Ruger Mark III Problem
I am having a problem with a Ruger Mark III (678) target pistol. I received it new in the box as a birthday present (woot!) this week so I wanted to clean it before I went to the range. Two hours later I finally got it disassembled, cleaned, and reassembled. I can't believe a rubber mallett is required to do this!

After assembling the pistol while carefully following the directions, the hammer will not stay cocked. The bolt retracts and locks properly. However, when it travels forward it sounds like the hammer immediately falls. I've taken it apart and put it back together several times with the same result. I'm pretty sure that I've properly placed the hammer strut but who knows. I haven't even fired it yet!!!

Quote:
Ruger Mark III .22 Problems.......
I am trying to disassemble this pistol for the first time and I am running into some problems.

I was able to get the mainspring housing out once, but then I put it back in.

Now trying to get it out again it wont come out for anything.

I think the reason is the hammer is cocked. But now it wont decock!

I put an empty mag in, safety off, and pull the trigger and nothing happens, the hammer wont come down and therefore I cant get it apart.

Anyone got any ideas how to fix this?
Alizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 05:41   #28
Bob Hafler

Like I said if it's to tough to take apart and reassemble then your right don't buy the Ruger MKIII.

Personally I think it's a great little plinker that doesn't need to be taken apart very often. I'm also aware that many people can't/won't follow directions. Then when they get into trouble it's the guns problem. Sometimes it might be the gun but I know guys who have never taken it apart and it still works fine. They also never did some of these half a**ed upgrades some people do to these MK pistols.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:58   #29
tcruse

I agree that it can be reassembled bby rolling the directions. It is not handy to insert the mags several times during the process. It is an issue that will make the gun not suitable for some people.
Removing the mag safety fixs the problem. It also is nice to not have to pry the mag out on every reload. The gun should come with both hammers and buffers or have an optional mag safety. I suspect that the whole problem is a result of bad regulations in some states.
Actually the mag safety is not something that you want to train shooters to rely on. It probably will encourage more unintended discharges overall. I do like the gun overall.
tcruse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:48   #30
Bob Hafler

I believe they put these safety features on 22's because many beginers usually start with 22's. That and to get past some states goofy laws. When it comes to the MK series of pistols by Ruger I guess I just don't get this defeatist attitude or the fear of buying a pistol because it takes a little thought and effort to break down and reassemble. People these are fine little pistols that will keep you entertained for years. Like I mentioned I have friends who have never broken them down and they've owned and shot them for a long time. I also have another friend who's (I think) 12 year old son can have it apart and back together in a matter of minutes. People seem to think these are high maintenance pistols and there not. Many times a little CLP on a round barrel type brush, a 3/8" airtist brush and a 22 caliber boresnake is all you need.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:07   #31
doc540

"I just don't get this defeatist attitude or the fear of buying a pistol because it takes a little thought and effort to break down and reassemble."

As a training pistol getting industrial use, why would I want to buy a tool that takes more "thought and effort" to service than another Ruger which takes less of the same?

fer instance:
Just from a mechanical point of view, if one was living in jungle-like conditions why would one carry a Luger when a 1911 was available?

finally:
Many MkIII Ruger owners prefer them. Congrats and enjoy what you like. However, many others obviously don't prefer the Mk's mechanical design. What's "not to get" about that?

To each his own. Live and let live.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:14   #32
Bob Hafler

I agree. Refer to first sentence in reply 28.
Old 05-06-2012, 21:07   #33
MoNsTeR

Just clean the damned thing less often. It's a .22!
MoNsTeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 22:39   #34
doc540

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNsTeR View Post
Just clean the damned thing less often. It's a .22!
I can understand not cleaning the barrel of a .22, but my experience has been that most .22LR ammo is among the dirtiest of the dirty and not cleaning the action causes problems.
Old 05-06-2012, 23:28   #35
toshbar
Timber Baron

The inside of my 22/45 is fully coated with powder. It's nasty, but I'm not going to clean it any time soon.

The only reason I cleaned it last time was because after about 6000 rounds, there was so much gunk in the extractor groove, the extractor wouldn't even touch the rim of the case to yank it out of the chamber....20 sec with a dental pick fixed that.
2 4 R

Last edited by toshbar; 05-06-2012 at 23:28..
toshbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 15:17   #36
Camu Mahubah
9=Fine

I had a bunch of trouble until I watched this vid...granted mine is a regular mkIII target model but assembly is the same. You will need a non-marking punch. I used a pencil. I'm looking for a non-marking punch. My buddy was gonna make me one out of soft brass buy I haven't seen it yet. Oh and a plastic or rubber mallet.

Mine is way way tight! I hope after a few teardowns it loosens up. And yes I would recommend the Buck Mark to noobs...
BRC#109
Camu Mahubah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 23:43   #37
SpectreRider
Armed Citizen

Satan offered Bill Ruger the perfect .22 rimfire pistol design in exchange for his soul.
Bill asked for a sample, saw how to build the perfect .22 but the devil pulled away the plans before he saw how to handle takedown.

And then Bill refused to make the deal.

And the MK I was the result.

The solution has been invented though.

http://www.majesticarms.com/index.html
SpectreRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 00:06   #38
countrygun

I learned how to take apart and reassemble a Ruger Standard auto at 13 way before people bragged about how much smarter their generation was because they have computers.

I have heard people complain about the Sigpro series because, unlike the other SIGs you have to actually pull a pin out like an "Old 1911" Oh the horror!

A gun with more than 6 moving parts is "too complicated" for our enlightened world today Is "progress making us mechanically inept? Is that really "progress"?

Last edited by countrygun; 05-09-2012 at 10:32..
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 04:47   #39
glide

I watched a YouTube video to figure out how to disassemble/assemble the Mark III and it was so simple to do. I in fact detailed strip mine and installed a trigger kit. It's nice to have the Internet and Google to help out.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Old 05-08-2012, 11:16   #40
toshbar
Timber Baron

Mechanical declination stems from a lack of curiosity.
2 4 R

toshbar is offline   Reply With Quote