Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-04-2012, 18:46   #1
jtriron

Tapco trigger

Just wondering what the general thoughts were on the Tapco trigger for the AK47?
Is it worth the time and cost?
Does it reduce the trigger slap?
Is it a ***** to install?

(For an older Hungarian AK)

Thanks
jtriron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 18:49   #2
countrygun

Nothing on the AK is much of a ******* to work on, in most of the world the tool kit is two different sizes of rock. The Tapco works and it's a good opportunity to get to know the joys of the "Shepards Crook spring" or replace it with a "clip plate"
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 18:50   #3
roguedaddy

Same here. Also is there a way to know if you already have one installed?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
roguedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 19:08   #4
plouffedaddy

It will say TAPCO or G2 on your trigger.

If you have trigger slap on your AK it's absolutely worth it; it will completely eliminate it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Certified Glock Armorer

Last edited by plouffedaddy; 05-04-2012 at 19:09..
plouffedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 19:20   #5
CnRnut

It's a fine FCG for the money spent.
Get some 1500 grip paper and polish all contact surfaces and
you will be glad you changed out your FCG.
Now if your crafty you can do a few mods to make it even better.
CnRnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 20:27   #6
jtriron

Thanks,
my tapco kit is on the way.
Old 05-04-2012, 21:56   #7
adamg01

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtriron View Post
Thanks,
my tapco kit is on the way.
You will like it. I replaced my Arsenal trigger with the G2 and never looked back.
adamg01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 22:11   #8
twag4

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamg01 View Post
You will like it. I replaced my Arsenal trigger with the G2 and never looked back.
Me too. I polished the hammer where the trigger hook slides against it and smoothed out the gritty feel, but shooting many round would also accomplish this. I also polished the trigger hook where it engages the hammer BTW.

Last edited by twag4; 05-04-2012 at 22:12..
twag4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:54   #9
ak103k

I bought a G2 for my WASR, figuring Id give one a try after hearing how good they were. The one I got was terrible. It was gritty and crunchy, and actually unsafe as it would often "hang" when you took up on it and then didnt follow through. The next time you touched it, it was basically a "set" trigger, and the gun would go off unexpectedly. I took it back out and replaced the factory trigger, which was actually a lot nicer.

I have an early Red Star Arms trigger in my SAR, which did have some nasty slap. Their triggers are a class act, although you do pay for them. I paid about $80 for mine, where the Tapco was around $30.

Installation wise, the Tapco was easier, as the RSA needed some fitting. As I said earlier, it was an early model, and Ive heard since, the new ones are a drop in item.

As for the "Shepherds Hook, its amazing how much grief these seem to cause. Its a simple piece of wire that only requires a push of a screwdriver or punch to operate, yet some people seem to want to turn it into some sort complex gizmo that requires three college degrees to understand and operate.

All you do is push down on the hook just ahead of the pin so it clears the notch in the pin, and remove the pin. When you get it all back together, you simply push down on the hook again, and slip the pin back in over it and let it back up into the notch on the pin. Its ridiculously simple, yet Ive seen a number of Youtube clips over the years that will have you doing all sorts of goofy gyrations trying to get things reassembled.
ak103k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 07:28   #10
Glockdude1
CLM Number 185
Federal Member

The Kalashnikov Klub

Old 05-06-2012, 19:31   #11
CTfam
DREAM BIG.

My AKs must have... Tapco G2s, Retainer plate, US Palm Grip. That is all.

The G2 was a HUGE improvement over the stock Arsenal.
Old 05-06-2012, 20:39   #12
Decguns

The only thing to worry about is whether you need a single or double hook trigger. I prefer to use double hook, but that often requires making a little cut in the receiver to accomodate the second hook. The price you pay for a truly silky trigger pull.

The shepard's hook is rediculously easy to remove & install... and it seems to have worked just fine for some 60+ years. I typically throw away the stupid retainer plate that comes with the triggers.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:50   #13
post-apocalyptic
magnifi ba$tard

Unless you get an out-of-spec one, (rare), I think the Tapco G2 trigger is preferable for any Kalashnikov pattern carbine other than .308 or 7.62x54R.

They're also the trigger that the commercial bump-fire stocks are meant to be most easily used with.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:41   #14
MrMurphy
Lifetime Membership

Friend bought a WASR-10 before he knew better.

Henderson Defense converted it for him, opening the magwell up for standard mags, inspected it for any odd stuff (bent sights, etc) and swapped the trigger out for a Tapco.

Probably the only product they make i will ever actually recommend except maybe their M249 grip for guys with big hands.

It changed his trigger from a heavy and gritty trigger to one that is only moderately heavy, with a clean, reliable break. Makes the rifle FAR easier to shoot accurately. About as good as a NIB M4 GI trigger.
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
MrMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 19:53   #15
CBennett

my ak74 came with one its a real good trigger compared to stock.
CBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 20:00   #16
Angry Fist
Lifetime Membership
The Original®

I have a G2 trigger in my S12 conversion, and I like it.
I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, s**t-kickers, Methodists, and the GTDS.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Angry Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 05:15   #17
jtriron

Tapco installed ... range report to follow soon.
Old 05-11-2012, 20:29   #18
my762buzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtriron View Post
Tapco installed ... range report to follow soon.
The Tapco G2 trigger sets are extremely common and extensively tested on thousands of domestic builds and reconfigurations. They are metal injection molded and serve as legal U.S. compliance parts to comply with the 10 parts rule. Forged triggers are arguably tougher than metal injection molded ones and can polish to a smoother surface, but I know of only one U.S. made forged trigger set made from steel bar stock and it is much more expensive to the tune of $85. For most general purposes, the G2 set is functional, easy to work with, durable enough, and competitively priced.
my762buzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 13:26   #19
PlasticGuy

A Tapco G2 fire control group with the contact surfaces polished is about as good as it gets. Even custom shops like Krebs and Rifle Dynamics go this route on their builds.
Old 05-12-2012, 16:43   #20
toshbar
Timber Baron

I did overtravel and pretravel adjustments on my G2. Best AK trigger says anyone who touches it.
2 4 R

toshbar is offline   Reply With Quote