Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-05-2012, 00:47   #1
nyycanseco33
Da Fk'n Man

Send a message via AIM to nyycanseco33 Send a message via Yahoo to nyycanseco33 Send a message via Skype™ to nyycanseco33
Bugout bags... What's in yours?

What do you use for bugout bags and what do you carry in them for supplies, also what quantities too... Looking for more ideas to add or how to change mine to make it better, others can benefit from this also

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Old 05-05-2012, 01:18   #2
SolidGun
Addicted 2 guns

You need to state whereabouts you live and if you have family members to get the best input from the right people.

My entire bag setup changed when I had twins and we moved to a colder region.
SolidGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 01:35   #3
nyycanseco33
Da Fk'n Man

Send a message via AIM to nyycanseco33 Send a message via Yahoo to nyycanseco33 Send a message via Skype™ to nyycanseco33
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidGun View Post
You need to state whereabouts you live and if you have family members to get the best input from the right people.

My entire bag setup changed when I had twins and we moved to a colder region.
I live in upstate NY right on the south east corner of lake Ontario, I am single so no family members that will be tagging along right now but if that ever changes I can add to my kit

Just curious what others have added that I may have missed or just never even thought about

Old 05-05-2012, 11:01   #4
Protus

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyycanseco33 View Post
What do you use for bugout bags and what do you carry in them for supplies, also what quantities too... Looking for more ideas to add or how to change mine to make it better, others can benefit from this also

i use a Kelty Falcon 4000ci military ruck.
Mostly run it with the lid off and the low pro lid on. so its around the 3k ci mark.
I hike with it so contents change per season.

Water-
3L c-bak full
1L- nalgene on the belt
3x 2l platypus hosers with caps vs hoses.
katadyn mini.
sweet water drops
survival straw.

Shelter-
8x8 sil tarp
8x5 ground sheet
bug netting
sleeping bag- winter kelty 20f down bag or marmot trestles 32f, bivy bag . Summer- small snug pack style jungle bag.
therma rest-usgi issue
( clothing) columbia shirts,pants, UA hot or cold gear , and cabot and sons/smartwool socks, mesh boxer briefs. Base layers for winter and poly pros. Watch cap and gloves

Food-
assorted freeze dreid,mre and cliff bars
drink mixes( emergen-C mix)
trail mix/dried fruits

cooking- stainless steel cup, alum spork

fire- fire steel, matches, bic lighters

comms- strobe,led light sticks, 2m HT. cell phone, signal mirror

FAK- baisc small kit and IFAK

odd's /ends
sun glasses
bandana
sewing kit
mora knife
surefire G2
led head lamp ( energizer )
550 cord
small camo bungees( 6 inch size)
3-4 non climbing carbiners
flip flops
light stick( 1-3)
small pad,pen and pencil.
Maps( 3-4 Ao maps)
Compass
wrist compass
thermometer with small compass on it
spare multitool
sapre batts for lights
weapons support-
varies. when i hike i run 2 extra mags for my g17. Vs the 6 i'd carry bugging out ,same with rifle ( 100 round or 4 mags whatever i load )

about all of it i think from teh top of my head without dumping it all LOL.

weight is under 40 lbs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by Protus; 05-05-2012 at 11:03..
Protus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 12:26   #5
Deputydave

Simple A.L.I.C.E. pack w/frame that I bought off Ebay. Rugged, durable and has plenty of compartments and ways to attach things.

Inside, let's see, the pack doubles as my primitive camping and BOB...

Tuna fish can stove and smaller cat food can stove. These are great since I'm too chea...er, frugal to spend the $5 on an esbit stove

Seriously, I like to be redundant in several areas such as making fire, knives, signalling, cordage and ways to cook/boil or sanitize water, lighting sources etc. So these are easily made and light.

First aid kit
Folding shovel
Several knives of various lenghts (I normally use Kabar, Mora and a attached a Gerber to the shoulder strap plus my normal Swiss Army and Spyderco folders)
Rain ponchos
Firesteel (several of these in various spots in pack, on my person, in knife sheath)
Magnesium block w/striker
Waterproof matches
Various tinder (cotton ball w/p-jelly, dryer lint from towels etc)
Various flashlights (LED as well as mini-mags and head lamp)
Sawyer filtration bottle (as well as some light weight aluminum and plastic types for additonal water storage) (also have 2% iodine as back up)
Whistle
Signal mirror
Various cordage (including 550 and some glow-in-the-dark for general camping use and some bungee cords)
Duct tape
Clothing differs depending on what the situation is going to be
Normal toiletry items
Cooking utensils and items
Tarp
Tent
Sleeping bag
Emergency blankets
Multi tool
Spare batteries
Food appropriate to the situation
Compass on my watch
My off-duty sidearm of course

Some other stuff but I'm drawing a blank at the moment.

That is just the BOB. I also have similar stuff in the vehicles for my GHB except stuff like tent and cooking stuff. Also, if I'm just doing a simple hike or bike ride I've got a small kit around the Mora (Cody) knife I wear with small first aid, flashlight, whistle, firesteel, cordage, tinder etc. All in a reflective, waterproof bag.

Deputydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 21:45   #6
Aceman

Reserved space for more time.

Also - how long is your pack intended to last you, and is it by foot or vehicle?
Aceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 17:29   #7
FireForged
Millenium #3936

honestly, there are tons of bug out bag threads in this forum, I have contributed to 99% of them but I dont have the energy at the moment.
Old 05-06-2012, 17:37   #8
nyycanseco33
Da Fk'n Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireForged View Post
honestly, there are tons of bug out bag threads in this forum, I have contributed to 99% of them but I dont have the energy at the moment.
I asked a simple question and if you don't want to answer then fine just carry on and move along to the next thread instead of wasting our time here with your sarcastic and uninformative post

Old 05-06-2012, 17:46   #9
nyycanseco33
Da Fk'n Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
Reserved space for more time.

Also - how long is your pack intended to last you, and is it by foot or vehicle?
I have to consider both options, if I can use a vehicle then great but in the odd case that I am unable to I may have to go by foot so I have to tailor it to be used for both I guess... My pack is intended to last as long as possible but mainly for 72 hours without refilling or running low on supply

Old 05-07-2012, 05:13   #10
RatDrall

Quote:
The bag is a Maxpedition Condor II. Inside is everything I'd need to spend a few nights at a hotel, on a friend's couch, in my car, in the woods, or in an alley.

First Aid
Shelter
Warmth
Water
Defense
Food

...Pretty much in that order.

I keep the bag small and mobile. The biggest I'd go is a Maxpedition Condor II. It has straps on the bottom to attach and additional smaller bag, which I keep packed with a change of sturdy clothes (paid off after apartment fire forced me out. I got dressed in the parking lot, armed myself, and carried on while my neighbors stood around wearing their pajamas wondering when they were going to be let back in) so that I don't waste weight and space in the bag with bulky clothing that I don't absolutely need. It's nice to be able to drop 10 lbs of pack and carry on if you have to. The backpack has the essentials, only what I'd need, and is supplemented by duffel bags with food, water, more clothes, winter clothes, a nice tent, etc. that would be very nice to have if camping out of the truck, but could do without if I had to leave it behind.
RatDrall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:04   #11
Dexters

Quote:
I live in upstate NY right on the south east corner of lake Ontario, I am single so no family members that will be tagging along right now but if that ever changes I can add to my kit

Just curious what others have added that I may have missed or just never even thought about

We need more information.

What time of year will you be bugging out? Summer, Fall etc

Where will you be going?

What supplies are at your final destination.

How long will it take you to get there?

What do you currently have in your bag?

A Bug list for FL in Summer might not work for you.

Last edited by Dexters; 05-07-2012 at 07:47..
Dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:50   #12
quake

Personally, I use a camelback molle hydration vest, with an Ares combat-12 (iirc) pack that can attach/detach fairly quickly, allowing use of just the vest & bladder if desired.

Not to be vague, but the questions others asked above are important to address, even if not publicly. Your personal situation (location, likely distance from home, area type, family needs, etc) will dictate or influence a lot of things.

My comments from:
http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show....php?t=1378834
Quote:
Me personally, I carry a GHB (get home bag) in the vehicle, which is sort of the opposite, yet sort of the same, as a bug-out bag. Opposite in that its job is to help me get to my home rather than away from it, but the same in that the requirements for either are very similar. I'd need clothing, tools, and other items for either. Simply all kept in a rubbermaid tote in my truck, along with another, similar tote with vehicle emergency gear (jumper cables, two strap, 120ac inverter, etc).

In the "ghb" tote (in addition to the backpack for actually carrying things if on foot), I carry good boots, extra boot socks (no telling what I'd be wearing at the time), change of rough clothes, insulated coveralls in the winter (just put them back in a couple weeks ago), hat, gloves, basic food centered on calories, ease of preparation (or lack of preparation) and some comfort (instant coffee mix etc), a battery powered am/fm/noaa radio with earphone, a middle-of-the-road gen-2 D-300 nightvision monocular, infrared flashlight, a PUR voyager water purifier, and a small, low-end garmin etrex gps. In addition to batteries being stored with (but not "in") those devices, due to my work I always have literally dozens more batteries that fit those devices (aaa, aa, cr-123 mostly) in my truck's toolbox as well. Also in the tote are lighters & other firestarters (including fresnel lens and magnesium/flint starter), old gerber multitool, couple emergency blankets, a ziploc bag with a half-dozen N95 masks, nylon twine, duct tape, all kinds of little things like that.

Aside from stuff in the tote, in the truck are also a regular good flashlight and leatherman supertool (in the glove box), a .45LC snubnose with ammo & speedloaders, spare ammo for my daily carry pistols, and an old M1 carbine with mags & ammo. I'm in the truck (an expedition actually) so much that I carry a case of bottled water in the back seat so I can just grab one when driving. So in addition to the water purifier in the ghb, I pretty much always have anywhere from a half-dozen to a couple dozen bottles right there in the truck. Basically, there's pretty much anything I'd need to "get me home" from wherever I happened to be, and whatever circumstance (ice storm, flood, terrorist incident, whatever) that I might find myself in, and that's the idea for me - get me home, or to my workplace (in another county), or our secondary location near family members - whichever is closer at the time.
This one's pretty good as well:
http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show....php?t=1417466

This thread has a lot of info, as well as a "contents calculator" spreadsheet link in it, to help point out weak areas. Not everything will apply to everybody and every situation, but worth looking at.
http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=812551

"Only problem with women my own age, is they're so damn old." - my dad at 89...
quake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 19:04   #13
Aceman

Here is a fairly recent version of mine and the whole thread of suggestions that go with it:

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show...survival+pouch
Aceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 19:41   #14
actionshooter10
CLM Number 19
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
I asked a simple question and if you don't want to answer then fine just carry on and move along to the next thread instead of wasting our time here with your sarcastic and uninformative post

You asked a question that has been asked hundreds of times.

Look at fireforged's join date and post count and compare it to yours.

Maybe he's got knowledge about this site you don't.

You may find his suggestion of doing a site search to be of value.
"Firearms stand next in importance to the constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence … from the hour the Pilgrims landed to the present day, events, occurences and tendencies prove that to ensure peace security and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable … the very atmosphere of firearms anywhere restrains evil interference — they deserve a place of honor with all that's good."
George Washington
First President of the United States
actionshooter10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 19:58   #15
nyycanseco33
Da Fk'n Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionshooter10 View Post
You asked a question that has been asked hundreds of times.

Look at fireforged's join date and post count and compare it to yours.

Maybe he's got knowledge about this site you don't.

You may find his suggestion of doing a site search to be of value.
If he was presented as a respectful manner and treated me with respect then I would but he disrespected me and others who are just curious about our bags, if you don't have anything to contribute then carry on and don't post here... Thanks for the no help

Your comment is the reason why a lot of people avoid asking questions because of the smart remarks and sarcasm instead of a polite comment directing someone to the source of info to help them, very disrespectful and unacceptable

Last edited by nyycanseco33; 05-09-2012 at 20:11..
nyycanseco33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 20:10   #16
Angry Fist
Lifetime Membership
The Original®

Cash. And ammo.
I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, s**t-kickers, Methodists, and the GTDS.

Angry Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 20:10   #17
Stevekozak
Returning video

Quote:
If he was presented as a respectful manner and treated me with respect then I would but he disrespected me and others who are just curious about our bags, if you don't have anything to contribute then carry on and don't post here... Thanks for the no help

Wow! I suggest you pack a few pairs of panties in your BOB, as the pair you got on seems wadded up pretty tight!!
Old 05-09-2012, 20:11   #18
techiej

Silver bullets & wooden stakes.

http://rvschooner.com
techiej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 20:13   #19
nyycanseco33
Da Fk'n Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevekozak View Post
Wow! I suggest you pack a few pairs of panties in your BOB, as the pair you got on seems wadded up pretty tight!!
I suggest you carry on, your remarks are not wanted here, please stop with the poor remarks

Old 05-09-2012, 20:22   #20
Bolster
Not Ready Yet!

Want to make sure you checked out this stickied thread:

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=812551

Don't yell at me if you don't like the above link or have already seen it. I'm trying to be helpful. You seem like you are looking for a fight.

Last edited by Bolster; 05-09-2012 at 20:23..
Bolster is offline   Reply With Quote