Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-03-2012, 19:34   #21
CJStudent
Fenced In

Send a message via AIM to CJStudent Send a message via Yahoo to CJStudent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack View Post
I haven't checked our agencies policies concerning it for quite some time. But, unless it was absolutely essential I would not use my personal vehicle. It is possible to use a personal vehicle on BOP business with authorization from the Warden of the institution or designee.

We have plug in LED lights that could be plugged into the contact points on a personal vehicle, or on an official vehicle as needed. I won't buy my own set, nor do I care to. We don't really need those even if we are called in on an emergency situation. If they think we need those they can issue those to us.

If for some reason everything has gone to pot, everything is taken over, or other emergency, we would normally do the speed limit, after we have called back after receiving notification.

If I am helping out a fellow LEO somewhere I have hazard flashers that are suitable for their purposes of use. I don't need the minivan to look like a blue and red disco van, complete with noise makers.
Last I heard, they were verboten, at least for my institution. I don't remember where in policy, though. We had somebody try it, though, I believe.

Quote:
The first round is a moral decision. All of the following rounds are tactical decisions.

Last edited by CJStudent; 05-03-2012 at 19:35..
CJStudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 19:43   #22
nikerret
Mr. Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonder140 View Post
Do you really think it's safe to be driving that fast? I don't ever drive 90 even in my fully marked cvp. Just saying...does no good to possibly cause another accident responding to an emergency. Not worth it. I can't see any agency standing behind someone who is driving in a reckless manner. Food for thought.
Really? 90 MPH is fast, to you? If that's the fastest you can drive safely (traffic permitting0, there is something very wrong with your vehicle or your abilities. How do you catch up to speeders going over 100 MPH on the Interstate?

Around here, on midnights, the average speed for a CVPI running hot is over 100 MPH. The biggest concern is stupid animals. Thankfully, they rarely jump out if the siren is on.

We don't have much traffic, after dark.

Perhaps, your area is vastly different.

It isn't unheard of for people to run thorugh with their cruise set over 90.

Last edited by nikerret; 05-03-2012 at 19:44..
nikerret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 19:48   #23
nikerret
Mr. Awesome

I used to have a small set of red LEd's in the back window of my POV.

In college, I drove from Lawrence to KC almost daily. On K-10, there was a lot of traffic doing the same. I regularly stopped and helped people change tires and whatnot.

I also got to know the Troopers and Deputies that frequented the area. One of them recommended I get the light for the back window. I did, the cheapest one I could find that I could hide completely. I never turned it on unless I was off the roaadway and doing something.

It was a great way to pick up women who had flat tires
nikerret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 19:57   #24
Hack
Gold Membership
Crazy CO

Send a message via AIM to Hack Send a message via Yahoo to Hack
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJStudent View Post
Last I heard, they were verboten, at least for my institution. I don't remember where in policy, though. We had somebody try it, though, I believe.
Well, if that is a no-go currently for there, or nationally; it would be because of our own staff who became knuckle heads. I had heard of some acting way out of the scope of their employment, and BOP legal parameters as outlined in USC. That's never a good thing.
Bureau of Prisons or the Department of Justice."
In God we trust, all others we monitor.
Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 20:02   #25
CJStudent
Fenced In

Quote:
Well, if that is a no-go currently for there, or nationally; it would be because of our own staff who became knuckle heads. I had heard of some acting way out of the scope of their employment, and BOP legal parameters as outlined in USC. That's never a good thing.
Yeah, the way I understand it, the guy was doing traffic stops on his way home from work or some such.

Quote:
The first round is a moral decision. All of the following rounds are tactical decisions.
Old 05-03-2012, 20:27   #26
Hack
Gold Membership
Crazy CO

We had heard about it a little while after it had happened. It is unbelievable how some people go way beyond their scope of employment. It was a good lesson concerning what our duties are, and are not. Now if a person acts as a good citizen, (without lights, and so on), that is a totally different thing. If I stop someone it will be in the line of duty, and on the rez, which I have. But, that joker who did what he did made us look bad. Sometimes when I think of it ...
Old 05-03-2012, 20:31   #27
CJStudent
Fenced In

Quote:
We had heard about it a little while after it had happened. It is unbelievable how some people go way beyond their scope of employment. It was a good lesson concerning what our duties are, and are not. Now if a person acts as a good citizen, (without lights, and so on), that is a totally different thing. If I stop someone it will be in the line of duty, and on the rez, which I have. But, that joker who did what he did made us look bad. Sometimes when I think of it ...
Agreed. Now that I think about it, it might have been something we were told in the first day or so at Glynco; I do remember hearing about it with the burro, as well as with the state before, too.

Quote:
Old 05-03-2012, 20:42   #28
Hack
Gold Membership
Crazy CO

Quote:
Agreed. Now that I think about it, it might have been something we were told in the first day or so at Glynco; I do remember hearing about it with the burro, as well as with the state before, too.
Yep. All good reasons for me not to get the lights and siren, (both required in KS, as you can't have one without the other). I figure if I have to use my personal vehicle then I will get any other equipment issued to me on the spot for the purposes intended, and probably wind up manning an escape post or something with it. Or, be a courier getting information out to nearby agencies.
Old 05-03-2012, 20:50   #29
CJStudent
Fenced In

Quote:
Yep. All good reasons for me not to get the lights and siren, (both required in KS, as you can't have one without the other). I figure if I have to use my personal vehicle then I will get any other equipment issued to me on the spot for the purposes intended, and probably wind up manning an escape post or something with it. Or, be a courier getting information out to nearby agencies.
If that happens, they can give me a g-ride.

KY is weird, though; state law allows blue lights/siren for LE, with red being able to be added to the mix at the county/local level. Corrections (used to be just state, now state and county level as of last year) is only authorized blue lights--no siren. That makes absolutely no sense to me.

Quote:
Old 05-03-2012, 20:58   #30
Hack
Gold Membership
Crazy CO

Quote:
If that happens, they can give me a g-ride.

KY is weird, though; state law allows blue lights/siren for LE, with red being able to be added to the mix at the county/local level. Corrections (used to be just state, now state and county level as of last year) is only authorized blue lights--no siren. That makes absolutely no sense to me.
Well, here at the state level and below, red lights at a minimum and sirens. For federal level they leave us be to do our own things, which of course varies a little bit by agency. Most federal in this area is red and blue with take down lights. The little plug in thing we had was red and blue, and to be placed in the windshield area. In fact for a while all of our vehicles had that type after we got rid of the old windshield set up, and sirens. Now we have the basic kit in each chase car, with everything else being a plane Jane vehicle.

Of course perimeter patrol is fully equipped with the basics.

Last edited by Hack; 05-03-2012 at 21:00..
Old 05-03-2012, 21:04   #31
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9medic View Post
I also have a traffic vest in the same bag.
I do as well. I have always carried a first aid/breakdown kit in my cars, long before I ever thought about being a cop.

Of all the things I figure I will have to do off duty and would do off duty, a crach where I have to jump into action at the mighty traffic director is probably it. Making a traffic vest among my most realistic and valuable off duty tools.

Whenever you get mad as hell about it all, grab your rifle and head outside. If you are the only one there...it's not time yet

"Few men desire liberty; most men wish only for a just master." - Sallust
Rabbi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 21:21   #32
CJStudent
Fenced In

Quote:
Well, here at the state level and below, red lights at a minimum and sirens. For federal level they leave us be to do our own things, which of course varies a little bit by agency. Most federal in this area is red and blue with take down lights. The little plug in thing we had was red and blue, and to be placed in the windshield area. In fact for a while all of our vehicles had that type after we got rid of the old windshield set up, and sirens. Now we have the basic kit in each chase car, with everything else being a plane Jane vehicle.

Of course perimeter patrol is fully equipped with the basics.
We run red/blue dash lights; mostly LED, with a few strobe still in there. Mostly vans, with dash light only and siren. Our few cars seem to have both dash and deck lights, though I've only seen a car used once since I've been here (chase on a guy leaving and coming back via ambulance, off our hospital floor). Perimeter has a full red/blue halogen lightbar (Code 3 Excaliber) with takedowns and alleys. The bus seems to have a siren speaker visable, but I've never seen lights on it.

Quote:
Old 05-03-2012, 21:29   #33
Hack
Gold Membership
Crazy CO

Every institution is a little different. We have had chase vehicles for some time, because of the fact that we had high/max back in the day. Now, they are mainly used for other official uses as needed. Of course we have a couple of vans or so, with lights, trucks with lights and sirens, bus with what have you, special ops vehicle and what not with equipment. Some of our stuff is just parked in case of need now a days, since nothing really happens for the most part here, LOL.
Old 05-06-2012, 18:23   #34
Magicmanmb

Saw the perfect example of an EDP wannabe at the gas station today. Gassing up my car @ c-store care next to me is a plain crown vic pillar mounted spotlight, set of lights over the rear view. Guy is wearing a t-shirt and OD BDU pants, with a pistol exposed. Back design on his shirt is so close to the State Law Enforcement logo I did a double take because of the open display (FELONY in SC for non-LEO) the logo was of a bail bonding agency in another county. I called and had him pulled. Searching the car he had transport belt, fold down shield, strobes, blue light, shotgun rack w/870, badges from several local agencies, raid jacket, 3 shirts w/badges embroidered on & POLICE across the back. Plus better body armor than we have.
Fun part he has been convicted in 3 different states for stalking, menacing, ADW, Impersonation & felon in posession of firearms. His bond hearing will be Monday. Have the feeling a few rapes will be cleared in other areas.
Magicmanmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 18:46   #35
nyycanseco33
Da Fk'n Man

Send a message via AIM to nyycanseco33 Send a message via Yahoo to nyycanseco33 Send a message via Skype™ to nyycanseco33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonder140 View Post
OK...whacker

Do you really think it's safe to be driving that fast? I don't ever drive 90 even in my fully marked cvp. Just saying...does no good to possibly cause another accident responding to an emergency. Not worth it. I can't see any agency standing behind someone who is driving in a reckless manner. Food for thought.
Yes reckless driving is frowned upon and should not be tolerated... However if the firefighter/emt is driving like mrs daisy to the station then you all would change your tone if it was your house burning or your loved one in the car accident or in need of medical treatment... You all look at first responders poorly and it blows my mind that you cut them down but are quick to change your tune when SHTF and it affects you personally

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Old 05-06-2012, 19:09   #36
jhooten
NRA Life Member

Just a suggestion, Check your insurance policy before you do.
jhooten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:22   #37
Oso

I see a lot of the red flashers on vehicles around here. You can't throw a stone and hit somebody that is not a volunteer fireman or EMT. I know a guy who has more gear, lights, and equipment than most full fire departments. He is a real nice upstanding guy. It's just his passion. His reason for not going more than volunteer is that he makes a lot more money in his day job.

FWIW I've never seen a LEO in this area that has lights on their personal vehicles and none have take home cars, except maybe the chief (not sure).

Last edited by Oso; 05-07-2012 at 01:23..
Oso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:07   #38
Kadetklapp
Methberry PD

It is an epic no-no for any LEO in my county to have lights for the purpose of, well, being an LEO. The only exception is a couple of town marshals who own their own cars and have equipped them accordingly. These cars are low-mileage department lease returns that they were able to buy with their own money and lease to the towns they work for. The car is plated with police plates, insured by the town and the town splits maintenance and fuel costs with the owner.

In the other counties I work, it's not uncommon for deputies and reserves to have old CVPIs and Impalas festooned with red and blues for use on paid traffic details in the Metro area. I don't really know how they are getting away with it though, as the cars aren't plated accordingly.

I have never understood why it's ok and appropriate for a VFD to run around with his pickup truck festooned with $3000.00 worth of lights to respond to the station, but off-duty LEO's cannot do the same. Especially in this day, when we are losing our take-home cars right and left. Oh well.

Last edited by Kadetklapp; 05-07-2012 at 07:09..
Kadetklapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:54   #39
Oso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadetklapp View Post
It is an epic no-no for any LEO in my county to have lights for the purpose of, well, being an LEO. The only exception is a couple of town marshals who own their own cars and have equipped them accordingly. These cars are low-mileage department lease returns that they were able to buy with their own money and lease to the towns they work for. The car is plated with police plates, insured by the town and the town splits maintenance and fuel costs with the owner.

In the other counties I work, it's not uncommon for deputies and reserves to have old CVPIs and Impalas festooned with red and blues for use on paid traffic details in the Metro area. I don't really know how they are getting away with it though, as the cars aren't plated accordingly.

I have never understood why it's ok and appropriate for a VFD to run around with his pickup truck festooned with $3000.00 worth of lights to respond to the station, but off-duty LEO's cannot do the same. Especially in this day, when we are losing our take-home cars right and left. Oh well.
Probably because the VFD is expected to respond 24/7. Most LEOs aren't. Just my guess.
Oso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:25   #40
CJStudent
Fenced In

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oso View Post
Probably because the VFD is expected to respond 24/7. Most LEOs aren't. Just my guess.
You'd be surprised at that. Most LEOs are in fact on call 24/7 for major events; it just doesn't happen that often. I've had an emergency "return IMMEDIATELY" message right after I got off work. Luckily, I wasn't that far away, and it was just somebody screwing up testing the emergency recall system (sends automated phone calls out), but yeah, it happens. I'd say it happens more often with smaller agencies, though it can happen with bigger ones for major situations (think riots).

Quote: