Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-02-2012, 16:26   #1
BRoberts243

Choice of .22s?

My grandpa is giving me my choice of a few .22 rifles he's had for decades. I just wanted to know any info you guys might have on these guns. Which one is the most value, and which would you choose given the options:

Mossberg & Sons Model 142A: It does NOT have a mag with it (but i think i found them online for about $30). It does have some rust on the outside of the barrel and scope and the scope is kind of hazy and has corrosion on the lens

Remington Model 33: This is pretty clean, not really any rust i can recall.

Savage Model 5: Same as the Remington, looks in pretty good shape.

I lean towards the Mossberg the most seeing as how it is mag fed bolt action, the only thing that scares me off is the rust.

I'm not that interested in the Remington, seeing as how its just single shot bolt action. Doesnt seem very practical to load by hand. But i also dont plan on shooting this all the time so if it is more valuable for some reason i would consider taking this one, because it is clean

The Savage is pretty unique with the railfed bolt action, and again I do like this one, but it is also way bigger than the others.

I do have pics of the rust on the MossbergRimfire Forum
Rimfire Forum
BRoberts243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 17:09   #2
ratf51

My opinion: go with the Savage. A tube fed bolt action is a solid design, if it's in good condition then it should be a good shooter. And thank your Grandpa...
ratf51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 17:55   #3
BRoberts243

Yea i def. will thank him. I mainly torn between the Savage and Mossberg just because they have a capacity of more than 1, lol. I do like the mossberg but i dont know what it would take to clean it up, or if its possible. So I am leaning towards the Savage right now, thanks for the input.

Anyone else?
Old 05-02-2012, 18:32   #4
JaPes
Rimfire 1010101

Just my opinion...

A firearm passed down from your grandpa is already a special thing. I'd sit down with him and ask him to tell any stories he may have about each rifle. I'd then pick the one with the most memorable, meaningful background story.

I'd document the story. I'd even see if grandpa would be willing to be video recorded telling his shooting experiences with that rifle in his hands. Then get a video of him on the range shooting it.

All of this will make it a meaningful family heirloom.
JaPes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 19:49   #5
concretefuzzynuts
Brew Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by japes View Post
just my opinion...

A firearm passed down from your grandpa is already a special thing. I'd sit down with him and ask him to tell any stories he may have about each rifle. I'd then pick the one with the most memorable, meaningful background story.

I'd document the story. I'd even see if grandpa would be willing to be video recorded telling his shooting experiences with that rifle in his hands. Then get a video of him on the range shooting it.

this.
concretefuzzynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 23:04   #6
Folsom_Prison
Brew Crew

I wouldn't be picky if my grandpa offered me any of those.
Folsom_Prison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 20:14   #7
BRoberts243

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaPes View Post
Just my opinion...

Thank you, thats a great idea. I'm not sure if he's even shot all, or any, of them but that will be part of asking him about them. If he hasnt I'll def as him to go shooting them with me so we can have that story together. If none have a significance to him more than the others, ill probably go with the Savage. I like the mossberg alot, i just dont know if that rust can be removed, and what the barrel would look like afterwards if i did get it off.

Do you guys know how i would go about getting that rust off the outside (shown in the above pics) if i was to choose the mossberg?
Thanks again
Old 05-03-2012, 20:41   #8
allegro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratf51 View Post
my opinion: Go with the savage. A tube fed bolt action is a solid design, if it's in good condition then it should be a good shooter. And thank your grandpa...
yep !!

G23(3) Carry, G19(4), Advantage Arms .22 Conversion, Ruger P89, Ruger Security Six .357, M&P 15, Ithica Model 37, Winchester Model 24, Ruger 10/22
allegro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:49   #9
vafish

Value wise, they are all about equal.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
educate children." -- Confucius
vafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:51   #10
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by G19_AJ View Post
I wouldn't be picky if my grandpa offered me any of those.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 12:00   #11
wct097

I'd value them all pretty much the same. Probably less than $200. I personally have a Remington Model 510 Targetmaster that sounds a lot like the Model 33. It's by far my favorite gun in my entire collection. My grandmother was given the rifle when she was a teenager and she gave it to my Dad for me when I was a kid.

Excellent shooter. Don't let the lack of a magazine fool you.
Old 05-27-2012, 20:21   #12
JLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRoberts243 View Post
Do you guys know how i would go about getting that rust off the outside (shown in the above pics) if i was to choose the mossberg?
Thanks again

I just use 0000 steel wool and some oil. What say you guys?

..........credited to Dennis in MA
JLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 08:22   #13
LOWBOY

Light steel is the way to go, then, if you like, before oiling , wipe clean with solvent like carb cleaner and P/U some instant blue and rub down with clean rag. There are several differant brands of instant blue. Do a part like under the fore stock to see if you will like the outcome.
LOWBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 08:44   #14
redbrd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaPes View Post
Just my opinion...

I second this, I eventually got a 22 from my grandfather (After he died someone else grabbed it). Don't know what it is worth but it is worth a lot to me. I hope my grand kids will learn to shoot on it.

Last edited by redbrd; 05-28-2012 at 08:45..
redbrd is offline   Reply With Quote