Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-04-2012, 17:52   #1
C J

Solid copper vs. lead jacketed

Does anyone have any thoughts as to solid copper or jacketed lead rounds? I've started to notice references and articles in the various magazines we all read. I'm sure it's really nothing new. I was wondering about the differences besides obvious weight and velocity? I was looking at Black Hills .40, 140gr using a Barnes-TAC bullet. Thanks. Stay safe.
C J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 18:14   #2
fredj338

A mono metal bullet can NOT shed it's jacket. In handgun rounds, I don;t think it's that big of a deal unless you shoot thru a lot of auto glass. The cost is ridiculous to practice with. I am fine w/ conventional lead core bullets. Hell, even all lead works fine.
Caliber Corner
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 05-04-2012 at 18:14..
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 18:45   #3
Tiro Fijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
...The cost is ridiculous to practice with...

Price of copper has gone through the roof in the past few years. Too bad Corbon doesn't own their own mine.
I saw the other day where an airline co. in the US bought an oil refinery and will save them between $150 - 200 million per year on fuel costs!!

I'm with Fred on lead HP's if no vehicles are involved. The trick is using the correct alloy for the velocity. Softer is better IMO.
Tiro Fijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 19:02   #4
unit1069

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiro Fijo View Post
I'm with Fred on lead HP's if no vehicles are involved.
Well I'm with fred over the cost of all-copper rounds.

Back when I owned a micro .380ACP I got caught up in the hype of the DPX round so I bought two boxes. It only took one or two FTEs for me to realize that I'd need to take out a second mortgage to finance enough rounds to give myself the confidence to carry them.

Because the gun was too "iffy" in the reliability department I'm glad I dropped the idea of carrying that round before I spent myself into Chapter 7 bankruptcy.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:10   #5
jeffreybehr
GAPist #1944

I use Barnes TAC-XP 125s in my 357SIG loads and love them. In prior pistols in different calibers, I tried some TAC-XPs but didn't keep the pistols. These solid-copper personal-defense bullets perform excellently.
Caliber Corner

Yes they're expensive even at Cabela's closeout prices where I bought LOTS of these, but when I practice I do shoot perhaps a dozen of them. My regular practice load uses Montana Gold HP125s.
Caliber Corner

It took longer to find a great load for the looonger bullet, but my current load* develops almost 1400FPS (@ 10') and is 100% reliable.

The best things in life cost more money; I'm willing to pay it.

------------------------------

* 9.0g. of HS-6, WSP, and Speer nickel case; OAL slightly less than 1.14". WARNING--work up to this slowly. In my 31Gen4, it's quite safe, but this is MY gun, not yours.
Old 05-05-2012, 13:22   #6
Tiro Fijo

JB, why the need to practice with the expensive SCHP's since you appear to be an astute reloader? Why not just practice with a handload that duplicates the velocity & POA of your CCW load to save cash? Personally, I love the SCHP's but the price of copper has killed them for LEO & Military service.
Old 05-05-2012, 13:39   #7
dkf

Havn't been seeing a lot of real world shooting info with the solid copper rounds. The DPX and Barnes seem to perform very well however I'll stick to a premium JHP now into the forseeable future due to price alone.

I just wish the all copper bullets were not so darn long. The length takes up quite a bit of real estate in the case and somewhat limits the velocity potential. Since they hold together so well they would be a bullet to push very fast.
dkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 14:47   #8
Tiro Fijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf View Post
...I just wish the all copper bullets were not so darn long. The length takes up quite a bit of real estate in the case and somewhat limits the velocity potential...

Looks like one co. has figured it out:

http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php...t_detail&p=304
Old 05-06-2012, 12:00   #9
jeffreybehr
GAPist #1944

Quote:
JB, why the need to practice with the expensive SCHP's since you appear to be an astute reloader? Why not just practice with a handload that duplicates the velocity & POA of your CCW load to save cash?
I simply like to be sure that they remain 100% reliable AND fresh in the mags. I keep 4 mags loaded and shoot several from each mag. A couple years ago I found a place an hour north of town where I can shoot at waterjugs, etc. The bank on the right is much taller closer to me.
Caliber Corner
I LOVE to blow 'em up. ALL my reloads go into once-fired Speer nickel cases*, so I don't have to keep the empties separate.

Another reason I shoot them is that I bought a LOT from Cabela's before they finally ran out; I still have 25 boxes. And another is that I enjoy my slow, methodical, careful process of reloading them.

* and I have a LOT of them!
Old 05-06-2012, 12:10   #10
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I like all copper bullets for revolvers. No need to put a 50-200 rounds downrange to be confident you won't have a failure to feed, etc, so the high cost isn't much of a factor. My 4" GP100 is loaded with Buffalo Bore loaded 125gr Barnes at the moment.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)

Last edited by Warp; 05-06-2012 at 12:10..
Warp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 12:30   #11
fredj338

Quote:
JB, why the need to practice with the expensive SCHP's since you appear to be an astute reloader? Why not just practice with a handload that duplicates the velocity & POA of your CCW load to save cash? Personally, I love the SCHP's but the price of copper has killed them for LEO & Military service.
You do have to shoot at least a couple mags to prove 100% reliability. Not a huge amount of money, but still, monometal bullets are great, but offer little if any improvement over bonded lead core bullets. If you don't shoot thru a lot of auto galss, I even doubt the "improvement" over non bonded lead core JHP @ typ handgun vel.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 05-06-2012 at 12:30..
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 12:53   #12
VinnieD

I don't see the point in them. Copper prices are going up. Honestly I would be holding on to any copper I could get my hands on right now. It's on its way to becoming the poorman's gold. So on top of costing more, copper rounds weigh less, requiring bigger bullets to do the same job.

I don't think I could shoot something I believed would soon enough be worth more in melt weight than in its original function.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
VinnieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 17:19   #13
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnieD View Post
I don't think I could shoot something I believed would soon enough be worth more in melt weight than in its original function.
I don't think we have to quite worry about that.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Warp is online now   Reply With Quote