GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-06-2012, 05:48   #21
SFCSMITH(RET)

For hiking, I am really liking Merrel's.. but for all out best boot, Hanwag. I have a pair of Hanwag's I bought in the FRG in '78 or so, still the best mountain boot I have seen/worn/had. Just had them re-soled about 2 years ago. My guess is that will be the last time. (second sole)
SFCSMITH(RET) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 12:22   #22
jtull7
Pistolero

The sole liner is an add-on. It is shaped like a foot and goes into the boot before your foot does. It gives the sole just the right amount of extra padding. It really makes a difference.

Every day I face Ogden, Utah, and pray that God might bless John Moses Browning.

Outpost Member #69 I collect and shoot many fine firearms. CCW: NM, CT, and NH. N5JHT. WFR. Former LEO. SAR. Bilateral trans-tibial amputee. Survivor of bubonic plague. Tough sum-*****.
jtull7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 14:31   #23
Big Bird
NRA Life Member

I'm on my second pair of Danner Mountain Lites. They've been around since the 70's. Do some online searching and you'll find em for $300ish. My first pair lasted almost 18 years and had been resoled twice. They are the classic leather hiking boot. Will take some break-in--about 20 miles or so. Wear a good sock liner and some Merino Wool socks to start and carry some moleskin. After about 20 miles they will be golden.

http://www.glensoutdoors.com/Danner-...ot-p/30800.htm

I also have a pair of Asolo TPS 520's and they are a nice boot that provides a little higher ankle support than the Danner's but they are a bonded sole and cannot be resoled and were more expensive than the Danners at the time. Also needed some break-in but less than my Danners.

“Est Nulla Via Invia Virute”
Big Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 17:06   #24
RichJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtull7 View Post
The sole liner is an add-on. It is shaped like a foot and goes into the boot before your foot does. It gives the sole just the right amount of extra padding. It really makes a difference.
Are you talking about the padded insole that comes with the boot? I've never seen an add-on liner for Sundowners, and I've never had any comfort issues so the "very important" part of your post has me a bit puzzled.
RichJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 17:27   #25
FireForged
Millenium #3936

Merrell
Old 05-07-2012, 06:01   #26
Big Bird
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichJ View Post
Are you talking about the padded insole that comes with the boot? I've never seen an add-on liner for Sundowners, and I've never had any comfort issues so the "very important" part of your post has me a bit puzzled.
Sundowners aren't what they used to be. The new models are made in China and are a huge change in quality from the old Italian made boots.

“Est Nulla Via Invia Virute”
Big Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 15:17   #27
crunchless

Asolo 520 tps boots are great but expensive - almost $300. I thought they could be resoled but not sure now. I had the old LL Bean guide to the outdoors book in the 1980s and they had a chapter on "you best foot forward". I didn't realize until recently how big a deal good footwear is. When you have poor fitting boots you are miserable.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
crunchless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 15:32   #28
Wake_jumper

Vasque. Bitteroot GTX. #7170. Carried a 50# pack 100 miles in the New Mexico mountains last summer. My son (same boots) and I were the only ones who didn't have blisters and were not complaining about their feet. Make sure you break them in before a long trip. It takes 30 to 50 miles to break these bad boys in. They were expensive (~$200) but worth every penny.

http://www.vasque.com/vasque-shoe/71...ck-chilipepper
Wake_jumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 15:46   #29
Hour13
Tah-dah!

Sketcher's for me. Lol, not exactly "supreme" gear, I know.

These aren't even really hiking boots per se, but they work damn well. They're kind of a mess in this pic, from a cave-diving trip. I wear 'em on the bike, hiking, whatever.

Survival/Preparedness Forum

Only boots I've ever had that I never need to break in, comfy right outta the box. They're tough as nails, and last. This pair is pretty new, just retired my last pair, that I bought sometime in the '90s.

Quote:
She can't say stupid stuff with her mouth full of sausage.
Quote:
I have no problem charging somebody stark nekid, with a TP tail hanging from my butt... Maybe they'll go to their maker with a smile on their face.
Hour13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 13:04   #30
Bilbo Bagins
Slacked jawed

Merrell for me and what I do. I do heavy long distance hikes so leather would cook my dogs. I have a pair of Moab Ventilators right now. Sometimes when I go cheap I get Hi-tec trail runners and boots. I still have a pair of Hi-Tec trail runners that are going over 2 years old with tons of mileage and they still look and feel great Best $35 I ever spent. I just replace the crappy insole with green superfeet.
Bilbo Bagins is offline   Reply With Quote