Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-06-2012, 19:57   #1
norton

Lyman cast bullet mold in .452

I cast up about 100 .452 bullets from range scrap. The mold # is 452374-225 grain.
I sized them down to .451 witha Lee sizer die, and pan lubed them this time. Pan lubing is another story, I think I will save this method possibly for future rifle cast bullets.
Anyway I got out to the range today with about 30 rounds, and shot them over my chronograph.
Results
In my Colt 1911 the avg was 862 fps. Bullet over 6.0 grains of Unique.
In my S/W 325 the results were 803 fps avg.
The 1911 shot a nice 3 round group at 15 yards off hand before my front site decided to try and walk out of the dovetail.
The revolver was about as accurate as it ever is with me behind the trigger. Meaning I can keep them on a paper plate at 15 yards, but that's about it.
So far this bullet looks good.
I will get to business when I find the time and cast up a few hundred of these.
Old 05-06-2012, 20:54   #2
sdelam

I use that mold for a 1911 and a G36. Works good but I size at .452 though a lyman 450.
Old 05-06-2012, 21:57   #3
labdwakin

Send a message via Yahoo to labdwakin
Norton,

You need to get that Lyman 450 up and running Far less messy and time consuming. If you don't want to buy the heater base for it you can get one of those heat guns for stripping paint and use it to heat up your sizer body. I'm in the same group with sdelam though, I'd size em at .452. Good boolit choice though, I'm biding my time til I get one of those moulds in a 4 cavity.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:15   #4
norton

Quote:
Originally Posted by labdwakin View Post
Norton,

You need to get that Lyman 450 up and running Far less messy and time consuming. If you don't want to buy the heater base for it you can get one of those heat guns for stripping paint and use it to heat up your sizer body. I'm in the same group with sdelam though, I'd size em at .452. Good boolit choice though, I'm biding my time til I get one of those moulds in a 4 cavity.
Louis
Will your bullets chamber at .452? I read where several reloaders say they won't. I know it depends on the barrel used.
I will get around to running the 450. I had some pan lube material that I made up last year and couldn't get consistent filling of the grease groove. I added a little alox and that seemed to do the trick. But it is too messy and time consuming a process.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:33   #5
Zombie Steve
Decap Pin Killa

I'd definitely size them at .452".

Now quit screwing around and get a Star Sizer.
Zombie Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:52   #6
Colorado4Wheel

Lee sizers are often undersized, you can open them up a little pretty easily.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:44   #7
GioaJack
Conifer Jack

Have never seen or heard of a .452 not clambering. You may end up with leading problems with that sized bullet unless your barrel is running .450... which is doubtful.

Jack

A PACIFIST is someone who won't raise their hands to defend themselves...
A COWARD is someone who won't raise their hands to defend someone else.
GioaJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:11   #8
unclebob

Quote:
Originally Posted by labdwakin View Post
Norton,

I think a better way would be to get a piece of aluminum plate attach the sizer to the plate attach this to the table top then place a cloths iron on the back side of sizer on the aluminum plate.
But getting a Star sizer would be the best way to go.
GSSF Life Member
Old 05-07-2012, 10:14   #9
Colorado4Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioaJack View Post
Have never seen or heard of a .452 not clambering. You may end up with leading problems with that sized bullet unless your barrel is running .450... which is doubtful.

Jack
Well, he could always buy a Lone Wolf barrel. That should be fun.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:58   #10
n2extrm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado4Wheel View Post
Well, he could always buy a Lone Wolf barrel. That should be fun.
Trouble maker or was it troll?

Old 05-07-2012, 11:02   #11
Colorado4Wheel

I am a 10,000 post TROLL.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:56   #12
GioaJack
Conifer Jack

The cheapest and easiest way is to just set a flxible neck lamp behind the izer with a 60 to 100 watt light buld in it. It'll heat your lube on all but the very coldest of days. (Of course buying an actual heater is easier yet but at your advanced age you may not have the life expectance to make the monetary expendature worthwhile. )

Jack

Old 05-07-2012, 12:48   #13
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by norton View Post
Louis
Will your bullets chamber at .452? I read where several reloaders say they won't. I know it depends on the barrel used.
I will get around to running the 450. I had some pan lube material that I made up last year and couldn't get consistent filling of the grease groove. I added a little alox and that seemed to do the trick. But it is too messy and time consuming a process.
All my 45acps get a 0.452" bullet. Even my match Barsto bbl 1911 chambers fine. You'll likely get better results w/ a bullet larger vs one smaller. I don't think I have a single 45acp that won't group under 2" @ 50ft w/ any lead bullet over WST. A couple will do closer to one inch for 5shots.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 05-07-2012 at 12:50..
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:59   #14
MudFlap379

Quote:
(Of course buying an actual heater is easier yet but at your advanced age you may not have the life expectance to make the monetary expendature worthwhile. )

Jack
Jack, I've seen yer pix, and videos. At your age, I wouldn't even buy green bananas! :-)
Old 05-07-2012, 13:32   #15
GioaJack
Conifer Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudFlap379 View Post
Jack, I've seen yer pix, and videos. At your age, I wouldn't even buy green bananas! :-)

Did you start off in life as a woman and were we married to each other at one time? Your attitude seems very familiar.

Jack

Last edited by GioaJack; 05-07-2012 at 13:33..
Old 05-07-2012, 14:32   #16
MudFlap379

Quote:
Did you start off in life as a woman and were we married to each other at one time? Your attitude seems very familiar.

Jack
13 years in service to my great country, interrupted by 9 years of civilian life, 3 divorces, a combat deployment, 6 years as a truck driver and being a bottom-feeding contractor in the aviation industry have all contributed to my being a quick-witted, sometimes well-meaning, brutally honest smart ass! ;-)
Old 05-07-2012, 14:34   #17
MudFlap379

Quote:

Jack
Oh, and one more thing. You ain't foolin me! I know a closet Lee FCD user when I see one!!!
Old 05-07-2012, 14:45   #18
norton

Ok guys I will size them to .452 next and see what that does. I have only loaded and fired about 30 cast bullet rounds at .451 in 2 guns in .45 acp.
Old 05-07-2012, 17:00   #19
Zombie Steve
Decap Pin Killa

Quote:
13 years in service to my great country, interrupted by 9 years of civilian life, 3 divorces, a combat deployment, 6 years as a truck driver and being a bottom-feeding contractor in the aviation industry have all contributed to my being a quick-witted, sometimes well-meaning, brutally honest smart ass! ;-)
I think you've found your new home here in GTR... as long as you're also a leadwallet CRB.
Old 05-07-2012, 17:43   #20
MudFlap379

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Steve View Post
I think you've found your new home here in GTR... as long as you're also a leadwallet CRB.
As much as it pains me to admit not knowing something, I'm at a loss. Leadwallet CRB?

Sorry, OP, for partially hijacking yer thread.....
Old 05-07-2012, 21:06   #21
atakawow

Quote:
As much as it pains me to admit not knowing something, I'm at a loss. Leadwallet CRB?

Sorry, OP, for partially hijacking yer thread.....
CRB = Cheap Rat Bastard.

We CRB will scrounge anything and everything that is salvageable!
atakawow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 23:06   #22
MudFlap379

Quote:
Originally Posted by atakawow View Post
CRB = Cheap Rat Bastard.

I work for a gun-nazi French Canadian company. nearly a year ago, right after I started working there, the tree-huggers decided to be more "green" and European ISO compliant, so naturally the decision was made to purge the entire plant of all lead. They brought in a huge dumpster and started tossing it in. I spied a pallet with about 1500 pounds on it, in neat little 30 pound bricks. I asked my supervisor to give me a scrap metal pass, so I could load the pallet into the back of my truck. He in turn asked his boss, who said "Oh no, that's HazMat. We gotta pay to have it hauled off." Realizing that Tempest Fugit, I went right to work rat-holing what I could stash. I've since carried it out in my pockets, 5, 10, 15 pounds at a time, depending on what I happen to be wearing or driving. I currently have about 600 pounds of lead in my garage, and about 400 more at work to smuggle out.

Does that qualify me as a CRB? :-)
Old 05-07-2012, 23:17   #23
Zombie Steve
Decap Pin Killa

It's a good start.

Have you ever had a .357 mag case split at the mouth so you trim it down to .38 special size even though you have a bucket of .38 special brass?
Old 05-08-2012, 02:12   #24
MudFlap379

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Steve View Post
It's a good start.

Have you ever had a .357 mag case split at the mouth so you trim it down to .38 special size even though you have a bucket of .38 special brass?
Nah, I'm kind of a 45 elitist - both auto and Colt. But, when I'm running the bandsaw to get the lead blocks down to pocket size, I make it a point to collect the cuttings. I've probably gained an extra 3 or 4 bullets that way. I also refuse to use good 45 auto brass to set up changes on my press. Instead, I use that crappy SPP brass.

I also bought some wax toilet bowl rings for 10 cents (jewed them down from 20) at a garage sale thinking I would make bullet lube out of em.

I use lizard bedding instead of tumble media because its 50 cents cheaper for a bag, and two blocks closer to the house.

Used the ole lady's muffin pan for ingot molds, then bought her replacement at goodwill for 75 cents.

Am I getting close?
Old 05-08-2012, 09:07   #25
unclebob

Quote:
Originally Posted by atakawow View Post
CRB = Cheap Rat Bastard.

And here I always thought it was Cheap Reloading Bastard.
GSSF Life Member